Welcome to Gaia! ::

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

*~*~*~*

Ah yes, another beloved sports anime.

I'll be honest, I'm not too big on sports anime (mostly because I'm not too big on most sports), but after having this anime recommended to me-- and upon the realization that it was focused around volleyball-- there was no way I could just leave it alone.

I'm sure it doesn't go without say that I have next to no experience with this genre (unless you count the ever-popular Free!) so deciding to let it sit aside until I completed 4 other series wasn't a big decision on my part.

However, after letting it collect dust in my bookmarks until it reached its 19th episode, I finally decided to give it a watch.
I regret ever doubting its ability to entertain.

While it may be true that the show isn't always thrilling, there is always more than one occasion per episode where it will completely grab your attention (like in the first episode when Hinata had that cold, blank stare after taking a dive and a tumble for the ball).

These moments gave me enough reason to continue watching late into the night, and ended up being the only anime to ever make me audibly laugh. More than just the aggressive blowing air out of my nose, but actual stomach-flexing laughter.

Being a veteran volleyball player, I found myself able to connect with each player's inner-turmoil, as well as astounded by each play (I know they're fake, but they're still amazing). I never really understood the appeal to sports anime before having watched this, and now I'm anxiously awaiting the release of the next episode.

I know I may be getting ahead of myself-- I often do-- but out of the 100+ anime I have ever watched, Haikyuu! has already earned its place in my top 5 favorite anime of all time.

So, for those of you who have watched and/or read Haikyuu!, what do you think? Are you as impressed with this anime as I am? Or did you expect bigger and better things from it?

*~*~*~*

Chatty Giver

4,150 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Friendly 100
i. LOVE. haikyuu.

however i dropped the anime b/c it tends to make things overly dramatic when they weren't so dramatic in the manga...plus the pacing is 'meh' and it also shafts some of the side characters who are well presented in the manga

so while i love the story and the characters i'm sticking to the manga for this one ^__^
I only got into sports anime because of Kuroko no Basket, which I only watched because I was bored and then--found myself falling in love with KnB. 4laugh

I'm not a huge fan of sports in general, mostly because I've always been fail at them. I was always last picked in PE class. crying

But that doesn't stop me from enjoying sports anime. Well, I say "sports anime" but I've only seen two. razz

Either way, I heart Haikyuu! I intend to read the manga alongside the anime, but given Retro Space's post, maybe I rushed through the manga? I took a break from anime in general a while ago and I can't really remember much of it. sweatdrop I think I might re-read the manga.

I'm very much excited for the upcoming episodes! I think Production I.G. did a great job in terms of animation, but I do admit I'm a little worried about them skipping tiny but important details--like they did in KnB.

Precious Sweetheart

Yes, I love Haikyuu!! I actually stopped watching anime for a while, but watching this series invigorated my interest in anime in general. It happily sits in my top five, too. I love the animation for the anime, but the manga is amazing too, if not more so. c:

Tipsy Wife

I also got into the sport anime bc of knb just like indelicacy xD Haikyuu is absolutely fantastic to watch. Each character has their own problems and seeing them play games against other schools really gets me pumped up!

Divine Duck

14,375 Points
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Shady Hands Squad 250
  • Invisibility 100
I usually steer away from sports anime, but HQ was getting a lot of attention on tumblr. I watched the first episode and found that I really liked it!! Then I read the manga and it was amazing.
It's got a really nice soundtrack too! The pacing is just right.
I actually love this anime.
I watch anime when the summary intrigues me, so I can't say that I avoid sports anime in particular.

To be honest, although it was getting a lot of attention on several websites, I held back on watching it since it didn't sound too interesting. A couple of guys playing volleyball - yeah.
After dropping Ace of Diamond because I disliked the main character, I wasn't too keen to get into another sports anime where the main character could be as cliche as hell and have the attitude to "never give up".

But, I'm glad I gave it chance. More than glad, actually.
Haikyuu is easily in my top ten.

I love their expressions at times (I mean come on it's totally hilarious) and I can honestly say there isn't one character which I can hate. Which is kind of tough sometimes, actually. Just when I thought I finally found someone I disliked - bam - he turns out to be a major fluffy cutie pie and I'm left with tears streaming down my cheeks because I doubted him.

Urgh.
I love Haikyuu.
Retro Space

I'm really glad you said that, it makes me want to start up on the manga myself! (Even though my list is ever-growing and I blatantly ignore the existence of over half of the things in my bookmarks.)

indelicacy

I have a huge mental block with starting KnB because basketball is extremely unappealing to me and I'm not particularly fond of the art. However, I do hear lots of good things about it and now that I'm discovering my affection for sports anime, I'm starting to entertain the idea of starting it. Would you recommend me reading or watching it?

Going back to Haikyuu!, do you think the stories for the manga and anime are lining up pretty well? Would you say the anime "brings it to life" or is more of a twist on what you've read?

Princessive

I'm really happy you're back into anime again ^^ And that you think as highly of Haikyuu! as me.

himup

I'm a huge sucker for character depth, so I was really happy that they're digging into the pasts of each player. I also love how they all have really distinct and quirky personalities! Especially when they brought in the characters from Kuroneko. I had a great time pairing up the characters and watching them all interact with each other.

Serendipper

I wonder what it is about Haikyuu! that sets it apart from other sports anime. For all I know, there could be relatively nothing and I've just had a narrow view on the entire genre, but to me it really sounds like almost everyone who watches/reads this anime/manga ends up enjoying it for one reason or another.

Soujei

I can definitely agree with you on that. The summary for the anime was... disappointing. It really didn't give me much drive to start up on the show, and I expected the MC to end up being a moderately plain and annoying person. (Okay, maybe he is a little annoying at times-- but let's face it, it's pretty cute.)

Their expressions are the greatest! I was sobbing after the Dean got hit by Hinata's shanked ball. I must have replayed it at least 10 times (and maybe possibly recorded it on my phone for later viewing when I get down in the dumps).

*~*~*~*

OKAY, NOT GOING TO LIE: I was a little over-whelmed by how many people had commented on this thread, but desperately wanted to give feedback to all of you. I'm really glad you guys all had such nice things to say about the show and manga.

Chatty Giver

4,150 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Friendly 100
Mortal Moon
Retro Space

I'm really glad you said that, it makes me want to start up on the manga myself! (Even though my list is ever-growing and I blatantly ignore the existence of over half of the things in my bookmarks.)

oooh please do! plus you get introduced to a bunch of LOVELY characters that won't get introduced in the series until much later. i think you'll definitely enjoy it. plus the way the artist draws funny faces is REALLY endearing and cute :3
Mortal Moon

Haha, same, same. Daichi's face when the wig flew to his head was just priceless, and I'm still sniggering about it to this day. I made a gif - my first ever - and that was the focus.

Haikyuu has made me laugh plenty of times since then, like when Hinata hit the ball to the back of Kageyama's head.

I have to say Hinata is one of my favourite characters. His personality isn't too mainstream. I have to say he absolutely makes me squeal when he makes his super serious face - you know, that moment when he's so absorbed in the game his face kinda goes all blank and creepy?

He's amazing.

My favourite character, above all the other favourites, is Kenma though.
My pudding-haired hottie. heart
Retro Space

Ah~ That sounds great. I really really really loved the facial expressions, so seeing how the artist draws it sounds amazing. I'll make it a point to start it after I finish Shiawase Kissa Sanchoume.
(By the way, I didn't realize before, but I'm digging your signature.)

Chatty Giver

4,150 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Friendly 100
Mortal Moon
Retro Space

Ah~ That sounds great. I really really really loved the facial expressions, so seeing how the artist draws it sounds amazing. I'll make it a point to start it after I finish Shiawase Kissa Sanchoume.
(By the way, I didn't realize before, but I'm digging your signature.)

OMG...I LOVE SHIAWASE KISSA SANCHOUME <3 it was soooooo good ahhh. it's been so long since i read it
i actually recently updated my sig! biggrin so thank you hehe
Soujei

Probably the single best scene from any show I have ever watched.

I absolutely love when Kageyama has that expression of fury on his face. Kageyama and Hinata make a great pair, even outside of volleyball. Their personalities really compliment each others, in a completely chaotic way.

Oh my god, yes. I have a thing for yandere/yangire characters anyway, so seeing that always makes my heart skip a beat. I never thought I'd be attracted to a character that's two inches shorter than me, especially when he's surrounded by guys of my ideal height.

Kenma was the greatest, I really loved watching him play and analyzing what was happening around him. I think the next time Kuroneko and Kurasuno play against each other, he's going to find himself enjoying the game. I'm getting excited just thinking about it.

I don't think I have a favorite character yet, but I have to say... Tsukishima and Asahi are the greatest. Their personalities don't match up at all, but I am extremely drawn to both of them.

Tsukishima for his more controversial attitude, his stereotypical character type, and (admittedly) his height.

I think my reason for Asahi has more to do with my RL experience with volleyball (I used to be my teams' ace), so I connect with him well. Plus I love big guys with soft, mushy hearts. Kind of reminds me of a scruffy version of Makoto from Free!.

Retro Space

OH MY GOD, YOU KNOW IT.
Don't spoil, don't spoil. I started it last night so I'm only at chapter 5 (and hot dang are these chapters long).
Don't mention it! c: I really like GSN and I'm looking forward to watching the new episode later on tonight.

Divine Duck

14,375 Points
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Shady Hands Squad 250
  • Invisibility 100
Mortal Moon

I wonder what it is about Haikyuu! that sets it apart from other sports anime. For all I know, there could be relatively nothing and I've just had a narrow view on the entire genre, but to me it really sounds like almost everyone who watches/reads this anime/manga ends up enjoying it for one reason or another.

I think HQ has a really distinctive art style that I find really appealing. Also I don't think the show is afraid of showing the eccentric and cute sides of characters. imo a lot of sports animes have pretty one-dimensional characters.
HQ~!!!!!

I've only watched about 3 episodes because I'm so busy with school, but I wuvs it. whee The animation is so buttery smooth and the graphics are sublime..... ^_^

I fear though, that I'm one of the extreme minorities by saying Tanaka is my favorite... 3nodding I'm a sucker for the funny guys, lol! Tsukki is my second fave (if it is any help.).

I also LOVE LOVE LOVE the fact that there's already a fan group that's making an otome game based on HQ!! Squee~~ Actually I'm one of the members. (Uh-oh shameless advertising) LOL!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff