Welcome to Gaia! ::

I personally have never heard people call it out. Any opinions on this? Now don't get me wrong, I am not judging anyone on here for liking what they like (I am fan of Highschool of the Dead for example), I just want to ask.

P.s. No I am not new to anime, nor a SJW

Gracious Tycoon

Miyazaki said something somewhat related not too long ago.

I care more about its impact on the story than its impact on society. The characters will never be truly human and relatable if the author treats them in that manner. Japan is spewing out children's stories with sexual content and marketing them to people who are disconnected from reality.

Creeper Bunny

Yeah, I think people are just tired of talking about it.

I mean, you've seen the amount of fanservice in anime. Dating sim type games with cardboard-cutout characters. Stereotypes. Usually people talk about ladies, but it's out there for men, too.

I mean, anime is just another form of media. The story is portrays is gonna have objectification from the creator's biases and pandering to the audience. It's pretty obvious in anime, though.

Yeah, to be honest, I'm a little jaded when it comes to how objectified characters are. I care more about the story and the character development, or how many laughs I can get out of it. For example, I liked Panty and Stocking for making fun of stereotypes, and MM for having weird (albeit totally objectified) characters. I'm drawing a blank for a series I disliked for objectification, but I do dislike it when a female lead arbitrarily needs to be saved by a male lead, like in Princess Knight.

I dunno, does it bother you a lot? I kinda just treat it like a trope, tbh. Are there any series you stopped watching because of it? I know I have, but I'm seriously drawing a blank.
Honestly, it's pointless to try and argue unless you live in Japan. Because Japan doesn't give a s**t about what westerners think. That's not where their money comes from.

Magical Girl

26,725 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Invisibility 100
When people usually talk about sexism, it turns in to misandry or shaming girls, rather than a legitimate conversation about sexism. I also associate it with SJWs who apply senseless meanings to justify their craziness.

Therefore, I don't even bother and prefer that such a thing isn't discussed.

Dardeerling-tea's Husbando

I honestly don't think people care. It's just a cartoon, it's not like real people are getting objectified. It can also be said that said characters act that way because said animes were originally meant for a male fan base. You know I never even thought of this as an issue before because I always just thought that it's common sense that people don't really act that way and you don't treat people as such. It's just a form of entertainment that's not meant to be argued over. No, matter what you do someone is always going to be portrayed as less than ideal. Considering that I hardly ever hear anyone say anything about it and a surprisingly big portion of the fan base is women and none of them have ever really said anything about it, then it's not a big deal.

Heroic Hero

People haven't called out sexism in anime because it's not as mainstream in the West, at least as in other shows. If it was absolutely a mainstream aspect of this culture, you can be sure that feminists would jump all over it, because minorities/women's rights groups have all the advantages currently. If it ever became a mainstream issue instead of a niche interest for some people, than it would be a larger controversial issue. However, this society is already concerned with various rights issues to really care about anime. Also, because it's from another culture, they can show whatever they want as they have different values in Japan.

Also, when it comes down to it, I think that sexism in anime =.... wait for it... FANSERVICE

Quotable Genius

I get the impression that most people in the west just sign anime off as just another thing those wacky Japanese came up with.

I'm sure there are some who wonder why there are so many sexy babes in anime, but I don't question it since there are a lot of very pretty men too.

Eloquent Humorist

11,675 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
You're going to love this.

To answer this question as possibly simple as could be....

It's because those people have nothing else better to do. They think they have a right to complain, which is true, but they have nothing else to look forward to in life.

Dapper Pup

A lot of people have recently complained about the underlying issue of male gaze that seems to be prevalent in a good chunk of anime. I think Kill La Kill and Space Dandy are the two most recent offenders but honestly, I don't see the point.

Not to mention it's a really tired and frankly, boring topic because we're only really arguing about it amongst ourselves and trying to impose our own values on something that technically isn't even ours to make rules about.

Man-Hungry Man-Lover

10,050 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
Go visit Tumblr, you'll never stop seeing people calling it out.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff