Welcome to Gaia! ::

Familiar Friend

I absolutely love them, but I haven't read many since I've just started on the genre emotion_facepalm
Horror manga reads wonderfully, and the handful I've read were mostly by Junji Ito. The endings were just lovely emotion_kirakira I'm currently reading Pet Shop of Horrors by a different mangaka, and the first chapter's got me gawking at the screen for a good 5 minutes whee
Would anyone be kind enough to recommend me a few new manga to read? Preferably completed emotion_yatta

Edit: I'm so excited to read all of them! Thanks everyone emotion_kirakira

Magical Lunatic

Alive: The Final Evolution gets even more bleak when you realize the writer/mangaka died from liver cancer when he finished the series.

Familiar Friend

DOROHEDOROBRO vIh
Alive: The Final Evolution gets even more bleak when you realize the writer/mangaka died from liver cancer when he finished the series.

Oh, gosh... ):
Thank you for your recommendation ^ ^ I'll be sure to read it asap ; ~ ;

Magical Lunatic

mikkysaur
DOROHEDOROBRO vIh

Oh, gosh... ):
Thank you for your recommendation ^ ^ I'll be sure to read it asap ; ~ ;

Its a pretty great series about people of different backgrounds gaining special powers. An alien being called Akuro is composed of many souls. When it finds itself on Earth, the souls try to inhabit human bodies. People that don't fight back willingly commit suicide and thousands of people die in what becomes known as Nightmare Week. The people that do fight back and resist Akuro's influence gain special powers. They become known as 'Comrades'.

The series is about a teenager named Taisuke as he tries to fight back against his old best friend Hirose who is gaining too much power and wants to destroy everything mostly because he was bullied too much and is growing more detached from society. Humanity and morality becomes questioned and the usual debate between good versus evil occurs. Its definitely quite a trip and worth the read. The very last chapter almost seems like a goodbye letter from the writer.

User Image

I also recommend anything from Inio Asano like Goodnight Punpun, Solanin, and What a Wonderful World. She's a really great mangaka who adds a lot of realism to her work. Punpun is pretty much her masterpiece about a young man pretty much growing up with depression and trying to deal with living with it; even if it takes him to really dark places. He and his family are also represented by cartoon birds as a way to differentiate him from other people and to express how his mental state is transforming with each event in his day-to-day life. Its a story of mental illness, love, heartbreak, and the reasons why people keep going on.

Minor spoilers:
User Image
yum_cupcake If you can get past the art, I would definitely recommend Mohiro Kitoh's Bokurano. These kids suddenly have to pilot a mech for the sake of the world, and it all goes downhill very, very fast. It is sooo sad and deals with a lot of heavy stuff, but it's a really well done series. I couldn't stop reading once I started.

I would also recommend Narutaru, by the same author. It's a sort of deconstruction of stuff like Pokemon or magical animal companions in general, and deals with the same sort of issues Bokurano does. big warning for gore and sexual violence for both series
ALSO manga only for both, especially Bokurano. The anime adaption is awful and the director changed some Really big things.

Eloquent Humorist

11,675 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
If you're looking for something bleak and tragic, there's always Battle Royal and Berserk. And Ragnarok, if you're looking for something really cruel.

Then again, there's also a few American graphic novels I'd like to point out... Black Hole is a really good one, and so is Courtney Crumrin and the Night Things.

Eloquent Humorist

11,675 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
kim boa
I would also recommend Narutaru, by the same author. It's a sort of deconstruction of stuff like Pokemon or magical animal companions in general, and deals with the same sort of issues Bokurano does. big warning for gore and sexual violence for both series
ALSO manga only for both, especially Bokurano. The anime adaption is awful and the director changed some Really big things.

I definitely agree with you on Narutaru, but she should avoid the anime adaptation. It was so, so terrible.

Familiar Friend

DOROHEDOROBRO vIh

Oh my gosh, I only managed to read the first chapter of Alive before I knocked out yesterday and it was so good ; ~ ; One minute I was laughing at something one of the characters said, and the next made me feel guilty for being able to laugh in the first place. Must finish it today ^ ^" although I'm a bit scared to get to the end now that you've told me that emotion_facepalm lol

&& Punpun looks absolutely gorgeous. Thanks a bunch! I'm so excited emotion_facepalm

Khraleon's Wife

Kawaii Wife

Oh yeah, seconding the recommendation for Punpun.

I don't think I've ever felt quite so destroyed as I had reading that.

Familiar Friend

kim boa
yum_cupcake If you can get past the art, I would definitely recommend Mohiro Kitoh's Bokurano. These kids suddenly have to pilot a mech for the sake of the world, and it all goes downhill very, very fast. It is sooo sad and deals with a lot of heavy stuff, but it's a really well done series. I couldn't stop reading once I started.

The Fullmetal Narcissist

Aha, thanks for the heads up! Narutaru sounds especially interesting ^ / / / ^ Can't wait to see how sexual violence + magical companions turns out xD *bookmarked* <3

Familiar Friend

The Fullmetal Narcissist
If you're looking for something bleak and tragic, there's always Battle Royal and Berserk. And Ragnarok, if you're looking for something really cruel.

Then again, there's also a few American graphic novels I'd like to point out... Black Hole is a really good one, and so is Courtney Crumrin and the Night Things.

Ah~ I remember Battle Royale. lol I thought it wouldn't be as bad because a teacher recommended it to me. I was so wrong ; ~ ; Thanks a bunch for your recommendations! I've never read American ones so I'll have to read them for sure > <" <3

Gekko

First of all, Pet shop of Horrors. emotion_brofist emotion_hug

I was going to recommend Bokurano, as the first manga that came to my mind when you mentioned "bleak and tragic," but I can see someone beat me too it. I would like to put in a good word for the anime though. I really liked both the anime and the manga.

Wandering Classroom is great, surreal, and VERY bleak. It's about a group of kids whose school gets transported into... a place sort of like hell meets mars meets the sahara desert. Plenty of characters just go completely insane, and lots of characters die. It's really old and has that distinct old fashioned art style, but at least for me that just adds to the enjoyment/ overall strangeness of the manga.

Ah, there's also Parasyte, but It's not bleak or tragic, just straight up scary, at least I thought it was.

Familiar Friend

Saturnidae
First of all, Pet shop of Horrors. emotion_brofist emotion_hug

I was going to recommend Bokurano, as the first manga that came to my mind when you mentioned "bleak and tragic," but I can see someone beat me too it. I would like to put in a good word for the anime though. I really liked both the anime and the manga.

Wandering Classroom is great, surreal, and VERY bleak. It's about a group of kids whose school gets transported into... a place sort of like hell meets mars meets the sahara desert. Plenty of characters just go completely insane, and lots of characters die. It's really old and has that distinct old fashioned art style, but at least for me that just adds to the enjoyment/ overall strangeness of the manga.

Ah, there's also Parasyte, but It's not bleak or tragic, just straight up scary, at least I thought it was.

aha emotion_brofist emotion_hug emotion_yatta
&& seeing as how the anime's only 24 episodes, i'll check it out since you recommended it ^ ^

Ah, gosh, I hope I don't get attatched to a character that dies, then. It'll crush me emotion_facepalm

&& The title makes me a bit itchy lol I'll definitely read it. Thank you so much emotion_kirakira

Questionable Conversationalist

Ookami no Kuchi: Wolfsmund
It's probably one of the most unpleasant things I've ever tried to read - but people really liked it for that so hey, you might too .__.
It's a dark historical torture sort of story, that's about as simply as I can put it.
MAL's info page on it link

Familiar Friend

Milady Alluca
Ookami no Kuchi: Wolfsmund
It's probably one of the most unpleasant things I've ever tried to read - but people really liked it for that so hey, you might too .__.
It's a dark historical torture sort of story, that's about as simply as I can put it.
MAL's info page on it link

I love things from within the medieval time! (it's like you can read my mind) Thank you so much for your recommendation & link~! ^ ^

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff