Welcome to Gaia! ::

Aged Codger

Rapturexz

You have helped me a lot and I thank you and the young lady who also helped me very much.

I have a unsolved war with my friends on how Sword Art is so in-depth and so much better. Some people who i've had this same conversation with, when I mentioned .Hack// called the series a rip off of Sword Art.
When they told me to choose which is better I quote:
"I personally will always love .Hack//, but I know it isn't for everyone. Watching both of the animes I can see the apeal to SAO because how action based it is. If you attempted .Hack// my guess would be you be uninterested because of how story based it is."
Which because I didn't straight out say SAO I'm a horrible anime fan for liking the 'rip off'. stare

I would like to comment on the Harry Potter world and the Madoka Magica world, but other than the little Loli's running around I have never fullied dedicated myself to watch the series. I didn't know such an argument existed on that matter.

I would punch all of them in the face.
Rapturexz
Javier Cross
Rapturexz
Javier Cross
Alkaide

Yes.

Then as much as I appreciate The G.U Era the most out of the 2 Great Dot Hack(.Hack) eras available to us, that's 2 votes for Quantum's favor and let's let the others join in as well, shall we?

Thank you for your help, I shall try and push the idea of Quantum to him.
He wanted to see why I do not entirely approve of Sword Art when it's "the same thing" as .Hack// and also wanted to try and understand an interest I have.
Who knows, maybe I shall be lucky and he will watch the play throughs with me, (Or even luckier, when I go out of country to see him play the games with him!)

Like I'd often say with regards to The Potter-world or Madoka Magica, you'd have Dot Hack(.Hack) compared to the former or the second of the two worlds, and you'd have someone onto something.
As much as I sympathize with most of the cast in SAO personally, there's next-to-no-real supernatural elements in the series except some visits from the deceased and maybe Yui.*
I'd go in-depth if you'd like but as I said before, World-wise The Dot Hack Universe is closer to the Potter-world(The Books, Not The Movies In General!) or Madoka Magica than it is with SAO.

I don't think he watched or read on The Harry Potter volumes by J.K Rowling or watched The Main Madoka Magica anime either, but I digress.
Point is I'm on a quest to help you, and help you, I shall.

1.) (I checked, and SAO didn't have people in Life-or-Death matters by either Magi-tech regards or Supernatural Powers as the primary causes, at least that's how it is/was/normally would be for the first 2 Great Dot Hack eras, the Post-G.U eras are debatable about the frequencies though.)
[/spoiler[
You have helped me a lot and I thank you and the young lady who also helped me very much.

I have a unsolved war with my friends on how Sword Art is so in-depth and so much better. Some people who i've had this same conversation with, when I mentioned .Hack// called the series a rip off of Sword Art.
"I personally will always love .Hack//, but I know it isn't for everyone. Watching both of the animes I can see the appeal to SAO because how action based it is. If you attempted .Hack// my guess would be you be uninterested because of how story based it is."
Which because I didn't straight out say SAO I'm a horrible anime fan for liking the 'rip off'. stare

I would like to comment on the Harry Potter world and the Madoka Magica world, but other than the little Loli's running around I have never fully dedicated myself to watch the series. I didn't know such an argument existed on that matter.

As for Alkaide and I getting gratitude?
Not a problem, we'd be happy to help you out anytime you ask us. ^_^

----

Back to regards on Fighting:

World-wise, I've already stated my thoughts in regards to The Potter-world, Dot Hack(.Hack) or Madoka Magica more times than I can count, I'd save some of the in-depth regards of each of the 3 vs SAO in 1-vs-1 'Universe War' for either another thread or somewhere more private, but if SAO went to press its luck against any of the 3 Worlds listed up by its lonesome, and it fails to beat any of the 3 in Universal Warfare, it better hope it doesn't stumble on either The Dresden Files or Codex Alera* by Jim Butcher

Any of the first 3 I listed would have just resorted to Reality-Warping, Combined Species Warfare and finding ways to bypass 'The Immortal Object' functions, and The Seeds of Despair will Reign across whatever War Zones the fighting breaks out at.
With The Dresden Files? it wouldn't even be a 'Real' War, it just ends with SAO winding up crushed like it's of less value than an 'Insect' if it tries anything beyond 'mere' Group Combat.
Only The Big-G Man* Himself can save The World of SAO now if that happens.

SAO's odds against The Codex Alera depends highly on their odds against Log Horizon*, so until the verdict on LH gets passed, be grateful it's moot either way because as SAO's leaders currently are, they ain't got jack$hit on Tavi in terms of Combat Tactics and Strategies.

I can warn you that in terms of Antagonists, The Alfheim Arc's Lead Main Antagonist is a Brain-Dead Idiot, and the 3-5 Worlds I listed up have No Brain-Dead Idiots among the Antagonist Ranks at all.*

------

If anyone wants to talk on a Story-line based regard on the other hand?
It could be a tougher call potentially, but unless I know Gun Gale Online's more up-to-par, I won't hold my breath on it.

Also, The Main Madoka Magica Anime has someone who'd amount to 'A Gender-Swapped Haseo' if it means anything good, I'll put a moderate-tier spoiler tag for 'just' the Main Anime alone, NOT Movie #03 though:

Miss Homura Akemi, anyone?
She's pretty much Gender-Swapped Haseo if you view Madoka as 'The Pink-Haired Lady' who got slain before their eyes.

Spoiler so done.
Let's just say a long time ago, someone posted up a Madoka Magica vs Sword Art Online thread back when The Madoka Magica Sub-forums were available, and World-wise I'd gun in favor for Madoka Magica though I'd (personally) hope that Anime-wise, it'd be a far closer call both in terms of development and in terms of consequences, Music-wise might already be closer potentially.

1.) (What I'd like to call The Butcher Side, since they share the same Author.)
2.) (Now THAT is a series that could definitely give Codex Alera the fight of its life, potentially speaking.)
3.) (I do believe you'd know him as God Almighty, Himself, for clarity's sake?
I'd rarely call him by that, because 'Big-G Man' generally makes more sense to me to address him as such.)
4.) (Not to say that some of the 3-5 worlds don't have Brain-dead idiots somewhere, but that's a regard for another time.)
sweatdrop lol I am dagnoised with ADD and I always thought anime was specially made for people like us.

I love my boyfriend to death but if it does not have much to with tv....or gaming....he will not focus on it...hardly at all.

but get him in front of a tv or an xbox....you might be trying to get detached, for a while.
Stella_Starwind
sweatdrop lol I am dagnoised with ADD and I always thought anime was specially made for people like us.

I love my boyfriend to death but if it does not have much to with tv....or gaming....he will not focus on it...hardly at all.

but get him in front of a tv or an xbox....you might be trying to get detached, for a while.

World-wise, if you want a World close enough to the Potter-world or Dot Hack(.Hack) to hold your interest while still bleeding out consequences, go read any of The Riordan Family's Literary Projects, like 'The Camp Half-blood' literary Projects* or 'The Kane Chronicles', in that case.

A * is worth a numbered note below per post, and to the Thread Owner, if you've read on The first Literary Projects I listed out, there's actually a few people who remind me of the Dot Hack(.Hack) Residents if you need a good list.

1.) (Starting with Percy Jackson and The Olympians actually.)

Khraleon's Wife

Kawaii Wife

I only ever enjoyed Sign.

None of the other .hack series grabbed me
So As I Pray

So I take it you'd vote in favor of Sign if possible?

If it's a 'yes', that would be about 2 votes in Quantum's favor, one vote for Sign, anyone else?
Javier Cross
So As I Pray

If it's a 'yes', that would be about 2 votes in Quantum's favor, one vote for Sign, anyone else?

I also would have to say Sign as well. The other series just didn't catch my attention.
tifflys
Javier Cross
So As I Pray

I also would have to say Sign as well. The other series just didn't catch my attention.

So that's about 2 and 2 if 'So As I Pray' is really voting in Sign's favor.

Rainbow Sweetheart

I will ignore my love for .hack//Sign as I say this, I vote for .hack//Quantum. Short enough that hopefully he would finish it and then realize how great the franchise is and want to watch a longer series or play the games. Even though Quantum is short it does do a nice job of showing people what the world is like and giving them a good idea of what other series in the franchise will be like without making them watch a bunch of episodes to figure out what is going on.

Shy Seeker

Rapturexz
"I personally will always love .Hack//, but I know it isn't for everyone. Watching both of the animes I can see the apeal to SAO because how action based it is. If you attempted .Hack// my guess would be you be uninterested because of how story based it is."

A rip-off of .hack? Wow. My personal preference for .hack aside, .hack came first, so how can it possibly be a rip-off of something that wasn't around until several years later? x.x

Anyhow, I agree with your response. That's exactly how I'd describe the difference too. .hack always felt like it focused more on the characters and their interactions, conversations, and relationships with each other, contrasted to other series that are more geared towards regular action scenes. And I love that about it. whee

So As I Pray

I'm pretty much the same, sadly. I enjoyed Liminality which came with the first set of games and the games themselves, but I haven't really found any significant enjoyment from the stuff that came later.

As such, I would really like to recommend Sign first and foremost, but I agree with the considerations a lot of you have taken regarding the personality, apparent preferences, etc. of the OP's boyfriend. Sign does run the risk of boring him if he generally requires constant action. I therefore endorse Quantum, albeit a bit reluctantly. sweatdrop

Invisible Hunter

11,775 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Invisibility 100
  • Friendly 100
GuardianCentauri
A rip-off of .hack? Wow. My personal preference for .hack aside, .hack came first, so how can it possibly be a rip-off of something that wasn't around until several years later? x.x

Sword Art is so popular that people think that anything else that is an anime based off people being trapped in an MMO is a rip-off of it. Even if the anime that's a "rip-off" is older than it. lol

I've seen some even argue that Sword Art Online came out first because the original Light Novel was written in 2002, the same year that .Hack//Infection came out....except people don't go the extra mile to understand that .Hack//Infection started development in the year 2000. I don't really care though. I enjoy .Hack way more, but I still like seeing the action scenes in Sword Art.

Shy Seeker

XBalmung
Sword Art is so popular that people think that anything else that is an anime based off people being trapped in an MMO is a rip-off of it. Even if the anime that's a "rip-off" is older than it. lol

I've seen some even argue that Sword Art Online came out first because the original Light Novel was written in 2002, the same year that .Hack//Infection came out....except people don't go the extra mile to understand that .Hack//Infection started development in the year 2000. I don't really care though. I enjoy .Hack way more, but I still like seeing the action scenes in Sword Art.

Ugh, ridiculous. I wonder if it's that some people are newer to anime and are thus unaware of older titles that have previously done the trapped-in-an-MMORPG theme or don't realize that the other ones they've heard of are in fact older.

Yeah, I had read that SAO was originally written a while ago, but it didn't get major publishing until 2009, right? As such, what would the odds be that the people developing the .hack universe back in the early 2000's would have been aware of SAO's existence?

Mhm, I'm the same way between .hack and SAO. I watch SAO more as eye candy rather than taking it particularly seriously.

Btw, your username suits this topic, yay. xd

Scompiglio's Wife

MissDotHacker
I will ignore my love for .hack//Sign as I say this, I vote for .hack//Quantum. Short enough that hopefully he would finish it and then realize how great the franchise is and want to watch a longer series or play the games. Even though Quantum is short it does do a nice job of showing people what the world is like and giving them a good idea of what other series in the franchise will be like without making them watch a bunch of episodes to figure out what is going on.

Ironically... I don't understand Quantum at all. I was more confused and it felt like I was watching a more confusing Liminality. (Also I'm an R:1 and R:2 fan, anything after is... pretty much not in my ideal of watching. And yes, that includes .hack the movie and anything with LINK.)

I never felt in the three episode OVA that I actually understood anything. I suppose everyone has their own opinion in regards to it.

Though, never use the LOTB anime, that's all I can say.

Invisible Hunter

11,775 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Invisibility 100
  • Friendly 100
GuardianCentauri
XBalmung

Ugh, ridiculous. I wonder if it's that some people are newer to anime and are thus unaware of older titles that have previously done the trapped-in-an-MMORPG theme or don't realize that the other ones they've heard of are in fact older.

Yeah, I had read that SAO was originally written a while ago, but it didn't get major publishing until 2009, right? As such, what would the odds be that the people developing the .hack universe back in the early 2000's would have been aware of SAO's existence?

Mhm, I'm the same way between .hack and SAO. I watch SAO more as eye candy rather than taking it particularly seriously.

Btw, your username suits this topic, yay. xd

I think it's just lack of knowing that there were older animes that had done it. .Hack has never exactly been the most popular series, so it's to be expected that people wouldn't know about it. Though that being said, I hate how everything gets compared to SAO now.

It was around that time if I remember correctly. It was definitely a few years down the road. The .Hack devs wouldn't have known about it at all regardless.

Pretty much exactly that. SAO is a nice picture to look at for a few while .Hack is a picture that is worth more than a thousand words.

And yes, I was a .Hack fan when I made this account and always will be. =P

Rainbow Sweetheart

Princess of the Crows
MissDotHacker

Ironically... I don't understand Quantum at all. I was more confused and it felt like I was watching a more confusing Liminality. (Also I'm an R:1 and R:2 fan, anything after is... pretty much not in my ideal of watching. And yes, that includes .hack the movie and anything with LINK.)

I never felt in the three episode OVA that I actually understood anything. I suppose everyone has their own opinion in regards to it.

Though, never use the LOTB anime, that's all I can say.

I was worried about recommending Quantum due to the way it was done and that it could possibly be confusing. I watched it with previous information about The World. If someone does not have that I do worry that they could be confused. However the OP stated that her boyfriend has a short attention span so that is the main reason I suggested Quantum. Maybe he would like it enough and wonder more about The World to continue with the franchise.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff