• Tipsy 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
XrosHeartless

Elaborate?

Wrathful Shade

duh berst evar
XrosHeartless

Elaborate?

Protagonists, (they are the most common in harem anime, go take a look at Dangan Ronpa's and Rosario + Vampire's protagonists as examples. This trope is also HORRIBLY prevalent in video games), that have literally NO personality, and often have a very bleh design. They also are not allowed to actually impact the story/characters around them directly yet they somehow manage to do so by doing very little. You are not allowed to know much about them because you are supposed to project yourselves onto them, it's a way to pander your show to as broad an audience as possible, and thus must have no personality traits or quirks for fear of someone saying. "I don't do that! I can't relate to this anymore! This show is stupid and I'm not watching it!" I don't know if this is a japanese thing but I DESPISE it. If I want to figuratively step into a character's shoes, I want it to be a character that's interesting. I'm a boring guy, I don't want to pretend to be a boring guy, I want to pretend to be the guy that does the cool things.

In video games I use the examples of Legend of Zelda and Metal Gear Rising. While I do like Zelda games, for a very long time I personally would like to see Link become an actual character. He doesn't talk because he's mute, he doesn't talk because YOU are supposed to be link and if he talked then you can't be that character anymore. While at least in games the blank slate protagonist is allowed to do things but you still never know anything about the characters themselves. Who is Link? What does he do? What does he like? What does he Dislike?

Compare this to Metal Gear Rising, Raiden is a character, he's not me he's him. Raiden has goals, likes, dislikes and a backstory. I may not have been a child soldier and eventually become a Cyborg PMC contractor but when I pop Rising in I slip right into Raiden's metal boots. Suddely it's all "YEEEEAAAH! I'M FIGHTIN DA METAL GEAR! LOOK AT HOW COOL IT IS!"

Now this could just be me, but that's how I feel about it.

Fashionable Gekko

8,500 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Tipsy 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
XrosHeartless
duh berst evar
XrosHeartless

Elaborate?

Protagonists, (they are the most common in harem anime, go take a look at Dangan Ronpa's and Rosario + Vampire's protagonists as examples. This trope is also HORRIBLY prevalent in video games), that have literally NO personality, and often have a very bleh design. They also are not allowed to actually impact the story/characters around them directly yet they somehow manage to do so by doing very little. You are not allowed to know much about them because you are supposed to project yourselves onto them, it's a way to pander your show to as broad an audience as possible, and thus must have no personality traits or quirks for fear of someone saying. "I don't do that! I can't relate to this anymore! This show is stupid and I'm not watching it!" I don't know if this is a japanese thing but I DESPISE it. If I want to figuratively step into a character's shoes, I want it to be a character that's interesting. I'm a boring guy, I don't want to pretend to be a boring guy, I want to pretend to be the guy that does the cool things.

In video games I use the examples of Legend of Zelda and Metal Gear Rising. While I do like Zelda games, for a very long time I personally would like to see Link become an actual character. He doesn't talk because he's mute, he doesn't talk because YOU are supposed to be link and if he talked then you can't be that character anymore. While at least in games the blank slate protagonist is allowed to do things but you still never know anything about the characters themselves. Who is Link? What does he do? What does he like? What does he Dislike?

Compare this to Metal Gear Rising, Raiden is a character, he's not me he's him. Raiden has goals, likes, dislikes and a backstory. I may not have been a child soldier and eventually become a Cyborg PMC contractor but when I pop Rising in I slip right into Raiden's metal boots. Suddely it's all "YEEEEAAAH! I'M FIGHTIN DA METAL GEAR! LOOK AT HOW COOL IT IS!"

I like your answer. It taught me something and made me realize another cliche on my list of cliches.

Side note: I really dislike over emotional Mcs
I know this is popular in japanese media, but let's focus on anime.
I just don't like over emotional characters. If pulled off correctly, they should grow as the series progresses. I can not stand overly emotional characters that remain the same way throughout the entire series. It doesn't make for a good stories, and their tears make me want to stop watching the show all together. Oh, and crying. I really don't like unnecessary crying in anime either.

OG Fatcat

To contribute to this discussion I've got a few cliches of my own:
-A girl falls while being chased and scrapes her knee.
-Girls making bento boxes or cooking for their senpais.
-School festival maid cafes.
-When the character's eyes disappear when they are sad or look down.
-Nose bleeds.
-Boy falls on girl and his hand miraculously lands right on her boob.
-Not necessarily a cliche, but whenever there is a side view of a character with glasses, they cut out part of the temple so you can see their eyes.

I'll be back to add more if I think of any emotion_yatta

EDIT:
-Sparkling tears with that wind-chimey sound effect when they fall. Sad but annoying D:

Wrathful Shade

duh berst evar
XrosHeartless
duh berst evar
XrosHeartless

Elaborate?

I like your answer. It taught me something and made me realize another cliche on my list of cliches.

Side note: I really dislike over emotional Mcs
I know this is popular in japanese media, but let's focus on anime.
I just don't like over emotional characters. If pulled off correctly, they should grow as the series progresses. I can not stand overly emotional characters that remain the same way throughout the entire series. It doesn't make for a good stories, and their tears make me want to stop watching the show all together. Oh, and crying. I really don't like unnecessary crying in anime either.

Oh yeah, makes me want to reach in there and give them a good slap.

Vampire

9,550 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
n.n idk what to say..personally I enjoy the anime ciche's because sometimes they can be really funny or cute.
I think some anime cliches are cute as well but I hate how some of these cliches always happen: accidental kisses (how do they happen so easily?), nosebleeds, 'so-called perverts', also the 'if we work together we can do anything', and especially anything related to glasses.
Mike D.
Late for school with toast in mouth

[********] this is literally the worst one
"Ehhhhhh!?"

Toast in mouth running to school

Quotable Lunatic

13,350 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Timid 100
minor renaissance
Mike D.
Late for school with toast in mouth

[********] this is literally the worst one

User Image
Siul Uchiha
The should make anime's like Game of thrones…You don't know who dies,but a lot of the characters do..specially the good ones xd

I think you'd like Dangan Ronpa in that case. The games are better than the anime if you ask me though.

For Jonron's Compadre

Hopeless Trash

21,650 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Falling For You 25
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
Incest, but they're not blood related so it's totally fine.

"I totally forgot I had a childhood friend who I promised to marry!"

Tears the size of my fist.

The second she falls in love with the most popular guy who doesn't like her back, every boy she meets falls in love with her.

Extragalactic Cosmonaut

Average/ordinary high school boy (with literally no personality) gets accepted into some special school due to his ordinary-ness.
Bonus if it's an all-girls school.
This happens literally all the time in anime, every season there are always one or two exactly like this. It gets stale quickly.
Mom dies to give character tragic past.
One of my personal favorite cliches is characters' faces that are missing their eyes, or their bangs (be they short or long) cover their eyes up completely.

I also like hair patches. They make anime characters look so bad ***.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff