Welcome to Gaia! ::

what is funny?

Total Votes:[ 0 ]
This poll closed on December 19, 2004.
No longer accepting new votes.

I been looking at shows on cartoon net work and a few different anime. What is it about deliberately cheaply drawn animation that people find funny? I seen some of the adult swim stuff there’s a lot of very adult hummer in them. But you can watch Magical shopping Arcade Abenobashi and get the same kind of jokes and content with better animation. Is it the fact that poor animation reminds us in jest of the days of Yogi bare and Fred Flintstone and other Hana Barbara classics that we find it funny? Or is it a case of being so stupid that it becomes funny? Or are we so in to the adult content we tolerate any thing they do? In other words would sealab be more enjoyable if the animation was better or is all that poor drawing part of what made the show worth watching?

Note: poll does not incude Simposons, family guy, south park or futurama becouse they would suck up almost all the votes unfairly
i think would be its randomness

but not to random so you wouldnt understand

the best randomness show i ever seen is CLERKS

that show was great!
I think it does have to do with the animation itself.

Sealab for example. The way the people are animated to move so poorly is just so rediculous and funny looking that you can't help but laugh.

xd I know sometimes I can't....

If the characters look funny, they are funny to start off. o_O; Like a clown who wears an outrageous costume to get cheap laughs.... He may have the same jokes as any standup comedian in a tie....

Comedy is all about the timing, and stupidity plays a very good roll as well. xd
aqua teen hunger force is an awesome show man.it's stupidly funny
randomness ! yes that explains a lot. Azumanga is big on randomness too I meen ever lisen to Osaka? shes very randomne.

now I understand, but lets keep talking and yah cluks too but I wasnt thinking.
speeking of randomness Monty Python (sp?) was full of randomness
(blantently ignores the fact that he knows nothing of Aqua Teen Force)

Right now it seems one of the keys to cartoon comedy is idiocy. If there is a total moron-type character to laugh at (ie Patrick Star from Spongebob or Cosmo from Fairly OddParents) we will enjoy it.
Well, one part is that the bad animation does bring up nostalgia and make the show feel more 'natural', thus increasing the audiences horror and delight when they do something perverted or hideously violent.

Another is Cartoon Network and it's associates are not made of money, and there is no need to waste dollars making a show look shiney and delicious* when it might distract from the joke.

Also, it's not fair to compare Japanese humor cartoons and American humor cartoons. The circumstances surrounding each and the audience thet are aimed towards is as differant as the nations they spawn from.

* I know the adjective makes no sense, but I like it, so there. razz

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces