Reply Main Forum: Haven for Harry Potter Fanatics
Why does everyone seem to hate Hufflepuff. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

vballlvr5

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:31 pm
its because they dont have a hufflepuff that is talked of except cedric diggory and thats only one book also gryffindor is interesting along with slytherin because of the whole godd vs. evil thing.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:30 pm
I am a Hufflepuff and I must confess, at first I was like: Oh. I'd rather have been Gryffindor. or Ravenclaw. or at least Slytherin...
But now I am quite happy to be a Hufflepuff.
I think the reason why many people are not so crazy about Hufflepuff is that Hufflepuffs are not so... exciting. I mean Gryffindors are brave, Ravenclaws are wise/intelligent, and Slytherins are the bad guys which are somehow fascinating, too.
Hufflepuffs are most of all loyal and hard-working which are, at first sight, not sooooooooo thrilling attributes.
Most people would, I guess, chose brave/wise if they were asked: "Would you rather want to be loyal or brave/wise?"
BUT now I think Hufflepuff is really cool! Loyalty is one of the most important character traits in a really good friend and honestly what on earth is more important than a true friend? wink

miss_purikura

getmeoffthishellsite

Hot Lop

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:47 pm

I don't hate them, but I'm not going to start a parade for them either. For me it's half and half.

Even though being hard working, a good friend, and loyal are great things, it's not....impressive.

I have to agree though I'd love to be friends with a Hufflepuff any day.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:32 am
This is only my two cents, I'm sorry if I offend anyone, I didn't mean to. And before I do anything, I just wanna say that I normally don't judge by Houses because a lot of people are different than what their Houses depict. But, for the sake of this discussion, I'll be putting the Houses together as a whole, although I don't really like to do it.

I honestly don't hate Hufflepuffs. Hate is such a strong word. I can't say I ever wanted to BE a Hufflepuff, but I don't hate them.

I think the only reason people dislike Hufflepuff is because they're a little too nice. People nowadays like mean people in books/movies, I have no idea why. But, if you read Goblet of Fire, you'd know that everyone in Gryffindor and probably the other houses, were making fun of Cedric when he was picked as a Champion for the tournament. They kept calling him a "girly boy" and stuff. I guess Hufflepuff is thought of to be the house of sissies (no offense to any Hufflepuffs here).

Also, there were no Hufflepuffs in the final battle, other than Tonks, that I knew of, unless I'm forgetting people. For me, Hufflepuffs are nice, but I think they live up to their name. Doesn't Hufflepuff just sound like something out of a fairy princess story? I guess the characters think the same way I do, that they're nice, but won't fight for what they believe in. And, according to the books, they're thought of to...not really be the sharpest knives in the drawer. Yes, they're hardworking, but just because you work hard doesn't mean you'll accomplish anything.

But what I'm basically trying to say is that, all the houses have something honorable about them. Gryffindors are brave. Ravenclaws are smart. And Slytherins are ambitious. But all Hufflepuffs really have is that they're nice. Where is nice going to get you when you're fighting probably the meanest evil wizard in the world? Bravery, intelligence, and ambition will get you a lot of places, kindness won't. Yes, with friends it will, but not in battle, and I honestly think JK Rowling made the characters so they will be fighting Voldemort eventually, and I don't really think Hufflepuffs would be good at doing that because all they really are is nice. And not all of them are, I mean, look at Zacharias Smith.

But, the good things about them are being overlooked by the people that say they HATE Hufflepuffs. They are very loyal, trustworthy, and hardworking, and I agree with Silias, I would love to have Hufflepuffs has friends. Just friends though. I don't really think they'll be useful in battle.  

Flarityxx18

Galyxies

Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:50 am
To be honest: I'm a Ravenclaw, and I love Hufflepuffs. Kindness is something I value in everyone, and I have no doubt I'd enjoy being in the presence of a Hufflepuff. I've actually been put in Hufflepuff a few times while taking house placement quizzes [although I've also been put in Gryffindor, so. Eh.] I wouldn't say that kindness isn't an honorable attribute, though, because I believe it to be one of the most honorable. It may not help one in battle, but outside of dueling, kindness can take a person far in life.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:41 pm
Yeah, see, my other rant was from inside the books. Jo doesn't make it easy. Harry doesn't make it easy. Harry hardly notices Hufflepuffs or Ravenclaws. However, the Ravenclaws he does notice seem to exemplify wit and knowledge, and the Hufflepuffs he does notice seem to be real douche-bags. Is that Hufflepuffs' fault? No! We just needed a true Hufflepuff like we got true Ravenclaws, true Slytherins, and true Gryffindors.

One of my all-time favorite OC's, I can't sort into anywhere but Hufflepuff. She doesn't belong anywhere else. She's the nicest person and actually exemplifies those qualities Hufflepuffs are supposed to covet. She's a true Hufflepuff, if you will. And actually, justice and fairness, far more than kindness (and in a way even loyalty) set a Hufflepuff apart from the rest of the houses.

Ravenclaws will try to do things in the smartest way possible, but being smart or witty doesn't make you right, and sometimes you can get caught up in your own search for knowledge and either pursue the evil in the world around you or you use your knowledge for good and ill--light and dark magics.
Slytherins will use any means--good or bad, legal or illegal, innocent or harmful, right or wrong--to achieve their goals.
Gryffindors will rush in bravely, but rashly and hardly think who is actually on the right side, assuming it to be the people on the Gryffindors side.
And Hufflepuffs should be the ones to actually take a step back and fairly judge the situation and who is actually in the right and who is actually in the wrong, and then act accordingly. And that leads to the problem of we never see them do this in the books.

But I remember, and so should you, the virtues are mainly desired not a built in part of being a true member of the house, though the house should provide a place to grow those virtues. Everyone in Gryffindor wants to be brave. Everyone in Ravenclaw wants to further their knowledge and wit. Everyone in Slytherin wants to succeed and fulfill their ambition. Everyone in Hufflepuff must want to be just and fair.

It's the reason why Hermione got Gryffindor over Ravenclaw. She valued bravery over her own book learning. It's why Harry's sorting was torn between Slytherin and Gryffindor. He's ambitious. He wants to succeed and prove himself. But he also wants to do it bravely and chivalrously and with principles.

But I only wish that someone like say, Susan Bones, got a bigger part, someone that would prove the Hufflepuff qualities valuable and necessary to Harry, and then Hufflepuffs in general wouldn't be mocked or underestimated nearly as much. Or if Tonks' house affiliations came out in a discussion between characters in the books rather than a statement in an interview that is hardly truly thought through all the way by fans, one could argue that we could have had a real champion for Hufflepuff and the virtues of Hufflepuff.

Matelia legwll

turayza

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:41 am
User Image LIVE, LOVE, LAUGH

Thing is, in the books, it’s all about action and life choices and killing Voldemort. There’s not much room for ordinary life in there (not that anyone would want to read about ordinary life…we live that every day) and so it is hard to appreciate Hufflepuffs. Also I think I can say definitely that Rowling gives us a super skewed look at the houses—she says herself that Slytherins are evil, and most fans agree that each house has good and bad qualities.
In real life, that friendly person who gets along with everyone else and is always laughing probably fits best in Hufflepuff. Why wouldn’t you want to be that person?

IT'S NOT THE YEARS IN YOUR LIFE THAT COUNTS. IT'S THE LIFE IN YOUR YEARS.

Main Forum: Haven for Harry Potter Fanatics

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff