Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Pokémon Guild

Back to Guilds

Gaia's #1 Pokémon Guild. Come talk, trade, battle, or just hang out! 

Tags: Pokemon, Black White, HeartGold SoulSilver, ORAS, Nintendo 

Reply Pokémon Battle Arena
~* Moveset Guide Discussion *~ Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Wilhemina

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:39 pm
This thread is in support of the Moveset Guide sticky. If you should have any ideas for a potentially awesome Pokemon moveset, go ahead and post it here. Please note that if I approve of a particular set, it may take time to be entered into the sticky at this time, but I will note credit where credit is due.

Basically, be sure to specify what a moveset is designed to do (Sweep? Tank? Annoy?), preferred Trait and Hold Item, and EV spreads if you can. I can help fill in the blanks if the move combo is strong enough, but putting in your own opinion can help speed this process. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:42 am
Name: Cursepert - D/P standard - Sweep? (<--I don't think that's the proper term for this guy; he's meant to destroy, but not with speed. Also, i've never written a moveset before, so if there is a term that i don't know that fits him better... well, let me know.)

Pokemon: Swampert

Nature: Brave (+Atk, -spd) OR Adamant (+Atk, -Sp.Atk)

Held Item: Leftovers

Moveset:
-Curse
-Waterfall
-Avalanche
-Earthquake.

+252 HP, +128 Atk, +128 Def

Use Curse to increase your Attack and Defense by one stage. This will lower your speed by one stage.

Waterfall is physical in Diamond and Pearl. So Swampert get's a STAB through this, and won't have to worry about being mixed with special and physical.

Earthquake is a no brainer. STAB again.

And Avalanche. This move has only 60 base power, but, if you recieve damage first, it's power doubles. THIS is the reason you're slower than your opponent.

Also, as a note, there's some potential in replacing Curse with Arm Hammer. I don't recommend it, because you don't get the stat improvements that you get with Curse, but it does lower your speed one stage. And since it's a fighting move, it gives Swampert a wider range of super effectives. whee

Anyways, so that's my moveset idea. Hope you all like it. I came up with most of it myself. Mesa told me to replace Arm Hammer with Curse, so i did, 'cause it made more sense.  

Artemis Wolfe
Captain

Wilhemina

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:25 am
*peeks at Moveset Guide*

Butterfree and Pidgeot need more Tail Wind.

Beedrill needs more Baton Pass (XD). All 1-386 Pokemon have the opportunity to utilize the moves available to them via Move Tutors and special moves from the 3rd generation games. Sometimes this might not be ideal if they cannot gain new Egg Moves once transferred with Pal Park, but for many they don't have to give a damn.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:13 pm
I completely overlooked Tail Wind. Well that's what this guide is for. What'd you suggest I do? Tail Wind is pretty nice, but I like the aforementioned sets.  

Mesa the Wanderer

Air Sparrow Hawk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:53 am
Artemis Wolfe
Name: Cursepert - D/P standard - Sweep? (<--I don't think that's the proper term for this guy; he's meant to destroy, but not with speed. Also, i've never written a moveset before, so if there is a term that i don't know that fits him better... well, let me know.)

Pokemon: Swampert

Nature: Brave (+Atk, -spd) OR Adamant (+Atk, -Sp.Atk)

Held Item: Leftovers

Moveset:
-Curse
-Waterfall
-Avalanche
-Earthquake.

+252 HP, +128 Atk, +128 Def

Use Curse to increase your Attack and Defense by one stage. This will lower your speed by one stage.

Waterfall is physical in Diamond and Pearl. So Swampert get's a STAB through this, and won't have to worry about being mixed with special and physical.

Earthquake is a no brainer. STAB again.

And Avalanche. This move has only 60 base power, but, if you recieve damage first, it's power doubles. THIS is the reason you're slower than your opponent.

Also, as a note, there's some potential in replacing Curse with Arm Hammer. I don't recommend it, because you don't get the stat improvements that you get with Curse, but it does lower your speed one stage. And since it's a fighting move, it gives Swampert a wider range of super effectives. whee

Anyways, so that's my moveset idea. Hope you all like it. I came up with most of it myself. Mesa told me to replace Arm Hammer with Curse, so i did, 'cause it made more sense.

I'd call it a Physical Sweeper - EQuer. Please replace curse, it won't help you to lose half your HP in battle for a poison effect. You may as well teach it Toxic as a replacement if you want to do that.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:06 am
Your lack of knowledge frightens me. Curse only does that for ghost types. If any other type uses curse, it increases their attack and defense by one stage(equal to 50%) and decreases their speed by one stage.

the point of using it is to become as slow as possible so you get outsped and avalanche does double damage.  

Mesa the Wanderer

Wilhemina

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:36 pm
Actually, I believe Avalanche has a priority modifier similar to Counter.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:11 pm
Wilhemina
Actually, I believe Avalanche has a priority modifier similar to Counter.
IIRC, it has a modifier, but not like Counter. Counter inflicts twice the total damage that was done to the user back onto the enemy. Avalanche does double base damage if the user is hit first.

Could be wrong though.  

AlienOmega

Jump Einatz
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:13 am
Ninjask w/Leftovers
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Speed Boost

-X Scissor
-Substitute
-Swords Dance
-Baton Pass

Never actually did this before. Anyway, it's a variation on the Baton Passer. Real simple. You set up a Sub, and boost up with Swords Dance a bit, then Baton Pass.

X-Scissor is there just in case -god forbid- Ninjask is the last pokemon you have left. You'd set up a sub, use Swords Dance, and then wail on them with X-Scissor.
--------------------
Ambipom w/Leftovers
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Technician

-Aerial Ace
-Double Hit
-Substitute
-Focus Punch

A good receiver for the above Baton Passer. Now, I'm pretty sure that when you use Technician, any moves that have 60 base power get powered up 50% and THEN have STAB accounted for, making Double Hit really cool and Ambipom a fun Physical Sweeper.

If you can get a Substitute from Ninjask, you won't need one when you use Focus Punch, but if you can't it's on this set for that/I couldn't think of another move to use.
--------------------
Marowak w/Thick Club
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Rock Head

-Earthquake
-Double Edge/Swords Dance
-Focus Punch/Brick Break
-Rock Slide/Iron Head

I once read somewhere that, with a Thick Club, a Marowak has the potential to surpass Attack Deoxys with one or two Sword Dances in Attack. Too bad it's so slow...

Not with Ninjask Passer. Marowak receives Attack + Speed from Ninjask, hopefully a Sub as well, and just smacks stuff. With a bone club. How cool is that?

I'd go with Rock Slide over Iron Head to hit flyers, and if you don't think you'll get a sub, go with Brick Break. If you'd rather have Swords Dance, just in case you don't get it from Ninjask, replace Doulbe Edge, but then also change your ability to Lightning Rod.

(I never actually made any movesets before for competitive battling, so criticism is greatly appreciated.)  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:39 am
i feel as though i've seen these movesets before. either way they're pretty good. although they're pretty standard too  

Mesa the Wanderer

Jump Einatz
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:44 am
So....yay?

I also thought you could do pretty much the same thing with Absol receiving, but I think I'll just edit that in later. It's pretty much the same concept as Marowak, anyway.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:41 pm
I have a couple odd sets I came up with while playing XD (I need to beat that, too...)

Anyway, here's two sets for Gallade and Froslass that incorporate XD ^_^(minus EVs because I hate doing those ^_^)

Gallade
@Razor Claw
~Careful/Impish
!Steadfast

Reflect
Sing
Leaf Blade
Psycho Cutter

Froslass
@Wide Lens
~Adamant/Jolly
!Snow Hide

Sing
Wake-Up Slap
Crunch
Confuse Ray

I know Sing isn't the world's best sleep move, but it is something that would be surprising, so...  

Zerokyuuni

Edgar The Fanciful

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:03 am
I prefer a BoltBeam Froslass. o;

Froslass @ leftovers
Nature: Timid (+Spd, -Atk)
Trait: Snow Cloak
EVs: 4 Def/ 252 Spd/ 252 Satk
-Ice Beam
-Thunderbolt
-Spikes
-Destiny Bond  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:15 am
Oh oh oh! I have a moveset!

Okay for this moveset to work, you'd need a team of slow Pokemon (so get defense EVs rather than Speed even for the Sweepers)

Ninjask @Leftovers
+Sp. Def, -Sp. Atk
EVs on HP, Def, Sp. Def
Substitute
Protect
Baton Pass
Toxic/Sword Dance/Roost

This way Ninjask lives long enough to BP speed onto the entire team. Been using this strategy for a while now. Oh and be sure to have some Hazer killers in the team. I can't see Ninjask with an attack move, seeing as its defences are so low.  

Shigeru Kobayashi

TheZaR

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:49 pm
Can you handle the Triforce of Power?

Umbreon @ Blackglasses
Nature: Lonely
IVs:
HP: 4
ATK: 31
DEF: 3
SP. ATK: 23
SP. DEF: 31
SPD: 24

EVs:
255 ATK
255 SPD

Movset:
Feint Attack
Confuse Ray
Giga Impact/Swords Dance
Return

Feint Attack because STAB plus it's going to have max ATK no matter what.

Confuse Ray to well, confuse it.

Giga Impact just because it's a beastly move.
OR Swords Dance just so you can take out pokemon with beastly defense.

Return to show how much it loves me XD.

Anything I should take out/replace?

Only Ganondorf, the chosen King of thieves can.

Pokémon Battle Arena

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff