*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild

Back to Guilds

Reply Debate and Discussion
Courting Vs. Dating Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you support courting, dating, or both?
  Courting
  Dating
  Both
View Results

Akiramay

Charitable Gaian

10,700 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:34 pm
SinfulGuillotine
My only problem with courting is that I think it's a little dangerous to go out looking for someone to marry.

Marriage can't be something that you're in a hurry to do. I'm of the mindset that people fall in love gradually, and that God will see to it that you meet the person you're meant to marry (if you are indeed meant to marry at all) and fall in love with them accordingly. It's been my experience that the best relationships (from first-hand experience and observations of people I know) start casually and built up to something more intense slowly.

I don't really have an issue if someone decided to take the rout of courting rather than usual, more casual dating. I just don't really believe that that's how most people fall in love.

Couldn't have said it better myself.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:18 am
I wish I could post two whole chapters of one of my favorite books, So Much More, by Anna Sofia and Elizabeth Botkin, on here, but since I can't, I'll just recommend that you buy and read the whole book!

Anyway, I think that courtship is so much safer than dating. (Talking about girls, here smile Having your father or father-figure evaluate a suitor is so much more appealing than trying to evaluate a guy's character on your own because your father and mother both know what would make a good husband. Of course, it only really works if you talk to your parents and they understand what you're looking for in a husband. Plus, they know what to ask his parents to find out more of his character. And after they approve of the match, you can still say no if you just don't like the guy, and you don't get hurt because neither of you got romantically involved. Even the guy doing the courting, ideally, is looking for a wife, not a short-winded love relationship, so if you don't think you'd be a good match, he shouldn't get hurt.

Basically, it ensures that you only get romantically attached to your spouse. If you're really looking for true love, I think courting is the way to go.

Miss Pagan Rose

Blessed Bookworm

14,675 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Champion 300
  • Hellraiser 500

Miss Pagan Rose

Blessed Bookworm

14,675 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Champion 300
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:40 am
Well, I didn't post two whole chapters, but I posted an exerpt, at least. Read it here: What's This Courtship Thing All About?  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:57 am
Gods Rosebud
I wish I could post two whole chapters of one of my favorite books, So Much More, by Anna Sofia and Elizabeth Botkin, on here, but since I can't, I'll just recommend that you buy and read the whole book!

Anyway, I think that courtship is so much safer than dating. (Talking about girls, here smile

Having your father or father-figure evaluate a suitor is so much more appealing than trying to evaluate a guy's character on your own because your father and mother both know what would make a good husband.

No they Evaluate what they "want" to be a good husband what they "think" is right for you they cannot possibly know that, other people cannot evaluate your heart for you, Only you can possibly know if someones Charicter is good or not, and if you cannot do that on your own your not mature enough to be get married simple as that.

Hell my Paerants are so loose i could have married a four times convicted drug dealer and they probably would have just said "As long as you love her" and ive friends paerants who are so strict that unless the guy/girl had a University Diploma and a million dollar dowry they wouldent let them in the house.

Of course, it only really works if you talk to your parents and they understand what you're looking for in a husband.
Which few if any will, because at the end of day i doubt you know what you want in a husband...you should marry for love...not desirable qualitys..its a life partner, not a Car.

Plus, they know what to ask his parents to find out more of his character. And after they approve of the match, you can still say no if you just don't like the guy, and you don't get hurt because neither of you got romantically involved.
You CANNOT judge a persons full personality from a quiz of there paerants and a once over from yours, most peoplles real personalitys dont come out untill they become romantically involved, my friend just got married..and i tell you he spent the past three years being a reckless Douche bag, he met his wife and he became a whole new caring loving person, they brought the best out of each other

Basically, it ensures that you only get romantically attached to your spouse. If you're really looking for true love, I think courting is the way to go.

what? Before you Marry you need love that is correct...but love can happen with anyone anywhere, anytime, you can suddenly find that magic in any situation it shouldent be something "arranged" "Oh hello there i would like to fall in love with you"
"Oh yes also..so do i"

You forget even if people do start "Courting" they still have just as much chance of finding out there not right for each other in evevry way after all, they break up your still just as hurt as you would have been dating.

Three Mile Sprint

Phantomboy411

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:39 pm
as a christian, i personally used to have alot of questions about dating, (frankly, i still kinda do,) and, being in high school, this is a big issue for me. i am not ashamed to say i have never had a real girlfriend, and when anyone asks me why i simple tell them that i am waiting for God to bring the right person, which i know he will as long as i am willing to be patient and wait for his timing, because he can see my whole life now, where i can only see within a little, if even that. on my computer, i have something called libronix digital library system on my computer, and my pastor introduced me to a book on there called "i kissed dating goodbye" by josh harris. reading this book really cleared up alot of questions for me, and i believe is excellent to read for both boys and girls, christian and non. reading this as a christian realy cleared up alot of questions i had about dating, and i still wish to read the sequel "boy meets girl: an introduction to courtship" by the same author.

God bless!  
Debate and Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces