Reply Debate and Discussion
(Don't know what to title this...)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

CalifornianElyse

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:00 am
Okay, so I like to write books, and I love to write fiction books. I think it's easier to make books about magic and gods/goddess, even if I do not believe in them, it's just easier to explain, but I'm also seeing it as a problem, it makes me look like a non-believer. It is just fiction, but it gives some people the idea that I am not Christian...Help?

[Sorry if this does not belong here...]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:43 am
I think if you take out the little dieties, and you make sure you don't actually make people figure that they do bad rituals... maybe it'd you could get away with it. Not really a debate, but I like the talk.  

The Noble Protoman.exe

Kittey-chan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:16 pm
Well, I don't think there is anything wrong with writing about charas that do magic, ect. I mean, if we had to write about charas that never sinned... that would kinda be blasphemy in itself, ne?
My question to you: Does your writing portray these things in a way that would draw Christians away from God? If no, if the things are simple plot devices, I can't see a problem with it. If yes? Then you should re-think the way you write.
3nodding
Good luck writing!  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:31 am
Is it people looking at you and saying that you're not Christian, or is it you worrying? If it is just you - don't sweat it. If you're feeling convicted, you can even have a little group out in the desert worshipping "an unknown God". The fact of the matter is: this is your fiction. These are your creative ideas. I'm not saying that God has no place in them - but if you aren't putting God in them, don't worry! Fiction is fiction - untrue, and it ought to have no standing on what you believe about theological matters (unless you're slanting your novel that way!). But it sounds like you're just writing innocent fantasy novels - so I highly suggest keeping that up.

Who you spend the most time developing in the novel is what your readers will focus on. If you just kind of gloss over the religion, or even throw in deities interacting with people - but spend your time on character development and plot that has nothing to do with your fantasy religion, your readers will just see people. So on and so forth.  

Gambol

Shy Sex Symbol

Tina_East_Rose

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:05 pm
I have the same problem! Its so annoying!  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:56 pm
Well, I got a short and simple test to tell whether or not your writing about fictional gods and magic and stuff is wrong.

1) Can you tell between fiction and reality?
2) Do you understand that what is true in fiction probably isn't true in reality, and vice-versa?

If you answered 'no' to any of these questions, then, no, you should not be writing about fictional gods or magic. And you should seek professional help.

If you answered 'yes' to both of these questions, then go ahead. Remember, our imaginations are wonderful gifts from God and it would be wasteful to not use them.  

ioioouiouiouio

Guacamole-kun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:04 pm
That happens a lot with art. D: Let them believe it, I say.. and if it ever becomes an actual problem, come up with a solid argument that'll get your point across. (Easy enough to do when you're arguing truth.)

J.R.R. Tolkien was a devout Catholic, you know. :3 Also, a lot of people think I'm gay (or male) because I draw a lot of sexy girls. But I'm the straightest person I know. *shrug* ^^; Either sacrifice your creativity, or fight for it. (Or just stop caring.)  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:57 pm
Guacamole-kun
lot of people think I'm gay (or male)

Wait... I thought you were gay and male.

You know, looking back on it, seeing that you're female clears up a few things...  

ioioouiouiouio

Hwin.The.Horse

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:45 am
hey im interested in reading any of your work, i write myself and ive actually had that, erm still haev that problem, wiht my current book. i kinda bash god so i havent wrote antyhgin in a while so im thinkning of how to rewrite, anyways my pen email is merugrin@hotmail.com please send me.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:29 pm
i had the same problem, until my friends realized that THEY were the deities in my story. then they loved it xd

now my poetry freaks them out. but it makes them think and intertains them and that is the point of letting them read it.

if your story makes YOU happy than that is what is important unless God is telling you its bad keep writing.

ANNE RICE wrote interview with a vampire and other vamp books. she became a christian and the Lord told her to stop writing them. she still writes though.  

promised_child

Debate and Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff