Reply The Drunken Dwarf Tavern
An idea that hit me...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

DWSage007

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:03 pm
When trying to introduce folks to a new system, have a psuedo-gameshow type of event. I have named it, "Who wants to be a millionaire Second Level?"

Ask a series of questions, getting progressively harder-and for forums, I'd recommend not even giving multiple choice. Give them more and more experience as they get more questions right, too. A person who manages to get all 5, 10, 16, 5324, etc. questions correct gets to actually start a level higher than everyone else for the sheer grasp he has of the system. Keep in mind that the last question should be something along the lines of, 'What does a 16th level Fighter/4th level Mage need to roll to successfully grapple the Terrasque?'

Just an idea.

And even if you don't like it, Kittens!

*Flees during the distraction*  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:06 pm
A good idea, but it is a little harsh on the people who haven't been playing all that long.

I don't even know who/what a Terrasque is...  

GS Sailor Saturn
Crew

DWSage007

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:12 pm
Think D&D Godzilla...

And that's why it's only second level instead of something higher-they'd still probably get some experience from the earlier questions, ("What stat determines how well you shoot/throw things?") but have to actually play through to progress.

Granted, in some systems, even starting at second level is a bit much...  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:16 pm
Sammi Logan
A good idea, but it is a little harsh on the people who haven't been playing all that long.

Heh it's big and scary, and there's only one in existance.  

DarkHayama
Crew

Unforgiving Millionaire

15,500 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Clambake 200

SAR101

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:32 pm
DWSage007
Keep in mind that the last question should be something along the lines of, 'What does a 16th level Fighter/4th level Mage need to roll to successfully grapple the Terrasque?'

Well what would the size catagory of this said fighter mage be?  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:32 pm
I've always thought of it more like a giant turtle-thing than Godzilla...

A giant turtle thing that the DM once sicked on us and, deciding to be realistic about it, had step on the fighter.  

Little Green Soldier
Vice Captain

SAR101

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:37 pm
Little Green Soldier
I've always thought of it more like a giant turtle-thing than Godzilla...

A giant turtle thing that the DM once sicked on us and, deciding to be realistic about it, had step on the fighter.

Your DM did that to you to, mine sent one after us right after we so how lived through a Helms Deep expirence.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:00 pm
DarkHayama
Sammi Logan

Heh it's big and scary, and there's only one in existance.

Two if you count the Hot Pink one I got as a punishment. Or it may be one, the original may have jumped into a grand canyon sized vat of pink dye or something, or had like 50 mages casting prestidigitation on it and coloring it, who knows. Oh, and it's

Tarrasque, not Terrasque.

As per say about the grappling of it, it depends on the size category of the base creature and even then, even with the mage side of him casted Enlarge person, that's just one size category, realisiticly, if a Large creature tried to grapple a Colossal creature, it just doesn't seem possible.  

DJ Ducki

Iomma Sensei
Crew

Dangerous Genius

3,300 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Millionaire 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:59 pm
A 10th level Goliath Barbarian (full rage), pinned down a Colossal+ Green Dragon in my Dragon Slaying campaign. Then the damn Ranger blew his head off (instant kill critical, the b*****d).

And the answer to the first question would be 1, because I could create a character with those levels with a grapple check soooo powerful that I wouldn't even need to roll to grapple the damn thing (um, Ray of Enfeeblement anyone? Bull's Strength? Hell, a Scroll of Polymorph Self even to get even bigger). First off...Orc with the Brute Feat (makes you one size category larger, can only be taken at first level). Can I take templates? Yes? Using the rules in Unearthed Arcana, I would more than be able to reduce the +3 level adjustment of a Half Dragon to...a +0 lv.adj. That's a...what...+8 to Str? Improved Grapple, Weapon Focus (Grapple), Greater Weapon Focus (Grapple), Enlarge Person (size becomes Huge), Scroll of Polymorph Self (Something one step above Huge...as the spell states. Preferably something with more than two arms), Bull's Strength (another +4 to Str). Not to mention the +5 from that book and money to pay for even greater spells (and being a high enough level in Wizard, I think the character would have access to some higher level mages that could cast things like...say, Shapechange?). Oh, and magic items to boot.

Oh, you're on wink .  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:45 pm
minus gigantic amounts of rule-bending, I'd say a nat. 20. Then again, I'm not very good with the system.  

blakat1313

DWSage007

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:01 am
I'm amused that my flippant 'question' got such serious responses.

Ah well. In any case, I've decided that that and actually setting the PCs to mock battles against each other works surprisingly well. For one thing, if you have them all do such a thing against each other BEFORE they go and kill stuff, you don't have huge amounts of fumbling through paper and 'what die do I roll again?'

It's nice to have a battle session go smoothly.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:43 pm
DWSage007
I'm amused that my flippant 'question' got such serious responses.

You wern't being serious? Seriously, how much bonus XP do I get for that question? I mean, I pretty much nailed it, I should get something for the three minutes of my time that I spent thinking up an answer.  

Iomma Sensei
Crew

Dangerous Genius

3,300 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Millionaire 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

DWSage007

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:18 pm
...You can have a pet rock for it. Delivered via airmail.

On the other hand, I could let you see the Guns section that I've had to revamp.

Or I could let you have a +1 bonus to the stat of your choice, so long as it's not 6 already.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:07 pm
DWSage007
...You can have a pet rock for it. Delivered via airmail.

On the other hand, I could let you see the Guns section that I've had to revamp.

Or I could let you have a +1 bonus to the stat of your choice, so long as it's not 6 already.

Whoot! I'll get right on that! *three days later...*  

Iomma Sensei
Crew

Dangerous Genius

3,300 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Millionaire 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
The Drunken Dwarf Tavern

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash