should they teach about creation in school Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Gambol

Shy Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:40 pm
For the record, I would like to say that gravity is still considered a scientific theory.

You might want to re-evaluate your definition of "scientific theory".

Here's a hint:
A scientific theory is still under tests, yes. HOWEVER, it has proven itself over and over in tests to be true. Modifications to said theory can be made if some anomaly occurs.

Granted, some theories have way more proof than others.
But, let's face it. For something to be called a scientific theory, it has to be observable, testable, repeatable, and so on.

Just saying.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:11 am
zz1000zz
Master Protoman_exe
I'm sorry, but theories should not go about schools as though they are facts. It's not ethically right.

Seeing as everything in science can never amount to anything more than a theory, that would mean we could never teach anything. Somehow that seems bad.

...no... your stupidity really is amusing.

science never says that anything is definite because it is impossible to know. it IS possible to be pretty damned close to being sure. science takes into account all possible changes. true science alters only one variable at a time to ensure that the results are from the thing they changed. Even then, science always admits that there is potential for human error, or unkown circumstances. hence everything being a theory, not fact. it's not saying "we have no clue but here's a guess," it's saying "this is what we have from repeated tests, and unless there is a factor we don't know about, this is why."  

divineseraph

zz1000zz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:04 am
divineseraph
zz1000zz
Master Protoman_exe
I'm sorry, but theories should not go about schools as though they are facts. It's not ethically right.

Seeing as everything in science can never amount to anything more than a theory, that would mean we could never teach anything. Somehow that seems bad.

Wait for it...

Quote:
science never says that anything is definite because it is impossible to know. it IS possible to be pretty damned close to being sure. science takes into account all possible changes. true science alters only one variable at a time to ensure that the results are from the thing they changed. Even then, science always admits that there is potential for human error, or unkown circumstances. hence everything being a theory, not fact. it's not saying "we have no clue but here's a guess," it's saying "this is what we have from repeated tests, and unless there is a factor we don't know about, this is why."

Wow! You agreed with me. And you said i was stupid in the process! Wow! What does that make you?  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:38 pm
zz1000zz
divineseraph
zz1000zz
Master Protoman_exe

Wait for it...

Quote:

Wow! You agreed with me. And you said i was stupid in the process! Wow! What does that make you?
You need to stop critisizing. That goes for him, too.  

The Noble Protoman.exe

zz1000zz

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:59 am
Master Protoman_exe
zz1000zz
divineseraph
zz1000zz
Master Protoman_exe

Wait for it...

Quote:

You need to stop critisizing. That goes for him, too.

Meh. So long as people are allowed to call me names, i assume i can do the same in response. I will gladly stop, so long as others do so as well. Either way, i am not really sure i criticized anybody with that post. I mean, the sarcasm was a little rude, but it was not a direct insult. And it was rather fitting.

As for my response(s) to you, nothing i have said has been out of line. I simply disagreed with you, then showed how you were wrong. The nature of a debate.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:32 pm
The criticism I don't mind, so long as it's constructive. The name calling needs to stop, though.  

Tarrou

zz1000zz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:22 am
Tangled Up In Blue
The criticism I don't mind, so long as it's constructive. The name calling needs to stop, though.

I do not remember calling anyone any names, but i will try to make sure i do not do so in the future.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:19 pm
zz1000zz
I do not remember calling anyone any names, but i will try to make sure i do not do so in the future.

Wasn't directed at you specifically. Just trying to keep the general tone of the thread civil.  

Tarrou

Damaris Vincent

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:36 pm
much of what I've read on your backing of scientific theory I will agree with, in that it is, as you said... "science never says that anything is definite because it is impossible to know. it IS possible to be pretty damned close to being sure. science takes into account all possible changes. true science alters only one variable at a time to ensure that the results are from the thing they changed." and "A scientific theory is still under tests, yes. HOWEVER, it has proven itself over and over in tests to be true. Modifications to said theory can be made if some anomaly occurs." and "For something to be called a scientific theory, it has to be observable, testable, repeatable, and so on."

Now here's where my disagreement of your position comes in. By your own words, you say it has to be observable, and yet, no one alive today can actually say that they observed the beginning of the world. You say testable, how can it be truly tested? Repeatable, I'd like to see anyone repeat evolution, even in it's first stages. By these tests, I see this theory as a very weak one. Now you can say the same of the intellegent design theory as well if you'd like to, but I myself wouldn't want to test God like that.

And if you're wondering what my full stand is (though it doesn't mean I'm going to be pig-headed and snobish to those who have differing views) I believe that the Bible is the true and infalliable Word of God, and if you don't believe the first chapter, then the rest really won't hold much meaning for you. If one part can be wrong, it gives you leave to pick apart the rest and choose (like a buffet line) what you'd like to believe as true. If I stepped on anyones toes, while, I said that this was my belief, and you have your own God given right to take your own stance. I guess we'll all see when we get up there.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:47 pm
And now I will leave further discussion for the proper thread.  

Damaris Vincent

Gambol

Shy Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:39 am
By the way:

*totally playing Devil's Advocate*

if the Judeo/Christian creation story should be taught as a valid theory, then shouldn't other creation myths be taught as valid theories?  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:15 pm
Most of them are pretty much same in origin.  

The Noble Protoman.exe

Gambol

Shy Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:41 pm
Master Protoman_exe

You could probably see why a secular school system would view it as redundant.

Really, I don't agree with it, but I can see their reasoning. You know?  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:14 am
Gambol
Master Protoman_exe

You could probably see why a secular school system would view it as redundant.

Really, I don't agree with it, but I can see their reasoning. You know?
*shrug* I say there should be alternative options for such things. Like not teach it at all, or have separate classes... or my personal favorite... spend and entire year teaching every single view!  

The Noble Protoman.exe

ryoushinn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:54 pm
Today, people think that "If they can "prove" it, then it's right." But guess what? Humans make mistakes. And humans make science. And since we make mistakes, our science may be totally wrong though we "think" we've proven it.

They teach about it in school, i remember it, pass the tests, and don't believe it. I believe we are here because God wanted children, and we arn't here from being made from some particles.

Well, today people say "We all have our own beliefs." Everytime someone says that, they're pushing away from the fact and doubting God. And if they are going to say that, they shouldn't be making us learn about creation, which, is their belief.  
Debate and Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff