Was this helpful?
  Yes
  No
  Poll Whore
View Results

Crunchy Spice

Shirtless Informer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:12 pm
There is so much diversity within satanism. All forms of it from traditional (those that actually worship satan) to Lavey Satanists (which will be explained here), so explaining everything is pretty much impossible.

I could go and explain all of the aspects, however this is an attempt to shorten the general idea of only Lavey Satanism so that others may understand it a bit better.

This short essay was written by me. I wrote it so that others may enjoy it, and possibly use it to inform those curious about the religion. Critique, debate, agreements, and arguments alike are welcome.

Also, just because you may agree or understand this religion, and recognize it for what it really is, does not mean you will go to hell or any such thing. Knowledge never hurt anyone. I'm not here to convert, just inform.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Satanism is often mistaken as being a religion that encourages cruelty and irresponsible behaviour, but LaVey's brand is very different. There is a libertarian element; diversity is encouraged, everyone is expected to discover their own sexuality, chart their own personality, and decide their own ambitions in life. In this stress on individuality, Satanism is considered a "Left-Hand Path" religion.

The LaVeyan Satanist does not generally believe in the Judeo-Christian-Islamic idea of God; the function of God is performed and satisfied by the Satanist him/herself. That is, the needs of worship, ritual, and religious/spiritual focus are directed, effectively, inwards towards the Satanist, as opposed to outwards, towards God. A LaVeyan Satanist is likely to differ from other types of Satanist in this respect; in LaVey's philosophy, God is rarely mentioned, and never discussed directly. A LaVeyan Satanist is less likely to hold a belief in God than a Satanist who sees Satan as a rival to God.

Satan is not a real, living entity, conscious or a physical thing that can be interacted with. It is a symbol, something ethereal, something that basically doesn't exist except as an emotional attachment and personal dream. Just like Buddhists do not worship Buddha, Satanists hold up Satan as an ultimate principal rather than an object of literal worship. Satan inspires and provokes people, like all (honest) religions the ultimate point is self-help. God believers have a different opinion on what Satan is, but their opinion is a result of their religion. Satanism's Satan is much more eclectic and multicultural than to be defined by Christianity or Islam.

Satanism can be considered to be: Atheistic. There are no Gods in Satanism. Not dualistic: souls and bodies are indivisible and there is no war between cosmic good and cosmic evil Autodeists - we worship ourselves. The only God we can ever perceive is in our own existential world. We are each a God. Materialistic A "human potential" movement. Striving for longer life and a better education. Science And Technology Are Necessary: We who walk this dark path along with the same interests will pursue the elimination of Human limitation to the maximum Of the left hand path Opposition of religions, especially those that hold a belief in an afterlife. Satanism is an un-religion. Satanism adopts the adversaries of major religions as its standard bearers.

So if anything Lavey Satanism is closer to Buddhism than Christianity. Lavey Satanists do not murder children, or kill animals as they are considered the purest form of life there is. Also they do not do weird things to virgins. Lavey Satanists do not burn down churches either. Why should they risk their necks? They usually believe if your a christian, enjoy your religion as long as you don't try and force me into it.

There is no standard for what a Satanist is supposed to be like; the only requirement to be a Satanist is to live like one. This is a very open-minded and diverse religion and not all satanists follow what has been said here. The encouragement of diversity and individuality is what makes this such a fine religion.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:14 pm
The Nine Satanic Statements

1. Satan represents indulgence, instead of abstinence!

2. Satan represents vital existence, instead of spiritual pipedreams!

3. Satan represents undefiled wisdom, instead of hypocritical self-deceit!

4. Satan represents kindness to those who deserve it, instead of love wasted on ingrates!

5. Satan represents vengeance, instead of turning the other cheek!

6. Satan represents responsibility to the responsible, instead of concern for psychic vampires!

7. Satan represents man as just another animal, sometimes better, more often worse than those that walk on all fours, who, because of his "divine spiritual and intellectual development" has become the most vicious animal of all!

8. Satan represents all the so-called sins, as they all lead to physical, mental, or emotional gratification!

9. Satan has been the best friend of the church as he has kept it in business all of these years!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Nine Satanic Sins

1) Stupidity -- The top of the list for Satanic Sins. The Cardinal Sin of Satanism. It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful. Ignorance is one thing, but our society thrives increasingly on stupidity. It depends on people going along with whatever they are told. The media promotes a cultivated stupidity as a posture that is not only acceptable but laudable. Satanists must learn to see through the tricks and cannot afford to be stupid.

2) Preteniousness -- Empty posturing can be most irritating and isn't applying the cardinal rules of Lesser Magic. On equal footing with stupidity for what keeps the money in circulation these days. Everyone's made to feel like a big shot, whether they can come up with the goods or not.

3) Solipsism -- Solipsism can be very dangerous for Satanists. Projecting your reactions, responses, and sensibilities onto someone else who is probably far less attuned that you are. It is the mistake of expecting people to give you the same consideration, courtesy, and respect that you naturally give them. They won't. Instead Satanists must strive to apply the dictum of "Do unto others as they do
onto you." It's work for most of us and requires constant vigilance lest you slip into a comfortable illusion of everyone being like you. As has been said, certain utopias would be ideal in a nation of philosophers, but unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately, from a Machiavellian viewpoint) we are from that point.

4) Self-Deciet -- It's in the Nine Satanic Statement but deserves to be repeated here. Another cardinal sin. We must not pay homage to any of the sacred cows presented to us, including the roles we are expected to play ourselves. The only time self-deceit should be entered is when it is fun, and with awareness. But then, it's not self-deciet!

5) Herd Conformity -- That's obvious from a Satanic stance. It's all right to conform to a person's wishes, if it ultimately benefits you. But only fools follow along with the herd, letting an impersonal entity dictate to you. The key is to choose a master wisely instead of being enslaved by the whims of many.

6) Lack of Perspective -- Again, this one can lead to alot of pain for a Satanist. You must never lose sight of who and what you are, and what a threat you can be, by your very existence. We are making history right now, everyday. Always keep the wider historical and social picture in mind. That is an important key to both Lesser and Greater Magic. See the patterns and fit the things together as you want the pieces to fall into place. So not be swayed herd constraints--know that you are working on another level entirely from the rest of the world.

7) Forgetfulness of Past Orthodoxies -- Be aware that this one of the keys to brainwashing people into accepting something as "new" and "different", when in reality it's something that was once widely accepted but is now presented in a new package. We are expected to rave about the genius of the "creator" and forget the original. This makes for a disposable society.

8 ) Conterproductive Pride -- The first word is important. Pride is great up to the point you begin to throw out the baby with the bathwater. The rule of Satanism is if it works for you, great. When it stops working for you, when you've painted yourself into a corner and the only way out is to say, "I'm sorry, I made a mistake, I wish we could compromise somehow," then do it

9) Lack of Aesthetics -- This is the physical application of the Balance Factor. It is important in Lesser Magic and should be cultivated. It is obvious that no one can collect any money off it most of the tome so it si discouraged in a consumer society, but is an essential Satanic tool and must be applied for magical effectiveness. It's not what's supposed to be pleasing--it's what is. Aesthetics is a highly personal thing, reflective of one's own nature, but there are universally pleasing and harmonious configurations that should not be denied.

The Eleven Satanic Rules of the Earth

1. Do not give opinions or advice unless you are asked.

2. Do not tell your troubles to others unless you are sure they want to hear them.

3. When in another's lair, show him respect or else do not go there.

4. If a guest in your lair annoys you, treat him cruelly and without mercy.

5. Do not make sexual advances unless you are given the mating signal.

6. Do not take that which does not belong to you unless it is a burden to the other person and he cries out to be relieved.

7. Acknowledge the power of magic if you have employed it successfully to obtain your desires. If you deny the power of magic after having called upon it with success, you will lose all you have obtained.

8. Do not complain about anything to which you need not subject yourself.

9. Do not harm little children.

10. Do not kill non-human animals unless you are attacked or for your food.

11. When walking in open territory, bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask him to stop. If he does not stop, destroy him. (destroy is only metaphor, it does not mean to actually destroy him, but merely to tell him off)  

Crunchy Spice

Shirtless Informer

ioioouiouiouio

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:32 pm
The fifth satanic sin is as follows: 'Herd Conformity'. The seventh satanic sin is as follows: 'Forgetfulness of past orthodoxies'

I'm calling BS on this one. Having given it quite some thought (when I was searching for a suitable religion) I would say that Nietzsche-ian atheism is the only logical path. Looking closely at LaVeyan Satanism, I find a large amount of similarities. From the obvious (both are atheistic) to the more finite (the belief in self-advancement), both philosophies vary at one crucial point: the belief one's control over one's freedom. Nietzsche realized that, in the absence of God, than morality must be created. Laveyan Satanism discusses this only to the point of leading any atheist with an ounce of logic into a trap, where they may be subjected to the rules of an institution, probably written into this so-called 'religion' by Mr. LaVey as a nice little joke to subjugate any unwitting fool who was dumd enough to take advantage off.

Really, in short, I say that, by following Lavayan Satanism, you are not only commiting the 5th and 7th satanic sin, but you are proving yourselfs ascribers to slave-morality, something that LaVeyan satanism, self-proffessedly, hates.

So, congratulations, Mr. Anton, you've shown yourself capable of manipulating the masses and paying attention in history class.

[EDIT]I was a rather tired when I wrote this. If someone felt like replying then you have my assurances that I would not be so caustic in the ensuing discussion.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:02 am
Cometh The Inquisitor
The fifth satanic sin is as follows: 'Herd Conformity'. The seventh satanic sin is as follows: 'Forgetfulness of past orthodoxies'

I'm calling BS on this one. Having given it quite some thought (when I was searching for a suitable religion) I would say that Nietzsche-ian atheism is the only logical path. Looking closely at LaVeyan Satanism, I find a large amount of similarities. From the obvious (both are atheistic) to the more finite (the belief in self-advancement), both philosophies vary at one crucial point: the belief one's control over one's freedom. Nietzsche realized that, in the absence of God, than morality must be created. Laveyan Satanism discusses this only to the point of leading any atheist with an ounce of logic into a trap, where they may be subjected to the rules of an institution, probably written into this so-called 'religion' by Mr. LaVey as a nice little joke to subjugate any unwitting fool who was dumd enough to take advantage off.

Really, in short, I say that, by following Lavayan Satanism, you are not only commiting the 5th and 7th satanic sin, but you are proving yourselfs ascribers to slave-morality, something that LaVeyan satanism, self-proffessedly, hates.

So, congratulations, Mr. Anton, you've shown yourself capable of manipulating the masses and paying attention in history class.

[EDIT]I was a rather tired when I wrote this. If someone felt like replying then you have my assurances that I would not be so caustic in the ensuing discussion.

I myself do not follow the sins, statements, or rules of earth to a T as I have a free will and need not fully follow anyones word but my own. I merely included them seeing as how they are relative to Lavey Satanism. I don't care too much abut breaking any of those guidelines/rules as I live life in a way that I see fit. I am not conforming, in that I do not fully label myself as having a religion, but in the sense that this is the closest I have found to my own beliefs. I do know that this religion has flaws, but so do all relgions. I do not follow things that I see flawed, but merely follow my own decisions based on my life experiences.  

Crunchy Spice

Shirtless Informer

Seority

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:10 pm
Well, I guess you could say, everyone decides what to do with his/her life, but why are there rules if you dont need to follow them?
This maybe a medioker question, but I just want to hear your thoughts.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:37 am
Seority
Well, I guess you could say, everyone decides what to do with his/her life, but why are there rules if you dont need to follow them?

Seority brings up a good point. You are, presumably, a self-admitted Satanist, and, yet, you admit that you don't need to follow the rules and guidlines. I say that you're only conforming to the title of 'Satanist' not out of any particular religious or moral convictions, but for a decidedly lesser reason (that I don't know at this time)  

ioioouiouiouio

Crunchy Spice

Shirtless Informer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:14 pm
Cometh The Inquisitor
Seority

Seority brings up a good point. You are, presumably, a self-admitted Satanist, and, yet, you admit that you don't need to follow the rules and guidlines. I say that you're only conforming to the title of 'Satanist' not out of any particular religious or moral convictions, but for a decidedly lesser reason (that I don't know at this time)

Satanism is more so a way of life then a religion, the only thing one must do is to live like one. It is very diverse. Modern Lavey satanists basically overall enjoy and indulge in the seven deadly sins, there are no laws or commandments like christianity.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:53 pm
Lilith Delost
Satanism is more so a way of life then a religion, the only thing one must do is to live like one. It is very diverse.

Really, then why does just about every source concering satanism call it a reliion (hell, even LaVey called it a religion).

Quote:
Modern Lavey satanists basically overall enjoy and indulge in the seven deadly sins, there are no laws or commandments like christianity.

And the Eleven Satanic Rules count as what, exactly?  

ioioouiouiouio

Tarrou

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:25 pm
If I may, I've always been of the opinion that calling oneself a 'Satanist' is only intended to provoke others. Sure, LeVeyan Satanism is just a materialistic philosophy (expressing sentiments roughly in tune with Marx's '[M]an is the supreme being for man') mixed with bits of Objectivism and Nietzschean thought—but that's precisely the problem with it: it's nothing more than a hodgepodge of more respectable, better thought out philosophies with the name 'Satan' slapped on it for shock value.
Just become an Ayn Rand disciple if you're looking for a self-centered philosophy (and yes, I am punning there). It's basically the same thing, but without needlessly drawing attention to the fact that you're bucking the dominant philosophical paradigm.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:01 pm
I'm a very religious Christian, but don't worry, I'm not here to slam insults in your face, lecture you, or rant on about how I "pity your poor, misguided soul." I'm actually here to compliment you on having the courage to post this, and I thank you for the essay (it was actually really absorbing, biggrin ).
I find the Lavey Satanic "religion" to be an intelligent way of life, and not as barbaric as most would believe when they hear the word "Satanic." Your religion supports free will an individuality. I like that. Sure, I oppose in many ways, but then again, I approve of many ways as well. You are right to say that your "religion" has its faults. So does Christianity. So does every religion in this universe, as far as I'm aware. The points I would like to push, however, are mercy, forgiveness, and less self-centerism (if that IS a word). With that, you've just about got it. Keep up the open mindedness and self-respect. May you tread your own path, and guide yourself to eternal happiness. biggrin
You have a very advanced mentality of self-esteem, which I respect, and therefore this leads to your bravery. You are not going to let anyone put you down, and you shouldn't. This is actually a very good form of pride. In the end, I know you will choose God over Satan for your afterlife because you will choose what's best for you. I think God will welcome you with open arms as one of his loyal followers, though you may not know it. I know that may seem strange to say to you, but I know you won't mind because you don't have to believe me, and you and I both know that that is just what people like me will say! Your "religion" expresses freedom, and is not constricted by our many rules. You will accept the gifts that God has given you, and nobody can take them from you, and you know that, therefore you walk the world without fear and make the most of what God has given you. I have confidence that you will stand tall on the Day of Judgement while many cower to their knees. This will be highly respected, but, unlike most, you will not take pride because you know that this is how it should be, and you won't let vanity lead to ignorance.
So, I stand beside you, whether you care or not. And that's just me.
You probably didn't even need to hear this. And that's just you.
God bless you.
And if ANY of you other Christians out there try to put her down for this, you will be foolish to even try, because she isn't going to care anyways, and God will only frown upon you trying to emphasize the faults of your sister, when you have your own faults as well. Don't try to grind her into the dirt. She won't let you, and you will only be giving yourself the mouthful of mud in the end. That would only be pointless stupidity, which both sides can easily agree with. Thank you for bothering to read this long comment. Sometimes I can be a blabbermouth . . .  

Elliot Reilly McMonty

fantrl

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:27 am
Hmmm, I thought this was Let the Fire Fall, a Christian guild. I guess I was incorrect.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:02 pm
fantrl
Hmmm, I thought this was Let the Fire Fall, a Christian guild. I guess I was incorrect.

Sent PM so as not to derail any further convorsation.  

ioioouiouiouio

koreanusher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:03 pm
u dont become a christian or any other religion just because it lets u be what u wanna be. but i think I became a christian because i wanted to know what God wanted me to be  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:39 pm
I have a question for you.

What practicality is there in being prideful and looking out for yourself first, and some of the other tennents of Satanism?

I don't mean that in a "that's just stupid" way, to let you know.

I am legitimately confused because in my upbringing, I have pretty much had to disobey all the rules of Satanism. If I had followed any one of them, my family would have fallen apart. I would be disconnected from it, and that just wouldn't have worked.

What makes pride better than humility, vengance better than restraint, and picking and choosing who you love rather than loving everyone in your mind?  

Berezi

ioioouiouiouio

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:21 pm
Berezi
I have a question for you.

What practicality is there in being prideful and looking out for yourself first, and some of the other tennents of Satanism?

I don't mean that in a "that's just stupid" way, to let you know.

I am legitimately confused because in my upbringing, I have pretty much had to disobey all the rules of Satanism. If I had followed any one of them, my family would have fallen apart. I would be disconnected from it, and that just wouldn't have worked.

What makes pride better than humility, vengance better than restraint, and picking and choosing who you love rather than loving everyone in your mind?

Ooh. I know this one.

Self-advancement. That is to say that, by looking out for others before ourselves, we stray from man's true purpose in life. This purpose is a culmination of several animal instincts still left over in us from when we were not as developed mentally (as a species, that is), most of which, I might add, are centered entirely upon reproduction.  
Debate and Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff