*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild

Back to Guilds

Reply *~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild
Is God for teen marriagesex? Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

(See below for arguments) Does god approve of teen marriagesex (around age 15 and up)?
Yes
51%
 51%  [ 14 ]
No
14%
 14%  [ 4 ]
Unsure
29%
 29%  [ 8 ]
You call yourself Christian? How can you ask a question like that, heretic?!?
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 27

Inu_Kat

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:24 pm
Hold on, dont start screaming blathsomy (how DO you spell that?) yet! I have two arguments for this, though I'm still a little unsure (I suppose someone could enhance or debunk these thoughts based upon the discussion here to follow?).

1) Biblical and historical account shows us that, especially with girls, people married as young as their mid teens (14-15). In fact, historical record suggests that the Virgin Mary may have been about 15 or so. This was not uncommon practice, again mostly in women, and those who did not get married early were worried about if not condemned.

2) Biology. Since God made us as he saw fit, it goes without saying that our biology would be designed by Him in its entirety. This would include hormones, speciffically sex hormones such as estrogen an aldosterone, which are designed to drive us to be "fruitful and multiply" (I know I know, the fruitful and multiply quote refers to animals in Genesis, not people, but still razz ). We reproduce, granting God more children here on earth through the ritual of sex, which is made clean by His approval through the sacriment of marriage, a promise to remain true to one person and one person alone, as you all know. However, when does this sex drive, the drive TO reproduce, set in? About 13 or so- around the time these younger marriages would've been sanctioned.

So why the change in view, IF younger marriage is correct in God's eyes (so far as I can see right now anyhow)? Society is able to live much longer due to advances in technology and our country (the US I mean, though this EASILY applies to the UK and other major countries) is geared towards education (not necessary, past HS anyway, but REALLY encouraged). Since knowledge and careers are pushed so much, sexlove tends to distract form these goals so they were pushed aside, marriage was pushed aside, until after most of HS and college (both of which have little equivilent in Ancient Israel- or most of the ancient world for that matter), at about 23 or so.

See? What do ya'll think? This is NOT a declaration that I am ABSOLUTLY correct, I mean it to be an in-depth discussion as to whether or not this might not be the truth! Sry for typing so much razz  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:43 am
I've never heard anyone say that God disapproves of those who are married having sex.
All I've ever heard of is that God disapproves of premarital sex.
I think even if a person was to marry young God would still approve of them and their partner.
The problem is in society today, unless your parents sign in consent, you can't get married until your 18 (I'm just speaking generally for the US). So you have more people practicing premarital sex. I don't think lowering the age of marriage would help though. I don't think a lot of teens who have sex do it for love. I'm sure their are some who do have sex young for love, but then comes the fact that I don't think that as a teen your really all too sure that you want to marry a person, you just know that right now you care for them deeply.
Sorry for rambling, hopefully what I said made some sense.

Ginger Snapple

Inu_Kat

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:56 pm
yes it made sense wink ! Tnx for the input ^-^!

I'm glad you responded so maturely! I've had a lot of other Christians basically call me a heretic for suggesting that God would support young marriage (they're thinking more in the mid-twenties)- weird huh? *sigh*  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:19 pm
well now with our societies standards people get married at an older age and the bible says we should hold off on sex until married and since people back then got married during like their teenage years it was kool as long as they were married  

symphony in peril

Skeleton Bart

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:15 pm
The problem in the US is that you change so mutch with the education you get during your teen years that you aren't the same persons when your finished. And if you married at fifteen by eighteen you could easly detest the one you thought you loved. My advise on picking a spouse is think of their worst traits then think could you live ith all of those ad only half of the good ones. (that is orst case senario remember if they are truely in christ they should continuely become more like christ.) I have been marred 5 years nw and some times it will seem like your spouse has lost all of their positive traits it usualy is not true and is a clear indicatin for a serious CALM talk.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:26 pm
i have a question.... was adam and eve got married before they had their sons?  

swakikiki

ElenaMason

1,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:55 pm
as long as they are married then it doesnt really matter what age they are. and yes your right, in many cultures including those in biblical times had teens marrying each other at a very young age. and thers nothing in the bible specifically saying that teens cant marry.

speaking of which, im entirely american with a european background, but i was born in Saudi Arabia and kids as young as age 12 can marry there smile  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:36 pm
Personally, I believe that God is neither for nor against teen marriages. If that is the person you're supposed to marry, then that is the person you are supposed to marry, regardless of your age.

Note: Back in the days of yore, young marriages were very common because people didn't live all that long, so they had to get it on at a young age. Someone who had babies at, say, 14, was much more likely to survive childbirth than a 25-year-old (who would be considered not yet old, but getting there). Also, as has been pointed out, the current education system is why teen marriages in this day and age are frowned upon. You're not looked upon as an 'adult' with responsibility until you have completed your education (or, at least, are out of school).  

ioioouiouiouio

Castilleja

Sparkly Genius

9,850 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:07 pm
I'm probably going to get flamed again for citing scientific things. Ah. Well.

I personally believe that God gives his blessings to people who are really in love. The Bible does say that marriage before sex is good -- but I think that God frowns on marriages made just for the money or power. Regardless of age, I think, love should come before marriage, and marriage before sex.

Now. Science. We aren't exactly living in biblical times, and I have read reports that suggest child-birth is best in today's time around the age of 25 due to balancing of hormones, calcium absorption, and regularity of reproductive organs. Personally, if I were ever thinking of having children, I would want to have a child at that age -- married first (Ha! It'll never happen...). Girls are getting their menarche earlier nowadays due to sedentary lives and richer foods... Which is kind of sad. (*has Naomi Shihab Nye-like vision of an army of girl angels screaming "Don't grow up!"*)

ERhm. Don't mind me.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:17 am
pre-heated-death
I'm probably going to get flamed again for citing scientific things. Ah. Well.

I personally believe that God gives his blessings to people who are really in love. The Bible does say that marriage before sex is good -- but I think that God frowns on marriages made just for the money or power. Regardless of age, I think, love should come before marriage, and marriage before sex.

Now. Science. We aren't exactly living in biblical times, and I have read reports that suggest child-birth is best in today's time around the age of 25 due to balancing of hormones, calcium absorption, and regularity of reproductive organs. Personally, if I were ever thinking of having children, I would want to have a child at that age -- married first (Ha! It'll never happen...). Girls are getting their menarche earlier nowadays due to sedentary lives and richer foods... Which is kind of sad. (*has Naomi Shihab Nye-like vision of an army of girl angels screaming "Don't grow up!"*)

ERhm. Don't mind me.

i entirely agree. might i also add that mentally....i honestly dont think coulds should marry at a young age. i mean im almost 21 years old and theres still alot of experiences in life i need to deal with before i should even consider marriage. and in todays society, theres a crap load of stuff kids and teens have to get through before they should even consider a relationship.

course thats just me smile  

ElenaMason

1,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Moliverio

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:41 am
You are, for the most part correct. Married couple should be Gods married couple though. If it is not His will that the marriage take place then it is sin. Of course when the sex drive kicks in that dosn't mean the individual is ready, if it kicks in there still is some physical growth needed before sex. Also, an individual needs to be mentally and spiritually prepared to get married/have sex/start a family. I will totally agree with a devout christian girl at, a young age, getting married to a devout christian man, young or old, as long as they are spiritually, mentally, and phyisically prepared for the God giveb responsiblities of marriage.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:01 pm
Moliverio
You are, for the most part correct. Married couple should be Gods married couple though. If it is not His will that the marriage take place then it is sin. Of course when the sex drive kicks in that dosn't mean the individual is ready, if it kicks in there still is some physical growth needed before sex. Also, an individual needs to be mentally and spiritually prepared to get married/have sex/start a family. I will totally agree with a devout christian girl at, a young age, getting married to a devout christian man, young or old, as long as they are spiritually, mentally, and phyisically prepared for the God giveb responsiblities of marriage.

EXACTLY! it just seems people are getting married at much younger ages these days O_o theres nothing really wrong with that, but they seriously need to consider the responsiblity that lays before them.

owning a place, learning how to pay bills, living on their own, dealing with their mates and learning how to tend to their needs AND their own. coping with the world in general mainly. finding a job, finding transporation...

thers ALOT of small things one should learn on their own before attempting to live a life with another.  

ElenaMason

1,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

lifeistupid429

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:30 pm
i will probably get flamed for saying this but:

i think that getting married at a young age is sort of dumb. I guess I don't disapprove of it, but I think that in this day and age, people really need to get to know each other better if they don't want their marraige to go downhill. The divorce rate nowadays is so high, I wish people would take more time to get to know each other before they got married. there's more aspects of a good marraige than just being devout christians......  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:02 pm
yes, but look at it this way, back then you didn't date and choose your wife or husband. now you have to date and find them. so you need more maturity for that. so you have to wait for a later age. like back then it would probably be decided by family ties or class or income, now a days you must go out and find someone to date, so you can't make smart desicions at 14 or 15, in that area, because your not mature enough. so times have changed and in this society thats not good. also, remember, we've changed as humans, and have lost our attention spans and things like that.  

LearningtoBreath63

ElenaMason

1,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:01 pm
i think also back in those OLDEN ages you didnt have things like computer games or sports or college or psychology or all the other stuff.

there was just you, and other personalities. with all the stuff we have today, it makes it harder to people to get to know each other cuz they have all these hobbies and life styles and work conditions....and yes dating. it makes it alot harder for people to be patient and i can understand.

but thats what alot of people dont take the time to do, is to get to know the person for yes....ALL their hobbies and lifestyles and interests. its just not as simple as it used to be, and thus all the more reason to take more time to make sure they are EXACTLY the person you want to spend the rest of your life with. and more importantly....

if they're trustworthy  
*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces