Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Quaji
Crew

Noble Cub

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:11 pm
User Image

Her pacing had ceased, but even still Mahea could not rest, not yet. There was still work to be done and hopefully, a deal to be made, and then she could finally rest. Months of wandering, dozens of Lihua's visions, and even still their numbers had continued to swell as they all hoped that this would finally be the end of their journey and the start of a new life.

Assuming the lion(ess) she met could be believed.

A meeting between one of the three heads of the pride they had unknowingly approached the borders of and her, set four days from when the initial encounter had occurred at the break of dawn. Mahea's red eyes rose to the sky from the earth she had long been staring at.

A wellspring of anxiety brewed in her belly as the sun's glow rose over the horizon. The stars that still lingered in the sky would soon be scared by its radiance. Mahea stool alone among dry grasses, watching the sunrise and waiting for the appointed time to arrive. In the stillness of the morning, she could not help herself but idly muse at how silence had fallen over the savannah. No birds called, or insects chirped greetings to the day. It was as if the world waited with her, holding its breath.

A sudden gentle breeze rippled over the Pridelander's coat, shocking Mahea. In her embarrassment came the realization that she too had held her breath. She watched as the same winds carried seeds and dried leaves; new and old life. Her family had told her stories once, when she was much, much younger, of the Great Kings of the Past, tales of how they watched over everyone even after they left the world to join the Circle of Life. Mahea knew, deep in her heart, that they were watching over her and everyone else, even now, even so far from the Pridelands.

"Just a little bit further," she whispered to no one as she stood alone among the dried grasses.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:12 pm
User ImageWhen word of a group of lionesses near the border had reached him, Faust wasn't sure what to think. He considered himself a realist in most cases, able to see the positive and the negative and find the most likely solution to problems that arose. This, however, was an enigma. The lionesses alone could form their own small pride if they chose to do so, however it seemed they were looking to join. He appreciated the fact that they were waiting to meet with him rather than approaching the core of the pride which could be taken quite poorly considering their numbers. Giving him and the other Abholi time to talk over what to do had been a heavy factor going into the decision that had been made, though he still had to pass judgement.

He had started to walk just as the sky shifted from its darkest, a faint, softer blue starting to line the horizon. His pace was slow, wanting to keep his energy as best he could. Food was hard to come by and although he had to stay in fighting form to defend the pride, he made sure the lionesses and lions that were doing the majority of the scouting were eating as best as they could. It wouldn't do to have weak scouts.

As the first rays of sun burst over the savanna Faust spotted the fiery coat of the lioness he'd been told would meet him. He paused for a moment, giving her time to spot him as well, before pressing on. His stoic expression didn't change as the wind tussled his mane, pale eyes tired but focused.

"Greetings," he said once he was within earshot, his pace still slow. "I am Faust, one of the Abholi of the Ithambo'hlabathi." While speaking he came to a stop a few paces away from the lioness, giving her space while allowing them to speak without shouting at one another. "State your business here. I will listen." He kept his posture relaxed but attentive, giving the lioness his undivided attention.  

SilverLutz
Crew

Offensive Hero

Quaji
Crew

Noble Cub

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:15 pm
However alone she had once been, she no longer was. As the winds shifted, so did Mahea's gaze, tracing the invisible lines the dancing debris made as it swirled towards and past the approaching dusty grey lion. His appearance was similar to the lion(ess) that she had met days prior, if not worse for wear. A troubling reality of the plight of the pride, no doubt.

"I am Mahea," her voice gentle, yet firm. "I come from the Pridelands, a place far from here. Our lands suffered terrible tragedies and when the sky fell upon us, my pride sisters and I left." What terrible memories so many held in their breast, but Mahea pressed forward, pleading their case to this 'Abaholi'.

"We have traveled far. Moons have cycled since we left. We are weary from your journey, but hunger for a new home. A place we may start anew. One among you...Umfana, I believe his name was." Mahea paused for a moment, recalling the memory fondly. "He told us such inspiring tales of his home. Stories of your trials and your triumphs. While none among us have vultures as he did, we have our own talents to offer your pride. All know how to hunt, some to fight, others are swift and with sharp eyes, a few sharp wits. I, myself, am a skilled healer of bodies."

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:15 pm
Faust listened to Mahea and considered her words thoughtfully. At a different time he would see no issue allowing a group of fresh genes into the pride, but with the looming famine he had to consider his options carefully.

"I'm glad Umfana's words moved you enough to seek us out," he said after she fell silent, his tone monotone but a bit weary. "I'm sorry to say you've found us in less than ideal times. Had you arrived a few moons ago or perhaps a few from now, I might have better news." He didn't care to air all the woes of their pride to strangers, no matter how good their intentions. They could spread the word as they left to others who might try to attack while they were weak.

"I'm afraid more mouths to feed could be an issue and the lionesses of the pride would certainly take umbrage if I allowed you to come. I apologize, and I empathize with you." He too had been a part of a group of rogues looking for a better place at one point in time. He had found the Bonelands, just as Mahea and her group of ex Pridelanders had, but they had been in much better times.  

SilverLutz
Crew

Offensive Hero

Quaji
Crew

Noble Cub

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:01 pm
As the dusty lion spoke, the corners of Mahea's mouth dropped. Of course, their timing was horrendous, their paws too sluggish. Still, she could not falter, not now, not so close. Straightening her lips, Mahea's gave swayed momentarily to the savannah behind the Umholi. Nothing appeared amiss, but still, he denied them. Strange, this was very different from the greeting she had expected from Umfana's stories of his homeland.

"Whatever ails your pride, surely those who have traveled with me may offer some sort of aid? All of us are proven hunters, able to make our own keep. Let us help your pride. If we fail, then we will move on from your lands." There was no begging, simply bargaining.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:12 pm
The look on Mahea's face made something within Faust shift uncomfortably. He knew what it was like to travel and seek solace, though he'd never been turned away. Still, Faust knew that accepting a large number of lionesses at a time like this would surely get him ousted by the Omama for making such a terrible decision.

He was about to repeat his rebuttal as gently as he could, but Mahea's ultimatum gave him pause. Proven hunters would be valuable in this time, especially ones that had traveled far already. And if they failed they'd leave...hm...

The Umholi was quiet for a few minutes as he considered his options. More mouths to feed but more eyes and ears and noses to hunt. What would the Omama want...

"I think," he said after the silence stretched on for just a bit too long. "That perhaps we'll give you a chance to prove yourselves. If you can help us you can stay. Though the lionesses will have the final say of when you must go, and if they decided that you must leave I will enforce their choice."  

SilverLutz
Crew

Offensive Hero

Quaji
Crew

Noble Cub

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:29 pm
There was a sudden weight lifted from Mahea's shoulders as he began to come around, and agree, albeit slowly and with a good deal of caution. It was clear the lionesses truly controlled things in the pride, just as Umfana had said. Nodding, Mahea offered a cautious smile.

"Of course, I and those who have traveled with me have no desire to see this place suffer. Please, would you tell me what troubles the pride? Perhaps we might be able to come to a better understanding before we commit. I know several among us are, unfortunately, used to strife." The Outlanders, few in their company, but their struggles were known to the Pridelanders. Even they had suffered, but not nearly to their extent over the generations.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:33 pm
Faust nodded slightly at the request, though he was silent for a bit - as was usual for him, Mahea would come to find - as he considered his words. He didn't wish to paint the Bonelands in a poor light, but there really was no good way of saying what their current problem was.

"We're currently experiencing a bit of a strange situation in that the herds that usually mirage into this area have not made an appearance yet," he said slowly. "We've send out small search parties to try to track them down but so far we've been unsuccessful. Food is becoming scarce as the smaller herds move on or are spooked off by overhunting."

It was a rather dire situation but he hoped it didn't scare this group off. Help in searching would be appreciated and if they proved their worth he was sure the group would become fast friends among the Boneland lionesses.  

SilverLutz
Crew

Offensive Hero

Quaji
Crew

Noble Cub

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:43 pm
Mahea nodded solemnly, the weight once on her shoulders was clearly on his. Such a struggle, but one that could be overcome, if not by sheer willpower, then surely moving on would be an option. The pride was migratory, after all. "We are well fed and are ready to join your search. There are those among us more skilled in the way of tracking than hunting, but all of us are capable. We will prove our worth to the lionesses." She paused, breathing easy for the first time in a long while. "I have no doubt that you will need to convene with the lionesses and the other Abaholi and get their approval as well. If you are agreeable, I will return with the others to meet the pride after we receive word that we are accepted, temporarily."  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:54 pm
Faust was grateful that Mahea seemed to understand where he was coming from. He was an Abholi, yes, but it wasn't as if he was a king or some sort of end all be all voice for the pride. This was a big decision that needed to be agreed upon by the pride as a whole, not just a single lion.

"I think that's a plan I can work with," he agreed. "I will confer with my fellow Abholi as well as the Omama and meet you back here in two days time with our answer." He was glad that they were well fed already, they could remain in the area for a bit without going hungry.

"Perhaps while you wait you could prove to the pride that you are capable of what you say you are and have a kill or two for us," he added. If they'd eaten recently perhaps there were herds in the direction they'd come from that they could hunt from while waiting.

"I'll speak highly of you," he added as he turned to go, his tone still very monotone but somehow the honesty he felt came through all the same. "Hopefully my news will be good." He set off at a slow pace after that back towards the heart of the pride, hopeful that the Omama and other Abholi would welcome this group with open paws.  

SilverLutz
Crew

Offensive Hero

[IC] Ithambo'hlabathi Lands

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas