Reply *~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild
biblical contradictions Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ioioouiouiouio

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:43 pm
I was just looking around on Gaia, when I saw a reference to Acts 1:18, which states
Acts 1:18
(With the reward he got for his wickedness, Judas bought a field; there he fell headlong, his body burst open and all his intestines spilled out.

However, Matthew 27:1-10 clearly states that not only did Judas commit suicide (by hanging), but he was not even alive when the field was bought.

Matthew 27:1-10
Early in the morning, all the chief priests and the elders of the people came to the decision to put Jesus to death. They bound him, led him away and handed him over to Pilate, the governor.

When Judas, who had betrayed him, saw that Jesus was condemned, he was seized with remorse and returned the thirty silver coins to the chief priests and the elders. "I have sinned," he said, "for I have betrayed innocent blood."
"What is that to us?" they replied. "That's your responsibility."

So Judas threw the money into the temple and left. Then he went away and hanged himself.

The chief priests picked up the coins and said, "It is against the law to put this into the treasury, since it is blood money." So they decided to use the money to buy the potter's field as a burial place for foreigners. That is why it has been called the Field of Blood to this day. Then what was spoken by Jeremiah the prophet was fulfilled: "They took the thirty silver coins, the price set on him by the people of Israel, and they used them to buy the potter's field, as the Lord commanded me."

What are your thoughts on this?  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:42 pm
Well, the verses from Acts have a slightly different literal meaning in Greek. The Wuest Bible (which takes the New Testament and makes it as close to the meaning in Greek) says: 'Now, this man acquiered a piece of ground, the purchase having its source in wages obtained by wrongdoing, and having fallen flat on his face, he cracked open at the waist with a crashing noise and all his inner organs gushed out. And it became known to all the residents of Jerusalem, so that that piece of ground came to be called in their own language, Akeldamach, that is, a bloody piece of ground, for it stands written in the book of Psalms, 'Let this place of abode become deserted and let there be not he who establishes his permanent residence in it, and his office let another person of a different character take.''

It is commonly inferred that the 'wages obtained by wrongdoing' were actually funds that Judas pilfered from the treasury of Jesus' ministry. It may also be possible that this is a different piece of land than that which is mentioned in Matthew.

As to the differences in the ways of death.... sweatdrop Maybe he hung himself and then fell with his organs oozing out? that's the only thing I can think of that could explain it  

Angel_Nyx

Monergism

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:20 am
CARM.org explains this difficulty.

"There is no contradiction here at all because both are true. A contradiction occurs when one statement excludes the possibility of another. In fact, what happened here is that Judas went and hung himself and then his body later fell down and split open. In other words, the rope or branch of the tree probably broke due to the weight and his body fell down and his bowels spilled out.
Also, notice that Matt. 27:3-8 tells us specifically how Judas died, by hanging. Acts 1:16-19 merely tells us that he fell headlong and his bowels gushed out. Acts does not tell us that this is the means of his death where Matthew does."  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:41 am
The big problem is most people don't see past what they read.

Acts 1:18 is Peter talk about Judas being murdered. That is right, I said murdered. Humans, by the way our Father design us, does not falling headlong(foreward) unsley push,does not "asunder in the midst, and all his bowels gushed ouburst" unlese cut by a knife from the lower gut to the neck. You can take not of people falling from plains breaking a bone and that will be the only thing that may pop out of the skin. Our human bodies are that week. See in Acts 1:16 Peter made note that what judas did was the will of our Father. Jesus, who is the lambs, had to be brought to the temple for the sacrifice.

Despite what the english has, Judas never betrayed Jesus. First, that would mean the ablity to pull the wool of His eyes, whcih no man can do. Second the word in the greek is "paradidomi" which means "bring forth" or as we would say, "hand over." In Matthew 26:25 Judas ask and Jesus told him that he was correct. In John 13:27, we see that Satan had entered into Judas and then Jesus givening a commandemt to do it quickly.

Now I don't know was the commandment given to Satan or Judas. We seen in job where Satan still has to do what he is told but I would beat that Satan enter in to try an stop Jesus from being handed over so He could not save our souls, and that Jesus commanded Judas to go on. Now that last part is my personal belief, but it is one of two ways.

Back to Judas murder. Many would ask who would have killed him. The answer is in Matthew 27:3 when Judas relize what was going to be down to Jesus and repent and turn to correct what he did. Judas tried to return the money for Jesus. Like today, if you can't buy some one to keep their mouth shut about an unlawful act, you kill them. That is what it meant by judas "hanged himself" which is realy means to strangel. If you read on they bought the field with the 30 coins that Judas refuse to keep and they killed Judas buy cutting him open.

rockmanx

ioioouiouiouio

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:03 pm
Baptist Holman
CARM.org explains this difficulty.

"There is no contradiction here at all because both are true. A contradiction occurs when one statement excludes the possibility of another. In fact, what happened here is that Judas went and hung himself and then his body later fell down and split open. In other words, the rope or branch of the tree probably broke due to the weight and his body fell down and his bowels spilled out.
Also, notice that Matt. 27:3-8 tells us specifically how Judas died, by hanging. Acts 1:16-19 merely tells us that he fell headlong and his bowels gushed out. Acts does not tell us that this is the means of his death where Matthew does."

But this does not explain how, in Acts, it clearly states that Judas bought the field himself and in Matthew it says that the field was bought by the Pharisees, long after Judas was dead.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:14 pm
rockmanx
Acts 1:18 is Peter talk about Judas being murdered. That is right, I said murdered. Humans, by the way our Father design us, does not falling headlong(foreward) unsley push,does not "asunder in the midst, and all his bowels gushed ouburst" unlese cut by a knife from the lower gut to the neck. You can take not of people falling from plains breaking a bone and that will be the only thing that may pop out of the skin. Our human bodies are that week.

First of all, some people do trip occasionaly, and sharp, big rocks most definatly have the propensity to make one's bowels go sploosh. Plus, This is kinda an act of God (or so it is implied), and those tend to be extravagent at best and down-right unexplainable most of the time.

Quote:
Despite what the english has, Judas never betrayed Jesus.

so the [ur=http://www.biblegateway.com/quicksearch/?quicksearch=Judas&qs_version=31]multitude of verses[/url that say that Judas' betrayal was a planned, premeditated act were just.... wrong?

Quote:
Back to Judas murder. Many would ask who would have killed him. The answer is in Matthew 27:3 when Judas relize what was going to be down to Jesus and repent and turn to correct what he did. Judas tried to return the money for Jesus. Like today, if you can't buy some one to keep their mouth shut about an unlawful act, you kill them. That is what it meant by judas "hanged himself" which is realy means to strangel. If you read on they bought the field with the 30 coins that Judas refuse to keep and they killed Judas buy cutting him open.

Of course, the Bible is simply a giant conspiracy theory and some parts are altered by people to deceive us christians. Crap, you just like, totally disproved christianty.  

ioioouiouiouio

Monergism

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:20 pm
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:24 pm
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  

ioioouiouiouio

Pure.Marauder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:53 am
Are both passagse talking about the same Judas? Rember there are two different men by the name of Judas.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:44 pm
Pure.Marauder
Are both passagse talking about the same Judas? Rember there are two different men by the name of Judas.

Yeah, they're both about Judas Iscariot (the one who betrayed Jesus). In most bible's, you'll find a note saying when a Judas is mentioned that's not Iscariot (because I think there might have been an apostle named Judas).  

ioioouiouiouio

Pure.Marauder

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:53 am
Cometh The Inquisitor
Pure.Marauder

Yeah, they're both about Judas Iscariot (the one who betrayed Jesus). In most bible's, you'll find a note saying when a Judas is mentioned that's not Iscariot (because I think there might have been an apostle named Judas).

Well then, I have absolutly no idea. I suppose it just one of those questions we have to ask God when we get up to heaven.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:08 pm
Cometh The Inquisitor
Pure.Marauder

You're right. There is another apostle named Judas, but he's usually called Jude (the author of Jude), our Thaddeus, because he had three names, one of which was Judas.

When it refers to the money that he got for his wickedness, it does not mean the money he got for betraying Jesus. Judas was one of the men in charge of Jesus' funds for his ministry, and "was alloted his share of the ministry" as it says in Acts 1:17. It is usually thought that Judas stole money from Jesus' ministry and bought a field with that money, seperate from the Potter's Field that the Pharisees bought with the money used to betray Jesus. And the exclusion principle talked about earlier is true as well about the death of Judas. He went and hanged himself, and I would venture to say that perhaps someone came later and spilled his guts out because he had betrayed Jesus? Just a guess though. It's not entirely impossible.

Hence, if there is a likelihood of the passage being interpretted as thus, then it can't be said that it is wholly contradictory.  

immanuelkant

songsparrow

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:35 pm
Cometh The Inquisitor
I was just looking around on Gaia, when I saw a reference to Acts 1:18, which states
Acts 1:18
(With the reward he got for his wickedness, Judas bought a field; there he fell headlong, his body burst open and all his intestines spilled out.

However, Matthew 27:1-10 clearly states that not only did Judas commit suicide (by hanging), but he was not even alive when the field was bought.

Matthew 27:1-10
Early in the morning, all the chief priests and the elders of the people came to the decision to put Jesus to death. They bound him, led him away and handed him over to Pilate, the governor.

When Judas, who had betrayed him, saw that Jesus was condemned, he was seized with remorse and returned the thirty silver coins to the chief priests and the elders. "I have sinned," he said, "for I have betrayed innocent blood."
"What is that to us?" they replied. "That's your responsibility."

So Judas threw the money into the temple and left. Then he went away and hanged himself.

The chief priests picked up the coins and said, "It is against the law to put this into the treasury, since it is blood money." So they decided to use the money to buy the potter's field as a burial place for foreigners. That is why it has been called the Field of Blood to this day. Then what was spoken by Jeremiah the prophet was fulfilled: "They took the thirty silver coins, the price set on him by the people of Israel, and they used them to buy the potter's field, as the Lord commanded me."

What are your thoughts on this?

Luke (the author of Acts) was writing a second hand account. Matthew was a diciple. Goes to show something though. The pharasees had no problem paying blood money, but refused to accept the same money back.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:41 pm
What it basically means is the field was bought with the gold used to betray Jesus.  

Tarack Ollama

Power of Miracles

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:18 am
I feel that the above could be some of the ideas that might be, but I just like to add a few words passing by this thread. Once, we've prayed to God: "No matter how the Bible doesn't make sense to us, regardless of the fact that we do not understand the 'contradictions', our soul are Yours, now and forever."  
*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff