Submit

Kaya Wolf Moon

Mystical Wolf

10,125 Points
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Rebel Spark 50
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:32 am
(NOTE: Anything in blue is voiced by an NPC)

Ezekiel sensed the movement before it could be felt. His body instantly stiffened as the elder stallion wrapped his forearm around his tiny frame. For a fleeting instant, his greatest fears threatened to overwhelm him once more. Had he been tricked? Lied to? Had he been that desperate for reassurance and safety that he allowed himself to be lulled into a false sense of complacency? He waited for the attack, for the sensation of claws or fangs to tear into him. The rational portion of his mind chided him for even considering the stallion capable of such atrocities. Had he not just scrutinized the other in every manner? Yet, the trauma of the night stirred his emotions, muddying his thoughts and overriding his typically balanced demeanor. Only when the moment had passed with no ill outcome did Ezekiel at last relax into the elder’s grip. He burrowed his head deep into the fur of the stallion’s chest, once again letting the tears flow freely. “I c-couldn’t save them. I couldn’t d-do anything. That m-m-monster just showed up from nowhere and a-attacked us,” he wailed softly. The dam he had built around his emotions finally burst open. His breathing hitched with every sentence as he tried to maintain enough composure to speak. “My f-f-father and m-mother fought it. They-they…,” Ezekiel shook his head, closing his eyes and sobbing. “They’re dead because they tried to protect us! B-but that monster was relentless.”

It hurt to picture his brother’s face when the monster had attacked. The youngest of the siblings had been the second to go, after Ezekiel’s father was murdered. His mother had tried valiantly to get them to safety while trying to distract the Skinwalker from them, but to no avail. The tawny foal himself had tried to rescue his brother. Luck had not been on their side, however. The younger sibling had slipped while they were attempting to clamber up the mountainside. His fall took him to the very clutches of the Skinwalker. “I-I wasn’t able to save my bro-brother. I wasn’t strong enough or qu-quick enough. I was supposed to g-get him away from th-there but I failed. I broke my promise. Then mother…” She had been the one to break him from his shocked state, turning him away from the horrific scene being played out below. Her tears glinted in the snow as the two ran, haunted by the terrified gurgles of bloodied screams. “When it came after us again, she…she…” Ezekiel breathed heavily. The implication of what had happened to the mare clear. “If I had been faster…smarter…” Would she still be alive? Would an increased reaction time have given the edge he needed to prevent his brother’s fall? Could they have gotten away, with his father the only casualty? “Here now,” the elder stallion spoke softly, breaking into Ezekiel’s thoughts. “Do not think about the what-ifs and maybes. You’ll do nothing but drive yourself crazy. Your parents sacrificed themselves to give you a chance to live. Do not let that go to waste by being so harsh on yourself.” His heart ached to see such a young foal experience so much trauma.

“B-but I—” “There’ll be no buts,” he continued on firmly yet kindly. “Your life is a miracle meant to be protected. I’m afraid I can’t offer you much, but I can—” The sound of another approaching them caused the rest of his words to fall silent on his lips. Light yet urgent, it seemed as if Lorcan had news. News he was not certain he wished to hear.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:38 pm

Lorcan darted swiftly down the tunnel of the cavern. His father and the young foal were not too far from where he had stood sentry. That could be both a blessing and a curse. Blessing because it would take less time to reach them. Curse because whatever was traipsing down the far corridor would not be far behind either. He was certain now, as he made his way stealthily to his parent, that what he heard was that of a claw scraping against the stone floor or wall. There were few other explanations for such a sharp, scraping sound. A rock scratching against stone had a duller resonance, and it typically had to have some outside force applied to even occur. Bears, cougars and similar wildlife were not known to frequent the area too often. When they did, it was for short periods. Lorcan remembered well the lesson his father taught him a few months ago about the wildlife in the area. They would use the caves for refuge during storms or for resting during the day or night. Very few would make noise enough to alert others to their presence, with the exception of those beings blessed as familiars, and even they were uncommon in this portion of the mountains.

No, the more he pondered the sound he had heard, the more concerned he became. Not only was it constant, set at a certain interval- another oddity not typical of the wildlife in the area- but it was deliberately hushed, as if the perpetrator was trying its best to avoid too much commotion. To Lorcan, it seemed as if the being wanted be sly but was unable to be completely so. I really hope it isn’t what I think it is, he prayed for it not to be the monster the foal had spoken of. Maybe I’m just jumpy because of what happened. Whether that was truth or not, the cream foal knew it was his duty to tell his father of the situation. Even if it turned out to be his overactive imagination, his conscience would be clear that he did his part; although, instinct told him that he was not being imaginative in the least. Something was approaching, and it felt ominous.

Seconds felt like precious minutes as the foal made his way to where the others were. The tawny foal was now wrapped in his father’s arm, pressing into his chest as he silently sobbed. The scene was heartbreaking in its meaning, though Lorcan had little time to settle on it. “Lorcan?” The elder stallion waited for his son to give his news. “Father, something’s in the cave. I heard it coming down the far tunnel,” he whispered with urgency. “It’s trying to stay quiet, but I could hear it dragging a claw or something.” His father furrowed his brow in concern. “Are you certain?” Lorcan hesitated ever so slightly before inclining his head. “It’s not normal for the caves.” A breathy sigh greeted his statement. The stallion had feared this to be the case.  

Kaya Wolf Moon

Mystical Wolf

10,125 Points
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Rebel Spark 50
  • Frozen Sleuth 100

Kaya Wolf Moon

Mystical Wolf

10,125 Points
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Rebel Spark 50
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:55 pm
Could it be true? Was it truly not his fault? Was there nothing he would have been able to do? Was his life worth everything the stallion said it was? Question after endless question cycled through Ezekiel’s thoughts. Faster and faster each came until his head spun. Is it—is it all right for me to live? That- the most simple of questions- was what it dwindled down to. Of all his family members, of the four of them that had once thrived, he was the last to stand, the remainder of what once was. If he were to meet his end, would it be fair or of equal tragedy? His mind decried the idea as a fair happenstance of life. Everyone dies at some point. Yes, some perished younger than others, but such was the way of the world. Less than two hours prior had bore witness to that immutable law of living. Yet his heart ached for it. To be the last of his lineage was a burden he never wished to shoulder; however, to surrender to death would mean the loss of his family entirely. A tragedy, to be certain. And, if he were to die, who would mourn for him? There would be no one left to do so. Likewise would there be no one to mourn his brother, mother, nor his father. Their sacrifices would be for naught. Ezekiel bowed his head, furrowing his brows pensively. A few stray tears dripped onto the stone floor where he stared intently at the rough surface. I won’t allow it. The thought struck him before even fully formed. Its fervor increased as he latched onto it. The loss of everyone he knew and loved would not end up as some tragic bedtime tale to be told to foals. The murder of his family would not become merely a cautionary anecdote for travelers. The impact of their loss could not be lessened by time. Their lives may have ended but his continued. He would not, COULD not allow himself to forget that fact. Indeed, he would thrive. He would remember them and mourn for them, yes, but he would also live for them.

As luck might have it, he seemed to have been given such a chance already. Ezekiel’s ears twitched in nervous anticipation. Was he misunderstanding the intentions? Surely, the stallion had better things to do than to tend to an orphaned foal…and yet… He raised his head to meet the gaze of the stallion. Before the other could continue, however, they were interrupted by the appearance of the elder foal. The tawny foal blinked in shock. His mind struggled to comprehend the situation at first. Then, in an instant, it crashed down upon him. The monster- it had to be the monster from before. Come to finish its dastardly job. Ezekiel’s heart began to beat rapidly and harshly in his chest as panic welled up inside. No…no, no, no, no, no…  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:48 pm

He awaited his father’s orders with nervous anticipation. His senses were heightened- on high alert for anything unusual. Ears strained to hear any sound in the caverns, wanting to catch any note of scraping or approach. Nostrils flared in hopes of picking up the unfamiliar scent of an intruder. Eyes were wider than typical, darting about and peering into the shadows of every nook and cranny. Even his skin prickled while every hair stood on end. He could almost taste the tension in the air. Is this what it’s like to face danger? Lorcan could not resist the notion. He, like many foals his age, yearned for adventure and excitement. He recalled well the stories his father told him about travelers who had performed great feats when danger reared its ugly head. Could this be his moment to do the same? For an instant, he allowed himself to imagine it. To picture what it would be like to conquer a beast cleverer and larger than himself. He could be lauded as a hero. Praised for destroying something as ghastly as a Skinwalker and bringing justice upon it. Yes, for a moment, it was an enticing prospect. But then, as with all things self-serving and gratuitous, reality broke back into the fore. Panicked breathing drew Lorcan from his reverie. Blue orbs settled on the hyperventilating foal at his father’s chest. The tawny one’s disheveled appearance was like a tonic of clarity. The bloodied and matted fur signified precisely what could come from standing against peril.

Lorcan stood dumbstruck. He had allowed himself to be caught up in the grandeur of fame. He was nearly swept away by its call. However, fame was not easily sought or given. It came with sacrifices and turmoil that were often times excluded from fairy tales. The younger foal in front of him was a stark reminder of this. Guilt coursed through him. How could he have been so eager to rush into danger after all the other had been through? Had he not less than a few minutes before listened to him lament the loss of his family at the claws of the Skinwalker? If two grown Soquili were incapable of defeating the monster, what chances did Lorcan ever hope to possess? It was a mockery of Ezekiel’s plight to think himself better than those who had perished. He felt ashamed for considering it, if even for just a moment. I’m an idiot for even thinking about it like that. The poor guy’s hurting, we could be in very real trouble and here I am thinking about glory. Disgusting. Lorcan’s mouth contorted in a frown. His thoughts darted in all directions, making it difficult to stay focused on their situation. “We need to leave,” his father’s words brought him back to the task at hand. Solid and steady, his presence was an anchor both colts needed, each in their own way. “But…how?”  

Kaya Wolf Moon

Mystical Wolf

10,125 Points
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Rebel Spark 50
  • Frozen Sleuth 100

Kaya Wolf Moon

Mystical Wolf

10,125 Points
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Rebel Spark 50
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:15 pm

The question hung in the air, heavy and thick. How? A simple inquiry but one that had no simple answer. “I-it’s my fault,” Ezekiel lamented sourly. “If I hadn’t hidden here, then we wouldn’t be trapped by…by that thing.” Of course, it had been his luck that the monster would seek him out. He would doom another stallion and his foal the same fate that had befallen his own family. It was a thought the tawny foal could not bear to withstand. He could not, would not, be the cause of more pain and suffering. But what would he be able to do to prevent it? A niggling sensation crept from the back of his consciousness. An idea frightful and terrible, yet possibly their only salvation. “Maybe…,” the young one frowned, licking his lips and shuffling uncertainly as he attempted to voice the idea. “Maybe if I were to lead it away—” “No,” the cream-colored stallion cut through his words. His eyes blazed with a ferocity Ezekiel had not seen since in a long time. It was not that of a monster but of a father protecting his family. “But the monster won’t let up. He’ll keep coming after me.” Ezekiel attempted to protest the other’s decision. If he could just lead the Skinwalker away from the others, they might have a chance at survival. He could do for them what his parents had tried to do for him and his sibling.

“No,” the stallion repeatedly firmly. His blue eyes focused on Ezekiel, softening as he spoke again. “Your intentions are noble, but I will not see a foal surrender his life so easily. Not when there is another way.” Ezekiel stared back at him. His own eyes bored into the other’s in search of any hint of uncertainty. How could it be possible for someone to be so confident and selfless? Here, Ezekiel had offered up the only solution he could determine- the only one that made any sense- and the stallion refused it without a second’s consideration. “But the monster—” “Will be dealt with. On my honor, I will see it punished for what it has done. However, there is something that I need from you.” Wide-eyed, Ezekiel gulped down his fear. “Wh-what would that be?” “I need the two of you to listen to me. Whatever I say, whatever I ask, you must obey it. If I am to face this monster, then I must know you won’t hesitate. Do you understand, little one?” Heart racing, he inclined his head in agreement. “Good. Then stay next to Lorcan. He will help you.” Another nod and the foal moved next to the elder one.

His knees started to tremble. The mere notion of facing the monster again terrified him. Why? Why is this happening? I’m not strong enough for this. I can’t—I can’t… The tears from before slowly spilled from the corners of his eyes, trailing down the fur of his cheeks. Father, Mother, please! His mind wailed to the spirits of his deceased family. If there was an all powerful being, perhaps it would hear his pleas as well. Maybe allow the ghosts of his family to protect him and the ones trying so earnestly to aid him. Please. Please don’t let any harm come to them. Not because of me. Please. They began their trek into the darkness. Ezekiel took one shaky step after another, clinging to the side of Lorcan while the stallion guided the way. He did not know if the stallion could truly do as he promised. The Skinwalker was a brute and relentless. Would he truly be able to stand against it? Dare the young foal hope it to be the case? Try as he might, Ezekiel could not help but trust and believe it.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:59 pm

Lorcan could see the fervor in his father’s eyes. He knew the stallion would come up with a plan to get them safely out of there. There was no doubt in his mind. His father was brave, strong, and capable. Even so, a skeptical portion of his mind spoke up. He’s not invincible. A Skinwalker that’s—NO! The cream and white foal pursed his lips, shaking the thoughts from his mind. Now was not the time to think negatively. He had to believe and trust. His father had never let him down before and he certainly wouldn’t now. Not when their lives might hang in the balance. Lorcan’s gaze locked onto the tawny foal, mouth dropping open at the other’s suggestion. Heck no! He wanted to yell at the foal for even thinking of something like that. Certainly, it was brave of him, but it was also incredibly stupid and selfish. The young foal’s family had died trying to protect him and here he wanted to throw all that away? Emotions warred within Lorcan. He simultaneously wanted to whack the back of the colt’s head and give him a reassuring hug. Nobody needed to die. They WOULD get out of this situation. Fortunately for Ezekiel, his father was the first to speak and denounce the idea.

“Yeah,” Lorcan piped in once his father had finished, “There’s no need for that. We’ll get out of here just fine. You’ll see. Just stick with me, okay? I won’t let that thing near you. I promise.” It was a promise he did not make lightly. He had seen the terror and sorrow in the young colt’s features. He had witnessed how shattered he had become at the claws of the Skinwalker. Young though he may be, Lorcan understood that the colt needed someone to watch over him and assure him, to comfort him. His father had recognized the same need. The elder foal did not misconstrue his father’s intentions. Without using so many words, the stallion had issued him an important task. Yes, he must protect Ezekiel with every fiber of his being, but he must also be his rock. He must be the foundation upon which the young one could stand without faltering. Someone to rely on in times of trouble- in this case especially. Not for glory or acclaim, but for the sake of another. This was his father placing faith in him to do his task and do it well. A call which Lorcan would answer a thousand-fold.

Chest welling with pride, Lorcan affixed his gaze to his father and gave a nod of acknowledgement. His blue eyes said what he dared not voice aloud. Do your best. I’ll keep him safe. The elder stallion smiled as he inclined his head. “Then let us be off.” He took the lead, readying himself for a perilous fight. If the Skinwalker wanted to get to the tawny foal, then it would have to go through both himself and his father. An endeavor they would not make easy in the least. Besides, they held one advantage Lorcan felt sure the monster did not have. The mountains were their home. They knew the lay of the land. Its crevices and its peaks. It would not defeat them here.  

Kaya Wolf Moon

Mystical Wolf

10,125 Points
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Rebel Spark 50
  • Frozen Sleuth 100

Kaya Wolf Moon

Mystical Wolf

10,125 Points
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Rebel Spark 50
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:18 pm

The air grew thick with tension with every step they took. Anticipation and anxiety were palpable in each inhale and exhale of breath. It was all they could do to keep pressing onward, especially the youngest of the foals. Lorcan had sensed his apprehension even before they took the first step. It was clear to him that the youngest was petrified of facing the monster once again. He won’t lay a claw on you. I swear it, the cream and white colt vowed silently. On his honor, the tan colt would not be harmed. He would make sure of it. Not only because his father had handed him the duty, but also because he felt a pang of protectiveness towards the younger foal. One who had been through so much did not deserve to feel so alone and defenseless. No, he’s not either of those anymore. Lorcan’s features hardened into a proud, defiant stare. He’s got us to help him now. And they would do just that. No matter what peril lay ahead, they would face it with the same vigor and bravery their family always had. This monster, whatever sort of Skinwalker it may be, would be brought to justice. They could not be defeated in their home territory. Of course, a faint voice of doubt niggled in the back of the elder foal’s mind, His father probably thought the same thing… No! He shook his head violently, forcing those thoughts to vacate as swiftly as they arose. A flicker of movement on his left drew his focus. Ezekiel was gazing at him uncertainly, his nervousness more pronounced. Lorcan smiled at him and nodded reassuringly. He dared not speak for fear of drawing the creature’s attention, though his blue orbs were alight with confidence and calm. They seemed to say “Trust in us. We’ll be fine.” Lorcan felt as if he saw understanding dawn in the other’s eyes before he looked away. He hoped it to be the case.

As they approached the point where the tunnel snaked into the darkness, Lorcan’s senses began to work in overdrive. He could taste the must in the air. His ears picked up every tiny clink and snickt of the earth shifting around them. His nerves were on edge. Even his vision seemed to sharpen, making everything around him appear to be rich and in high definition. The young colt had never experienced the world as he did in this moment. Granted, his father had tried to explain it to him once, but he had not been able to do it justice. The rush of adrenaline coursing through him was far beyond the ordinary. His racing heart somehow made him feel more alive…more present. Is this what it means to be a protector? If so, then-- Lorcan was unable to finish his thought. A low, ominous growl emanated from the darkness ahead. His father had stopped ahead of them, having already situated himself into his fighting stance. “On your guard,” he whispered. The cream and white foal inserted himself in front of Ezekiel. Body tensed for action, breathing shallow, he waited for what was next to come.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:28 pm
(NOTE: Anything in blue or red is voiced by an NPC)

Ezekiel’s chest ached. His heart was racing, beating hard and rapidly. The monster was in front of them. He did not have to see it to know it was there. He could hear it. He could smell it. The stench of muck and rot. There was a taste of iron in the air as well. A taste of blood. His ears laid flat against his head as he reflexively took a step back. The tawny foal seemed to shrink into himself, attempting to make himself smaller. He wanted to be brave like the others, but he felt himself faltering at the mere presence of the beast. How can he beat that? Ezekiel whimpered softly. What if the stallion lost his life to the monster as well? The colt had hoped those notions had been banished, but they were rushing to the fore of his mind once more, driving his anxiety to increase. He contemplated running. Maybe if he ran the thing would follow and the two would be spared. Hazel eyes flicked to the elder colt standing in front of him. He was taken aback by the piercing gaze that greeted him.

Lorcan had sensed the tension arising from Ezekiel. It had been rolling off of him in waves and had grown the second they heard the growl. He checked his father’s stance before casting a look over his shoulder at the younger one. Ezekiel was visibly shaken by the Skinwalker’s proximity. Even the least observant individual could see as much. What worried Lorcan the most, however, was the expression on the foal’s face. It was similar to one he had worn before, indicating he was contemplating running. A fire entered Lorcan’s blue orbs. Determination and ferocity mixed together. Turning a bit more, he stared hard at Ezekiel, allowing his eyes to meet his. The message was plain. Running will solve nothing. We fight to protect no matter what.

The smaller colt felt a pang in his heart. Tears welled up in his eyes. They were really going to fight for him…. These two who knew hardly anything about him, who had only just met him, were placing their lives on the line so that he might have a chance at living.

“Give me,” a deep, guttural voice echoed. “Give it.” Ezekiel closed his eyes and pressed closer to Lorcan. If he had never heard that voice again, it would be a blessing. “I think not,” the stallion growled back. “You are not welcome here. Leave this place in peace or suffer the consequences.” There was silence. Then a harsh cackle filled the cavern. “Fool. No peace. Only destruction. I will take…” In a flash of movement, the beast hurled itself at Lorcan’s father. The two foals could but watch the battle for survival that ensued.  

Kaya Wolf Moon

Mystical Wolf

10,125 Points
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Rebel Spark 50
  • Frozen Sleuth 100

Kaya Wolf Moon

Mystical Wolf

10,125 Points
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Rebel Spark 50
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:38 pm

The battle waged on for what felt like an eternity, but what was likely mere moments. For each blow the stallion landed, the Shifter seemed to strike with one equally as vicious. Round and round in circles they moved, parrying and thrashing, slashing and darting. Every inch gained by one became the same inch lost. It was a dance of brutality and savagery, with Lorcan’s father utilizing every advantage he held in an attempt to best the monster. In the end- and this would remain vivid in the foals’ minds for years to come- it was ice which would see to the end of the monster. The elder stallion, with much effort and cajoling, had routed the Shifter to a part of the caverns notorious for freezing in the winter. He and Lorcan had always given the area a wide berth during the winter months because of this. Neither of them had wished to test their luck. Today, his father was going to do just that. Throughout the macabre dance, Lorcan had noted the cream stallion’s intentions. If the tunnel were as treacherous as they believed, and if the monster were as distracted as he appeared, then it might be possible to lure him into the entrance. It could work! Lorcan’s chest welled with hope. They simply needed the fates to smile upon them with a little luck.

Just a little luck…Please, please let it work… Lorcan prayed to the spirits above. He prayed like he had never prayed before in his life. He prayed for his father, he prayed for himself but, most importantly, he prayed for the tawny foal he stood protectively in front of…for his safety and theirs, and for the stuff of nightmares to be ended. Well, someone above must have been listening. No sooner had Lorcan finished his silent pleas than the Shifter gave a guttural roar and charged his father; except, the stallion sidestepped the blow and, instead of striking him, the Shifter struck one of the many stalagmites dotting the cavern floor. So enraged and blinded by his bloodlust, the evil one failed to take notice of the distinctive cracking sounds issuing from above. Subsequently, he failed to notice the sharp sticks of ice dropping from the stone ceiling, disturbed from their places by his fierce blow. It was five of these which dealt the fatal blows to the Shifter. Five pieces of ice that found their marks, ending the nightmare at last.

Both foals stared in disbelief. Lorcan could not believe the luck of it. Ezekiel uncertain whether the ordeal was actually over and done with. It took the elder stallion dealing his own finishing move to the monster for there to be absolute certainty. And, with that, the spell was broken. “All right!” Lorcan jumped up and down in elation. “You did it, Dad! Just like I knew you would!” His father smiled at the exuberant display by his son. He was glad that at least one of them believed he would win. He himself had not been so certain of his victory. As it stood, he felt lucky to be alive and to have come away with only a handful of injuries. The worst of which was a gash going across his right eye. A glancing blow, all things considered, but still serious enough to warrant needing medical attention. That could wait for the time being, however. First, he needed to check on the younger foal and see to his needs. “Are you both unharmed?” He asked, glancing from one colt to the other. Lorcan, of course, gave a quick nod. “Never better. Especially now that you kicked that monster’s tail! He never saw that coming!” The cream and tan foal’s tail swished excitedly back and forth, blue eyes gleaming with pride. His father grinned softly before turning his gaze to Ezekiel. “And what about you, son, are you okay?” For his part, Ezekiel could barely contain himself. He stood rooted to the spot. His dark eyes darted from the Shifter to the stallion several times. His mouth was dry from fear, as well as many other emotions he could not put into words. Yet, upon hearing that single word- son- he finally let his walls down. Every bit of every single emotion came pouring out. Ezekiel did the one thing he knew to- he wept.

Lorcan whirled around. “Hey, no, it’s okay now. You don’t have to worry about that thing anymore. Come on…shhhh.” He glanced up at his father, at a loss for what else to do. Still smiling, the elder stallion gave a gentle shake of his head. He padded over to the little one and eased himself down, settling carefully next to him. The young foal did not need any encouragement, taking the gesture for what it was. He immediately nestled into the larger male’s side, mindful of any injuries despite his distress, and continued to sob. Lorcan took the cue from his father and also lay down. The elder colt had no idea what to say, so he opted for placing a comforting paw atop of Ezekiel’s. How long they stayed like that none of them knew; but, eventually, they stirred. No good would come from staying in the caves any longer…neither mentally for Ezekiel or physically for the father. So, onward home it would be.

WC: 891  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:33 pm
PRESENT DAY:

How a day could feel so distant yet so near, Lorcan would never understand. Despite the passage of the years, that night was always fresh in his mind, as if it had happened only yesterday. To him, it was an auspicious day. Not because his father bested a Shifter. Not because of the gamut of emotions he had experienced, not the least of which was indescribable terror. Rather, it was because he had received a brother that day. Make no mistake, though. Lorcan did not take the tragedy and the trauma Ezekiel had experienced lightly; no, in fact, he made a vow that very night that he would always be there for his little brother to help him deal with and overcome it. It was the main reason why he never openly spoke about the circumstances of that day around Ezekiel. His brother knew he could always speak with him about anything, but especially about their first encounter. Lorcan assumed if the nightmares and disjointed memories became too much that Zeke would come to him for answers. Granted, he could not provide all of the answers since he had not been present when the Shifter first attacked Zeke’s family, but he could provide a few and add on a bit of comfort to boot. It had taken a long time for Ezekiel to tread into those waters, yet he had in the end. Lorcan filled in what blanks he could while the rest was left to the younger stallion’s mind. It was less than ideal, as witnessed by how often Ezekiel would be awakened by his nightmares. But there was nothing to do for it. Zeke was ultimately the one with the answers he sought. Although, as much as Zeke wished to know about his past, Lorcan felt equally adamant it was best that the memories remained locked away.

We could think ourselves in circles all night if we let ourselves. Lorcan yawned widely, giving a small shake of his head. “Listen, I know there is a lot of your past that you cannot remember, and I know it is driving you crazy that you cannot do so. You have always had the need to know about everything around you. To not have all of the knowledge about yourself can be infuriating I imagine; however, perhaps it is for the best this way…at least for right now. Memories can be painful at times, but yours…well, let’s say that based on how you were when we found you, I can only imagine how painful they would be. So, I am asking you, as your elder brother, to put it from your mind as best as you can for the time being. Try to live in the here and now, in the present, with me. But also know that I am always here if you need to talk about it…okay?” He knew that he rambled some, though he hoped Ezekiel would find the truth in his words. He loved his little brother and would do anything for him. If it meant helping him fight his demons, then he would, of course. Lorcan simply did not want Ezekiel to become engulfed by this, to lose all of the stability he had gained over the years.

Ezekiel stared thoughtfully up at the heavens, mulling over his brother’s words. He was not certain he could let go so easily as Lorcan stated. Yet…there was some wisdom to be had there. One could not exist in the past and thrive in the future. No one had ever been able to live that way. And living was the gift he had been given all those years ago. Who was he to squander it? With a heavy sigh, Ezekiel looked over at his elder brother. “I suppose I can at least give it a try. I cannot guarantee my mind will not seek out the answers of its own accord but…” He shrugged. “I will not find out unless I make the attempt.” Stifling his own yawn, the tawny stallion stood to his feet. “Come on, Big Brother, I think it is time we went back to bed. We can still get a couple of hours of sleep before dawn.” Lorcan eyed Ezekiel for a moment. Slowly, a grin spread across his muzzle and he also rose. “That is perhaps the best idea you’ve ever had,” he teased. “Last one to bed is a rotten egg!” He raced past Zeke to the comfy patch of hay he had been slumbering in earlier. Ezekiel grinned, chuckling in amusement. Yes, he may have lost quite a bit that night, but he had gained a lot as well. He had a family- a mother, a father, a sister, a brother- who loved him, wanted the best for him…and that was plenty. Regaining his memories might happen in time, but they were not all of who he was. It was as Lorcan rightly stated…he needed to live in the here and now, to be who he was today and not who he might have been then. Hmmm…perhaps the snow is not so terrible after all…

FIN

WC: 853  

Kaya Wolf Moon

Mystical Wolf

10,125 Points
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Rebel Spark 50
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
Open/Private Canon IC RP

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff