Maditah had been struggling to settle into her new pride, not really because of any particular reason, but it was a far bigger pride than her original home had been, and there were so very many new faces and a far larger territory to memorize. Several of the more interesting characters had stuck out and she knew of the two Umama, each having originally backed one of the two Umholi around the time Maditah herself had come to the pride. Bangizwe had been one of the faces she recognised instantly and she often thought of the big golden male. He reminded her closely of her previous pride and its protector male with whom she had held a very deep and long lasting friendship. She could sense something similar in Bangizwe, and she longed to get to know the male more intimately, perhaps even form the same kind of close friendship she had enjoyed before. But in this land the Umholi were desperately outnumbered, and with so many females vying for their attention… Well, Maditah had simply been content to watch from afar. But as for the rest of it, her pride-sisters, the laws and traditions of the Ithmabo, she had been learning slowly. What she really needed was someone to go to, to talk with when she got confused, and someone who could explain the myriad different events and such she ran into daily. What Maditah really wanted, however, was a friend. Atmaca was still the only lioness she was close to, and both of them were busisa, having met in the roguelands and came upon this pride together.

A sound up ahead called her wandering attention and she saw another notable female walking towards her. It was Sanele, a well known lioness, not for any great hunting or leadership ability, but as a gossip. However, she was a friendly one, always with a funny story or an amusing anecdote to share. And she never spoke ill or anyone except hyenas and rogue males. Both of whom she held a deep distrust and, in the case of the hyenas, a deeper hatred.

“Alo there!” The tan and red lioness called, walking with a determined gait directly toward Maditah, as if the Umzingeli had been seeking her out specifically. Maditah, lifted her head in surprise, blinking at the approaching lioness before remembering her manners and standing. “Hello, Umzingeli Sanele.” She replied politely, pale silver eyes a little wide.

“Oh posh. Call me Sanele.” The Ithambo-born female replied, grinning as she pulled up in front of Maditah, eyeing the paler female with an appraising but friendly gaze. “What are you doing all the way out here? I had to borrow Ilanga’s vulture to find you.” She asked, looking about curiously after pointing up at the clear blue sky overhead where a dark shape circled, as if there would be some clue to be seen that would explain the Busisa’s choice of location. Maditah shook her head, unable to follow the sudden and rapid flow of conversation, a conversation she hadn’t exactly been prepared for.

“Oh, uh.. ok Sanele.” She nodded in return, looking somewhat helpless against the tidal flow of the other lioness’ forceful personality. “Um… I was hunting, while out for a walk… “ She offered a little hesitantly, her voice naturally soft. In truth she had wanted space to clear her head and gather her thoughts, having been suffering a brief period of loneliness, caught up in unwanted reminiscing of her old life, before her pride sisters had turned jealous and chased her out. Sanele bobbed her head matter of factly before moving round to collapse at Maditah’s side, stretching out as if they had been friends forever. “Did you catch anything?” She asked the paler female, blue eyes bright with intelligence. At Maditah’s shake of her head, Sanele smiled, a surprisingly soft and understanding expression. “We can hunt later. For now, I need some company.” She replied, stretching her lean shape out on the close-cropped grass.

Maditah gazed down at her, confusion and puzzlement writ large upon her features. For a long moment she blinked helplessly at the female who lay so relaxed and content beside her. But eventually the Busisa gave in and lay back down, settling beside Sanele with a soft sigh as she had known Maditah would eventually, making her grin. “There now.” She said, after the comfortable silence had stretched for a while. It was about time she revealed the actual reason why she had come all the way out here. Not that she hadn’t already, of course. After all, employing another lion’s vulture for a personal errand was hardly subtle, but no one had ever accused Sanele of being subtle. “How are you settling in? You have been here a while now am I correct? About as long as Bangizwe.” At Maditah’s slow nod she grinned, hoisting herself up onto her stomach in order to gaze down at the other lioness, though she was glad to see Maditah stayed stretched out flat, only her head propped up on one foreleg to watch Sanele in return.

“I like it here.” Maditah replied after a moment, clearly confused as to why Sanele had seemingly come all the way out here to ask Maditah such a question. “Its such a large pride, there is a lot to remember.” Though truthfully that wasn’t really the problem, she still missed her homeland, and she supposed, she always would. Though that pain was dulled now, an echo of what it had been. “But…” Sanele prompted when Maditah didn’t continue, earning herself a soft, apologetic smile. “I miss him… my old King.” She admitted, a soft wistfulness in her voice. A knowing smile curled across Sanele’s muzzle as she shifted closer, pressing their bodies together and covering one of Maditah’s paws with her own in a companionable movement. Lions were social creatures, and Sanele possibly one of the most social of all of them. “Tell me all about him.” She urged with a bright grin, eyes twinkling. Sanele loved a good tale after all.

((Words = 1,013))