Shauku
Shauku thought back to their most recent chat. Her Malenga had been worried, very worried and rightly so. The drought was beginning to cause more than just a problem of thirst, it was brewing some possible disloyalty, or at least that was her personal worry. The weather wasn't something the Malenga could control, but that wouldn't always stop certain groups from thinking one way or the other.

With all of this loading down on Shauku she sought out to find her leader and friend to ensure she was well. She figured she would feel a little better seeing the female in person, than to just listen for anything.

Nantale
Nantale paced back and forth in front of her den. Things were weighing heavier on her than they ever had been, what with the drought and the recent attacks on the lions. Questions had been coming to her that she couldn't answer and now, even when she was alone, all she could do was worry.

It was getting to be too much.

Turning away from her den, she set out on a walk to try to clear her mind. She didn't get very far before her dear friend came into view. The one lion she could rely on to listen to her without worrying about it getting around the pride...what would she do without her? She was always so calm and focused.

"Shauku...what wonderful timing,"

Shauku
Rain... and the daydream was gone. The voice that cut through the thoughts was the exact lioness she had been seeking. Her sweet friend, her kind and loving companion. "Nantale." Shauku spoke the name fondly. "Not to be tremendously corny, but that goes both ways on all occassions." Her smile grew and she made eye contact with the Malenga.

"Something seems to be weighing on your mind, something more than what is already going on. Are you alright?" The sounds of her voice were filled with concern, it had been tough the last while and though Shauku was certain that Nantale wouldn't do anything foolish, one couldn't help, but worry for her.

Nantale
Nantale let out a weak laugh as Shauku hit the nail on the head with her first try. She shook her head a bit, lifting it to look at her friend with a weary expression.

"What isn't weighing on my mind these days?" she asked quietly. "This isn't something I can do anymore, Shauku. I can't...it's not something I've ever been good at. I've struggled for so long...I'm tired. I don't want them to look at me anymore. Ask me questions I can't answer. Request things I can't give. It's killing me, I can feel it."

Shauku
The laugh broke Shaukus heart. It paled in comparison to the usual hearty laugh that seemed to boom with. Silence. Though she liked to think the silence was to prepare her for what to say, it was truly there because she was shocked into it.

"You.. aren't giving up are you?" Her words trembled lightly, but she stayed firm and strong. The rock Nantale had come to known was not about to crumble before her very eyes. "I realize the struggle. I can see what it's doing to you.." Shauku made eye contact, staring into those tired eyes. Her whole effort was pushed to keeping herself calm, cool, collected and try for a small smile through all of it.

"Is there anything I can do, perhaps ward off those who intend to accuse? Speak with some to help keep away glaring eyes." Desperation, perhaps her final steps to really try and aid the exhausted leader. She wasn't prepared for what would happen should Nantale step down, or worse.

Nantale
Nantale appreciated her friend's offer to help, and honestly it fueled what she was about to say that much more. She had been thinking on this for a while and here Shauku was, wanting to help in any way possible.

"There is one thing you might do," she said quietly. "And I ask that you don't make a decision right away because this is a large request." She let out a slow breath and lifted her head a bit higher to try to shake off some of the weariness. "You have always been there for me, always been a sturdy rock in a swift river, the best advice-giver I could ask for. You've always been so strong...and now. Now you still ask what you can do for me."

She was quiet a bit longer before meeting her friend's gaze. "Would you consider taking my place."

Shauku
Shauku was quick to nod in agreeance with the words coming from Nantales maw. She continued listening patiently and trying to determine where this was going until the bomb dropped. She held Nantales gaze, stared hard into her friends eyes.

Then silence, again.

"Are you sure I'd be the right fit?" Jitters caught her and she fidgeted slightly with the bag at her shoulder. "Would you be comfortable shifting such a role?" She wasn't about to say no, if this is what needed to be done, she would comply. It had become very clear that Nantale was growing weary of the task. Shauku just wasn't sure if she had picked right by the pride.

"Would you stay? Act as a guide?"

Nantale
"I feel as though you would be the best for the role," Nantale said seriously. "You've been there for me at every step. You know the ins and outs of the pride better than anyone else. You're always calm in times of stress."

The question made her hesitate. Yes, she would stay while she got used to the new role to direct her on the finer points of ruling...but stay for good? She wasn't sure.

"I will assist you, that much I know," she said quietly. "But I feel as though my time here is coming to an end. I don't want to be looked upon with distrust or dislike, or even pity. But that remains to be seen. I won't be going anywhere any time soon, at least.'

Shauku
Slowly the conversation grew to have a more formal feeling, this was truly happening. Shauku was grasping at the situation, processing what was happening and how large of a change this would be. Again, though, she would not say no.

"Your words are very kind Nantale." Shauku swallowed swiftly, calming herself as Nantale finsihed speaking. To top off the change she would also possibly lose a friend. This would likely become one of the most difficult tasks of her life. "It wouldn't be fair to assume you would stay forever. Everyone must eventually find their own way."

She smiled a soft and gentle smile.

"For the time being, I will greatly appreciate you being by my side. This will be no easy task, yours will be large shoes to fill." Nerves were shot, but she held herself strong. "If you don't mind, I'd like to go for a walk, you're welcome to join me of course." Her offer was polite and relaxed. Shauku was sure she'd sleep well tonight, it'd be a long day of thoughts from this point forward.

Nantale
Nantale was thankful her friend seemed up to the task and she nodded at the request. "Of course, you need time to think about this. I'll come with you for a while to answer questions you may have, but if you need time alone to think, please don't hesitate to ask me to leave."

She didn't want to toss her friend to the hyenas after all. She'd be with her until she was certain Shauku could handle things on her own. She followed her friend as they set off on a walk, hoping that their moving paws would keep their minds chugging away as well.

SilverLutz