Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Experiences & Running Panels/Conventions Info
What do you look for in a con?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

xinitia

Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:36 pm
There are a lot of different types of conventions. There's big ones that attract well-known voice actors. There are small ones that are easier to digest, with a lot of local pulls. There are also the up-and-coming cons that are somewhere in between.

What are your favorite types of cons to attend? What do you look for, and what brings you back to a particular con?

I personally like a little bit of everything in my yearly con diet. I usually attend one, maaaybe two big conventions a year, one or so up and coming, and a handful of small conventions. It's a lot of fun seeing these conventions grow, and I like helping out at them.

I'm currently in the process of moving for my job, so I'm looking forward to exploring a whole new con circle!  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:19 pm
I have attend both anime and comic conventions. For anime conventions, I have been to Otafest since 2010, Animethon 20, and Otafest Aurora 2014. As for comic conventions, I have only been to one, which was Edmonton Expo 2012. The biggest convention that I have been to was either Otafest or Animethon. I still want to attend bigger conventions, which are way bigger than Otafest and Animethon, that are in Vancouver or Toronto though. Now, I'm going from my perspective on these conventions, which are all in Alberta, Canada. It may be different elsewhere. Just keep that in mind. ^^;;

I personally like the atmosphere of anime conventions than comic conventions. I find that there is more of a community atmosphere with anime conventions. Anime conventions tend to have more panels, events, and contests. They also have vendor halls, artist alleys, and special guests. Special guests at anime conventions generally giveaway their autographs for free. I know that Otafest has always supported a certain charity every year. They give us certain incentives, which often involves 'the board of directors of Otafest' (people that run Otafest) to get humiliated at the Closing Ceremony, to donate. There is also a Charity Drive/Auction, where you can win great things while donating to a cause. Even the proceeds from every VIP pass sold, goes to the charity.

I find that comic conventions focus a lot on the money. Comic conventions tend to focus on selling merchandise and selling autographs from celebrities. These autographs are generally not free to get. There is also not so many panels to go to. There is also limited space to relax and sit down.

KayaLing

Vice Captain

Interesting Gaian

13,540 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250
  • Angelic Alliance 100

xinitia

Crew

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:52 pm
KayaLing
I have attend both anime and comic conventions. For anime conventions, I have been to Otafest since 2010, Animethon 20, and Otafest Aurora 2014. As for comic conventions, I have only been to one, which was Edmonton Expo 2012. The biggest convention that I have been to was either Otafest or Animethon. I still want to attend bigger conventions, which are way bigger than Otafest and Animethon, that are in Vancouver or Toronto though. Now, I'm going from my perspective on these conventions, which are all in Alberta, Canada. It may be different elsewhere. Just keep that in mind. ^^;;

I personally like the atmosphere of anime conventions than comic conventions. I find that there is more of a community atmosphere with anime conventions. Anime conventions tend to have more panels, events, and contests. They also have vendor halls, artist alleys, and special guests. Special guests at anime conventions generally giveaway their autographs for free. I know that Otafest has always supported a certain charity every year. They give us certain incentives, which often involves 'the board of directors of Otafest' (people that run Otafest) to get humiliated at the Closing Ceremony, to donate. There is also a Charity Drive/Auction, where you can win great things while donating to a cause. Even the proceeds from every VIP pass sold, goes to the charity.

I find that comic conventions focus a lot on the money. Comic conventions tend to focus on selling merchandise and selling autographs from celebrities. These autographs are generally not free to get. There is also not so many panels to go to. There is also limited space to relax and sit down.

I've noticed that larger comic conventions focus more on money than the smaller ones. Small, local or up-and-coming comic cons tend have a greater excitement about them. They're usually aimed for a younger demographic and focus more on the shared excitement and joy from the genre.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:17 pm
Voice Actors
Masquerade skits
Photo Shoots
and unique contests
Panels  

nena_sakura

Fashionable Detective

25,075 Points
  • Runway Supermodel 1000
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Conventioneer 300

Ghost Girlfriend

Mewling Vampire

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:12 am
I definitely look forward to the dealers room, artist alley, and photo shoots I could participate in. And when I don't have anything else to do I look at the schedule for any panels that sound like fun :>  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:11 pm
big cons are the only ones i've ever been to but i really do like a lottt of different kinds of panels/tournaments and voice actors that i know! that and big big big marketplace/merchandise selections xd i feel like i'm getting my money's worth!  

Snort Like A Pig

IRL Noob

elfbride

Ornate Shapeshifter

6,300 Points
  • Married 100
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • NPCon Attendee 100
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:05 pm
i mostly look for polite people, good service, a good arcade, and a good dealers room!! i kinda get a lil' sad when the dealers room is too small...  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:45 am
When I go to conventions, I always look for good/amazing cosplays, Meet-ups for cosplay gatherings, sometimes panels, and dances ( like raves or a black and white ball).  

Dreams-Celestial

Tipsy Conversationalist

5,475 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Member 100

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:08 am
chinami-oki
When I go to conventions, I always look for good/amazing cosplays, Meet-ups for cosplay gatherings, sometimes panels, and dances ( like raves or a black and white ball).

Hi, What Cons do you go to and what is a black and white ball? Please mention the cons that you go to here and in the appropriate Convention Region Sub Forum. Thanks and have fun going to them.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:36 pm
smithers456
chinami-oki

Hi, What Cons do you go to and what is a black and white ball? Please mention the cons that you go to here and in the appropriate Convention Region Sub Forum. Thanks and have fun going to them.

the black and white ball is a dance. They play classy music, and you can go in cosplay or regular clothes, but they just have to be formal. smile  

Dreams-Celestial

Tipsy Conversationalist

5,475 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Member 100

Hypnotic Dentist

IRL Warlock

46,925 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:01 pm
To avoid scams like akibacon, I like to make sure the con has been hosted for at least 5 years in a row before I buy a badge.

I live in SoCal and there's a lot of opportunities for cons.

The biggest thing I look for is the con audience and theme. Is cosplaying a big thing at this con? Yes? If so then I will go.

Every year I attend Anime Expo, Anime Los Angeles, PMX, Wonder Con, and Comikaze. My biggest cons are AX and ALA. I book hotel rooms for only those 2 cons.

This year ALA moved from the Marriott in LAX to the Convention Center in Ontario which is my hometown hahaha
The drive was only 5 minutes. But since this con is such a con-goer friendly con, I booked a hotel room right across the street. ALA gives out free ice-cream, free food at the con-suit, speed dating, a formal ball/dance. so many things for free for the attendees. It's one of the most friendliest cons I have ever gone to and continue to attend. I say give it another 5 to 10 years and it will be as big as AX.

But to cut it short, this is what I look for in a con to attend and actually buy a badge:
-nice hotels in the area
-lots of attendees. at least 10k+
-cosplay is a big thing at this con
-there will be anime related panels
-the staff is friendly and cares about their attendees
-lots of opportunities for social events and games (dances, scavenger hunts, contests, con-suit lunch, etc)
-the restaurants around the area (i book miyako inn in little tokyo, far away from AX con center but the food is worth itttt)

special guests and concerts dont really influence my decision to go or not. i am more of a social guy who looks for opportunities to hang out with my friends  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:56 am
I love socializing and cosplay, and I find that they go hand-in-hand. Cons that understand this and encourage it are ones that draw my attention. Even conventions where others complain 'there's not much happening' are still fun for me, since I've usually found a new friend or two. Anime Iowa is very conducive to meeting new people, walking around the hotel grounds, and there's even an elegant library where you can chat or do an old-timey themed photoshoot. Anime Central is huge, but I find you can do the same there, if you can manage to grab someone's attention for longer than a few minutes. Lots to do and see there.

The nifty thing is that cosplay helps advertise your interests! I limit myself to cosplaying series I know and love, but most of the time even if the person is not a big fan, they have a friend who is!! It's a great tool for fandom-inspired socializing.

Llarian

Valiant Leaf

Convention Experiences & Running Panels/Conventions Info

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces