Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gamer Girls Guild [[G3]]

Back to Guilds

Here we girls and boys as a family, We game. 

Tags: Girls, Video Games, xbox, playstation, Nintendo 

Reply General Chat etc..
I work at gamestop Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Flaresu

Tipsy Trickster

13,550 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:27 am
xXBeautifully-CorrodedXx
Hey there! I'm jumping in on this. My friend told me she was going to apply for Gamestop.

While in line for the interview process, she said that there was a (pretty) girl behind her that you could tell didn't care about games whatsoever and one in front of her (who wasn't ugly but wasn't pretty so she says) that knew SO much about games and the equipment.

The girl behind her eventually told her she hates games and she is only there for money. My friend said she knew nothing about games at all or about the equipment.

My friend got fed up because something had happened and she said good luck to the girl in front of her because she ended up not liking the 'snob' so she called her, behind her, and ended up leaving the interview line.

She said the next time she walked in that she saw the 'snob' working there and said that they clearly only hired her because of her looks...Which...if that really happened...that's pretty janky.. o.o

I'm going to be completely honest. SOME gamestops are like that. The gamestop two towns over from the one I work at is EXACTLY LIKE THAT. And its disgusting. I work at 2 gamestops, I'm not that pretty but I am well knowledgeable about video games.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:39 am
That sucks! When stuff like that happens it makes me feel less confident about getting the job.. D:

I don't know how much I know about a game system honestly...I do wish someone set up a thread or guild that talked all about game systems or games and what you need to know about that... xD I'd read that...or even a magazine that I would subscribe too....

IDEA PEOPLE!? O.O!!! :O !!!!  

xXBeautifully-CorrodedXx

Sylamb

Devoted Hunter

4,225 Points
  • Streaker 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Statustician 100
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:18 pm
Flaresu
Does anyone else here work at gamestop?
If so tell me your experiences. I'd really like to know
Working at gamestop isn't all its cracked up to be...

I used to work at Gamestop in NYC. I had a lot of fun there, but I didn't make it my full time job. I only worked once or twice a week or when my manager needed me. Its more of a hobby job. If you work full time or take up management- Its not fun. My poor manager runs herself into the ground. She used to be relieved whenever I worked because I met sales, kept the store clean, etc.

All my friends wanted to work there and I said "********, no. I'm not referring you. Its all about sales. Its not about standing around talking about games all day. Its helping ignorant parents grab the equipment they need, upsell/pre-order and telling parents not to buy their ten year olds South Park or GTA."

^ Ten year old brats screaming in the store because Mommy won't let them play a game where you're battling int he middle of your 'parents' having sex and you have to dodge a nutsack. Lemme tell you...

I tried to work at EB Games in Australia. Lol. They didn't want me.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:24 pm
xXBeautifully-CorrodedXx

She said the next time she walked in that she saw the 'snob' working there and said that they clearly only hired her because of her looks...Which...if that really happened...that's pretty janky.. o.o

That's a pretty ignorant thing for her to assume... They do hire people that have no knowledge about games. Its a retail store driven by sales. If she has the ability to talk to people and sell them something she knows nothing about, they will give her the job. If you don't meet sales goals at Gamestop, you will get replaced and your schedule will get cut. So, if she originally got hired for her 'looks' she'd eventually get canned systematically.  

Sylamb

Devoted Hunter

4,225 Points
  • Streaker 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Statustician 100

xXBeautifully-CorrodedXx

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:15 pm
Sylamb
xXBeautifully-CorrodedXx

That's a pretty ignorant thing for her to assume... They do hire people that have no knowledge about games. Its a retail store driven by sales. If she has the ability to talk to people and sell them something she knows nothing about, they will give her the job. If you don't meet sales goals at Gamestop, you will get replaced and your schedule will get cut. So, if she originally got hired for her 'looks' she'd eventually get canned systematically.

but then there is the question of why the other girl didn't get picked if she knew much more about games versus the ones with looks?-- if we also assume that the plain jane had the ability to talk to customers just as much as the girl with looks--?  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:58 pm
xXBeautifully-CorrodedXx
but then there is the question of why the other girl didn't get picked if she knew much more about games versus the ones with looks?-- if we also assume that the plain jane had the ability to talk to customers just as much as the girl with looks--?

When they do the interview process, they hardly ask you about video games. If you interview and answer the questions based on a sales perspective instead of a "gamer" reaction, then you'll get picked over someone else. All about persuasion.

Example:

Customer: "I'd like to pre-order Titanfall."
Candidate 1: "I heard you're going to be able to call your titan down from the sky like you're throwing a pokeball and summoning it. Plus the free-running footage looks sweet!"
Customer: "Right!? Its going to be dope."
Candidate 1: "Definitely. I pre-ordered it too."

Candidate 2: "Want to do the season pass with that? You'll get all the upcoming content for the game at a cheaper price. Instead of $40 for all the DLC, you'll only be paying $25, plus you'll get the DLC a week earlier than everyone else."
Customer: "Heck yeah! Add it on."
Candidate 2: "Great! There's a code at the bottom of your receipt for the season pass."

For me, I'm pretty set on the games I play on a daily basis; League, Tomb Raider, GW2 and Skyrim. I don't know the next Call of Duty, I couldn't tell you how many Final Fantasies there are. I hear about those things and I say "******** that noise." The reason why my manager hired me was because I could sell and flash a pretty smile. The retail world is really ******** cruel. They'll hire someone who doesn't give a s**t about the product as long as they can sell it. Plus, if you look more professional and clean cut aka "pretty" you're more likely to get the job.

Just look at restaurants. Those who can sell and aren't hard on the eyes are put out front, serving your food. Earning tips and boosting sales. Those who lack charisma and aren't really clean cut get thrown in the kitchen being pressured to make ticket times and not ******** up on the food because that'll lose the diner money. That's the capitalistic world we live in.

#America #WhatIsLife #LongReply

Sylamb

Devoted Hunter

4,225 Points
  • Streaker 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Statustician 100

xXBeautifully-CorrodedXx

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:33 pm
Sylamb
xXBeautifully-CorrodedXx

When they do the interview process, they hardly ask you about video games. If you interview and answer the questions based on a sales perspective instead of a "gamer" reaction, then you'll get picked over someone else. All about persuasion.

Example:

Candidate 1: "I heard you're going to be able to call your titan down from the sky like you're throwing a pokeball and summoning it. Plus the free-running footage looks sweet!"
Customer: "Right!? Its going to be dope."
Candidate 1: "Definitely. I pre-ordered it too."

Candidate 2: "Want to do the season pass with that? You'll get all the upcoming content for the game at a cheaper price. Instead of $40 for all the DLC, you'll only be paying $25, plus you'll get the DLC a week earlier than everyone else."
Customer: "Heck yeah! Add it on."
Candidate 2: "Great! There's a code at the bottom of your receipt for the season pass."

For me, I'm pretty set on the games I play on a daily basis; League, Tomb Raider, GW2 and Skyrim. I don't know the next Call of Duty, I couldn't tell you how many Final Fantasies there are. I hear about those things and I say "******** that noise." The reason why my manager hired me was because I could sell and flash a pretty smile. The retail world is really ******** cruel. They'll hire someone who doesn't give a s**t about the product as long as they can sell it. Plus, if you look more professional and clean cut aka "pretty" you're more likely to get the job.

Just look at restaurants. Those who can sell and aren't hard on the eyes are put out front, serving your food. Earning tips and boosting sales. Those who lack charisma and aren't really clean cut get thrown in the kitchen being pressured to make ticket times and not ******** up on the food because that'll lose the diner money. That's the capitalistic world we live in.

#America #WhatIsLife #LongReply

Okay, I can see what you mean. The long reply was okay and possibly necessary.. xD (Y)  
General Chat etc..

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff