User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Jing Xue knew that Di Zhenhan was friendly with Huo Wuya. So she decided to hunt him out and see if she could get a bit of information about him. Her first meeting with her crush had been awkward, but she was hoping that it would develop into something. She didn't feel desperate to get married...but something inside of her felt satisfied when considering a marriage to him. She was hoping that something could develop and become finalized before anything interrupted her dreams.

Silly dreams...she was only a huntress, but still, nothing wrong with marrying a soldier, right?

"Zhenhan?" she called out, knowing that the scout had to be around. He was a large lion, always patroling alone. Sometimes she felt sorry for him, with his gruff tone and cold stare, he rarely got visitors. It didn't see to bother him, so she tried to not highlight it whenever she ran into him.

"Yes?" he replied, sounding tired. It had been a long shift, and he had tried to help adjust the migration of some ibex. The blasted things were so stubborn, but he didn't want them going too far down the ravine and finding themselves stranded. Chasing around a dozen of them had been a lot of work, but hopefully they would double in size over the next six months and keep the hunters busy. He was once again grateful that he didn't have to catch the blasted things, and couldn't believe how ridiculous Rumi could be wanting to hunt the most difficult beasts out in the northern lands.

"Do you have a moment?" the huntress asked quietly. She was surprised to hear how tired his voice was, and wondered if he was ok. She quickly spotted him, and trotted over. He was laying under a tree, raising his head up to greet her.

"Plenty. I am not taking a new shift for a bit." His blue eyes watched her carefully, knowing that she was always a social creature, but it was unusualy for her to look for him. She normally just talked to whomever she crossed paths with, and sometimes made plans to see them later. She never made plans with him, and would bring him food when he was searching for it.

"Its about Huo Wuya, isn't it?" he asked, his face quite still.

Jing Xue's eyes widened, but she did her best to not looked too shocked. She failed. "Y-yes....how did you know?" She grew quiet for a moment, her forepaws twitching. "Well...is it that obvious?"

The green lion shook his head. "Not too much, but I exchange words with him often enough. He was a little taken aback with your last meeting, and asked for advice." Di didn't understand why someone would come to him for advice, but he did the best he could.

"No...crap!" Jing Xue was mortified. How many people knew? "Did...I don't know if I even want to know how that went," she asked, looking defeated.

She was rather pretty, though Di didn't understand why he didn't have an attraction for her. Many of the males would comment on how pretty she was, and with how friendly she was to everyone it made sense how so many knew of her. Huo Wuya was older than many of the middle class lions, and perhaps that is what gave him a leg up with Jing Xue.

"No, it went fine," Di laughed. "I think he just wanted to make sure he wasn't overstepping any bounds, being newer to the pride than I, even if he is older."

Jing Xue blinked a few times, uncertain if she was placing too much faith in what Di was saying. "So I'm not doomed, at least."

"No. Really, you need to just...go for it. Ask to spend more time with him when he's off training. I'm certain it'll go fine." The thing that this pride really needed was more marriages, and the type that produced. He wasn't going to say that right now, but he knew that some of the higher ups were thinking it. The house suffered from now having enough youngsters around to train and keep the house numbers stable.

The lioness sighed. "I guess. I've never tried to do anything like this before. Being nice to everyone comes easy enough, but actually focusing on someone seems...scarier."

Di shrugged his shoulders, his mane shifting along with the movement. "I cannot give any advice in that regard, but you talk to everyone else easily enough. Don't think, just be yourself. I think you already broke the ice with your awkward first meeting."

"Ugh don't remind me!" She buried her face in her paws, wishing that she could take that day back. Yes, maybe it made it easier to talk to him, but he was always going to remember her stalking him! Terrible.

"Really, Jing Xue. Why are you even asking me? I know you're more friendly with the other lionesses than you are with me."

Her stomach twisted at that. "I...." That kind of hurt, but perhaps this was a bit too forward and informal. Even if they were of the same class, it still felt like the soldier ranks were higher than her own. "I'm sorry. You've spoken with him often enough that I figured you would have a more trustworthy opinion than some of my friends. I swear, they're either intent on being alone forever or see true love in everything that breathes!"

Di shrugged to that. "Well, I suppose. You've heard my words, so off with you. Let me rest, and go harass that old man you seem to enjoy so much."

Jing Xue flushed at that phrase, but nodded towards him before she left. He did seem rather tired, but she was going to find him something to eat before she spoke to Huo Wuya again. He was hunger, no doubt.

As she left, Di wondered about himself again. Would he always enjoy this way of life? Living alone had its merits, but once in a while he did feel a pang of loneliness. If he really wanted to change, what was it going to take to get him to take that first step?

(1,031 words)