After everything that happened with the last stranger that visited these lands, Leta was not exactly excited to be out near the borders again. He had been avoiding the area, sticking to the middle of the pride so his chances of running into someone he did not know were absolutely diminished. Though he had not even been hurt in that strange encounter, he had been shaken to his core, and he was not interested in letting that happen again. All he wanted was to relax and pretend that life was normal. Except things that Viking said to him continued to resonated, particularly at night, when he had nothing else to focus on but his thoughts.

He needed to be stronger, to protect his home. To be a real lion. It was a strange thought, but some how, Leta felt a lot of shame from his cowardice, despite it falling right in line with the lion he had become. He was not a warrior. It was not his job to be strong and defend anything.

Sitting near the edge of the pride, the same side where he had run into Ulfric, Leta was not sure what he was hoping might happen. The last thing he wanted was that lion to come back, after all. He did see movement, not too far away from him, and he stood, tensing and digging his claws into the earth beneath him. The lion approaching, though, was moving at an unhurried and almost lazy pace, and was too small, even from this distance, to be the same one. Leta sat back down but did not take his eyes off the stranger, swallowing hard.

“Hello, there!” The black lion said as he approached, spotting Leta and smiling brightly. Already he was friendlier than Ulfric had been, but there was something about him that was strange. Insincere, maybe. This was a lion who was used to saying and doing what he had to in order to get his way. But what he meant, what the truth of his own character was, remained a mystery to most. That was how Tucci liked it.

“Hello. You’re in the Suka’fumo lands. Did you know that?”

“I did not, but you must be psychic, answering my question before I asked it! I really appreciate it. Hey, is it okay for me to be here? I’ll leave if it’s not, I’m not looking for trouble!”

“No, no trouble. You’re welcome here if you’re friendly, though we’ve had some… strange… visitors recently. My name is Leta, I’m an attendant to the King.” He puffed his chest out a bit at that admission, as he was wont to do. He could not mention his rank without feeling a burst of pride, and he grinned almost ear to ear because of it. Tucci arched an eyebrow, did not look immediately impressed, then offered a smooth smile and a nod of his head.

“Well, congratulations. My name is Tucci, and I’m nothing to no one, so far. Which is alright. I don’t plan on staying here long, just passing through, you know how it is.”

Leta did not. He had never left his home before. He had no reason to wander around for the sake of it, when his home was so welcoming and he loved it so much. He had been thinking about that a lot recently, actually, and he was surprised by that. That stranger left more marks on him than the bruises from the small scuffle they had. Tucci smiled and looked a little anxious, not sure what was going on in Leta’s head. The face the other lion was making was very strange, and distant. It was clear that Leta was not really here in this moment.

“Are you okay? Am I intruding on… something?”

“No, no. I just. It’s alright. I was just thinking about something else. So, where are you heading to, if not here?”

“I’m not too sure, really. I am looking for something. Something amazing! I want to find something that will be useful and interesting for all lions, maybe something that will help us all. I just don’t know what that is just yet. I mean, if I keep searching, I’m hoping that I’ll get there soon. I have so much drive and ambition! But no… way to put it out into the world, you know? Not yet, anyway.”

Leta stared at him blankly, confused by his words. But he supposed everyone had to have their own goals, and that was his. Tucci wanted to… do something big, by the sounds of it, while Leta was just fine sticking to his little life and playing his role as the King’s attendant. He had been given far too much to think about recently, it was starting to hurt his head.

“Hey, well. Since you’re here, do you want to stay and have some food with me?” Leta asked, needing the chance to relax. Maybe talking to someone from out in the rogue lands about his life, and the weird things he encountered out there, would help Leta calm down and not feel so thoroughly overwhelmed. Anyway, having a new friend would be good for him, too. He smiled at the other thoughtfully, looking rather timid.

Tucci arched an eyebrow.

“What are you, asking me on a date? Don’t look so nervous! Come on, come on, let’s go get some food and chat for a bit, eh? I could do with a good rest and you look like you could relax for a spell, too, eh?”

“Yeah, most definitely.”

Leta smiled and sighed, relaxing a bit. This lion, at least, was friendly, if not a little sarcastic and maybe rude? He was not sure yet, but it was a hell of a lot better than the aggressive nature the Viking had showed him. Of course, anything was better than getting threatened bodily. He motioned with his head and Tucci followed his lead as the two retreated into the pride. Leta would show him where they could hunt, and the two had plenty of time to catch something and unwind with it for a while.

Word Count: 1,024 in Word