Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Tei Kae
Captain

Distinct Genius

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:41 am
James eyes sharpened as he looked at Skylar, and his fang bit at the corner of his lip as if to bite back a sharp retort of, 'If I knew, would I be asking you', but he managed if only barely. The girl was a frustration, and he knew Skylar is right. It had to be more than 'because she was told to.' He glanced at the door, why wasn't Yvaine back yet so he could leave this uncomfortable discussion.

"I'm not sure. She's not bound by Oath to do whatever the tiny queen or the prince says. Yet she submits, but her soul is defiant. I'd pity her under normal circumstances for not showing her soul and maybe that is part of the problem. She refuses to see either the beauty of defiance or the sublime nature of submission and instead, she hovers somewhere between the two, neither happy nor unhappy. But not whole. I see now that your mother has outplayed me...and yet it doesn't matter."

"I think some restraint may be in order for the coming time."  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:31 pm
"Rebellion?" Skylar paused, looking up. "That is new. I wonder, should I be displeased, or thank you," he considered a moment, thoughtful before lowering his head and returning to quickly paging through the books.

He frowned as James continued- he knew very little about the situation, but none of this sounded right. Given the players, he doubted the point of his mother's game here was to 'win'. Always tests. Kicking the chicks from the nest, lest they never learn to fly.

He didn't care to see James fall. Nor, if he could help it, would he allow Yvain to be dragged down.

"She cannot know what she wants, if she does not know who she is, nor whom she serves." he book marked another page, and then removed a small piece of paper from his pocket, returning to the back of the book and then quickly paging around, making quick notes- short handing page numbers and cross reference titles. "You have a determined, loyal girl who has suddenly lost everything, including purpose, and seen her world change violently. So you must know these things twice as well, and show her."

A door to the main room opened quietly, and the subject of their conversation stepped in quietly, closing it behind her and slipping down onto her knees upon re-entering in automatic motions, holding a basket as she shuffled into the room as best she could. "Master, I've brought-" she began, looking up to see the two of them. Concern and question crossed her face, quickly followed by her expression lighting up- something not unlike excitement or hope. Skylar glanced up at the girl, looking her over for just a moment before he turned his cold expression back to the book, making notes of references both within the volume, and some from an outside source- small notes and comparisons to observations on the late Riverspeaker to accompany the notes within the book. Yvain stared at the two for a moment and then steeled her expression to something more pleasantly neutral, looking away from the man ignoring her to James. "Shall I fetch refreshment, Master?" She asked as she moved to stow the contents of the basket where they could be of use

He finished taking the notes, stared at them thoughtfully until Yvain had moved out of sight, and then folded the piece of paper and held it out to James, making direct, lasting eye contact finally.

"That's my advice. Show her who you are, and what you stand for. If you're lucky, that may be all the reason she needs." He said quietly.  

Psychofish

Dedicated Loiterer

Tei Kae
Captain

Distinct Genius

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:38 am
"If only it were that simple," James mussed, reaching up to run fingers through the hair that fell into his face, slicking it back to a more controlled presentation. That was part of the problem. Presentation. He was just as well trained in courtly arts as his cousin brother but he was more subtle in some ways. Skylar was a rapier, zipping past defenses, whereas James had learned overtime, how to be the poison that built up over time in a glass of wine to kill one day while he was a league away and had been forgotten about. Not that he had killed many, other than a few who were a threat to his family, but it was a good analogy for him. The question was, how to show the girl how he stood and for what.

It's not like she understood that he wasn't using incubus magic on her, except for the actual training. He refused to rape and that was a firm line he would not cross. If she had said no....

The though of that no jabbed him deep in his chest and there was a small gasp of air as he watched Yvaine crawl into the room, basket at the ready. "Yes, Thank you, Pet." He watched Skylar's reaction and was saddened. He knew why the princeling was acting so cold to his childhood friend. He patted her head, and nodded towards the bedside where Serafina still slept, and he couldn't resist a small tweak to see how she'd react.

"I'd say the same to you as well. But yes, I think you are right. That is probably the best way to seek her heart." Speaking in generalities, so Yvaine would wonder who the 'she' was. "Beautiful, intelligent, headstrong, passionate. Could a man ask for anything more." Speaking both to Yvaine and Skylar as he took the paper and slipped it into his pocket to read later. "Pet, also see about grabbing some sage leaves and a meal for Serafina. She'll be up soon and ravenous like the Ahj'Kratuel itself."  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:55 pm
Tei Kae
"If only it were that simple," James mussed.
Skylar gave him a look of sympathy- not soft, or pitying- but understanding just how frustrating the prospect might be.

Droll, really, to see the two of them suddenly in such a situation at once.

But it was better not to draw any more attention to the matters- they seemed to understand where they stood, and both were in a habit of playing their hands close to their chest. The fact that they recognized it, and that he had a sense he could not fully trust James yet... likely a mutual settlement. But the important work was done. He'd checked on each of the girls, and he was certain now that while James might not have any mind of his interests, the circumstances made them allies.

"..actually, I am having food sent to my room. If I return presently, perhaps I can beat it back and avoid further meddlesome attention to my health."

Skylar prepared to leave, double checking the marks he'd made for his own benefit before neatly stacking the books he'd removed from the shelf. As he turned to go, he paused at the man's parting words, wearing his flat, impassive stare. Yet at the end, he cracked a smile- if ever so slightly- and nodded his head. The girl paused in her task as well, glancing over to look at them- her expression guarded, but nothing on the Prince's practicely indifference. A hint of a frown in her eyes, both curious and slightly hurt- traces that likely were close to broadcast with the aid of a supernatural empathy, even if he might understand the complexities and active thoughts even less than she did. She returned to putting up the ingredients and materials she'd brought even as Skylar left-

Tei Kae
"Pet, also see about grabbing some sage leaves and a meal for Serafina. She'll be up soon and ravenous like the Ahj'Kratuel itself."

Cut suddenly with a surprised peal of laughter and a clatter- the girl grasping a hand to her mouth, emberassment mixing with mirth as she quickly grabbed up the jar that had slipped from her hand, replacing it. Skylar glanced back, then stepped beyond the threshold and gave a final bow of the shoulders in farewell as the door closed behind him. On her knees, the girl fought with thoughts of a good natured retort or response, before settling simply for "Yes, master," the hint of laughter still in her voice.  

Psychofish

Dedicated Loiterer

Lamplight Memories

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 19 20 21 22

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas