Welcome to Gaia! ::

Lamplight Memories

Back to Guilds

A storage and RP Guild for creating backstory 

Reply Lamplight Memories
Skylar and Serafina Reduex Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Tei Kae
Captain

Distinct Genius

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:40 pm
It wasn't long before the repercussions of her action came back to haunt Avalon.

The girl was passed out on a bed covered in magical energy while the half incubus watched over her with worried eyes, fingers running through and messing up his auburn hair into a mangle that was somehow strangely attractive no matter what he did or how bothered he was by the girl before him.

"You're insane, petit...I'm not sure how the world will survive you, nor you it..." His heart, what little of one he believed himself to have ached to look at her, this young girl who did what she believed was right, damn the politics. But at least at the moment, she was under the protection of the current prince of the isle of apples. For how long that protection remained had yet to be seen, after all, he had been the target of her scene. As Yvain moved into the room, the walls, floor and building itself seemed to shake as if it would fall down around their ears.

"ooohooohhhhhhhh!"

The sounded echoed through the halls, paths, and wilds of Avalon, calling to the more primitive sides of those not strong enough to hear the call. James looked up and then back to the girl before him. "What have you done, petit..." No one would be able to miss that sound or how it sounded like the sacred horn last sounded at the battle of Jericho before the walls fell, and indeed the walls seemed to shake from the force of the sound.

"Come here, pet!..." He spoke sharply, and commanding although he would let her scurry to him, whatever way she would, but he would be more proud of her if she maintained her subdued and subservient posture. Unseen over her head, a small shield was maintained to prevent her from damage if something was knocked loose. Once he had her in his grasp, he let a sigh of relief out, he could protect them both more easily together than apart.

A push of will and he reinforced the walls surrounding them, he hugged her tightly to his chest, the earlier events and just now shaking him to the core. "What of Skylar..." and listened to her words, but not explaining the strange noise just yet. After all, he would explain in his own time and if he had felt it was a danger to her, he would have informed her, but he wanted his report.

"Oh?" He looked at the piece with his free hand and looked down again at the girl before them. His palm wrapped around the stone and lashed fluttered closed, his hand pressing her to his chest where she could feel the flutter of his heart, steady but rapid. "Smart man. He might survive yet." Beyond the shield, the walls rattled again, but the sound seemed muffled now, distant and strange. He lifted Yvain's head and drank deeply of her lips, his fingers dragging through her hair painfully, pushing all of his anxiety down into the deepest well he knew, that of desire, pleasure and power even as he pulled her to the ground with him, the rough stones grinding against her flesh until his mind cleared while the walls shook around them, uncaring of her pleasure or the uncertainty and emotions surely swirling around in her own mind or of the unconscious girl slumbering in the room who might wake at any moment.

~~~~

Sated, he leaned back against the bed, his hand idly stroking Yvain's hair and body as he looked up at the jewelry that Skylar had given Serafina and which James had dragged along Yvain's skin in ways pleasant and unpleasant until he was satisfied that he understood its nature. She would have plenty of tenderness and light bruises but nothing that could not be healed if he willed it or allowed her to.

Outside, the earth quaked beneath them. Several steps were muffled in the hallway as well but James remained unconcerned with any of the commotion. "Tell me, pet....What do you think of the girl? Be honest. I will know."  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:31 am
Yvain paused, looking up at the ceiling and walls around them with concern as they rumbled with the rebounding sound. This wasn't anything she recognized of Avalon, distracted from following too closely what James said to the sleeping girl- but when he spoke to her, Yvain's eyes snapped forward and she crawled to him as quickly as the position allowed. Though she grew more concerned as she did, it didn't show on her visibly, at least, except in her haste. Odd as it was, for it to be causing concern of a castle currently the focus of so much story in Avalon was terribly unusual- things here lived half on ideas, dreams, beliefs. To have it being shaken was far from normal, but as she closed her eyes a moment she confirmed it was not the Ahj'Kratuel.

She tried not to think on that too much more- she still was trying to get used to the idea that she tended and contained it now, even if James seemed able to assist her somewhat. If she had lost her connection somehow without her father, the experienced Seaspeaker, to handle it, or one of it's counterparts had stirred... it would be terribly dangerous, and she would be far from able to do anything.

So there wasn't much of anything to do.

She looked to James carefully, trying to set her mind to turn to him, briefly as she'd known him, with the same faith and trust she'd have looked at Andell or Sullis previously. He was, after all, of the blood of the Lady. She stilled her mind, taking a deep breath and enjoying the physical presence, getting everything in order again so she could give her report- even if, in all honesty, her curiosity and little surge of pride in the apparent promotion of title for her gave her as much trouble as anything else in the moment. This was the sort of encompassing, unknown fear she'd been trained to stand calm before, things well beyond one's power and large enough to stir animal instinct to flight just by their presence. That hadn't been what she'd felt of the Deep One so far, but her father had told her it very much exude such a sheer presence.

She delivered her report with almost no difficulty or stumbling, only to pause curiously at the end. He was behaving... not disconcertingly at all, really, except that everything about his manner since they'd arrived had seemed slightly out of character. She tried not to think about that- and soon enough, found her chin raised, and he made that very easy.

She leaned back against him, lashes fluttering as she regained her mind and composure, moving slowly, experimentally as she tested aching limbs and sore spots, finding a way to sit against James and still be able to reach to reach him with her hands. He might very well of needed none of it, but as she was growing more comfortable around him, she should start to behave in a fashion more worthy of herself- he might have skipped any of the foreplay or games of lead up, as was his right she supposed, but giving her the chance he might have still enjoyed some tending to. She worked muscles gently in her hands, massaging lightly and brushing nails lightly over where she could reach, and might have been sore at all.

As for the girl, well- Yvain might have been entirely undressed now, clothes in shambles and strewn about in a fashion she'd normally have expected to perturb one of James' profession, but if she'd slept through everything else now was no time to worry of her stirring. As it was, Skylar repairing her to a non-critical state was probably little shy of a miracle.

"Of her?" Yvain's eyes stopped tracing the ceiling and walls for a moment, turning to him, the trained still and calm she'd portrayed before the seeming danger giving way to a searching look, as if she was sure there was more to this and trying to find the meaning or test in his words, and slight perturbation. James had been speaking to the unconscious girl, or to himself about her- and she was not entirely dense. He knew her, or she had some meaning to him.

First Skylar, and now him. She didn't understand their fascination. But, she suppressed the urge to sigh, and just thought carefully on her response instead.

"...she's dangerous. Reckless, impatient... and evidently of great importance. I rather didn't care for her when we first met, but now... I think I may have been petty. And..." She shifted her gaze carefully, meeting his eyes, if he'd return the look, and thought carefully about how to phrase the rest. Envy wasn't quite the right word, nor was it fitting for one in her position. She lowered her eyes, moving about as she thought again, then carefully raised them to his, looking a bit unsure. "I'm... not sure how to express the rest. If I may, master, I... would like to ask what your interest in her is. It seems more than... politics and practicality." She ignored the rumbling, but every so often her eyes flicked to the entry at the sound of paying feet, though she did not stir. She flushed in frustration, struggling to keep from averting her eyes once more until she made herself push the rest out. She managed to not quite pout over it, fighting with both how feeling she was somehow lesser than the other woman (worse for the fact of how they'd met at odds, without Serafina impressing any of the traits that Yvain had been taught were to be esteemed or valued) and the frustration and anger at James and Skyler- that in particular was not appropriate to express, or feel, in her role. But lying to him, in private, was certainly not acceptable either.

"...jealousy is not the right term. But it- it bothers me." She pushed it out low in frustration, hoping that simply the craving attention or appreciation in her position was going to be considered acceptable- certainly she wouldn't be wanted, or permitted, to be more like that woman, despite that they all seemed to indicate that it would be better to be like her.

Yvain wasn't certain she could do that if she'd tried, though.  

Psychofish

Dedicated Loiterer

Tei Kae
Captain

Distinct Genius

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:02 pm
His thumb brushed along her jaw as he absorbed her words, only the occasional flicker to the window on the opposite side of the room giving any sign of worry. Stormy gray eyes narrowed at another rumble, but she held most of his attention with her words and touch.

"Dangerous, yes. Impatient, not in the way you mean but she is unlike most mortals in that she is fighting her way against her destiny and finding it all the more tightly wrapped around her. Her very existence is an anomaly. She can only exist when the very fabric of reality between worlds is threatened, and yet, she is a very silly, immature girl who cares more about people than they will ever realize about her. If she were to die, a small handful would mourn both what she could be and do as well as who she is and was." His lips pursed into a frown before lowering them to Yvain's brow.

"She is a friend who I have known since she was a child. I even babysat her a few times when our mothers wanted to have a girl's night out." He chuckled as he realized he hadn't really explained much of anything. Fingers swept through tousled auburn locks before lowering to tap against his lips in thought.

"You know the Zöe loves a story. Zöe is also creation itself. But destruction breeds creation, while stagnation breeds contempt. Even the Zöe knows at its core that everything must be washed anew." Lips parted, his tongue darting out to lick his finger before sliding it down his body to her face, trailing the fingers along her face, the small trail of water swirling intimately both hot and cold, designed to set off nerves in tandem until the body was not sure what response was needed.

"There are five elements. This much you know," he teased her lips with his fingers, dipping it between to see what she would do. "Each has a counterpart. Except for Spirit, Soul...Essence, whatever you name it. She loved each of them deeply but they struggled with one another. She had nothing but endless love, but each of them wanted more of her than another would have. They took from her what she would have freely given. Diminishing her by an act of rape so violent that the cosmos shook with the ferocity until she was but a shell of her former self. Dying, she went to each of her siblings to ask for succor, for reprieve for the pain they had given her, trusting in her innocence that they did not know what they did. That their true essences was as pure as her own. "

The story was going off on a tangent, but James did not look distracted as he spoke, his gray eyes boring into Yvain's own swimmingly blue ones. He had a point, and despite the furor going on outside this room, he was taking his sweet time with it. "Each of them was jealous, for even now, after everything they had done to her, her diminished self was brighter than any of their stolen essences, tiny though it seemed."

"Fire raged, threatening to burn her essence into oblivion if she should attempt succor with any of their siblings. Air stole the very air from her breathe in attempts to steal what remained of her, Water overwhelmed her, threatening her very memory to disappear beneath her waves. Even gentle Earth raised itself against her, piercing her tender flesh with jagged rocks of glass burrowing into her feet and twisted vines digging into her flesh as she made her way to the center of the earth. With her dying breath, she removed the heart from her breast and placed it there, breathing with her most pure essence as well as a curse upon those lips that would soon speak no more."
He was an excellent storyteller, teasing her body even while speaking with such inflection as to stir frustration with the mixed signals he gave to her.

"For each of you have turned upon me, so will your creations turn upon you. As you have turned each upon the other, so in time will you find them your only refuge. As you fade, you shall remember the oblivion you offered to me, and desire it, for the rage that will come upon you will be as no other, scorching all as salt upon the earth until each of your children mend your anger. My children shall be numerous on the earth, their very hearts beating with my essence that you stole from me. But they are still mine. I shall give you many chances to make amends, for you are my brethren and I love you still, but you will not see your doom until it is past for your hatred and ambition bind you. Only when the tinder is lit and your are upon your knees, song swelling within your breast of regret for your actions, only then will a pure soul forgive you." He sighed, wishing this part of the story did not exist.

"But more often than not, you will destroy this soul before the cleansing." His fingers brushed over her jaw before lifting and briefly clutching Serafina's hand in the bed beside them. "I know the Veli's...the bloodline is right, if the prophecy is right. I just don't know if it's Serafina or her child..." The hand moved from the recently crispy girl flicking fingers as he counted. " She has divine blood, and demon's blood...The blood of Fire is in her bones, while the Rock of the Earth is her heritage. The Air is her boon companion and the water of her blood cools her heat. She is mortal and yet can not die."

Another frown. "I saw it once...she scorched an entire room because she was upset that her little brother had decided to take her bear. I protected her brother but the room was cinders...and I didn't think anyone, short of a god could survive that...her body was encased as those tombs of Pompeii..but a few moments later, it cracked and she fell out, naked and crying that she wanted her father...But I look at her, and see her age..."

His smile was bittersweet as he lifted her up so he could stand, wrapping his arms around her as he made her look down at the girl lying naked on the bed before them, his fingers continuing to swirl around her flesh, arousing her against her will once again with gentle and rough touches playing against her skin.

"And yet, if she fails, no one would notice as magic slowly fades from this world, a forgotten relic, myths and legends. And yet, she is but a tool..." He smiled, nipping over her shoulder and collar bone as the words slipped through her ears as if he continued to speak although he would have to be able to speak through her bones themselves as he touched her if he did. "Ultimately, it will be the Merlin who decides the worlds fate, as he always does. If he brings the worlds together and into harmony, or ruptures it apart. She can only show him the path."

"He has to ask for forgiveness, without condition. And she must accept, unconditionally..." He paused, letting that sink in, two of the most frustratingly stubborn people they knew, if James was right, had to open admit their deepest agonies and with purest intentions accept the other as proxy for beings of immense power to prevent the world from dissolving into true chaos. People who were polar opposites of one another, except for one defining trait, caring far too much for others than themselves.

"If not, then there are reasons beings like the Ahj'Kratuel exist. Consume would be too kind of a word for what would happen. The world would begin a new...but it would not be the same...nor would we be upon it. And again, the cycle would repeat. Two pure souls, both tarnished but unbroken, saddling the cosmos unending. "  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:19 pm
She watched him very carefully, nodding in slowly, thoughtfully as he laughed, played with his hair, diverted subjects suddenly, if tactfully. Signs of uncertainty- humanity. He'd played his role so well up until then that- likely also largely in part because of her own emotional turmoil and poor attention- she felt like she'd barely seen any of the human side to him, emotion and vulnerability. She gave him a gentle smile, full of warmth, and stopped one hand from slowly exploring and massaging his muscles to brush his face. It was endearing, to see the occasional crack in the impressive consistent dominance of James. Perhaps comforting to her nervousness as well, to be reminded of his humanity. Likely more than Sullis or Andell had, though they certainly had reasons for it, but she hadn't had time to fully understand and be able to anticipate him at all as her master yet- nor, honestly, to properly view him as she thought she should a master, not the almost-worshipful reverence she'd held the other two in.

Yvain did not know at all how to begin on changing that, but she made a note to herself of her failings in her new training, even as he began his story.

Despite which, she truly was trying to pay close attention- not that he was making it easy.

The fingers moved perhaps a half an inch along her cheek before the effects on even that thin trail of saliva set in, making her skin prickle. She fought to suppress a shiver. She made it until that temperature change met her lips, which parted with a sharp little breath in- and the tiniest stifled “mmm-“ as she wrapped them gently around his fingertips, closing her eyes. Sucking lightly, she re-wetted his fingers for him, tip of her tongue across them first before tracing the edges of his nails as he spoke.

Yvain was well aware that something was amiss, and that strange and violent things were going on outside the castle, even if she didn’t know anything about what in particular- but it was true, James was making a very fine distraction, keeping her from dwelling or worrying too much in the moment. She stirred restlessly, trying to remain still and a good listener as he had his fun of it- but something about the heart in the center of the earth made her give a tiny little gasp- she’d heard something very particular of the sort, mentioned more than once. The moment of lowering her guard was followed by a violent shiver she couldn’t manage to suppress, wriggling slight in place as if it might help before turning her eyes up to him again. It was those words, and the ending that turned it from just a story, an old myth to explain the way of the world and represent the manner of things in the balance of the elements on magic, into something very potentially real. She didn’t ask any questions, but she watched very carefully. In some ways, it reminded her of the sort of test she might have had with Sullis, or any other- something would be required of her, or there would be something that she should do to serve properly, but she’d be expected to be properly attentive and thinking in order to find it, rather than asked directly. There wasn’t too much more, as much as his pacing drew it out. Until…

Her child? Is she… or does he mean hypothetically? Surely not after the burning, however much a miracle it was Skylar worked today…

She slowly grew stiller and more somber, nodding seriously where appropriate as he continued. Standing as guided, skin still prickling responsively in its confusion at the play of hot and cold, soft and rough, she tried to lose herself in the touch and the timbre of his voice. It worked, a little. Mostly not as much until she felt his teeth, and the sound of his voice now practically in her- she couldn’t help herself but give a little gasp at that, hands, for lack of much other place to go cradled standing as a plaything, as she was now, pressing to the fronts of his thighs, nails lightly scraping skin as her fingers slowly curled. Staring at the girl wasn’t helping thoughts from nagging her mind- and that was her failure. So she closed her eyes, and tried to think about his story and the problems and plans that led from it, to keep her personal doubts and pangs out of it, brow slowly knotting during his long pause.

“That is… difficult. Surely few, or none, would be striving for such a cleansing… but such a prophesy could certainly not be forced, difficult maybe even to enable.” She opened her eyes, turning them up to him- somehow innocent, devoted, and intense all in one, perhaps only the faintest hint of worry- she had to believe him the master, the great player of the game as much as Andell or Sullis. It was her role to do so now, he had proven himself more than capable enough in any other comparison, and feeling beyond her depth to the situation there was little other hope. It made it easy to avail himself as his tool, if he required, much as she had always been before. Almost enough to dispel the many dozens of concerns and blows to her world in the past few days.

“If it needs even be said, I am yours in this, as in all things, if you desire, Master.”

Psychofish

Dedicated Loiterer

Tei Kae
Captain

Distinct Genius

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:05 pm
"Oh some always do..." he postulated reflectively, his hands moving towards more innocent and yet no less enticing of places with his fingers and hands. "This is one of the oldest stories, creation and destruction. Who shall win, both striving for dominance but a world in which neither can survive without the other." He sighed softly, his attention pulled away from her and towards the windows.

"There are those who think they are above it. That they are somehow good enough, powerful enough or special enough to be spared, not realizing the fully enormity of true oblivion. Humans toy with it on a daily basis. Those in touch with the Zoe have a hint more and some of the truly gone Fae yearn for it." The muffled blast echoed through the barrier in the room once more. "That is the Elder Elk. Taller than this building is high and one of the first creations set in place upon this earth." His lips flattened and his hand lifted to stroke her hair, letting them trace down her face.

"Good girl..." leaning forward to press his lips softly to hers, more gentle than almost any other time. "I do not know if we can even play a part, but one of the reasons The Lady suffers my existence is because I have gotten this far as I am and she knows there is a reason for it, even if it pulls at the fiber of her being to admit it."

"She has become human in too many ways herself." He smiled thinking of his grandmother who looked more like his older sister, not that his mother was any better. Would Gabi age the same? Would he? His aging had slowed down in the past few years, nothing like it had been. It was odd to think about and not really the place, and so he dragged his attention to the sturdy and yet delicate beauty before him.

The ice slid into her body, penetrating her very being and swelling as if it would freeze her from the inside out, filled to bursting before melting from the heat her body generating. "Repeat." his command was simple, she would be the tool he chose of her own demise.

(Fade to Black)

Leaving her limp on the floor, he pulled a blanket to cover her exhausted and now slumbering body. They had been in this room for hours while the rest of the world burned. He wanted, no needed to see what havoc had been wrought. The protections remained for both of the women inside, the only difference now was that the black had cracked around her left hand where he'd placed the stone Skylar had given her and as if she knew it came from him, her fingers had curled around it, clutching it for dear life and refusing to let it go. The blackened skin was new, forming despite the energy waters flowing over her, protecting her while she healed. He could only guess what would emerge. But neither the char nor the water seemed to be interfering with the other so for the moment, it was another layer of protection.

Down the hall, he could see the servants scurrying in a frightful panic, each one more blood soaked than the rest. Finally, he managed to stop one. "Is it the Queen?"

"Yes, and Prince Andell will skin me alive if I do not bring more water. 3 servants have already shed blood this night to keep her alive."Speaking of course, of the Prince's blood magic. His voice was fearful but also determined, the lord and lady were beloved as well as feared, it was not a bad combination for command. They were a unit. Had been since before time forgot. He didn't want to think of what Andell would become if Sullis died. Forced into his mind was the image of the black dragon, Adamus, his fits of anger shaking the earth itself and scorching Avalon to a barren field. It had come back, but would this take Avalon even farther away."Go then. Serve your Lord"

The servant fled, not from him but to a darker being whose existence was the cause of the current turmoil but to whom great loyalty was felt as it was assumed that it was he that had brought Avalon forward and not the birth of his heir so many years ago. He had done nothing when Adamus had died, fortifying his castle and lands beyond, offering succor to those who fled that day but for Avalon itself he had offered no Great Sacrifice, he had not spilled his blood and no man could rule Avalon if his blood were not spilled as the Great Mother spilled hers to birth the the land. His was to feed the land, hers to suffer. And yet nothing had he done.

His fingers tightened into fists, curling and flexing back and forth as a surge of emotion washed over him that he didn't understand, he'd never felt such anger at ANYONE. The Lady herself had told him he was incapable of it. And just as quickly as it came, it was gone followed by a surge of Fear, Sadness....and then suddenly Joy, flooding his being as he stood in the hallway as if simple, unable to comprehend. Then he heard it, the joyful shouting, the relief evident even then. The Prince's Lady yet lived. For now. It was another thing he suspected, but did not wish to give voice to; it would serve no purpose yet.

And then a roar so deafening as to be unbelievable, angered and desperate, trumpeting its despair. Why was his world so full of sounds this day, perhaps because his eyes had been blinded and this was the only way the world could communicate. He did not know this sound though, but it was angry, sorrowful and far from sad. This was dangerous, but his eyes darted in every direction and could not find the sound, it was far and near, below and above in a way that even the Elder Elk had not been so encompassing.

He walked on shaking legs towards the window and watched the sky explode in a expansion of light and colors all centering on the well...Where the body of Adamus lay, watched over by Jarelle...He looked again down the Hall where even now the Lady was likely slumbering after a protracted and yet uneventful labor and her husband...who knew what thoughts possessed the Prince this day, doubtful they were pleasant. This would not be welcome.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:33 pm
She watched him carefully, nodding, even as he went to the window. Butterflies alighted in her stomach, and her breath shook slightly as he spoke, but she stood still and well postured, trained as any most excellent of servant, or composed of nobility. She didn't know as much as he seemed to about the Elder Elk, or some other of the details of the legends that had faded from even telling so long ago. But she knew enough of other things to grasp some sense of what weight it must have carried. The world was a very big and scary place. Yvain, at least, was not lost- she had always had someone to provide direction. But it didn't mean that she wasn't aware that ultimately, none of them were perfect or all powerful, nor of how big the risks could be.

She almost eagerly turned the large blue eyes to him again when he returned his attention from the window. It wouldn't banish things from her mind, no, but somewhere else to place her focus was a blessing all the same.

But he moved so slowly, gently, somehow she felt her lips tingle as much as even when he kissed them to bruising- and the butterflies return, but lighter, warmer. James was speaking about himself again- and even behind his composure, he seemed to be openly showing vulnerability, uncertainty. Not too much. But just enough. Not entirely unlike Skylar, when he needed comfort, but was ever unable to admit weakness. Only James was the Master, and could have nearly enough been a stranger if the isolation and extremes hadn't forced her to start becoming attached to him so quickly- it was an assumption, imposition that was improper, and slightly frightening. Yet when she placed her finger tips gently to his chest, and spread her hands, she found it hard to move them- the one sitting gently over the pulse of his heart while she fought inwardly a bitter debate over one seemingly very small decision.

She slowly reached the other hand up toward his face, to cup the cheek. "J-"

And then the cold lanced through her and she gave a tiny shriek, bitten down into a whimper, shivering violently until she mastered herself, and looked back at him with big, deep blue eyes with just a hint of tears as it pushed her, discomfort and other strange sensations all fighting until finally it gave way, and yet not any more particularly comfortably began to thaw rapidly.

"Y-yes, Master."

Her eyes may have been pleading, but she bit her lip, and obeyed, stiffling sounds each way, until she lost the attention for that. It was hard. Exhausting. The spirits were panicked and she was far from any living body of water where she might have still gathered a few, so she was left to her own power- and that well deep inside, and below her that she had not yet mastered how to purposely pull from nor avoid, the deep dark power. Not that it made things easy all the same- she had hardly ever worked with ice. She could keep water frozen, or from freezing, but the act of making it solidify was another thing altogether, and not much better for going on inside her. Yet despite the numbing cold, her body felt so very hot- her nerves tingled. The energy slowly came in like the tide, swelling into her mind bit by bit, even with James draining it away, as she stubbornly worked at the task, hoping eventually to be relieved of it. Growing both faint and feeling like she flew high, as if she could pass out but burst with energy at once-

And her eyes opened wide as she froze it smoothly and evenly as he did for the first time, instead of in struggling fits. Not blue, but nearly white, even platinum, near featurless disks.

"AAAaahh~!"

The two would be well enough protected for the moment. Yvain had not so long ago held a position and name here that she'd had the rooms of her own (and easily enough, in such a place where more seemed to fit inside it than even the vast outside, and as much as Avalon could not allow labor or materials be eschewed, work that was needed 'for a tale' could seem to happen unnervingly quickly). And while there were a good many that her wardings would not keep out, there was plenty enough distraction that it was unlikely any one capable enough to undo the protections could be bothered to try to break in and take advantage of the unconscious women in any fashion. Once calm began to return, and with her now merely the pet of a man who, for all the remark of a half of his lineage, he might have been branded outcast for the other half. Instead, he was more a highly appreciated merchant or craftsman, an artist. Artists of vision and talent had never done poorly in Andell's court, but it would hardly be enough to protect him and the claim on those rooms alone if someone into politicking had a mind to remove them.

However strange and wonderful, or troubled, her dreams might be, it might have been safer than out where one was so nearly unprotected from the vibrant emotion coming from those running the halls, or from the cry of the dragon in the distance sinking into everything in the world.

Outside- the only presence that seemed to effuse it's emotion into the world even more than the powerful presence of the Prince in this unrestrained moment. Awakening, reminding the world once more that she was there, not gone in the light. Washing it all together in those overwhelming tides until it could nearly be tasted in the air, the joy and sorrow and anger all mixing to one. She sat bathed in light- mourning, but either still full of hope, or trust, or simply unable to do aught else.

"She is beautiful even still. Difficult to look on her, and not feel."

The words may have been especially poignant for James and his personal predicament, yet there wasn't any mockery in them. They were about as honest as they came, gently soulful. If anything was likely to startle a reaction, it was probably the fact that the tall Duke was there at all, looming quietly behind James, eyes transfixed out the window, as peacefully as if he had been there even before James had been.

That was one of the things he was known for however- there had been jests, making of him a phantom, or the King's shadow. He was often quiet, distant, introspective, and even though he stood tall, tended to simply vanish from notice. It was easy to forget someone who seemed halfway ready to forget the world around him- but many shifted uncomfortably when his gaze settled on him. The intensity of emotion, almost palpable, seemed to be in their blood. And, besides, it was not the only thing he was known for. Even accounting for the power that filling a role and enabling a story could take on in Avalon, if enough were caught up into it, there was a reason the King had chosen a human man for his champion.

He stared quietly out for several, possibly uncomfortably-long-feeling moments before his eyes slid to James, and he nodded his head, gravely.

"Master Levi. I had been making my way to your chambers," He was broad in the shoulder, but not so much as some of the enormous men that came to be knights. If anything he looked long in the body, potentially quick and dangerous even in the light suit of mail and leather he currently donned. And armed- a small blade, for quick use and the smaller quarters at his side. Or more noticeably, the large two handed weapon he held by a fist clasped around the sheath. He might not have made any motions to hint at drawing, but it was there all the same, and his eyes were no less unnervingly intent on his object of focus than ever. "I wish to have a word. Somewhere less open. I do not have long."  

Psychofish

Dedicated Loiterer

Tei Kae
Captain

Distinct Genius

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 10:12 am
Brushing auburn locks aside, James pivoted sharply at the voice. He'd only met the man a few times but enough to recognize the man after a moment of reflection. "Your Grace", nodding in a pleasant but strained tone. "I can only imagine..." his voice tight with emotion that he had not the experience to recognize nor acknowledge. "After all, abominations do not feel." It was obvious that he, along with every other unprotected being in the castle had felt, but he'd been almost taken down at the knees by the power of the emotion coursing through him, and that was weakness. Kael had never shown himself to be an enemy but he was his brother's diplomat and the Prince would use any sign of weakness if he had need of it.

James face relaxed though as he processed both the words and the true emotions behind the solider diplomat's contact. He did not say anything to take back his own words but left them hanging as he wasn't sure what he would do with them if he did. That would acknowledge something that was not what the Lady deemed and he'd spent far too much of his life pretending to be everything she said.

"How can I assist you, Your Grace?" he motioned towards his chambers. If Duke Kael wanted to speak to him, it was likely something from the Prince or of a more serious nature then standing in the hall would permit. It was rare that any heard more than a few words of greeting from the Prince's shadow. This had to have importance. The question was where...but James knew where, Kael had not the magic of the Prince and the room had enough protections that any smaller magic would not make its way through so he brought him to the antechamber of his rooms, calling out for Yvain as he did so, exhausted as she was, she was still in service to him and was serving at his pleasure. It was of course, understood without words that she would come naked as she was when she left and crawling to him on her knees until he gave her directive otherwise.

James himself went and poured two small bourbon over the ice he formed from the moisture in the air. It was rude to serve without asking, but also rude to drink without offering to another. Kael had little time, he was simply saving them the formalities, and needed the drink himself. It was also the best place to defend himself should the need arise, his own sword beside the fireplace and a few smaller weapons in decorative places since Sullis had deemed that any man worth his salt should at least have the appearance of using a weapon and any weapon had best be able to be put to use. If there was some danger to Kael, with his own magic attuned to his wards, Yvaine and some physical weapon, he might stand a chance of holding off the Duke if the need should arise. Skylar would probably kill him though for bringing him this close to his target should that target be Serafina. But none knew exactly where she'd been taken yet.

"To what do I owe the pleasure, Your Grace?"

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 9:08 pm
If nothing else, the duke had certainly mastered the expression for a bodyguard- he didn't contradict James, but simply held the blank stare fixed sharply on him. Still, if he had come to fight the nod and manner in which he followed James would have been very oddly deferential. His eyes danced around the room briefly as they entered, but he simply followed at his leisure toward the receiving area.

His call took a moment to be answered- Yvain started to her feet inside the room, then stopped, hand on the wall, and went to her knees before crawling out into the room, bleary eyed and blinking to try and focus on James- and the new figure in the rooms, physically shying slightly. The girl wouldn't be of much use without a few minutes or the right sort of shock- he'd worn her down, and after all the energy she'd been channeling and purposely using directly from the Ahj'Kratuel, her dreams had been particularly 'troubled'. Her crawl slowly stopped as she noticed, stopping in place and looking ill at ease between them. It was the point when she should have asked how she could serve, but her mouth felt dry, and everything was so hazy and dizzy she had difficulty finding words that would have suited even then.

Kael spared her only a short glance, but spared little attention- the term interest didn't suit the distant expression- for anything except James, and an area of wall just over his shoulder that he stared at in much the fashion someone does when trying to hear something distant. He didn't respond as James poured, until he seemed to finally make up his mind about whatever it was he seemed to be listening to and came out of the spell. The tall man bent over and carefully placed his large sword in-sheath across the table. Not that he needed it to look intimidating, but it probably would be a relief to most, even though a veteran combatant would have been more concerned about the shorter blade he still had on his hip indoors and in such proximity. Still. It was a gesture of peace.

He took one glass, but did not sip, but watched James carefully to see if he would.

"A debt."

If James sipped, he'd cautiously take a small one himself. "Circumstance prevents me acting as directly as I prefer, but-" he made an expression of slight distaste. "You've done well here. But already envoys and the like come in droves. They will likely occupy Andell for a time. But then they'll need accommodations. Likely, more than the castle will be able to produce." He let that sink in for a moment, staring directly at the younger man body relaxed except a single finger tapping the side of his scabbard, but eyes focused.

The room they were currently staying in, after all, was Yvain's- and she had given up her titles as handmaiden to the queen for the time being in favor of the 'title' he had given her. Given James' own lack of similar status, he might normally have held the room only by the whim and favor of the two people in Avalon's court both influential enough both to ask a dignitary to make camp in favor of him and more interested in his talents than the unsavory half of his lineage- Andell and Sullis.  

Psychofish

Dedicated Loiterer

Tei Kae
Captain

Distinct Genius

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:25 am
A small curt nod from James, he acknowledged that he might not have as much leverage as he'd prefer in this situation but he could only do what he could do, without the threat of becoming everything his grandmother claimed he could be. Sighing softly, he shifted his weight and placed the glass on his desk. " You're not wrong..."

He wasn't sure if it was a debt to Serafina or Skylar, and James wasn't sure it mattered. This man was also the Prince's brother. Slightly more trust worthy than the Prince, in so far as the Prince was more subtle than this man could ever hope to be.

"What would you have me do?"  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:22 am
His reply was simple.

"Keep her safe."

Yvain sat uneasy for a moment, watching either for a sign of what was going on, or what to do, and with nothing forthcoming continued to crawl, cautiously slowly, toward James, stopping near at hand without touching him or directly interrupting or distracting unbidden- like a good dog. Kael seemed to make up his in the midst of that period to try offering additional guidance.

"It would not do for one of her status to be ejected from her rooms. The prince would host her," he didn't say it with a finality as if it might mean her death- but certainly, given the circumstances and his nature, he would have more than opportunity enough to set anything he liked in place to use her however he felt was best at the moment. With the repercussions of her recent actions, there was no telling what that meant for her. "...unless, of course, she were already hosted by a patron or sponsor with substantial enough claim and power to make that nothing more than an unnecessary honor."

He calmly sipped his drink further. Yvain raised her eyes silently, looking toward Serafina, then James. There were very old factions here- and the girl had earlier very clearly stepped into the role of one of her past lives. Some of those of that old blood, retelling that side of the old story, might readily side with her- but it was hard to say what their goals would be or if they would give James any say in the matters until she recovered. Of course, there was the opportunity to use the more respected half of James' lineage to find someone. That would certainly be effective, if they found any of enough standing who weren't either purposely absent of Avalon or avoiding him for the demon blood in him. Yvain had no connections, but with her now being the sole keeper for the Ahj'Kratuel they could reach out to a representative of the son's and daughters who had long stood for the handling of matters related to it, but of course it risked the same issues regarding James' blood as well as the risk of her current standing becoming a concern. She could come up with a few names for any of the above, but reeled trying to discern what option might have been safe.

Perhaps the clearest cut answer was Skylar- but that would require him to be conscious, and to draw a line and distance himself from his father in a way that would make more direct conflict more immediate and likely. Assuming James even trusted him to have the same goals as he.  

Psychofish

Dedicated Loiterer

Tei Kae
Captain

Distinct Genius

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:16 am
He had options, of course. Despite his status among the Children, he was still in relatively decent position. But she was a threat. A threat to a rapidly destabilizing royal. One who hadn't even sealed his claim on the kingdom by sacrifice. Those of the ether realm were so joyous to have someone to rule over them, and to promise them access to the world again, there had been no judgement, except for the Merlin.

The first time, the Merlin had almost managed to block off the world from the magic so that humans and the others alike could not corrupt one another, but the death of the infinity dragon male had brought the magic even closer, corrupting even further the humans with magic.

James frowned, glancing at Yvain, petting her head idly while he studied the Duke. The royal siblings had a strange relationship, it was neither loving nor adversarial in the way the heir and the spare tended to be. It wasn't just a matter of trust, but of strategic planning. Rubbing the back of his neck in one of the most human of gestures, James stuck his other hand out to the 'Spare"

"A host with the force of the Zöe itself behind him...."
James mused,", Kael's story was done, but one could always direct the Zöe to fit a story...The question was, what story would fit and still permit the Merlin story. He glanced at Yvaine, mulling over the possibilities and stories. He knew many of them, but far from all. No one person could know them all...

Not anyone living, but someone who could invoke them...He had a phone call to make. He glanced at Yvaine and Kael, She was not going to like this, that much was obvious by the way he was studying her, those gray eyes flat, not an ounce of kindness behind them, only calculating surveillance.

"Yvaine, prepare the divine fountain. Call upon Nimue. She will answer your call."
He turned back to Kael. "I don't know what your royal studies included, but we're going to game the system and you're about to get an elevation." he smiled flatly, "with your permission, of course, Your Grace.", allowing that it would be at this man's discretion to permit or destroy his plans.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:08 am
Yvain bowed her head slightly, allowing James to stroke her head, wondering if it was meant to sooth her. She could have used soothing, though this did little for it except tempt her to allow her eyes to drift shut and pass out from sheer exhaustion. She'd channeled a lot of the beast much more quickly than she'd been ready for- and doubtless, without either his channeling or a careful tutor, would have done so several times already. But for as long as the tension and thinking kept her awake, it was difficult not to let every muscle bunch up in tension. She seemed to sit at a crossroads of split loyalty... and where it had started perfectly clear that she was to obey him utterly as part of her training, she was sworn to Sullis and Andell, and it was on their behalf that she had been given to James for his purposes and to be trained. If they were in very real difficulty... would they want her to assist them, as she was sworn to do? Was it a matter of bond of word, in some exchange she'd known nothing of, to where even if he turned against their ends she should serve him for their honor's sake? Or would it simply be a test failed if she left, or if she didn't?

She'd never been able to play the game on their level.And she'd never needed to do so before. It was enough to drive her to tears if she allowed.

...so what could she do but try not to think, not presume to play their game, and attempt to focus on the touch, his voice, his breathing, hopefully enough to maintain a calm center... without falling back asleep the moment she found any relaxation.

"Yes, master," she replied. She found herself grateful for the duty, something to keep her mind active but untroubled. Leaning her head into his hand, the girl closed her eyes briefly, and did her best to focus on that.It made it easier to ignore the look in his eyes and avoid it stirring up more doubt. Particularly to stop herself trying to decide just whom it was reminding her of.

If James could feel their emotions, Kael would be more difficult to read. He had strong feelings stirring deep, but they were more like violent eddies miles under the waves, muddling different things together. His expression never changed, though it was more of a hard searching look than the inscrutable amicability and manners of the royal pair. "Killing, mostly." He put flatly, looking at James slightly sideways. The boy, after all, would only know that he was close kin of Andell's, not their circumstances or the like. But he nodded slowly. "If circumstance permits. You'll need to explain further." He sat forward though, one sign at least of a keen interest in what he had in mind, despite any misgivings. "And you'll need not to expect me to best him at his game. Our strengths have always lied in different areas."  

Psychofish

Dedicated Loiterer

Tei Kae
Captain

Distinct Genius

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:01 pm
"Ho no...", James chuckled, letting Yvain stand where she would. "I value my neck far too much to presume either of us can play at Andell's level. I enjoy the challenge but something about the entire situation makes me think that Andell is not nearly as surprised at the circumstances as everyone else is." He paused reflectively. "Case in point, to be worthy of taking over his father's place some day. How is that so different from taking his place by force. Is it not what your father would have done in his day?" He mused, but glancing at the knight expectantly. His words were careful, but there was no malcontent in his tone.

"Our prince beds every night with a being whose very existence is about the flow of life. It is likely why the little Queen is so taken this pregnancy. I've heard that Skylar was a blessed child, as was his sister. It stagnates here. The elves know it, but do not know how to change it. It is why humans are so very important to it all. They love, laugh, and live. They also die so that another, their child can do the same. They are not eternal and yet they strive for it in some fashion. Usually their legacy of ownership over others."

"As for my plans for you, you will play the Fisher King." James was not sure of Kael's studies and while not the most obscure legend, it was not one filled with power and glory. He glanced at Kael's sword. "It has a requirement though that most men would not welcome..."  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:43 pm
The night gave a faint snort of amusement and sipped his drink, looking at James directly as Yvain struggled to open her eyes every so often, kneeling and head against the hand offered to her- trying hard not to fall asleep for all her exhaustion, to keep a vague track of the conversation so she'd be best rested and ready to execute her orders when when they were done.

The following sentence caused a short, thoughtful pause from Kael, but it quickly became a rueful smile, if a very distant one, as he went on to speak about their father. He took a longer drink, finding his glass empty at the end, and quietly set it back to the table. "That... is a valid insight. If he remembers how to cease the fight." The better question, he thought, was to what extreme his urge to hold onto power, to have Skylar prove his readiness and truth, and to enable his heir prevailed. Two of those would push him to be as ruthless to the child as possible. The third...

He nodded with a sadness, hearing truth in Jame's words... then opened his eyes sharply. The other man looked at his sword, but he just stared at him head on, not looking angry or resistant, or discomforted. Just thoughtful, for a long moment, before he spoke.

"...to willingly suffer such an injury would put me in breach of my duties," he didn't put it coldly, but very carefully, eyeing James... as if to warn him not to try anything rash, as the man looked back from his sword.  

Psychofish

Dedicated Loiterer

Tei Kae
Captain

Distinct Genius

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:32 pm
At that second comment, James more feral nature was evident as his grin slowly increased in a predatory smile. "Oh, we wouldn't want that...." he paused. "It won't be willingly."

He shrugged off the concern. "If the Zöe wills it, it shall be. If for naught, it will also be as the Zöe wills it." his granite gray eyes seemed unconcerned. His more earthly half had plenty of faith in the essence of the world's love of story. It had no creativity. It sought repetition of the same stories. Sometimes you could force new outcomes, but they were rare, and a sign of the truly powerful.

"In fact, we could solve our problem another way. We could go the path of least resistance and deal with the Merlin himself. If he were dead, then the threat to your brother would not matter, and there'd be no need of the story." He paused reflecting. "But for you to defeat the Merlin by yourself, you would need a powerful weapon at your side."

He glanced at Yvain, "What are you waiting on, go request an audience with Nimue." He sounded mildly aggrieved and not at all pleased with her.  
Lamplight Memories

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff