Welcome to Gaia! ::

.:. Shadows of Africa - Moving! .:.

Back to Guilds

Reply [IC] Tianxia Lands [IC]
[PRP - West] Morning Mist (Chen Lu x Hongtang)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Safaia

Crew

Trickster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:47 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

She had arrived the day before to relay a message from the South house to the West. The message had been received, but Chen Lu was awaiting the Lord and Lady's reply. It was just business, and she knew that they were probably just taking their time in getting a reply together. She didn't mind one bit.

The West seemed like such a magical place, with the artistic achievements of the house on display everywhere. She already saw a bard perform, and was able to listen to other bards and singers prepare for their own performances. She saw trinkets hanging in the trees, and the beginnings of paintings being created, and joy streaming through the trees. She loves her South house, but coming to the West was something she would never say no to.

She had gotten up early this morning, shifting through the mostly-quiet trees as she appreciated this lull before a busy day. Some guards were patrolling, and some hunters were up early to go get breakfast for those that needed to eat. She picked her way to a clearing, sitting down to appreciate the calm and beauty that was here.

She breathed slowly, in and out, letting herself quietly meditate. Keeping a clear mine was good for a messenger, for she would need to relay the West's Lord and Lady's message clearly and perfect, with nothing missing. She was sure that they would give her a reply tonight, but at least the morning was all her's.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:14 pm
User Image

Occasionally mornings were his own time to fill. Of course, most nights were, but he usually was so tired that he only cared to curl in his tiny assigned den and sleep. No one was cruel to him or unkind, at least. He merely was expected to do a lot of grunt work and distasteful things that took up much time and effort. The one thing that rarely was worn out was his mind, but usually his body was too exhausted to allow him much intellectual time after he finished the day's tasks.

So mornings, as mists drifted through the trees and the sun rose in golden glory, was his time to himself. Many of those he served weren't up so early, and he took lawful advantage of that to spend a little time roaming, breathing deep, and keeping his spirits up. It wasn't always easy. It was such a shameful thing to be a criminal, to have such an obvious (and visible!) mark to sully his reputation. It pained him deeply, since all he had wanted was to do his part and work hard.

Perhaps someday... these thoughts were interrupted as he rounded a clump of bushes and stepped into a tiny clearing that was occupied. He gave a sharp inhalation of breath, startled and faintly alarmed. This wasn't one of the members of the West House, and his automatic worry was of North House retribution. However, a handful of fast heartbeats later, he realized this was a cheetah, and a female at that. Very unlikely to be in league with those who hated non-lions, to be sure!

"Pardon my intrusion, miss," he murmured, bowing his head in submission and revealing the metal cuff in his ear that marked him as a criminal. "Can I help you with anything?" It was a humble offer, untainted by the resentment that occasionally tinged his heart. He did his best to fight such sentiments off. If he ever hoped to earn the right to become more than just the lowest of the low, he knew he needed a good attitude and an open heart.

Safaia

Talencia

Blessed Friend

Safaia

Crew

Trickster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:22 pm
"Hm?" The intrusion to her meditations didn't bother her, as her tail began to swish next to her as she glanced over to see who spoke. A pale leopard who carried the mark of a criminal. She instinctual felt herself stiffen, though her better sense came to her. If he was a true danger, he would not be allowed to roam freely within any lands, and his polite manners only made that more apparent. He must be trusted, even if he had committed a crime.

"Good morning," she replied with a courteous bow of her head. Even if he was low class, that was no reason to be disrespectful to one simply because of that. He had done no harm directly to her, and so she would treat him respectfully.

"I am merely absorbing what light and joy I can while being in the West. Its so vibrant and full of creativity. Not like my home, where everything is rigid and structured...though I suppose that isn't always a bad thing. I enjoy my visits to the West." She glanced one again around her...and then flushed.

"Um, well. I didn't answer you question, did I? I don't really need help, no. I am just waiting for a summons, that's all. The mornings here are so peaceful, I had to indulge."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:41 pm
Her respect and relaxed chatter was like a balm to his soul. He slowly raised his eyes to watch her talk, eyes taking in her gracefulness, both in body and in mind. By the time she stopped talking, he was smiling faintly with a wistful, sad sort of expression. She was a refreshing glimpse of the world he'd had before that terrible, rainy night. For him, she had brought the light and joy with her, rather than needing to absorb it from their location. However, he nodded agreement with her sentiments.

"I enjoy spending time out here in the mornings when I can as well," he told her timidly, the tip of his tail twitching faintly. He was a little nervous about having a real conversation with someone, especially one as lovely as this cheetah. He didn't expect her to punish him, however. He already had the very strong impression that she was a warm and gentle soul, unlikely to react with sudden disapproval to something she had seemed permissive of. However, someone else might come along and take exception of his familiar manner with the messenger.

"The North is also very rigid," he offered quietly, recalling the strict rules and regulations for the soldiers of the pride. "I do think I prefer it here in the West," he further admitted, ears flattening just a little at his boldness. Were criminals allowed to have opinions? He doubted most others would have tolerated it, but he rather longed to prolong this pleasant moment. He really wanted to ask the beautiful lady her name, but knew that would indeed be too forward for one so low in rank and rules as he. Offering his own name would have been equally assertive, so he subsided into silence.

Talencia

Blessed Friend

Safaia

Crew

Trickster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:46 pm
Chen Lu laughed at his mention of the North. She couldn't help herself! "I shouldn't laugh, but its so true. The North thinks that they know everything that they're doing, but they couldn't talk their way out of a cave. No, I think they know that they need to depend on us more than they'll admit." She couldn't help but smugly smile at the tree above her, and then her eyes lowered down as she looked straight at the leopard.

"No, they're morons for the most part." She sighed. "I think they're getting better, but they've got a while to go. We, er, I mean, the South, always have to diplomatically clean up the messes they make as they just trudge along talking about strength and honor." She rolled her eyes but the laughter was still in them.

"I assume you've been there, if you can compare it with the West. It is much better here, even if the current Lady can be a bit brash at times."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:28 pm
Hongtang listened with astonishment at the bluntness with which the cheetahess spoke of the North House. In fact, his jaw probably was wide open, and he completely unaware, so startled was he. Her candor was like a shockingly chilly rain shower, but it wasn't unwelcome by any means. He himself had little love for the North House, but she had no way to know that.

"Strength and honor," he repeated softly, bitterness tinging his voice. His ears tipped back, but only slightly. He doubted it was proper for a criminal to speak badly of another house, but his had his feelings, and they were hard to repress in the presence of a sympathetic individual. "Yes, that was where my... crime happened," he told her slowly, pausing with a surge of emotion. It was his typical confusing mix of anger, guilt, sorrow, shame, and resentment.

To his surprise, though, he felt a faint bristling indignance at her mild description of his House's Lady. He blinked at surprise at himself. He hadn't been aware he felt any sort of allegiance to his current home. He pondered for a moment before responding, again with a muted voice and lowered eyes. "I do like it here, actually." To save himself from too much scrutiny, he hurriedly added a question. "What of East House, then?"

Talencia

Blessed Friend

Safaia

Crew

Trickster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:12 pm
She was about to comment on his wide open mouth, something about flies...but then he confessed her suspicions...the North. "I doubt you'll be the last," was all she said about that. There were good lions there, but there were also some that abused their power too much. She hoped that the younger Lord would set things right.

"I've visited East only once. Its an interesting place. Knowledge is their cornerstone, but it comes with oral history and lots of studying." Her green shoulders shrugged as she dabbed at the earth with a yellow paw. "It bears some similarities to the South, but I would rather be part of the history than merely hear about it."

She sighed. "I want.. to achieve higher things. Impress my lady with my work, and become a secretary. From there...I'm not certain where I will go, but I want to impact this pride as a whole for the good."

Her tail curled against her side, a little embarrassed for telling so much to him. He seemed sad, and it only fueled her desire to help. She had only ever mentioned this to her sister, and even then she felt a little silly. How high would they let a cheetah go? She knew with hard work she could get decently far. As long as she succeeded, she would be content.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:42 pm
He was silently grateful for her acceptance of his statement concerning his connection with North House. It wasn't that he intended to hide his crime from her. If she asked, he'd tell her. Not just because he had to obey, but also because she was the sort he desired to please, the kind that made him glad to serve, even if it had to be as a criminal. Even so, though, he was not eager to be grilled about what he'd done wrong. He didn't savor being treated as the scum of the earth, which is what most folk considered a criminal, even before they knew what he or she had done wrong. This messenger was one of the very few who hadn't indicated this sort of attitude, even when given the perfect opening to express it.

But as she went on to speak about East House, his expression went from faintly guarded to mild amazement. She spoke with simple passion, and it went well beyond ambition. It was clear that it was for her clan and pride that she strove for this. He was a little taken aback that she chose to share this, here and now, with him, the lowest of the low. His eyes searched hers, his amazement shifting to wonder. What was it about this female that made him feel so accepted, so normal? Why would she treat him so kindly and with such trust? Her body language told him that she hadn't expected to be so open with him, so this was not a habit of just talking to whomever was there to speak to.

"With that sort of passion," he responded in a slow, warm voice, "I am certain you will go far and do much good, miss." He gave her a rare smile, warm and genuine despite being subdued. He had a few reasons to smile nowadays, most of them blessings of the minor sort, or hopes for the future. But here before him was an active, living, breathing reason to smile. "May I have the honor of knowing the name of the future Secretary? It would be nice to hold your name in my heart when I hear of your achievements, knowing I had the privilege of meeting you once." He strove to keep the sadness from his voice and expression. His position was such that he might not ever see her again, and this would be something to counter that sadness with. If he could not enjoy visiting with her again, at least he could know her name, if she was willing to share it.

Talencia

Blessed Friend

Safaia

Crew

Trickster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:19 pm
She still felt embarrassed for sharing so much, so quickly. There was something strange about this leopard, this criminal. He held a title that didn't fit him, and though she wouldn't pursue the reasoning, it still left her troubled. Something had gone wrong, somewhere, and this leopard was paying for that wrongness. It made her shiver. He was too honest and respectful, his voice too quiet, to be scheming for anything more.

"Ah, its Chen Lu," she said with a smile. Her eyes flitted towards his, and away from him, not really certain on how she should proceed. She had already decided that she wouldn't ask what was wrong, and so she kept reminding herself that she wouldn't. She was tempting to see if there was a verbal record of the problem...but would that be invading his privacy? With a mental sigh, she knew the answer.

"I still have a ways to go. Hopefully I will get promoted soon...hard work seems to be the key to everything here." She didn't dare mention rank...as at least here, hard work could promote one up in rank, in class...and though she'd never want to use it against anyone negatively, she hoped that it could help in the future.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:14 am
"Honor to you then, Chen Lu," he intoned, bowing his head in respect. "Hard work can indeed be rewarded." He paused thoughtfully, ears expressive in their introspection. "I... I wonder if my hard work... might...," he trailed off, whiskers trembling. Could it perhaps be possible to work his way out of being a criminal? Could he prove himself worth to the Lady of his house? It was a thought he hadn't entertained before. This would take some further mulling. Who would he approach about it? Ah, probably an overseer. That would be safest and most respectful.

He brought himself back to the here and now with a twitch of his hide, bowing his head once more in submissive apology. "Forgive me for my wandering mind, miss," he said quietly. "I should get back to my duties. But please know," he raised his eyes to hers to convey how deeply he meant his next words, "you have been a light in the storm of my life. I would consider it a great favor if you would come visit me again, if you should be sent here another time." It was daring of him, especially with his rank, but she had truly brought comfort and reassurance to his existence, and he found himself craving more of her presence, even before he'd had to leave her. "Until such a blessed time, I must bid you farewell." This time he bowed his whole body, stretching his forepaws out in front of himself and lowering his chest to the ground, ears swept back and eyes closed. It wasn't a gesture of subservience so much as one of deep gratitude.

That done, he rose and backed out of the glen, firmly turning his mind to his tasks. Ah yes, he was to haul supplies for one of the more busy artisans. Somehow, after the encounter with the lovely cheetah, such a job seemed less onerous than it had before. Now it seemed to him that his hard work was good for its own sake, and would, perhaps, someday be rewarded with freedom.

Safaia

Talencia

Blessed Friend

Safaia

Crew

Trickster

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:57 pm
Chen Lu nodded when he wished her well...and wished to see her again. She knew she couldn't make promises, so she only smiled at him when he asked to see her again. She wouldn't mind, it was all on where her job took her.

She watched him leave, sighing to herself. Hopefully he would be happier if she saw him again. Once she couldn't see him any longer, she turned to go find her companion, assuming that they would return to the South later today.

[IC] Tianxia Lands [IC]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games