Welcome to Gaia! ::

River of Polls : A GUILD OF RANDOMNESS AND EVERYTHING!!!!!!!

Back to Guilds

A random-based guild in which you may literally spam, chat, and do whatever you want. (Just follow the TOS and have fun!!!) 

Tags: Spam, Polls, Chat, Everything, Hangout, Role-playing, Role, Play, Word, Games, Quizzes, Discussion, Friends, Roleplay 

Reply River of Polls
Changin' the title of this thread: Surgery! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

I don't understand how the world is set up some times.
  o3o
View Results

Semok

Fuzzy Lunatic

21,900 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:21 am
Recyclable Raccoon
Yikes. I am talking to my doctor about this same thing next time I see her. Breast cancer runs in my dad's side of the family, so I figure it's better to get it checked out now. I am really worried that I will get it when I'm in my early 40s, like my relatives all did.

I'm glad your mom is being support about it now! This is scary s**t and probably painful recovery to go through alone.

I'm sorry to hear about your family history of cancer. Have any of them had the genetic testin' done?

Also, it's actually not as painful a recovery as you may think. Since I'm gettin' it as a preventative tactic, before I get cancer, it's a very simple procedure.

There is some confusion as to whether or not I get some lymph nodes taken out, though, but I'll know more on Friday. Tomorrow I get to get all radioactive and have a mri done.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:28 am
Semok
Recyclable Raccoon
Yikes. I am talking to my doctor about this same thing next time I see her. Breast cancer runs in my dad's side of the family, so I figure it's better to get it checked out now. I am really worried that I will get it when I'm in my early 40s, like my relatives all did.

I'm glad your mom is being support about it now! This is scary s**t and probably painful recovery to go through alone.

I'm sorry to hear about your family history of cancer. Have any of them had the genetic testin' done?

Also, it's actually not as painful a recovery as you may think. Since I'm gettin' it as a preventative tactic, before I get cancer, it's a very simple procedure.

There is some confusion as to whether or not I get some lymph nodes taken out, though, but I'll know more on Friday. Tomorrow I get to get all radioactive and have a mri done.

They have not. The one aunt I have on that side that hasn't had breast cancer refuses to get tested because she's a nurse and says she is low risk because she had kids young (the others had fertility problems) and the people that have had it don't care because they've already had it and they all only have sons.

Ah, when I was reading about it, some blogs said it hurt. I guess they had the reconstruction part too though, so there is stretching or something involved in that, which I guess is more painful?

Good luck getting it all sorted out!  

Recyclable Raccoon

Semok

Fuzzy Lunatic

21,900 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:31 am
Recyclable Raccoon
Semok
Recyclable Raccoon

They have not. The one aunt I have on that side that hasn't had breast cancer refuses to get tested because she's a nurse and says she is low risk because she had kids young (the others had fertility problems) and the people that have had it don't care because they've already had it and they all only have sons.

Ah, when I was reading about it, some blogs said it hurt. I guess they had the reconstruction part too though, so there is stretching or something involved in that, which I guess is more painful?

Yeah, the reconstruction part is what makes it painful and adds possible complications, which I'm not getting. They insert expanders that slowly stretch the skin so you can put the implants in later on. From what I've seen, a lot of people find that the painful part. It also means they have to have drains in for longer. I'm gonna pass on all that. Not even gonna attempt to keep my nipples. xd

Also, a lot of families, includin' my own, choose not to get the genetic testin', since, if you happen to test negative, insurance will no longer cover things cancer related, and I feel like testin' negative won't make me feel any better at this point, due to my family history and ancestry.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:39 am
Semok
Recyclable Raccoon
Semok
Recyclable Raccoon

Yeah, the reconstruction part is what makes it painful and adds possible complications, which I'm not getting. They insert expanders that slowly stretch the skin so you can put the implants in later on. From what I've seen, a lot of people find that the painful part. It also means they have to have drains in for longer. I'm gonna pass on all that. Not even gonna attempt to keep my nipples. xd

Also, a lot of families, includin' my own, choose not to get the genetic testin', since, if you happen to test negative, insurance will no longer cover things cancer related, and I feel like testin' negative won't make me feel any better at this point, due to my family history and ancestry.

That's sucky of the insurance companies. I'm pretty sure preventative mastectomies for EVERYONE would cost them less than treating cancer for 13% of them. Guess that's smart of the families that don't, though, since only something like 5-10% of all breast cancer cases are from the gene that's tested for.  

Recyclable Raccoon

Semok

Fuzzy Lunatic

21,900 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:46 am
Recyclable Raccoon
Semok
Recyclable Raccoon
Semok
Recyclable Raccoon

That's sucky of the insurance companies. I'm pretty sure preventative mastectomies for EVERYONE would cost them less than treating cancer for 13% of them. Guess that's smart of the families that don't, though, since only something like 5-10% of all breast cancer cases are from the gene that's tested for.

Yeah, it would only help them save money. The way insurance is set up nowadays is ridiculous. I'm goin' to have the joy of callin' all over the place and talkin' with my insurance company all over again after my visit on Friday, since I want to get a more precise estimate on how much this is all gonna cost me.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:38 pm
Got the MRI today. Now I have a ton of pictures of my breasts, showin' their insides, slice by slice. It's kinda cool, since I now have a program that plays them as a video, and at the end, I have a 3D image of my boobs. xd  

Semok

Fuzzy Lunatic

21,900 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Conventioneer 300

Semok

Fuzzy Lunatic

21,900 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:25 pm
Alright. The surgeon agreed to do the surgery, though he was reluctant, since I am young and healthy.

On Tuesday, the receptionist will call me with a list of times that the hospital and surgeon are available, which should be within the next month, and then I pick a day and I'm off!  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:31 pm
Alright. Everythin' is set and I will be havin' my surgery on March 6th at 7am.  

Semok

Fuzzy Lunatic

21,900 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Conventioneer 300

Semok

Fuzzy Lunatic

21,900 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:03 pm
Still postin' in this, because I can. Surgery in a little over 3 days. My parents are comin' down and stayin' in a hotel from Wednesday to Saturday in case I die or somethin', or if I need any help after the surgery.

Tempted to take some before and after pictures, but I don't know if that's really appropriate to post, even if I do black out the nipples (well, in the before picture, at least, when I have some).  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:04 pm
The hospital also called me a few days ago and asked me if I had a will, which made me sorta nervous, so now I'm kinda tempted to write one up, just in case. I've made sure that everyone I know knows what I want done with my body in case I die.  

Semok

Fuzzy Lunatic

21,900 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Conventioneer 300

cool4
Captain

Buggy Glitch

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:49 am
You should make sure everything you want done to you is written down, though everything will likely go fine.

Best of luck.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:05 am
Well, as far as bein' resuscitated and all that goes, I've been told that since I'm young, they'd automatically try to save me, no matter what I say.  

Semok

Fuzzy Lunatic

21,900 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Conventioneer 300

Semok

Fuzzy Lunatic

21,900 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:04 pm
And this is it. I have surgery bright and early tomorrow mornin'. If I'm not back on in a few days, then I'm either in more pain that I thought, or possibly dead.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:12 pm
I my hospital room now. Surgery done. Thrown up twice. xp  

Semok

Fuzzy Lunatic

21,900 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Conventioneer 300

Dannyxcores
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:03 pm
Get better soon Semoksies.