Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Talencia

Blessed Friend

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:18 pm
User Image

In a clearing in the midst of the main cluster of dens, not far from the now-frozen river, Madakata, Queen of the Vuli, ascended a time-smoothed boulder. It was a good central place for gatherings, particularly when there were less games and more communication needed. The Observance of Harmony was the most subdued of the celebrations the pride put on, but it was of vital importance, especially this year. This time, there was much to leave behind, and a great need for hope for the future.

She stood alone on the rock, gazing down at the gathered pride members. There were a few visitors, but during this hard season of cold, not many came to participate in this month's gathering. She took the time to smile warmly, if sadly, at the cubs that were present, all bundled up in warm furs against the cold of snow and ice. Many colors of pelts dotted the white landscape, lumps of color forming where individuals huddled together for physical warmth or emotional affection. This was her pride... and she would do all she could for its benefit.

"Welcome to this year's Observance of Harmony," she intoned, her voice catching slightly as she spoke words that her mate should have been there to speak. Words he had spoken many times before. She blinked quickly, banishing the tears and very carefully not looking at a brown and black form within the crowd, though she very much wanted the comfort he offered. No, she needed to be strong for them all, for Sikukuu. "We all have things to reflect on about this past year... both triumphs and heartbreak." She paused to inhale slowly, sharing the sorrow of others who had lost loved ones in the autumn storm. "But today is about the future, about new beginnings."

She smiled shakily at the murmurs of approval and agreement. Now came the hard part. "There is much I wish to tell you, but I will start with the most difficult part." She waited for silence, meeting eyes here and there. When silence was achieved, she took a deep breath and went on. "I have had a wonderful time, serving you through the years as the Queen of the Vuli clan. But in light of the tragedies this summer, my time has come. I am stepping down as Queen, to make way for new rulers."

She sat down then, her rump touching the chilly rock, giving everyone time to react. She wasn't sure what kind of reaction the pride would have, but she was braced and ready for it, whatever it was. Momentarily she would be able to move past this and on to the better things she had to tell them all. Keeping this firmly in mind, she waited.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:36 pm
User Image

Wing had to talk herself into going to the ceremony. Lately she'd been doing a bit better, but there was still sorrow in her heart that weighed her down like rocks tied to her paws. She hadn't gone out of her cave for anything other than food and water lately, so this was her first time out and about for something that wasn't required. She took her seat away from the cubs, her heart aching when she heard their laughter.

Losing her son had hurt. Anyone could see that. But Wing knew she needed to get over his death, that the gods would protect him now, and she needed to continue on with her life regardless. It wasn't something she could reverse, after all. Not living would be an insult to her son's life. She hoped attending the ceremony would bring some cheer back to her heart.

Golden eyes rested on Madakata as she moved to the smoothed stone, a weak smile on her lips. The queen of her season inspired her to no end, even after the tragedies that had befallen their pride as a whole. She kept her head high and spoke despite the few wavers Wing heard, determined and strong, just as she should be. At the prospect of bad news, though, the cheetah's ears fell. Oh no...

The news hit her hard. She was stepping down as queen? Who would take her place? She could remember the scare when she had thought she had died in the storm as well and, while the queen still stood before her, the thought of not having her as a guiding light made her chest tighten and tail twitch unhappily. She remained silent, though. Her voice wouldn't be heard by anyone nearby anyway, even if she had spoken: disuse had made her hoarse.

Instead Wing watched the queen with sad eyes, her heart breaking. Surely someone would take her place...but somehow Wing felt it wouldn't be the same. When she thought of Vuli, she thought of Madakata. The warm smile and laughter that cheered everyone's spirits even as the plants began to wither in the cooler weather. She brought warmth to a season that didn't have much, even in Africa.  

SilverLutz

Offensive Hero

Ctrl F Greenie

Colorful Waffles

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:27 pm
User Image

Being a fresh face in the pride had its downfalls. Sure Emva`Kwemvula was aware of the loss, aware of the tragedies that befell the pride, but she in no way felt involved or included in these problems. That is not to say she wouldn't weep for their losses, she was just separated in her own mind. Somehow that made crying that much worse for her, as if she had not earned the tears that the pleasant folks gathered here had earned. With that in mind Em kept to herself.

---

Her approach was slow, steady and smooth. She felt eyes move around, watching everyone, not her, but everyone. She could feel the sorrow as if it was physically able to wash over her like a wave from the ocean. It was simply that thick. She sighed softly, her own eyes avoiding everyone else to stare up at the royal figure whom seemed to stare right back. The scenario seemed odd, Em had not figured she would be in this position in her life.

"Wha-?" She spoke, more like breathed actually. The words did not make a clean sweep through her ears and seemed to have to make a second trip around to hit home. The Queen was stepping down? Her thoughts rang to match her desperate 'wha-'. This was not usual occurrence, at least Em knew that, and this was certainly not something common here either. That was learned by giving a simple glance around, her own shock could easily be matched to a few surrounding her.

Em let her rump drop, just as the Queen had, and she stared barely allowing herself to breath as to not miss even the slightest of statements that may come.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:52 pm
User Image

He had no idea that he was slipping in on such a sad occurrence, or that by approaching his new friend he might start a lot of female gossip rings. But he approached her none the less, slowly at first as he was unsure whether it was truly Wing. She had promised to return in a few days time, but it had been a bit longer than that and he still hadn't seen her anywhere. He really thought she'd stood him up, or even worse that something terrible had happened to her! But the closer he stepped, the more his heart came to an ease. She was perfectly safe, though her expression told a different story.

She seemed ill at ease, saddened, not the same cheetah she had met just a few days before. Sure, she still had the same sadness in her eyes, but this time there was something else there. Another type of sadness, something he hadn't seen before.

Huddling up close to her, he stood by her side and nudged her gently. The Queen had finished her speech, and he had missed it in its entirity "Is everything OK? You seem more upset than the last time I saw you.." He asked, the concern on his face, now quite obvious.

SilverLutz

Depawsit

Charitable Informer

15,050 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Luck of the Draw 50
  • Invisibility 100

SilverLutz

Offensive Hero

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:24 pm
Wing hung her head as he thoughts raced. There was so much to think about, and it wasn't even about herself or her son. This pride was going through so many changes that it was breathtaking, and she wasn't quite sure if it was a good or bad thing yet.

When someone sat beside her and spoke she lifted her head in surprise, ears twisting to the side before her eyes followed. She gazed up and for a moment she was confused, but finally the face registered. A little smile crossed her lips as she recognized Sitare. His question caught her off guard - had he not heard?

"Oh...it...well," she mumbled, not sure how to explain. She nodded to the lioness sitting silently at the head of the crowd. "That...she is our queen. Was. Our queen. The head of my clan," she added softly. "She's stepping down. Her mate..." She bit her lip and let out a slow sigh. "My son wasn't the only one to fall victim to the storm...let's just say that. There's so many changes going on here...I'm so sorry, Sitare. I didn't know things were going to be so...well...somber when I told you you should come visit."

Depawsit

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:04 pm
The murmurs of dismay and concern that rippled through those assembled before her warmed Madakata's heart. She gave them all a warmer smile before again rising to her paws to speak. The hard part was over, now they could find new reasons to rejoice. "I will not be leaving you, do not worry," she said, her tone gentle but her voice loud enough to carry. "I will be taking on a new position as Royal Assistant, representing the Vuli." Her eyes lingered on several of those closest to her that were of her clan. "I will go between my clan and the rulers, help to organize and manage the celebrations we are known for." Her voice lifted, some of the sorrow dropping away as she spoke of their monthly parties.

"I will be helping the new rulers to choose a Royal Assistant from each of the other three clans as well. If this rank interests you, speak to me later so that I may make your interest known." She once more swept the crowd with her gaze and took a deep breath. Though she still mourned deeply, she also looked forward to this next part. "Before I introduce you to your new rulers, I must inform you of a great change in the pride." The anticipated stirring was allowed to rise before she continued. "No longer will there be two queens and two kings. No longer a single ruler for each clan." She stood straight and tall, looking regal even as she announced the end to her own era and way of ruling. "From this day forward, there will be one king, and one queen. The king will rule over the clans of Kaskazi and Mrao. The queen will rule over the clans of Demani and Vuli." Her mouth quirked in a wry smile and her eyes twinkled. "One strong and bold for the seasons that suit the firm paw of a male. The more mutable and changing seasons to challenge the clever and adaptable ways of a female." Once more she settled onto her hindquarters to give everyone a chance to react. This was big news indeed for Sikukuu!

Talencia

Blessed Friend

Safaia

Crew

Trickster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:02 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Change was something Samsara had learned herself. Her home as she had known it was gone, and with no where to go, she ended up in the Sikukuu. Happiness had followed, but sadness as well. The lioness sat with her fellow pride members, listening intently to what Madakata had to say. The sweet lioness had been kind to her, as had everyone here. Samsara was happy that she would be around, and hoped to speak with her at some point in the future. For now, the future was the key topic, and she was intrigued at the shift in how the pride would be handled from this point foward. The yellow lioness nodded upon hearing of one King and Queen, agreeing with the changes that were to come. Change could be scary, but it could be good, too!

"This sounds promising," she stated.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:39 pm
User ImageVappu had always liked this part of the Mrao celebrations. To start over with a clean slate was appealing to her, and it also served as a reminder that her own season would come soon. But that didn't stop her from voicing her worry when Madakata announced that she'd step down.

She was soon distracted, however. Her ears perked up and she craned her neck to see the gentleman lion that had approached Wing with such familiarity. Who was that? If he belonged to Sikukuu he must be a very recent addition. Vappu was itching to go find out, but she'd have to wait until later. Madakata was speaking again.

The cheetah laughed when the former queen described her own season as most suitable for a female regent to handle. It would be nice to have a queen for her season again, and she was glad that the arrangements would be fairly similar to what it had used to be.

"That sounds just about right," she said with a giggle. This was going to be exciting!

Annchen

Sparkly Bibliophile

Siire

Wealthy Wolf

5,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Profitable 100
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:11 pm
Pell D'Estiu
Cacau Neu

Having keeping quiet and to the back, the lioness sat there, Neu siting on her had and keeping curled under her mane. Hearing that a single queen would rule not only Vuli but Demani, the clan she made her mark in, she was a but surprised but what hit her heart was this word of stepping down. It hurt her way worse than when she sprained her paw that one time. All of the Queen's words struck her down at first, but when good new came to light, it just brought her back up until she shuddered. It was still freezing, and she has yet to try and get all of that snow off of her den, especially at the entrance; it was hard to not trip on it half the time.

The little male one her head, however was half asleep because he always got tired whenever it was cold, which was why her kept under her mane-like tuft since it was really warm there. "Pell, is it all true, what the lioness is talkin' about?" He asked in a whisper as he crawled to her ear, making her nod as she kept silent. Keeping her ears perked forward, she hopped she didn't bug her little pal who just went back to sleep on her head and she huffed, yet a bit happy.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:05 pm
As the murmurs died down, Wing turned her head to look back to the now ex queen. Or soon to be ex queen. The look on Madakata's face let a little spark of hope take hold in her heart. She wasn't sad anymore, but hopeful and even a bit happy. As she listened, her ears perked up in interest.

A Royal Assistant? So she wasn't leaving the role of leader completely. That made Wing smile, a rare occurrence as of late. It made her chest warm a bit and she let out a little sigh of relief, shifting to lean against the large lion beside her. Phew! It wasn't all bad news, then. One king, one queen. It was more traditional, but Wing didn't mind at all. Change was a good thing at times, and if anything had to switch, now would be the time to do it.

Looking up at Sitare as she took her weight off him, she gave a weak laugh. "Well...it's not as bad as I thought originally, it seems. We have...er...used to have a king and queen for each season, but it seems things are becoming a bit simpler now." Simple could be good. And Madakata wasn't stepping out of a leadership position! That made her extremely happy as she'd done such an amazing job leading the Vuli clan thus far.

Depawsit

SilverLutz

Offensive Hero

Depawsit

Charitable Informer

15,050 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Luck of the Draw 50
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:16 pm
User Image

Sitare's flattened ears seemed to mimic the motion of Wing's own as he listened to explain the ways of the pride to him and while things were the way they were. Before she had been so upset, but now as she two stood side by side he could feel her spirit soar a bit. He smiled to himself as he felt her lean against him. He would have been lying if he said he didn't enjoy the feeling just a tiny bit. OK ... maybe a bit more. But that would be his secret. For now at least.

"Ah well there you go! No reason to be so down!" He mused happily, nudging her happily as he spoke. "Perhaps this simpler position for your Queen, will be a better thing for her in the long run." Sitare shrugged his shoulders lightly as he spoke, taking a quick peek at the queen as he spoke. "She may have her own reasons for stepping down, we have to keep that in mind when making judgments.

SilverLutz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:49 pm
User Image
Paean had just happened to sit down near a pale colored cheetah, one of the more recent additions to the pride. He was as surprised as anyone else when Madakata announced that she was going to step down and take up a new position, but his mind soon started to wander.

"Well I'm not going to volunteer," he said to his neighbor, "Royal Assistant sounds like an awful lot of work..."

He'd happily leave the work and bossing around to someone else... He was sure plenty of pride members would trip over their own feet at the chance of a little more responsibility. Paean would trip over his own feet running away from it...

"Hey, what clan are you in again," he whispered to the cheetah, "I forgot."

Green Ever After

Annchen

Sparkly Bibliophile

Talencia

Blessed Friend

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:56 am
It pleased the former queen to hear approving murmurs at this news. To be honest, she'd been a little anxious about how her people would take it. Ever since they'd been in this location, for generations, there had been two queens and two kings. It was a relief to the strained lioness that the pride would be so accepting of the change. She took a step forward and held up a paw for silence finally. When it was quiet once more, she smiled down at them all. "It is my pleasure to introduce to you two familiar faces. They were there for you all during the storm, out helping with their own paws when crisis struck. They are each one of us, one born here and the other having chosen to stay with us, having come from afar." These were the reasons she had chosen them. The pride would benefit from a couple that worked well with others, who shared both an innate sense of home and loyalty as well as knowledge of the wide world. From here on it would be the Royal Assistants who chose new rulers, should such a need arise again early in the King and Queen's lives, the heavens forbid.

"I would like to introduce Heimdall, your new King, and his mate Esteryti, your new Queen." She gave the couple a welcoming gesture, inviting them up onto the rock with her. Three was about as much as the rock could hold comfortably, so she was glad her last announcement was... well, noticeable enough without being on the rock. She moved over, so that King and Queen could stand side by side.

User Image

Ester had listened with two halves of her mind as Madakata spoke. The one half had just been a gibbering knot of anxiety. The other, though, was moved by the older queen's courage and fortitude. Could she hold up that well if she had lost Heim and had to forge on alone for more than a season? She glanced at him, the one she loved so dearly, and still could not say if she had such strength in her. She supposed she'd have had to, for the sake of the pride. Even so, her esteem of Madakata was great, and she was very reassured that she was going to be available as a Royal Assistant. There was no question in Ester's mind that she would be using her as a confidante as well! This was scary business, becoming queen of an entire pride!

She leaned her shoulder against Heim as the build-up came, as Mada described their involvement with the storm. She gave his chin one last head bump before the eyes of the pride would turn towards them, then stood straight, eyes on the retiring queen. When their names were called, she stepped forward calmly, climbing up to stand beside Madakata, leaving enough room for larger Heim to come after her. She smiled out at the gathered pride, her heart swelling with what only could be called love. This was her pride, and she was happy to do what she could to protect and provide for it. She turned to give Madakata a cheek rub of gratefulness and affection, then looked back to the pride. She took a shaky breath, then said as clearly as she could, working slowly past her usual stutter, as her tutor had coached her. "It is an honor t-to be chosen. I w-will do my best for the p-pride and give my all f-for it."

There, that was all she was going to say, for now. She wasn't terribly good at standing before a large crowd and speaking formally. Heavens knew Heim was much better at that, being a performer as he was! This was why she had spoken first, leaving him to make a better, lasting impression for them both.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:56 am
Wing nodded slightly as Sitare spoke. The now ex-queen was the last of the royals and had been under quite a bit of strain since the flood, having to run the pride on her own and mourn the loss of her mate and friends at the same time. She wouldn't have wanted to be in her position and wasn't jealous of her in the least. To know that she'd still have a paw in running the pride soothed any fears Wing might have had. It was difficult to have lions step up that had never ruled before, but that she'd be there to help them was a lifesaver.

Her ears perked up in surprise as Madakata named the king and queen. Heimdall had been in the search party that had found her and her cub, and he himself had carried her lost son back to the main area of the pride for her. She knew he was a kind soul and was glad he was taking up the roll of king. His mate, Esteryti, was equally kind and sweet. She had been in charge of keeping the dancers hydrated and healthy before the storm had interrupted their summer celebration. Her tail twitched back and forth in delight as the climbed up the rock, and she stamped her tiny paws in approval before the new queen spoke.

"Oh, that's wonderful," she said as she finished, leaning up for Sitare to hear her. "Heimdall helped me after the storm. His mate is a dear thing as well...I'm so glad they look up to the task." Indeed, all the lions that were standing above the crowd looked very pleased with the way things were going.

Depawsit

SilverLutz

Offensive Hero

Siire

Wealthy Wolf

5,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Profitable 100
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:27 am
Looking to see Ester, she remembered that storm and shook Neu awake. "Remember that lioness, Neu? During the storm, when i found you, i had sprained my paw but you were joined with your mother with Ester, though you kept looking to me." She said softly as the green and blue hetero eyed familiar lifted his head and looked at the new Queen, Ester. "The only thing i remember the most of that time was that when i was about to die from a falling piece of wood, you were able to alter its downfall, only to sprain your paw to save me." He said as she chuckled as she sat a bit behind the back of the crowd, remembering that time as well. "Neu, why don't you become a Royal Assistant? You could do the job as well since you were once a rogue." He said to her ear and she pulled her head back, only to make him tumble off as she caught him and huffed. "Maybe, though i don't know for sure....I haven't gotten a rank since the storm because i don't know what i can do my best at." She said softly as he climbed back on her head and curled up, listening to her.

[IC] Sikukuu Lands [IC]

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff