Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Barely-Knowns

Back to Guilds

A guild for all who are just faces in the Gaia crowd. 

Tags: barely, known, unknown, chill, ninja 

Reply The Barely-Knowns
T'was my birthday yesterday... Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

cheesy nipples

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:23 pm
Now I'm posting this here in the box for 2 reasons...
1. I need to say what I'm thinking and I know you guys will understand.

2. Out of the 9 or so messages I got for my birthday, 7 were from bkers.

Thank you in advance for allowing me to once again use this place as a sounding board. Please forgive me if I rabbit on.

So yeah. My birthday yesterday and apart from the people Facebook told, no one remembered.
Not even my parents.

I turned 28 this year and for my birthday I received nothing. Zip. Zilch. Nada.

No presents, no cards, no cake or candle to blow out. Not even a "happy birthday" from the family I live with.

Now, I sort of expected not to get anything. I do say I don't like to make a fuss about my birthday, but no one even saying happy birthday... I got to admit, that hurt, a lot.

I'm 28 and the only people who acknowledged my birthday are people Facebook told.

I mean, my own parents. I know we haven't spoken for a long time now but no card in the post, no phone call, no text message or email. Absolutely nothing.

In fact, on Facebook, the family I have added on there, no message from any of them.

I like to make out I'm this hard as tough guy that this sort of stuff doesn't bother, but I don't think I've ever been this hurt in my life.

I think, I think I have no family. Have I just been disowned by my entire family, including those I live with?
I have friends, people I talk to now and then.
My god, I feel so alone.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:30 pm
Nips, I'm really sorry if we've lost touch these past couple years. Ever since I graduated from college, life's lobbed me one hectic obstacle after another, and I've had to focus so much on finding a new job, searching for my own apartment, and making ends meet while still writing and playing music.

I will admit that Facebook had to remind me it was your birthday. But I'll be honest - I hardly remember most of my friend's birthdays. Hell, it took me over a year to remember that my girlfriend's birthday was March 2nd. And legitimately the only reason I remember my friend Chris's birthday is because of the 4/20 joke. I just hope the wish I gave you was still worth something, because it reminded me of you and how much I miss our little tiffs and exchanges.

It's easy to say that family is what you make of it, and family can be anyone, but it's hard as Hell to feel abandoned or ignored by the ones you share flesh and blood with. There is an inherent value of your parents and siblings, and I really cannot blame you for your thoughts right now. If I were in your shoes, and no one in my family remembered my birthday, I'd feel the exact same way.

Don't ever be afraid to hit me up in e-mail, whenever you see me on Facebook - Hell, I don't even mind a letter now and then. Every time I come onto the BK and see how quiet it is, I think about you and everyone else who made my Gaian experience so great and valuable in my day to day life. Please let me know whenever you need anything - I always keep the channel open, even if sometimes it takes me a bit to respond. heart  

Reeves
Captain

Dapper Dabbler

8,550 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Autobiographer 200

Violaceous Vertigo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:38 pm
I know how you feel, though for other reasons.
Part of why I haven't been crying about how alone I feel right now online in the hopes that someone would, ya know, make me feel less lonely is mostly because I'm afraid a friend will just answer back with "But what about me? I love your face!"

Which is great, because I'm happy to have friends, but I'd like to not have to cry about how soul-crushingly lonely I am before you invite me out, ya know?

At least I keep super close contact with my mom, who even came into town to make sure I was doing alright during this current episode of depression. I'm not even saying this to be melodramatic or anything, but without her I'm not sure I'd be alive.

Well, aside from the obvious bit where she's my mother and of course she's the reason I'm alive, blah blah blah. You know what I mean.

Anyway, rambling aside: I have a facetimernets and a skyperwebs and if you gimme your address I will mail you glittery lobster postcards. Plus, I'm the closest to you in out of the North American BKers, so there's only about 4 hours time difference. XD

WE SHOULD CHAT ABOUT HOW LONELY WE ARE WHILE CRYING INTO WINE GLASSES. THAT WILL TOTALLY MAKE US FEEL BETTER.

But yeah. Feeling lonely really, really sucks. I can't imagine how it must feel to have a birthday ignored by family. sad

As for fb well wishes though, don't be too quick to dismiss it: Most people forget most of their friend's birthdays, and don't really do much for them unless the person having the birthday is making a bit of a fuss about it.
In fact, a thing I've learned about life in general is that unless you make a fuss about it, no one else will think of it for you.

Of course fuss-making can occasionally backfire in the form of people getting you absolutely hideous presents for birthdays/Christmas simply because the hideous thing happened to be purple/whatever you make a fuss of. lol

A fb happy birthday is still usually given with love, even if it needed a little prompting.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:43 pm
I'm not too bothered about Facebook having to remind people as I am about the family forgetting.
It just hurt, twas all. And having most of those wishes coming from you guys just makes me wanna be over there instead of stuck here.

And thanks for the offers. Both sound pretty good. Lol.  

cheesy nipples

Reeves
Captain

Dapper Dabbler

8,550 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:28 pm
While crying into wine glasses wouldn't be much fun, what if those glasses were filled with...well, wine?

Could be good. wink  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:23 am
Reeves
While crying into wine glasses wouldn't be much fun, what if those glasses were filled with...well, wine?

Could be good. wink

Well yes, you drink all of the wine out of the glasses first, then you start sobbing. Duh. rolleyes  

Violaceous Vertigo

Reeves
Captain

Dapper Dabbler

8,550 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:20 pm
No, no, you refill it! Refilling's always a good solution!  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:10 am
Reeves
No, no, you refill it! Refilling's always a good solution!

I agree!
Hm. Perhaps we will need something else to cry into. Maybe facial tissues or ice-cream buckets then? (After eating the ice cream, of course)  

Violaceous Vertigo

Reeves
Captain

Dapper Dabbler

8,550 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:12 pm
Maybe jars? Like mason jars?  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:33 pm
Why does there have to be crying? No crying. Drink wine until you don't want to cry.  

cheesy nipples

Reeves
Captain

Dapper Dabbler

8,550 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:38 am
Well, crying can mean emotional release. So while you're indulging in le booze, you're cleansing yourself of sorrow. It's a win-win.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:07 am
Great. Glad I could help. Now, if there's anything else I can help "release" while we're drinking. wink  

cheesy nipples

Reeves
Captain

Dapper Dabbler

8,550 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:11 pm
I'll stick with my girlfriend for that release, thanks. razz  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:45 pm
Spoil sport. No drunken fun?