Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Alternative Lifestyles Guild

Back to Guilds

A safe place for anyone who identifies with the LGBTQ(IP) community and their allies. 

Tags: lesbian, gays, queer, transgender, LGBT 

Reply 03. Entertainment [Music, Art, Television, Movies, etc.]
Creating a Social Network (Not dating site) for LGBT?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TheWalkingThread

Fashionable Conversationalist

3,650 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:38 am
Okay,

So I wanted to pose this idea to everyone. I currently own and operate a Social Network for the city I live in here in China and it's taken off pretty quickly with the amount of members that have been joining.

However, I've noticed LGBT websites are usually geared towards dating. Even the more social sites are pretty much "dating" websites for a lack of a better term.

I was wondering. If I build a LGBT website with a timeline and a lot of the same features as facebook, without all the stupid ads or app requests. Would anyone join or be in to help?  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:18 am
I'd totally join. I avoid dating sites of all kind, and I'm not a big fan of how Facebook works. I would love to join a site similar to FB that catered to LGBTQA people, without the dating feel, or even feeling like it's just another Facebook.

I'd love to help you, too, but I'm in no way tech savvy. I also don't have the time or resources to help any other way. Sorry. But I'll definitely be one of the firsts to check it out of you ever make this site!  

Sea Thrift

Hygienic Browser

TheWalkingThread

3,650 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:27 am
Sea Thrift
I'd totally join. I avoid dating sites of all kind, and I'm not a big fan of how Facebook works. I would love to join a site similar to FB that catered to LGBTQA people, without the dating feel, or even feeling like it's just another Facebook.

I'd love to help you, too, but I'm in no way tech savvy. I also don't have the time or resources to help any other way. Sorry. But I'll definitely be one of the firsts to check it out of you ever make this site!

Haha. Well the help would be mostly promotion and getting the site known. It wouldn't take me super long to set one up. But I need to know it's not a wasted idea.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:48 pm
I would join if it's free.  

colon bracket
Crew

Eloquent Fatcat

7,350 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50

TheWalkingThread

3,650 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:56 pm
colon bracket
I would join if it's free.
Of course it would be free.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:57 am
Sounds like an awesome idea 3nodding

I do some graphic design stuff, and also a little bit of programming. Could contribute ideas/design/minimal programming if needed?  

ShalomTheStargazer

Festive Cutesmasher

9,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Marathon 300

RyugaHayabusa

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:34 pm
Count me in. I don't do dating sites, because I am not the promiscuous type, and most men on there are just looking for an easy lay, which I am, but that is besides the point. sweatdrop

I know only a few LGBTQ people, and would love to talk to more people like me. My straight friends accept me, but they crack jokes about me a lot, which I tend to turn around on them to the amusement of all, but still, they tend to be a bit immature at times.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:52 am
TheWalkingThread
Okay,

So I wanted to pose this idea to everyone. I currently own and operate a Social Network for the city I live in here in China and it's taken off pretty quickly with the amount of members that have been joining.

However, I've noticed LGBT websites are usually geared towards dating. Even the more social sites are pretty much "dating" websites for a lack of a better term.

I was wondering. If I build a LGBT website with a timeline and a lot of the same features as facebook, without all the stupid ads or app requests. Would anyone join or be in to help?

I would totally join because I would like to have more friends who are gay, bi, trans, andro, queer! It's an amazing idea and you should totally go for it babe!  

Akatsuka Kun

Newbie Gaian

Dr. OCD

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:39 am
Sounds very interesting. I personally would probably not join because I am living stealth, but I think that it is a great idea for other people! :]  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:59 am
I would join for sure, it's a wonderful idea! c:  

Nyumonster

Skilled Rogue

03. Entertainment [Music, Art, Television, Movies, etc.]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out