Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Anyone familiar with Bast? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:41 am
Zabora Lionheart
X-Yami-no-Ko-X
Zabora Lionheart
Quote:

What a lot of people don't realize about Egyptian mythology is there ends up being a lot of mixing and over lap. And that's because it wasn't one huge unified religion all across the country.

Completely true and even then different generations wotshiped dfferent gods in the same area. I think I should have said mirror instead of twin.

I don't even think I would call them mirrors of each other. They still have different mythology. Its kinda like the situation with Anpu and Wepwawet. People will say they're one in the same because their mythology is similar.

Oh im not talking about their mythology but their attrabutes. Like both being feirce protectors and Goddesses of the sun. Im kinda new to the Egyptian pantheon I just ordered the book of the dead and a book on their mythology. I know they arnt totaly the same but they do have overlapping attrabutes. This my well be because like you said it is not a unified religion even after upper and lower egypt merged. Each brought their own gods with them and suddonly Hathor has been obsorbed by Isis and Ra has merged with Osirus and Ptah.

Attributes that's what I meant. I was distracted by other things yesterday.

Once you start digging you'll see more and more overlap than just Hathor and Isis and Ra and the other solar and creator deities. Personally I think people either don't realize or don't acknowledge that Egyptian mythology spans over thousands of years and that each city, nome, and pharaoh had their set of deities so there is going to be overlap.

Another note that I don't think people realize either is when people say things like oh Goddess X is Goddess Y are the same because they have similar attributes, that that's pretty much the same thing that gets said when a person comes to power would say to get the people to accept the new deities.

And out of curiosity, which version of the Book of the Dead and which book?  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:04 am
X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Attributes that's what I meant. I was distracted by other things yesterday.

Once you start digging you'll see more and more overlap than just Hathor and Isis and Ra and the other solar and creator deities. Personally I think people either don't realize or don't acknowledge that Egyptian mythology spans over thousands of years and that each city, nome, and pharaoh had their set of deities so there is going to be overlap.

Another note that I don't think people realize either is when people say things like oh Goddess X is Goddess Y are the same because they have similar attributes, that that's pretty much the same thing that gets said when a person comes to power would say to get the people to accept the new deities.

And out of curiosity, which version of the Book of the Dead and which book?

I ordered the one by R.O. Faulkner and a mythology book by Geraldine Pinch its a college textbook printed by Oxford I believe.  

Zabora Lionheart

Tipsy Sex Symbol

9,850 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Millionaire 200

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:35 am
Zabora Lionheart
I ordered the one by R.O. Faulkner and a mythology book by Geraldine Pinch its a college textbook printed by Oxford I believe.

Wonderful. Faulkner and Pinch are wonderful sources. I can link you to some more if you would like.

Though I think I need to organize the list better since it's kind of long.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:23 am
X-Yami-no-Ko-X
Zabora Lionheart

Wonderful. Faulkner and Pinch are wonderful sources. I can link you to some more if you would like.

Though I think I need to organize the list better since it's kind of long.

That would be fantastic take your time. I read through like 100 reviews the good the bad and the ok's. What about Egyptian mythology by Veronica Ions? It had some rave reviews and seems to stick with just the mythology at least thats what most reviews say.  

Zabora Lionheart

Tipsy Sex Symbol

9,850 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Millionaire 200

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:19 pm
Zabora Lionheart
That would be fantastic take your time. I read through like 100 reviews the good the bad and the ok's. What about Egyptian mythology by Veronica Ions? It had some rave reviews and seems to stick with just the mythology at least thats what most reviews say.

I haven't heard of that one before. I can ask around if you would like. Linky to my lists of resources This one is specifically the book list

My two stay away from recommendations are:
Coming into the Light by Gerald and Betty Schueler
Any books on Egypt by E.A. Wallis Budge

I might have another one that'll get added to that list. Whenever I decided to take it out of the trunk of my car and actually try to read past the first chapter.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:10 am
X-Yami-no-Ko-X
Zabora Lionheart

I haven't heard of that one before. I can ask around if you would like. Linky to my lists of resources This one is specifically the book list

I might have another one that'll get added to that list. Whenever I decided to take it out of the trunk of my car and actually try to read past the first chapter.
well its good I didnt get any of Budge's work then. Alot of people say its out of date and some wrong info.  

Zabora Lionheart

Tipsy Sex Symbol

9,850 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Millionaire 200

Zabora Lionheart

Tipsy Sex Symbol

9,850 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:11 am
X-Yami-no-Ko-X
Zabora Lionheart

well its good I didnt get any of Budge's work then. Alot of people say its out of date and some wrong info.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:23 pm
Zabora Lionheart

I don't recommend Budge because his translations are drowning in Christian influence. Even on a "simple" translation of one version of the Book of the Dead Egyptologists can't even agree on what the papyri say.

But yes a good rule of thumb is the more recent the better when it comes to stuff like that. I had started reading Conceptions of God in Ancient Egypt: The One and the Many by Erik Hornung and the intro is the evolution of how many gods Egyptologists thought the Ancient Egyptians had worshiped. Its a little mind boggling to think there were people who seriously thought there was only one. But then we have the KO and their loud people who say they were soft-poly. cat_rolleyes  

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100

Zabora Lionheart

Tipsy Sex Symbol

9,850 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:35 am
X-Yami-no-Ko-X
Zabora Lionheart

I don't recommend Budge because his translations are drowning in Christian influence. Even on a "simple" translation of one version of the Book of the Dead Egyptologists can't even agree on what the papyri say.

But yes a good rule of thumb is the more recent the better when it comes to stuff like that. I had started reading Conceptions of God in Ancient Egypt: The One and the Many by Erik Hornung and the intro is the evolution of how many gods Egyptologists thought the Ancient Egyptians had worshiped. Its a little mind boggling to think there were people who seriously thought there was only one. But then we have the KO and their loud people who say they were soft-poly. cat_rolleyes
I actually have a question about a book on your list. Egyptian paganism for beginners I was told its alot of this is how you cast circle and here are the gods now go do wicca with them rather then it being true egyptian rituals. Is that so? I am highly interested in Sekhmet and Ptah and didnt want to offend them by throwing them into a wiccan structured worship. And damn thats alot of books. Thanks for the list.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:58 am
Zabora Lionheart
X-Yami-no-Ko-X
Zabora Lionheart

I actually have a question about a book on your list. Egyptian paganism for beginners I was told its alot of this is how you cast circle and here are the gods now go do wicca with them rather then it being true egyptian rituals. Is that so? I am highly interested in Sekhmet and Ptah and didnt want to offend them by throwing them into a wiccan structured worship. And damn thats alot of books. Thanks for the list.

That's one that I haven't been able to get my hands on but has been suggested by others who follow Egyptian deities. And is part of why I need to organize that list. At least two of the books (assuming I do have... I forget the name. The Ellen Reed book) are not really books for those who want to be strictly recon/revivalist/whatever else is associated with Kemetic, rather they're something more toward what's been called Tameran witchcraft. I did have a Tameran in that guild at one point but then she flaked. Tameran witchcraft is basically Wicca-flavored Kemeticism. I have no idea if it does offend them or make uncomfortable. When I started following Egyptian deities I started heading towards strictly recon rather than something Wicca-esque.  

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100

Zabora Lionheart

Tipsy Sex Symbol

9,850 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:42 am
X-Yami-no-Ko-X
Zabora Lionheart
X-Yami-no-Ko-X
Zabora Lionheart

That's one that I haven't been able to get my hands on but has been suggested by others who follow Egyptian deities. And is part of why I need to organize that list. At least two of the books (assuming I do have... I forget the name. The Ellen Reed book) are not really books for those who want to be strictly recon/revivalist/whatever else is associated with Kemetic, rather they're something more toward what's been called Tameran witchcraft. I did have a Tameran in that guild at one point but then she flaked. Tameran witchcraft is basically Wicca-flavored Kemeticism. I have no idea if it does offend them or make uncomfortable. When I started following Egyptian deities I started heading towards strictly recon rather than something Wicca-esque.
I think I will start with Tameran witchcraft. I did invoke Sekhmet as a protector of the innocent in a spell I did for my husband who was being unjustly bullied by his boss with extreamly positive results. His manager stopped targeting him and even apologized. Thanks again for the info.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:55 am
Zabora Lionheart
I think I will start with Tameran witchcraft. I did invoke Sekhmet as a protector of the innocent in a spell I did for my husband who was being unjustly bullied by his boss with extreamly positive results. His manager stopped targeting him and even apologized. Thanks again for the info.

That's fine. I didn't see a reason for me to go the Wicca-esque route. Others might feel more comfortable with it. *shrug* Its when people stop being respectful that I start having issues with it.  

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100

Zabora Lionheart

Tipsy Sex Symbol

9,850 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:04 pm
X-Yami-no-Ko-X
Zabora Lionheart

That's fine. I didn't see a reason for me to go the Wicca-esque route. Others might feel more comfortable with it. *shrug* Its when people stop being respectful that I start having issues with it.

Imma put reaserch into both and who knows might go the way of recon...I just dont think I should stop being a witch while I study. I am a big believer in knowing what im doing first before I do any work so dont think imma jump the gun here. Thanks for the reaserch info and book list. I have looked at a few of them on books.google.com and found a few more I would like to get.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:26 pm
Zabora Lionheart
Imma put reaserch into both and who knows might go the way of recon...I just dont think I should stop being a witch while I study. I am a big believer in knowing what im doing first before I do any work so dont think imma jump the gun here. Thanks for the reaserch info and book list. I have looked at a few of them on books.google.com and found a few more I would like to get.

You can still be a witch while being a recon. I do witchy things outside of my Kemetic practices. I just don't mix the two because Kemetics have their own "magical" practice.  

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games