Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Alternative Lifestyles Guild

Back to Guilds

A safe place for anyone who identifies with the LGBTQ(IP) community and their allies. 

Tags: lesbian, gays, queer, transgender, LGBT 

Reply 06. "Life Issues" - Advice & Counseling
Would you date... Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

the Winter Nocturne

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:11 am
someone who has a kid?

I feel like it's going to be nearly impossible to find a man/woman I like because I have a daughter. I also just had terrible luck with dating in the first place and I could never figure out why.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:58 am
Hmmm, I'd have to consider it. I'm not good with, or particularly fond of, children, but I'd be likely to give a woman with a kid a chance. It's possible that I could stomach dealing with a child for the right woman (the hypothesis has yet to be tested, though).  

Verienkeli

Girl-Crazy Genius

Fuit Gummy

Sweet Gaian

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:57 am
Yeah, I would. I don't know how to explain
why, it's complicated.... O .o Sorry that's not very helpful.

I can understand the intimidation of dating someone with a kid though.
Whether it's because they're not good with kids or if it's just because
they know they won't ever be that child's real parent.
(Meaning... Not liking them, I guess?)

I dunno, those are my 2 cents. ^^
Don't be discouraged~

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:38 pm
the Winter Nocturne
someone who has a kid?

I feel like it's going to be nearly impossible to find a man/woman I like because I have a daughter. I also just had terrible luck with dating in the first place and I could never figure out why.

i would be ok with it  

minerva mink 01

Fashionable Genius

jejunum

Tipsy Fatcat

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:42 pm
I would.
I have no plans for kids of my own, but thats because pregnancy is a horribly terrifying idea to me. Also, I've always been good with dealing with kids and babies, though. And helping someone I liked with their kids (if it ever came to that) would be simple.
Someone will be out there, who'll like you for you, and not mind, or even really like the kid.  
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:56 pm
Verienkeli

I can understand not liking children. I honestly don't like most children other and even I, myself, would be a bit iffy about getting in a relationship with someone else with a child.

Brommiel

Those are good points. I feel like it'd be easier if the child was small. For instance, my little girl is just a baby, not even a year old yet. I also feel like just because a person is not the biological parent, if things progress in a relationship where they are serious life partners, I think that the spouse is a real parent... even if it's not blood. Does that make any sense?

queen cardinal

That's awesome. : )

Miss Alaineus

Pregnancy is horribly terrifying. I can't believe I actually went through with the whole thing after I found out about my little surprise. - _- Regardless, that's great! : ) I'm always happy when people are so very open to all kinds of things. And, thank you, I hope there really is someone out there someday. Haha.  

the Winter Nocturne

Nyumonster

Skilled Rogue

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:41 am
Oh wow, you have a child now? OuO Congrats! <3
As for the question, well, I have two kids myself, but I think I would date someone who also had kids, if me and the father of my kids were to break up.  
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 10:58 am
I wouldn't, but that doesn't mean that others wouldn't.

My friend is dating a guy who has a 2 year old.  

colon bracket
Crew

Eloquent Fatcat

7,350 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50

the Winter Nocturne

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:27 am
Nyumonster
Oh wow, you have a child now? OuO Congrats! <3
As for the question, well, I have two kids myself, but I think I would date someone who also had kids, if me and the father of my kids were to break up.

Salla! It's been ages! :3 Congrats on your newest addition to your family. But yes, I had a little accident and now have a lovely little girl. As you will see, since you found me on FB. biggrin  
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 4:36 pm
I used to say yes with no hesitation as I have my own children... now I hesitate. I've had too many people use their children against me manipulating me to stay in relationships that he gone sour saying I was leaving their children when really we could have stayed friends but they were immature about it.

It's a matter of maturity. When you involve children you need to be aware that they get attached to people more easily so it will be harder if it doesn't work out. It's also best to be aware that you should wait a long while of dating someone before introducing them to your child.... and then watch their behavior closely not everyone is equipped to handle children properly.  

Sugarrocks

Profitable Lunatic

10,700 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

the Winter Nocturne

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 4:42 pm
Sugarrocks
I used to say yes with no hesitation as I have my own children... now I hesitate. I've had too many people use their children against me manipulating me to stay in relationships that he gone sour saying I was leaving their children when really we could have stayed friends but they were immature about it.

It's a matter of maturity. When you involve children you need to be aware that they get attached to people more easily so it will be harder if it doesn't work out. It's also best to be aware that you should wait a long while of dating someone before introducing them to your child.... and then watch their behavior closely not everyone is equipped to handle children properly.

Ohh, of course! My little dove shall not know if I am dating anyone. She's much to young to understand right now (only nine months old) but I would only bring her around friends and family, and should I ever date again, my partner will only be a friend in her eyes if they ever meet.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 10:24 pm
If I have absolutely the right connection with someone and am confident that it would work out, I would totally date them, whether they have kids or not.

But, as I said, it would have to be the right connection. If they have kids, I'd definitely not want to jump into a relationship without getting to know someone deeply enough to feel comfortable that it would work out. I wouldn't want to be the cause of a really bad memory in a young child's life, particularly because things from your childhood can really stick, and even cause major issues later in life.

Starlight Minako

Fashionable Genius

7,200 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Timid 100

Ky_the_22nd

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 1:29 pm
I can't give my personal experience because I've never had one, but I can share my brother's story. biggrin About three and a half years ago, my brother met my sister-in-law at the library. They hit it off quite well, but he didn't know she had two children from a previous marriage. I remember how nervous he was the day he was going to meet them. He had all sorts of questions that I couldn't answer about how to act or what to say to them. To make this story a bit shorter I'll just jump ahead to now. My brother ended up adopting them after he married their mother and they have an awesome family now. [They even call him Daddy].
My point is, if you find someone that loves you for who you are, they won't care if you have a kid, or several. They will figure it out. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 5:36 pm
Personally, I have no problem dating someone with a child.
The child(s) is part of that person's life and if I do care about them, then the child(s) are just as important to me as well. Besides, I can't procreate in the way I wish I could, so, if the other person has a child, bonus for me lol

But reasons as to why not some people may avoid the child thing because it could signify "settling down", may not like kids, may not feel like they can raise a kid, or just not ready for children in their life.  

FauxZombie

06. "Life Issues" - Advice & Counseling

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces