Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Community Christian Church

Back to Guilds

The Online Church & Bible Study 

Tags: Christian, Community, Jesus, Bible, Church 

Reply Gaian Community Christian Church Main Forum
Ever had a special attachment to an object?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lunis Lacrimosa

Friendly Lunatic

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:21 am
I'm sure everyone has, at some point at least. For me, it's my first Pullip doll named Xanthe. It's been just under a year since I bought her (in January) but I have a stronger attachment to her than just about anything else I can remember. I've bought three other dolls from the Pullip family since, but Xanthe is still the most special. What am I getting at here? I feel bad to have such an emotional attachment to an object. Because no matter how much I modify her, how much I put my heart into her, how much personality I give her, she's still just an object. There was a nearby tornado one day and my mom was yelling at me to get down to the basement. And what did I do? Run like a mad lady through my room grabbing all my little dolls to take them down with me. Normal people would do that for their children, not dolls. redface I know it's because I've put so much work and effort into her. I even handmade her eyes to have a kaleidoscope design.

I feel bad to have such a strong attachment to an object, and it sometimes scares me to think that God's plan for my future may destroy her somehow. But I wouldn't put a doll before God. I just remember that she is just an object made by people. And if she does get broken it was God's decision and I'm certainly not one to fuss about it.

What's the point of all this? I'm not sure. Maybe I just needed to say it somehow. Or find out if anyone else has a similar attachment.
Or just get opinions on whether you think I'm crazy or not. xd

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:41 am
Lunis Lacrimosa
I'm sure everyone has, at some point at least. For me, it's my first Pullip doll named Xanthe. It's been just under a year since I bought her (in January) but I have a stronger attachment to her than just about anything else I can remember. I've bought three other dolls from the Pullip family since, but Xanthe is still the most special. What am I getting at here? I feel bad to have such an emotional attachment to an object. Because no matter how much I modify her, how much I put my heart into her, how much personality I give her, she's still just an object. There was a nearby tornado one day and my mom was yelling at me to get down to the basement. And what did I do? Run like a mad lady through my room grabbing all my little dolls to take them down with me. Normal people would do that for their children, not dolls. redface I know it's because I've put so much work and effort into her. I even handmade her eyes to have a kaleidoscope design.

I feel bad to have such a strong attachment to an object, and it sometimes scares me to think that God's plan for my future may destroy her somehow. But I wouldn't put a doll before God. I just remember that she is just an object made by people. And if she does get broken it was God's decision and I'm certainly not one to fuss about it.

What's the point of all this? I'm not sure. Maybe I just needed to say it somehow. Or find out if anyone else has a similar attachment.

Hi I do not think your crazy. I also collect Pullip Dolls and I have my favorites as well. I also collect Antiques and I have quite a few antique books witch I am very attached to. I have a favorite Doll in my case it's Fantastic Alice if my house were to catch fire or like you said a tornado were to hit I would more than likely try to save as many of my things as I could. I think it is normal for humans to be this way as long as we know what is really important. I love my Dolls and all my collectibles but I would never choose them over a loved one or my doggies smile So as long as we keep our attachment to these objects in perspective I do not think there is anything wrong with it but that is just my opinion. Also it is nice to meet a fellow Pullip collector smile  

Victoria Whitechapel

7,400 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Window Shopper 100

Lunis Lacrimosa

Friendly Lunatic

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:44 pm
Victoria Whitechapel
Lunis Lacrimosa

Hi I do not think your crazy. I also collect Pullip Dolls and I have my favorites as well. I also collect Antiques and I have quite a few antique books witch I am very attached to. I have a favorite Doll in my case it's Fantastic Alice if my house were to catch fire or like you said a tornado were to hit I would more than likely try to save as many of my things as I could. I think it is normal for humans to be this way as long as we know what is really important. I love my Dolls and all my collectibles but I would never choose them over a loved one or my doggies smile So as long as we keep our attachment to these objects in perspective I do not think there is anything wrong with it but that is just my opinion. Also it is nice to meet a fellow Pullip collector smile

Thank you! whee I'm surprised there's another Pullip collector here as well, I certainly wasn't expecting that. lol Thanks for your comment, it makes me feel a little better. I try to keep things in perspective as best I can, but I still often feel bad about it. But I do agree with you. As long as we keep things in proper perspective, I think it is okay for the most part. Seems like it's the nature of humans to be drawn to objects, especially in this day and age. We just have to remember what's most important.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:28 pm
In life, there are times when we become attached to an object whether it's emotionally, physically, or spiritually. As a kid, I remember having those few favorite toys that I felt I couldn't live without. As I grew older, and didn't use them as much - I realized that there are other kids that would enjoy those objects more than I would - kids that would use them and would be so excited to actually get a toy. It could change a whole kid's world around. I donated a lot of my stuff as I got older.

At a time in my life - computer was my addiction. I needed it every waking moment. I would push myself to stay on the computer even when I was tired because it was all mine for that time. I would put off my physical needs for the sake of that computer. I was hopelessly addicted to it. I became addicted because I was at home often and didn't have many friends and I didn't have anywhere to go outside away from the house. I remember one time my Dad told me, "You know, there will be no computer in Heaven?" and I knew I was terrible when I thought deep in my heart, "No computer? How would I live?" I knew I had a problem.Although, once I did meet real life people and get out more - it helped me a lot. I realized how less and less I needed the computer.

I'm more non-materialistic than most people. I can live without getting birthday gifts or Christmas gifts. I tell them they don't have to get anything for me, and can recommend they donate money they'd spend on me on someone in need - like to buy a gift for a toy donation or something of that sort ^_^ I have learned not to get too attached to objects because they simply don't live forever. Anyone could buy that brand new thing, and it could break on the way home. I remember I was so excited to get this one CD, and I got it and was trying to open it on the way home in the car and it was being stubborn. I finally almost got it open, I pulled that last piece of plastic and I'm not sure what happened, but the CD case cracked - yeah, that annoyed me, but I shrugged it off and life goes on.

Overtime, I've realized that anything can break at anytime and objects aren't always made to last forever so I just accept that as fact and don't invest my time in an object because it's not worth all my time and effort. If I ever do find myself favoring an object too much, I just remember that God is alive and will be there forever - far longer than any object will exist. God can take that object away, see if it's destroyed, send someone to take it, etc. so investing our time in God is far more valuable 3nodding  

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500

Victoria Whitechapel

7,400 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Window Shopper 100
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:41 pm
Aquatic_blue
In life, there are times when we become attached to an object whether it's emotionally, physically, or spiritually. As a kid, I remember having those few favorite toys that I felt I couldn't live without. As I grew older, and didn't use them as much - I realized that there are other kids that would enjoy those objects more than I would - kids that would use them and would be so excited to actually get a toy. It could change a whole kid's world around. I donated a lot of my stuff as I got older.

At a time in my life - computer was my addiction. I needed it every waking moment. I would push myself to stay on the computer even when I was tired because it was all mine for that time. I would put off my physical needs for the sake of that computer. I was hopelessly addicted to it. I became addicted because I was at home often and didn't have many friends and I didn't have anywhere to go outside away from the house. I remember one time my Dad told me, "You know, there will be no computer in Heaven?" and I knew I was terrible when I thought deep in my heart, "No computer? How would I live?" I knew I had a problem.Although, once I did meet real life people and get out more - it helped me a lot. I realized how less and less I needed the computer.

I'm more non-materialistic than most people. I can live without getting birthday gifts or Christmas gifts. I tell them they don't have to get anything for me, and can recommend they donate money they'd spend on me on someone in need - like to buy a gift for a toy donation or something of that sort ^_^ I have learned not to get too attached to objects because they simply don't live forever. Anyone could buy that brand new thing, and it could break on the way home. I remember I was so excited to get this one CD, and I got it and was trying to open it on the way home in the car and it was being stubborn. I finally almost got it open, I pulled that last piece of plastic and I'm not sure what happened, but the CD case cracked - yeah, that annoyed me, but I shrugged it off and life goes on.

Overtime, I've realized that anything can break at anytime and objects aren't always made to last forever so I just accept that as fact and don't invest my time in an object because it's not worth all my time and effort. If I ever do find myself favoring an object too much, I just remember that God is alive and will be there forever - far longer than any object will exist. God can take that object away, see if it's destroyed, send someone to take it, etc. so investing our time in God is far more valuable 3nodding

I am addicted to collecting I have to admit between my Dolls and my Antiques I spend quite a bit of money and time. Do you think that's bad? I just would like to know your opinion.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:58 pm
Victoria Whitechapel
Aquatic_blue

I am addicted to collecting I have to admit between my Dolls and my Antiques I spend quite a bit of money and time. Do you think that's bad? I just would like to know your opinion.

I wouldn't call it "bad" because everybody has their own hobbies and they choose what to spend their money on. What needs to be asked is are you spending so much money on them that you can't get by in life? Is it becoming an actual problem?

Spiritually, make sure you know where your heart is at with God and to spend more time with God than with your dolls and antiques. Or, when you spend your time on the antiques and dolls, that you involve God some how. Know where your heart, mind, and body lie with God. If I asked you, "If you died today - knowing you could never see your dolls again - how would you feel? Would you feel sad without them?" If you feel more attached to your dolls and antiques than you do with God then I'd consider it a problem that needs to be worked on because God is the one that gave us the free will to buy items and cherish them, but if God can give you something, he can take it away, too.

I apologize for my late response - haven't had internet for a while >_<  

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500

Ajani Kai

Gracious Friend

6,300 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:43 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I can relate to the attachment of objects. When I was younger I was addicted to collecting as many HOT WHEELS as possible! I had more cars in my collection than my boy cousins! As I grew up, those collections were lost when they got stolen (I know the thief but I will not name him). I was devastated. I tried to collect the cars all over again, but by that time I'd grown up - my tastes had changed.

I collect Angels of all makes and shapes and colors. Lambs too. I have a very large collection of both now and I would be incredibly heartbroken if I should loose those objects...

However, If some disaster should strike and I lose them... true it will sadden me and make me hurt emotionally, but then again, God will have rescued my life. I'm still alive which means, I can continue my life. Rebuild and move on.

It's how I see it...

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:27 am
You know, I had never thought of it, but this sounds a little like my attachment to my baby blanket. (Haha, yes, I know). I'm 23, but I still sleep with my blanket almost every night (unless it's in the laundry or I'm travelling). It has a lot of memories in it - I have cried into it countless times, hid under it when I was scared, and had all the ranges of good dreams and nightmares with it.

In some ways, it might be a little unhealthy to have such an attachment to a simple object, but to me I think it's all about how you view it. I don't think that my blanket itself has any sort of special power, but its existence as a tangible reminder of my own personal trials and tribulations does make me stronger, I think. It's the fact that I survived through those struggles that my blanket represents, more than its particular part in the matter.

So I mean... yes, materialism to an excessive degree can be a problem. But if it exists in a healthy way to remind us of our greater spiritual needs and callings, then I think that's fine. After all, we are humans of a tangible form - it only makes sense that we react to tangible things sometimes.

Keakealani

Intellectual Elocutionist

12,850 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Timid 100
  • Millionaire 200

Victoria Whitechapel

7,400 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Window Shopper 100
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:02 am
Aquatic_blue
Victoria Whitechapel
Aquatic_blue

I wouldn't call it "bad" because everybody has their own hobbies and they choose what to spend their money on. What needs to be asked is are you spending so much money on them that you can't get by in life? Is it becoming an actual problem?

Spiritually, make sure you know where your heart is at with God and to spend more time with God than with your dolls and antiques. Or, when you spend your time on the antiques and dolls, that you involve God some how. Know where your heart, mind, and body lie with God. If I asked you, "If you died today - knowing you could never see your dolls again - how would you feel? Would you feel sad without them?" If you feel more attached to your dolls and antiques than you do with God then I'd consider it a problem that needs to be worked on because God is the one that gave us the free will to buy items and cherish them, but if God can give you something, he can take it away, too.

Your right lately I have been having to stop myself from buying them because I need the money to pay bills and all. Also I am running out of places to put them in the little house I rent lol  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:01 pm
Victoria Whitechapel
Aquatic_blue
Victoria Whitechapel
Aquatic_blue

Your right lately I have been having to stop myself from buying them because I need the money to pay bills and all. Also I am running out of places to put them in the little house I rent lol

Definitely make sure bills and everything are taken care of first and you actively read God's word and involve Him in the things you do smile also, if you still want to collect dolls, perhaps buy one once in a while - like save up your money to buy one that you want, it may feel more rewarding that way to get a new one once in a while. Although, the choices on how you personally need to deal with your situation are up to you smile  

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500

SaiyukiTakashi

Gracious Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:52 pm
I have a violin. I constantly played it every day for hours. Though that was due to school, my private lessons, the symphony I was in, and just for fun! I was so attached it and still am. I have many good memories and some bad ones. I love it though because the music I make makes people happy. I love being able to make people happy and I love music, especially classical. I think it's important for someone to be able to perform old Beethoven and Dvorak properly. Be able to bring it to light and help educate people on music. I don't play anymore (I'm in a dorm with very thin walls) but I definitely will in the future. That being said, If there was ever disaster, i think the only thing I'd bring with me is my violin. If God didn't want me to have it, it would've been stolen when my house was broken into. (It's worth almost 3,000$ with everything that's in my case). So I'm thankful I still have it  
Gaian Community Christian Church Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games