Smith vs. Kaepernick! A 49ers Dilema

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Cookie Icer
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:33 am
It was a debate that was stirring through the season, but didn't get a whole lot of notice, that was, until Monday night. You want a QB Controversy in San Francisco? You Got IT!

After last weeks Tie with the St. Louis Rams the 49ers were left to wonder if Alex Smith would return in time for the bit Monday night match up against the Chicago Bears after suffering a concussion. But after being ruled out for failing to pass the procedure as late as Sunday, head coach Jim Harbaugh decided to go with second year player Colin Kaepernick out of UNR to start against a tough 7-2 Bears team which boasts arguably the best defense in the league. In a game which will see two of the top defenses in the league, and two back up QB's playing against them, many expected to see a very low scoring game with lots of mistakes from both offenses.

I've been a supporter of Colin Kaepernick since day 1, but even I didn't expect to see what he would do to one of the leagues top defenses Monday night. Kaepernick shredded the top notch Bears D with 16 of 23 completions, 2 TD, no INT and the highest QB rating for a first time starting QB in the last 5 years! Topping RGIII, Aaron Rodgers and Tim Tebow. With Colin at the helm he made the 49ers offense look "Superbowl Worthy" as some journalists have put it. And many people now see why Harbaugh waited to take him in the second round of last years draft rather than take Blaine Gabbart who literally fell into their laps in the first round.

By leading the 49ers to a 32-7 rout of the THEN NFC North leading Chicago Bears, many are already calling to have Kaepernick remain in the starting spot going into next weeks game against the New Orleans Saints.

But is Alex Smith so easy to forget about? Going back to their game against the Arizona Cardinals, Smith has completed 25 of 27 pass attempts and 3 TDs before being knocked out in last weeks game against against the Rams. At one point he was #1 in the league in overall QB rating and remains in the top 10. Last season he led the 49ers to an improbably playoff run that nearly led to their first Superbowl appearance in 15 years. And is on pace to having the best season of his career after resurrecting his career last season.

So the question now is, Smith or Kaepernick? Smith has earned the right to lead this team and deserves to finish out the season he started, but on the flip side Kaepernick led a 49ers offense that looked unstoppable, especially against a Bears Defense that ranked 2 in the league in total points allowed (49ers #1) and has created the most turn overs. Even Harbaugh won't commit to a starting QB next week, saying that he likes to go with the QB with the hot hands, and as of right now he has two of them. He may get lucky and not be forced to make that decision if the doctors refuse to give Alex Smith the green light, but if they do, do you start him? Or the current flavor of the week in Colin Kaepernick?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:30 am
I think Smith needs to stay the starter. Yeah, K-guy (I'm too lazy to spell out his full name) was good, but maybe he was just lucky. I'd like to see more before I say he should start over Smith.  

Sincerely Metalhead

Omnipresent Genius

6,125 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Hygienic 200

Sincerely Metalhead

Omnipresent Genius

6,125 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:03 am
Ok, he should start over Smith.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:04 pm
Being a 49ers fan I would prefer Smith staying the starting QB.  

Hittin Licks

Rich Gaian

10,200 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Timid 100
  • Overstocked 200
The NFL Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items