Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
READ ME FIRST: Rules, FAQs, & More

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:47 pm
Welcome, and thank you for showing an interest in the Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance!

Table of Contents

• 1st post: Rules
  • 2nd post: Respecting Others & Handling Conflicts
  • 3rd post: Guild FAQs & Terminology
  • 4th post: Guild Crew
  • 5th post: Resources for starting a GSA or LGBTQ group
  • 6th post: Banners

Please read over the following rules. They'll let you know what content is and isn't allowed in the guild, and what kinds of posts belong in our main forum, as well as our subforums.

It doesn't matter if you're a member or not. You must abide by these rules if you post anywhere.

Guild Rules:

• Gaia's Rules & Guidelines are enforced here. This means that we don't allow spam, trolling, sexually explicit content, or piracy (" Requesting or sharing material you do not own the copyright to or have permission to share"), among other things that are prohibited by Gaia.

• Respect others. The GGSA is an open guild. Harrassment and insults will not be tolerated. Tempers might flare during a heated discussion, but if you can't at least be civil, refrain from clicking "submit".

• When requesting to join the guild, do not leave the request blank. We're not looking for any in-depth reasons, so a simple sentence will suffice. If you'd like to add more, go ahead. Blank requests will be rejected.

• The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance is not a matchmaking service. This means that "looking for bf/gf" type threads are not allowed.

• No introduction threads, please. Instead, post here.

• Do not revive dead threads. Also known as "necroing". In the context of this guild, this means threads that have fallen far off the main page, or have been inactive for months (excluding stickied threads). Instead, make your own of the same subject.

• Try to keep it neat and coherent. Avoid double- or triple-posting (you have an edit button, it's awesome!), avoid large chains of quotes, and try your best when it comes to spelling, grammar, and sentence structure. Don't worry, no one's going to be penalized for their writing skills (my own are far from brilliant), but it makes it a lot easier to communicate effectively when others don't have to struggle to figure out what you're trying to say. smile

• Spam, low-content threads, chat threads, and subjects unrelated to GLBT issues do not belong in the main forum. For more information, check out our various subforums below.

The Main Forum & Subforums
Or, What Goes Where

The Main GGSA Forum
Threads here should pertain to LGBTQ issues, and should have discussable content. In general threads asking for advice are also welcome here.

Crew Quarters
This is where guild crew-members can post to discuss what's going on in the guild. We talk about problems (or potential problems), and ways to improve the guild. We also keep track of rule-breaking, and discuss how to handle conflicts that may arise.

Extended Discussion
This subforum is intended for in-depth discussion and debate. Threads here don't have to be LGBT-related, although many of them are. Low-content posts are frowned upon in the ED, and you will probably want to be prepared to defend anything you have to say.

Journals
In this subforum, you can create a thread to act as a journal. Want to post about something cool that happened today? Want to vent about something that's annoying you? Just feel like sharing? This is the place to do it. It's also a good way to get to know what's going on with your fellow guild-members.

Off-Topic
Looking for lighter conversation? Want to start a game thread, or host a contest? Just feel like chatting, or being silly? Welcome to Off-topic! The rule of thumb is that if it doesn't belong in any of the other forums, but isn't against the rules, this is where it goes.

Memorable Threads Archive
This subforum was created to house threads that are inactive or obsolete, but have been saved from obscurity for one reason or another. It's a little bit like a time capsule for the guild. You can check out past contests, see past announcements, and check out threads that have been retired. No new posts belong here; all the threads should be locked, and have been moved here by crew-members. If you know of a thread that you'd like to nominate as "memorable", please PM one of the crew.

When in doubt, don't hesitate to contact a crew-member and ask where to post your thread. We're happy to help! In addition, if you've recently created a thread, and it seems to have disappeared, double-check the other forums, since we may have moved it for you. Threads are only deleted for being spam or against the rules.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:48 pm
The GGSA: A Guild of Respect

We want to quickly address a problem that this guild faces quite often. Like it or not, we will have some differences in our opinions, and we will meet others who we may not agree with 100%.

This is okay.

Differences in opinions are an opportunity for discussion and personal growth, and we encourage everyone to handle these differences with dignity and respect, rather than an opportunity to pick an argument or start a fight.

We should respect our fellow members. We should not call each other names, or use language that is intended to be hurtful.
Remember that while we are all welcome to share our opinions, we should make our best effort to express them in a way that's civil and responsible.

Handling conflicts in the guild

Rather than dealing with each issue in a reactive way, I thought it might be a good idea to be proactive and talk about how we can handle conflicts here in the GGSA.

As we discussed above, it's a given that, with so many different opinions being expressed, occasionally two or more people might end up arguing. Again, there's nothing wrong with disagreement. Can you imagine how boring things would be if everyone had the same opinion on everything?
Unfortunately, sometimes disagreements and arguments can get way out of hand.

At a certain point, a crew-member may step in and try to break things up.

When a crew member may step in:

• When users are making personal attacks, or making blanket statements that denigrate all members of a specific group
  • When an argument has derailed the thread and gone off on a tangent
  • When a user has indicated (either in-thread, or through PM) that they do not want to continue the discussion, but someone else keeps replying and harassing them

Now, there are only a few of us, and we might not always be aware that a conflict is brewing. Or we may feel that, even if an argument is a bit heated, both users seem to be handling things fine on their own. But, this might not be the case...
So, please, don't hesitate to contact a crew-member if you're having an issue with someone. That is what we're here for.

Ideally, if we see that a thread is being taken over by an off-topic argument (or if we receive a complaint from someone) a crew-member will post in the thread in question saying that the argument is over, and that will be the end of that. However, if one or more of the parties involved decides to keep going, further action will be taken, possibly resulting in warnings or even removal from the guild.

If someone is harrassing you outside of the guild, you're welcome to let us know, but it would be best in that case to contact a site moderator.

An important disclaimer: While you are always encouraged to contact us, I wouldn't suggest doing so if you're just looking to get someone else in trouble. I can assure you that I'll look into an issue, but I can't guarantee that I'll agree with your assessment of the situation. ; )

To summarize:

• Please contact the crew if someone is derailing your thread, if someone is flaming you, or if someone won't stop arguing with you after you've asked them, in a civil manner, to stop.
  • If someone makes it clear that they don't want to continue a discussion with you, please drop it.

A reminder about anti-religious statements
Statements attacking a religion are not allowed.

While some religions or religious denominations may have discriminatory rules or practices, the religion does not necessarily define all the people practicing it, and generalizing the people who observe that religion is unfair and can be very divisive and hurtful.

As a guild whose goal it is to promote tolerance, anti-religious statements are against our rules.

What's not allowed:
"I hate [insert religious group here]."
"[Insert religion here] is stupid."
"People who practice [religion] are bigots/hateful."

What is allowed:
"Certain aspects of [insert religion here] are hypocritical, because [insert reason here]."
"I used to be a part of [religious denomination] and the experience was very negative because..."

As long as it does not attack the religion as a whole or all the people practicing the religion, it's generally fine. If you have any questions about this subject, please ask a crew member.

Thanks!  

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:49 pm
Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What is the purpose of this guild?

A: To promote tolerance and acceptance of social differences including but not limited to sexual preference, religious beliefs, and ethnicity.

Q: What are the specific duties of Crew members?

A: In case you didn't know, 'crew members' are our guild's staff members. There are three levels of crew membership: Crew, Vice Captain, and Captain. Their duties are:

Crew: Polices the forum and makes sure there are no cases of harassment or questionable behavior. Moves threads if they are in the wrong forum. May issue warnings for guild rules violations. Can accept or decline join requests. Is in charge in the absence of the Captain or Vice Captain(s).

Vice Captain: All duties of the Crew, but is also capable of banning any ToS or guild rule violators from the guild. Oversees the Crew to make sure they are doing their jobs and not violating any rules themselves. Is in charge in the absence of the Captain.

Captain: Runs the guild. Has all duties of the Crew and Vice Captain, in addition to promoting and demoting Crew Members, promoting the guild, and overseeing the Crew and Vice Captain. Is in charge of the guild.

Basically, if you have a problem with a normal member of the guild, or want to let us know about a violation of the rules, you may report it to a Crew member, Vice-captain, or the Captain. If you have a problem with a Crew member, report it to the Vice Captain(s) or Captain. If you have a problem with the Vice Captain(s), report it to the Captain. If you have a problem with the Captain, feel free to contact the Vice Captain(s), or talk to the Captain privately. (I don't bite.)

If you see any major violations of Gaia's site rules in the guild, but no guild staff are online, feel free to report it to a site moderator. If it's not an emergency, just let a guild crew member know, and we will address is when we're online.

To get to know our crew (and to see who may be on hiatus), check out the next post.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:50 pm
The GGSA Crew

Curious about our crew? Not sure if a particular crew-member is active, or on hiatus? You're in the right place.

Captain
User Image

Active

• Name: Taeryyn
  • Any nicknames: Tae
  • Hails from: Nova Scotia, Canada
  • Likes: languages, a very varied selection of music, graveyards, sci-fi and fantasy books (Jordan, Martin, MiĆ©ville, Gaiman, Adams, Stephenson, Banks, Anthony, Sanderson, Brite), cooking (mostly vegetarian, mostly ******** delicious), running, wrist & hip bones, caffeine, travel, thunderstorms, playing hockey, video games, pinstripes
  • Dislikes: pineapple (the word and the fruit), drama-queens, really hot weather, being in airports when I'm tired, centipedes, body snark, satin, liars, and my terrible math skills
  • Anything else you want to share? I'd love to go back to working in a pizzeria, I live with a self-proclaimed drag princess, I want to party in Tallinn, I am not easily offended, and I have a vivid imagination.

Vice Captain
User Image

Semi-active

• Name: iMito
  • Any nicknames: Mito
  • Hails from: North Carolina
  • Dislikes: Nicholas Sparks
  • Anything else you want to share?

Vice Captain
User Image

On hiatus

• Name: lgtenos
  • Any nicknames:

Crew
User Image

On hiatus

• Name: Sin Error
  • Any nicknames:

Crew
User Image

Active

• Name: Der Fluch des Pharao
  • Any nicknames: Pharao(h)
  • Hails from: Michigan
  • Dislikes: Routine, complacency, conformation.
  • Anything else you want to share? I like to walk the fence, and push boundaries.

Crew
User Image

On hiatus

• Name: Kamirose

Guild Mule
User Image

Not active (or a real person!)

• Name: GGSA Mule
  • Any nicknames: GiGi (Not really, I just made that up.)
  • Hails from: Barton
  • Dislikes: Natural disasters.
  • Anything else you want to share? Have you ever been so far even as decided to use go want to look more like? I mean, you've got to be kidding me. I've been further even more decided to use even go need to do look more as anyone can. Can you really be far even as decided half as much to use go wish for that? My guess is that when one really been far even as decided once to use even go want, it is then that he has really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like. It's just common sense.

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:51 pm

Resources for Starting a GSA or LGBT Group

We seem to get lots of questions about starting GSAs, so I decided to put together an FAQ. =

Getting Started

It may help to know exactly what kind of group you want to start. What do you want to get out of your GSA or LGBTQ association? A social club? A serious group for support, discussion, and advice? A group that will be involved in activism? Some mixture of all three?

After you decide what kind of group you'd like to start, you'll need to speak to your school's administration. It may help to have a supportive teacher or other faculty member who is willing to be involved, and you may want to get any school counsellors on board as well

Help for Writing your Mission Statement

Ready, Set....

-Who?
You want fellow students there, right? Advertise!

You probably can't do it alone. Are others willing to help out? Recruit others who are willing to lend a hand.

-What?
What sort of things do you want to talk about, address, and do? Make a list of activities and topics, and get input from other students. Think up as many activities and topics as possible, and narrow down the list when you meet with other organizers. Prioritize!

-Where?
You'll need to pick a meeting place ahead of time. You'll probably want somewhere quiet and, if possible, a bit secluded. Remember that some people might be wary of coming to meetings if everyone in the school will know that they're there.

-When?
Pick a time and be there early, and plan to stay late. You can't accommodate everyone, unfortunately, so don't try to.

-Why?
Why do you want to start a GSA? Think about all the aspects, and it'll be easier to plan out what you're going to do.

Go!

-Have a pre-meeting with as many students as possible, to discuss activities, advertising, rules, etc.

-Speaking of rules, you should definitely have a set of basic rules in place, in regard to confidentiality, derogatory words, and speaking.

-While you have everyone assembled, brainstorm ideas for future activities or topics of discussion.

Resources

The often-referenced GSA Network.org

American Civil Liberties Union on Starting GSAs

The Safe Schools Coalition

10-Step Guide for Starting your GSA from GLSEN

*Updated Sept. 16th, 2012. If you notice any of the links are broken, please PM me and I'll fix it. Thanks.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:52 pm
GGSA Banners - Advertise!

Here are some of our banners. If you would like to add to this collection, PM a crew member with a link and we'll add it to our list!

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
[Please note: This image is too large byte-wise to put in your signature. If you do, it may be disabled unless you compress it.]

[url=http://www.gaiaonline.com/guilds/index.php?page_mode=4&guild_id=4702][img]http://www.filebox.vt.edu/users/kamakiri/Banner.png[/img][/url]

[url=http://www.gaiaonline.com/guilds/index.php?page_mode=4&guild_id=4702][img]http://www.filebox.vt.edu/users/kamakiri/banner2.png[/img][/url]

[url=http://www.gaiaonline.com/guilds/index.php?page_mode=4&guild_id=4702][img]http://www.filebox.vt.edu/users/kamakiri/small banner.png[/img][/url]

[url=http://www.gaiaonline.com/guilds/index.php?page_mode=4&guild_id=4702][img]http://www.filebox.vt.edu/users/kamakiri/banner4.png[/img][/url]

User Image

[URL=http://www.gaiaonline.com/guilds/index.php?page_mode=4&guild_id=4702][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v720/Elf_Blood/GaiaPictures/wow.bmp[/IMG][/URL]

User Image

[URL=http://www.gaiaonline.com/guilds/index.php?page_mode=4&guild_id=4702][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v720/Elf_Blood/GaiaPictures/lerainbow.bmp[/IMG][/URL]

User Image

[URL=http://www.gaiaonline.com/guilds/index.php?page_mode=4&guild_id=4702][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v720/Elf_Blood/GaiaPictures/rainbow.bmp[/IMG][/URL]

User Image
[url=http://www.gaiaonline.com/guilds/index.php?page_mode=4&guild_id=4702][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/Lynwea/ggsa.gif[img][/url]

User Image

[URL=http://www.gaiaonline.com/guilds/index.php?page_mode=4&guild_id=4702][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/Sentei_Shindou/3952.gif[/img][/url]

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:52 pm
Reserved  
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash