Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

[color=emo]

Salty Rogue

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:54 pm
...and I could use some help.

To make a long and stupid story short, I'm essentially being financially cut off from my family. I could really use some help, and I know that a lot of you like to buy art / know people who would like art for real money. I'm not asking you to donate to me or anything. I'm just saying if you were ever considering/on the fence about buying art from me for real money, now would be a fantastic time.

LONG AND STUPID STORY:

I'm a full time second year student with no job experience and 4 months to make $1600 to continue living where I currently live. My chances of finding a part time job to fit my 9-6 class schedule are slim, but I'm trying. In the meantime I'm hoping to pick up commissions so I'm never in a not-making-money situation.

Why is it so important for me to continue living where I do? Why don't I just suck it up and live at home? Well there are the practical reasons: I can develop my sense of independence and make some friends, and I can avoid the termination fee that would be incurred if I were to move out in the second semester, I can be on campus and skim a 3hour commute off each day, and most importantly, I can stay sane.

I am fully aware that I'm relatively privileged. I'm in a situation where I can get an amazing education and until now my parents have footed the bill. But they're kicked me out suddenly. I'm not that opposed to this; I know that I need to become more independent. I would have just liked more time to get my s**t together.

But what bothers me more is the reason they're essentially kicking me out.
It's not because I need to be more independent (I do) or that I'm getting too expensive (I am). My parents planned for that.

It's because they don't like who I'm dating.

Yeah, that's right. My traditional chinese parents are offended by the colour of my boyfriend's skin. Maybe if I dumped him I'd have my residence paid for. Maybe. But I don't want to have to do that.

Don't get me wrong. I don't believe that LOVE CONQUERS EVERYTHING~~ and I'm not 100% sure he is THE ONE. I just need to get the hell away from such a negative lifestyle.

So yes. I'm prepared to suffer for my principles.
By making this $1600 I can live where I do until the summer, by which time I should have a part time job to continue paying for my living expenses.

I came to you guys cause I've always felt that GCD regs, even though we don't all know each other, are a particularly close-knit group. Plus I know you guys appreciate the kind of art I can provide, or you guys know people who do.

This isn't on my tumblr (yet) because tbh I'm not that comfortable with people I know irl to find out about this situation (especially my younger siblings).

So yeah. If you could help me out that would be great! If you know people who are looking to get art done, also great!

COMMISSION INFO~  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:46 pm
I feel for you. Look. I understand money issues as well as family problems.

I'm willing to buy some art from you. I'll toss a bit extra your way for it.

J 4 C K

Perfect Pumpkin

aliceloatheswonderland

Stone-cold Cat

20,840 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:21 am
i will tell some fiends i know that do the whole rl money for art.

i'd buy something but i'm living paycheck to pay check. barely.

good luck D'=  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:29 am
That is a really shitty situation, girl. I wish I had the money to commission you, and all the people I know are flat broke also (yay, i'm a poverty person with poverty friends, woot woot).

Anyway, I am quite impressed with your resolve to do this on your own.

While I can sorta understand your family's reasons, I also think they need to realize this is more modern times. People are going to date who they're gonna date. This is something your parents do need to come to terms with, so doing this on your own will show them that you're independent enough to make your own decisions.

I hope you have great luck in all of this. smile  

Rya Dracosin

Shadowy Millionaire

13,000 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Beta Citizen 0

[color=emo]

Salty Rogue

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:47 pm
Thanks for your support, guys ; u;

Yeah, I'm actually really surprised my dad is this way. He's pretty well educated and stuff. I guess traditions die hard :T

Hopefully I can get financial aid from my school, but since i'm not legally separated from my family, it's likely that I'll get close to nothing :T  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:50 pm
i cant offer you any money because im painfully broke, but post your commission info and story on tumblr and ill reblog it. i got like 950+ followers who would dig your art (i mean if they dig mine theyll fall madly in love with yours)

that being said i am so happy youre standing up for yourself in this situation. i hear lots of horror stories about traditional asian parents, but no one, family or otherwise, should police who you choose to be romantically involved with. im proud of u!!!!!  

drumnbass420

Girl-Crazy Ladykiller

floraIwitch

Popular Poster

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:57 pm
What meeks said. ` v` heart One of my best friends is going through similar issues with her super traditional Asian mom, and her going to school for Graphic Design.

I only have about half that amount of followers, but if they like my stuff, they'll love everything you do!!

I'm moving back home for what would be this semester, so I might be able to commission you in a week or two.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:06 am
@meeks & ichi
ahhhdfgskdgjsl thanks! that would really help!
& don't worry about commissioning me, I feel like reblogging so your followers will see is more than enough, haha

you guys are so supportive and awesome ;_; <3  

[color=emo]

Salty Rogue

drumnbass420

Girl-Crazy Ladykiller

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:43 pm
i reblogged!!! i also tweeted and my friend dannel is real interested in your stuff. did you get any commissions?? *v*  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:14 pm
meekstape
i reblogged!!! i also tweeted and my friend dannel is real interested in your stuff. did you get any commissions?? *v*
eee yes I saw! thanks so much! <3

haha yeah I got like 3 confirmed this afternoon and I'm almost done the commissions I had from before, so this was a huge help! C:

you should tell them to note me on dA! (since that seems to be the most popular option haha)  

[color=emo]

Salty Rogue

Sachie Whitby

King Vampire

18,200 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:42 pm
TL;DR: Sachie doesn't have extra money to buy s**t.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:09 am
___● Holy s**t I know how you feel. I'm terrified at the moment because my parents are paying for my education but they hate my boyfriend with a passion due him being an atheist, lol. We are in the exact same boat except I haven't been cut off yet.

I have a student loan, so I'm defs willing to commission you because your art is amaaaazing. <3 Shall I contact you through DA then?

acn period

Beloved Noob

[color=emo]

Salty Rogue

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:05 am
acn period
___● Holy s**t I know how you feel. I'm terrified at the moment because my parents are paying for my education but they hate my boyfriend with a passion due him being an atheist, lol. We are in the exact same boat except I haven't been cut off yet.

I have a student loan, so I'm defs willing to commission you because your art is amaaaazing. <3 Shall I contact you through DA then?
It's a pretty s**t situation, and my parents make it seem like it's my fault DD: All of my friends are like "Holy s**t racism still exists??"
The religion thing is even scarier than the race thing, imo. So intense! o___o

jsahdas I wouldn't want you to use your student loan money for this ;__; But yeah, contacting through dA is the best way!

And due to the amount of money that my parents make, I'm not actually allowed to get money from the government in the form of student loans LOL. So I'd have to go to a bank or something...
My boyfriend offered to loan me money cause he's pretty much working full time now but that would be too much ;__;  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:06 am
Sachie Whitby
TL;DR: Sachie doesn't have extra money to buy s**t.
lol unecessary post.

yeah I understand most people don't have money to buy s**t but it's worth a try :T  

[color=emo]

Salty Rogue

acn period

Beloved Noob

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:04 am
[color=emo]
acn period

It's a pretty s**t situation, and my parents make it seem like it's my fault DD: All of my friends are like "Holy s**t racism still exists??"
The religion thing is even scarier than the race thing, imo. So intense! o___o

jsahdas I wouldn't want you to use your student loan money for this ;__; But yeah, contacting through dA is the best way!

And due to the amount of money that my parents make, I'm not actually allowed to get money from the government in the form of student loans LOL. So I'd have to go to a bank or something...
My boyfriend offered to loan me money cause he's pretty much working full time now but that would be too much ;__;

___● I don't drink, so I can just use the money I have saved from my lifestyle to commission you, awww yiss. wink It's insane how much doe you can have if you cut out stuff like that.

I'd say racism definitely trumps religion! Thought both are shitty and people are just shitty. :c

Come Back Mero <33

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff