Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Polyglot's and Linguist's Guild

Back to Guilds

A place where people learning languages or studying linguistics can come to discuss and hang out! 

Tags: language, linguistics, polyglot, linguist, foreign languages 

Reply The Polyglot's and Linguist's Guild
Your "foreign" name Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Blade Lorenz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:51 pm
Hmm, well, way back in Spanish Class - that was like almost two decades ago - the students were asked to pick a spanish name for the class. I mostly remember two guys, one who picked the spanish version of Benjamin, just 'cause he thought it sounded cool; and another who picked the Spanish version of his own name Richard = Richardo. The first name I suggested was just half-assed, so to say, and wasn't a spanish name. Then, what was actually my fave choice, is what I chose - it was accepted.

Having moved to another county, and then taking a crash language course here (er, that is German/Germany), I thought I might need to pick a name, but turns out they don't do that, at least, not in the course I took (and, far as I know, not even in school with kids - I'm tutoring some children in English, and though we've discussed their english class and such, they've never mentioned anything about picking an English name).

My name is Dominic. And the only change is to make the "c" into a "k" in my first two languages (German and Dutch). Can't remember what I picked back in spanish class... it was the spanish version of Dominic, I think - or at least something that sounded similar and with the title "Don" added to it.. could've been "Don Diego", but I don't think so....I can't remember.

Otherwise, provided that'd ever happen again - that I'd need to choose a name for a language course - I'd most likely either choose a variation of my own name, or more likely a variation of Kurt.. or a variation of Chris, is Kurt isn't applicable/available.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:15 pm
I usually keep my rl name whatever language I'm using, since it's an Anglicized version of a northern-European name.

English: Asakuun (my preferred name but not my RL name)
Dutch: Tantietska (the name of my great aunt Jettie, who immigrated from Holland)
Spanish: Anita (sounds fun)
Russian:
Japanese: Kiru (it's a boy's name but still)
Chinese: Liu Ling (from a book I read)

In my Spanish I-I class everyone picked names for themselves besides me; I was the teacher's favourite and she didn't ask me to decide on one. :3 She was a rather strict teacher, but I learned very well from her.  

Mors Morza

Hallowed Foe

11,200 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Streaker 200
  • Tycoon 200
The Polyglot's and Linguist's Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers