Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Polyglot's and Linguist's Guild

Back to Guilds

A place where people learning languages or studying linguistics can come to discuss and hang out! 

Tags: language, linguistics, polyglot, linguist, foreign languages 

Reply The Polyglot's and Linguist's Guild
Your "foreign" name Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The_Brightest_Moon
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:07 pm
There's a Czech proverb that says "You live a new life for every new language you speak. If you know only one language, you live only once.” Sometimes, language students pick a name in their target language for themselves, as a "second" persona. So I was thinking, what would your "other" name(s) be?

My Japanese name: Either Sayuri or Mayumi, because I think they're beautiful names

My French name: Chloe, Sophie or Ciel (don't know if Ciel is used as a name but I like it) for the same phonetic reasons.

I can't choose names based on meaning, because my name is Belen and means "Bethlehem" so obviously I'm not gonna like, find a name in Japanese that goes with that. So I go with how it sounds.

What names would you choose for yourself? Who are you in another language?  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:48 pm
Oh, gosh. I thought I was the only loser that did this.
Naturally, I have quite a few names that I've acquired over the years.

Japanese - ミズ: The first I ever received, it's the same as my Gaia username.
Greek - Ἀλμός (Almós): Derived from the Greek word ἅλμη (hálmē), meaning "seawater".
Latin - Almus: Derived from the Greek form that I initially came up with, having double meaning; both the Greek "seawater" and the Latin "nurturing".
Old Norse - Hólmrøðr: Initially based on the Latin name, this one also has double meaning. It combines "islander" and also "affectionate".
French - Nèron: This one was first based on a modern Greek word (νερώ [nerṓ], meaning "water"). The è is meant to differentiate this name from that of the Roman emperor (no correlation intended, haha).
Swedish - Sjö: Another loosely based on an earlier word, sjór, which is Icelandic for "sea".

Those are all that I've gotten so far. Maybe in the future I'll acquire more. As you can tell, I'm a water kind of guy. ;p

Tc Frorleivus Almus Ph
Captain

6,325 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250

Shiina-kun

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:13 pm
My Japanese name is 笑子 ("Emiko") and my first name is actually Greek (even though I'm Japanese haha).  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:41 am
I've definitely got different personalities when I speak different languages - likely due to the fact that I piece together things I've heard and parrot them back, my linguistic personality reflects the personality that spoke the language. (If that makes any sense.)

My name tends to stay very similar in languages. In English, French, and German I'm Lili; in Russian I'm Lilya; and in Japanese... I'm either Yuri or Ruri - haven't decided yet. :-p Yuri would be an accurate translation, but Ruri would be a closer transliteration and I'd avoid all the homosexual jokes.  

Azula the Phoenix Queen

Dangerous Lunatic

Tc Frorleivus Almus Ph
Captain

6,325 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:33 am
Azula the Phoenix Queen
I've definitely got different personalities when I speak different languages - likely due to the fact that I piece together things I've heard and parrot them back, my linguistic personality reflects the personality that spoke the language. (If that makes any sense.)

My name tends to stay very similar in languages. In English, French, and German I'm Lili; in Russian I'm Lilya; and in Japanese... I'm either Yuri or Ruri - haven't decided yet. :-p Yuri would be an accurate translation, but Ruri would be a closer transliteration and I'd avoid all the homosexual jokes.

It's of absolutely no consequence, but I felt like I wanted to point it out anyway. "Ruri" means "in the country" in Latin. ;p

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:37 am

So, Shizuka, did you just call Moon a loser? Just kidding!

My name, Anita, is used in different languages so I don't have to change it. But I believe in that proverb.

Chirapaq
Crew

Durem Gaian

5,400 Points
  • Champion 300
  • Medalist 100
  • Athlete 50

Tc Frorleivus Almus Ph
Captain

6,325 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:50 am
Chirapaq

So, Shizuka, did you just call Moon a loser? Just kidding!

My name, Anita, is used in different languages so I don't have to change it. But I believe in that proverb.

I totally did, indirectly, didn't I? I'm such a douche.
Hopefully this thread will fill up with more people like us who choose strange names because we think they're cool, and then the whole thread will be full of us losers.

Anyway, part of the reason I go through such trouble to pick different names in other languages is because my real name is just... hogwash.
Before you ask, no, I will not tell any of you what it is.
If I did, my magical powers will stop working.

I think you've got a nice name, so I'm not that surprised that you just go by it when you transition from one language to another.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:10 am
It's all right I suppose... as long as we are all losers together.  

Shiina-kun

Munashii the Unseen

Informer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:40 am
Weell, my name is Cassandra so automatically in Greek it would mean "She who entangles man". Apparently the lady with that name was very beautiful. ;-; Oddly, I'm not Greek at all. Apparently it could also mean "Shining on Mankind" but I'm not sure on that one.

In Italian I would most likely be Andreina, meaning "man, warrior". I tend to be interested in things that girls wouldn't be interested in. ...Plus I went to a psychic once and she told me I was a male in my past lives. ;-;

Other would probably be...

Brunilda "armored warrior woman." That's my favorite! It's apparently the Italian form of Brynhildr.

Ernesta "battle [to the death], serious business."

Imelda "all warrior."

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:16 pm
Master Huntress Munashii
Apparently the lady with that name was very beautiful.

She was so beautiful that Apollo fell in love with her and granted her the power of prophecy. When she did not return his love, however, he cursed her so that no one would believe her prophecies even though they were true. Hell hath no fury like a... uh... god scorned.

I'm not Greek either, but I also have a name from Greek mythology haha. Hooray for us non-Greeks with Greek names!  

Shiina-kun

Azula the Phoenix Queen

Dangerous Lunatic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:24 pm
emikodo
Master Huntress Munashii
Apparently the lady with that name was very beautiful.

She was so beautiful that Apollo fell in love with her and granted her the power of prophecy. When she did not return his love, however, he cursed her so that no one would believe her prophecies even though they were true. Hell hath no fury like a... uh... god scorned.

I'm not Greek either, but I also have a name from Greek mythology haha. Hooray for us non-Greeks with Greek names!

I get so happy when other people know mythology.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:42 pm
Azula the Phoenix Queen
I get so happy when other people know mythology.

Hehe I had to learn about it in order to live up to my name!  

Shiina-kun

The_Brightest_Moon
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:22 pm
I love that we all do this xp including other personas. In Japanese I'm very feminine, energetic, and speak with a more high-pitched voice, and in French I'm an opinionated b***h. This is probably because traditionally Japanese women are taught to act like that so I learned by watching and listening, and I learned to develop my speaking skills in French by discussion and debating. Derp!  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:24 pm
The_Brightest_Moon
I love that we all do this xp including other personas. In Japanese I'm very feminine, energetic, and speak with a more high-pitched voice, and in French I'm an opinionated b***h. This is probably because traditionally Japanese women are taught to act like that so I learned by watching and listening, and I learned to develop my speaking skills in French by discussion and debating. Derp!

Heh. As it turns out, all of my names are based on role play characters. Go figure. ;p  

Tc Frorleivus Almus Ph
Captain

6,325 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250

Sakura Latte

Magical Fairy

20,300 Points
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Snowball Hero 200
  • Frozen Solid 200
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:13 pm
I suppose my middle name, Thanh, would be my Vietnamese name.

I haven't decided what I would want my name in Japanese to be, but I like girl names that end in こ or み and have meanings related to flowers and nature...

For Korean, either SeNa or Yuna because I like how they sound.

And I was assigned a Spanish name when I took Spanish class in high school, but I forgot what my Spanish name was.

@ Brightest: I've never heard of a person in real life with the name Ciel before, but I do know of a character from an anime whose name is Ciel Phantomhive.  
The Polyglot's and Linguist's Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff