Welcome to Gaia! ::

Passport Japan日本のパスポート

Back to Guilds

Guild to teach, learn or talk about japanese language and culture 

Tags: Anime, Contest, Japanese, Giveaway, Free 

Reply Passport Japan日本のパスポート
I want to move to Japan next year what do I need to know? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

oTrissa

7,850 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:04 am
I want to move to Japan in January of 2013 and stay there 1-3 months. (more than likely about 4-6 weeks though)

I have already been looking into some info. I know I can stay up to 90 days with just my passport, but I might want to work there. Can I request a working visa after I already moved to Japan if I decide to get a job there?

What kinds of jobs can I get if I have no degree? I was hoping to get some freelance modeling work but I am not counting on that. I would be fine with working in a cafe or something, but would they let me? Me Japanese is okay, but I do still make mistakes and I'm not the best speaker / reader. I need to work on my writing a bit actually. I'm pretty sure English teaching is out of the question if I have no degree, right?

As for modeling, do they have open calls? What websites can I find open call times / places at?

I am planning on saving 3,000 USD to go. (I'll have backup funds if needed as well, but will that be enough for a month?)I found a share house / apartment that will cost me 1,100$ after deposit & utilities. I've heard some problems with deposits though, will they give me back all of my deposit? (I was reading that most apartments don't....)

About how much monthly will it cost for food? I don't eat out a ton but I will like to try a few places there. I cook most of my own food, and I'm pretty tiny so I don't eat a ton.

How much is a 1 month rail pass?

Is there anything else I should know while planning and before I move?
I have been looking up basic etiquette but are there any tricky things I should know? I don't want to be called a stupid foreigner behind my back....

Also, I cannot for the life of me find any plane tickets cheaper than 1,300$, is there any way I can make it cheaper or anything?  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:12 am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTnsd6-uUM4

This video will answer a lot of your questions.

I might come back and write more later...
It's just that your situation is very difficult to answer, optimistically.
Coming to Japan without a college degree ( / plan / job ) is unheard of.

But coming to Japan for modelling or "cafe" work is not a good idea. sweatdrop

LittleKaiju

Questionable Browser

Sailor Blue Rose

Romantic Lunatic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:51 am
There are also place that are short-term lease apartments. In April I stayed for a week at a hotel called HUNDRED STAY in Shinjuku. It was really like a studio apartment, and the good thing is that they come and clean your room twice a week. They provide a lot of things for you like dishes, glasses, utensils, and pots and pans. Yo dou have a fridge, hotplate, and microwave. This option is more expensive than a hostel or shared space, but it is much less than a westen-style hotel. Considering what is provided for you, I think it's a steal. You also have the security of leaving your belongings and nobody going through it.

http://www.hundredstay.com/

The other option is doing a home-stay. This is great if you want to learn the language as well. You stay with a native family, who has a "guest room." In the agency that I went through, I had a room to myself, and two meals a day provided for me. (I also bought and kept dry goods and fruit in my room.) This could greatly reduce your cost, but not everyone can handle the change and being with strangers.

http://www.homestay-in-japan.com/eng/

My suggestion would be to go there for the 90-days on a passport and "feel-it-out." While you are there research and find out the ways to do what you want to do. If you can even go to the US Embassy in Japan, but make an appointment first. This is all very time consuming and I speaking from experience. But if you really want to relocate to Japan, it is a job in itself.

As a warning when you do move to an apartment in Japan, the first month is very expensive. It will include first month rent, last month rent, a gift to the landlord, and any other deposits they require. In short be prepared to dish out the equivalent of month's rent your first month. This I know from friends that I met in Japan.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:35 pm
wakige
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTnsd6-uUM4

This video will answer a lot of your questions.

I might come back and write more later...
It's just that your situation is very difficult to answer, optimistically.
Coming to Japan without a college degree ( / plan / job ) is unheard of.

But coming to Japan for modelling or "cafe" work is not a good idea. sweatdrop
I'm not going there with the intention to work, I just want the option if needed. I'm going there on vacation. Thanks for the video link though.  

oTrissa

7,850 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200

oTrissa

7,850 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:46 pm
Sailor Blue Rose
There are also place that are short-term lease apartments. In April I stayed for a week at a hotel called HUNDRED STAY in Shinjuku. It was really like a studio apartment, and the good thing is that they come and clean your room twice a week. They provide a lot of things for you like dishes, glasses, utensils, and pots and pans. Yo dou have a fridge, hotplate, and microwave. This option is more expensive than a hostel or shared space, but it is much less than a westen-style hotel. Considering what is provided for you, I think it's a steal. You also have the security of leaving your belongings and nobody going through it.

http://www.hundredstay.com/

The other option is doing a home-stay. This is great if you want to learn the language as well. You stay with a native family, who has a "guest room." In the agency that I went through, I had a room to myself, and two meals a day provided for me. (I also bought and kept dry goods and fruit in my room.) This could greatly reduce your cost, but not everyone can handle the change and being with strangers.

http://www.homestay-in-japan.com/eng/

My suggestion would be to go there for the 90-days on a passport and "feel-it-out." While you are there research and find out the ways to do what you want to do. If you can even go to the US Embassy in Japan, but make an appointment first. This is all very time consuming and I speaking from experience. But if you really want to relocate to Japan, it is a job in itself.

As a warning when you do move to an apartment in Japan, the first month is very expensive. It will include first month rent, last month rent, a gift to the landlord, and any other deposits they require. In short be prepared to dish out the equivalent of month's rent your first month. This I know from friends that I met in Japan.
I don't like the idea of anyone coming into my room at all, this is why I'm not opting for a hostel or hotel. I was going to rent a furnished short stay apartment (1 month stay) but I might look into that, I assume by the name it's around 100$ per week? (give or take with the $ conversions)

I am not going to do a home stay.
I never said I was going to live there, or more there permanently as I said in my OP I am going to live there from 1 to 3 months (4-6 weeks more likely) the reason I wanted to know more about job there is I might want extra cash and things can happen, which is why I asked if I could apply for a working visa if needed after I'm already in the country. I in no way wish to live there forever.

I also said that I already found a few places in Japan already...you just skimmed my post if that right? (Thanks for the post but everything you're telling me I put that I already figured out in my OP, I appreciate your time though.)  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:43 pm
oTrissa
I don't like the idea of anyone coming into my room at all, this is why I'm not opting for a hostel or hotel. I was going to rent a furnished short stay apartment (1 month stay) but I might look into that, I assume by the name it's around 100$ per week? (give or take with the $ conversions)

I never said I was going to live there, or more there permanently as I said in my OP I am going to live there from 1 to 3 months (4-6 weeks more likely) the reason I wanted to know more about job there is I might want extra cash and things can happen, which is why I asked if I could apply for a working visa if needed after I'm already in the country. I in no way wish to live there forever.

I also said that I already found a few places in Japan already...you just skimmed my post if that right? (Thanks for the post but everything you're telling me I put that I already figured out in my OP, I appreciate your time though.)

More so I was trying to give you a run-down of what is the most cost efficient way to stay there short term and long term (if you decide to apply for a work visa.) I've been there for 3 months the first time I was there and I was there for 10 days the second time I was there. I did not skim, I read. I had a very similar thought yours, but my job field is marketing and merchandising. That is very hard to get into, especially since I only know minimal conversational Japanese. Forgive me if I offended you in any way.  

Sailor Blue Rose

Romantic Lunatic

oTrissa

7,850 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:19 pm
Sailor Blue Rose
oTrissa

More so I was trying to give you a run-down of what is the most cost efficient way to stay there short term and long term (if you decide to apply for a work visa.) I've been there for 3 months the first time I was there and I was there for 10 days the second time I was there. I did not skim, I read. I had a very similar thought yours, but my job field is marketing and merchandising. That is very hard to get into, especially since I only know minimal conversational Japanese. Forgive me if I offended you in any way.
Well like I said I appreciate that. I'm not looking for a permanent job there, or long term. I was going to save around 3-4,000 USD, but I wanted to know places I can work if something happens, something that won't be impossible to work at. I can make small talk in Japanese and read some words. I was wondering if it's easy to work at a restaurant like it is here maybe. Some cafe or something? It's easy to memorize a menu.
I don't have a job field, I'm in the works of opening a bussiness, so it's not like I can just go over there on that. I don't want to open a physical building yet.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:56 pm
oTrissa
Well like I said I appreciate that. I'm not looking for a permanent job there, or long term. I was going to save around 3-4,000 USD, but I wanted to know places I can work if something happens, something that won't be impossible to work at. I can make small talk in Japanese and read some words. I was wondering if it's easy to work at a restaurant like it is here maybe. Some cafe or something? It's easy to memorize a menu.
I don't have a job field, I'm in the works of opening a bussiness, so it's not like I can just go over there on that. I don't want to open a physical building yet.

Then I think the best choice for you would be a serviced-apartment. You will be going in an off-season, so price will be lower. I stayed during Hanami for 7 nights, and my total fee for boarding was $1250.

Trying to find work is hard if you are not fluent in the language. I know because I looked into it myself. Plus their resume format is different and must be in proper Japanese grammar. If you are saving up that much, then just go for a vacation and a separation for the norm. It's great to immerse yourself in a different culture.  

Sailor Blue Rose

Romantic Lunatic

oTrissa

7,850 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:09 pm
Sailor Blue Rose
oTrissa

Then I think the best choice for you would be a serviced-apartment. You will be going in an off-season, so price will be lower. I stayed during Hanami for 7 nights, and my total fee for boarding was $1250.

Trying to find work is hard if you are not fluent in the language. I know because I looked into it myself. Plus their resume format is different and must be in proper Japanese grammar. If you are saving up that much, then just go for a vacation and a separation for the norm. It's great to immerse yourself in a different culture.
That's what I'm trying to say, I am only going on vacation.I don't / won't need to work there I'd like to see what it's like.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:42 pm
oTrissa
That's what I'm trying to say, I am only going on vacation.I don't / won't need to work there I'd like to see what it's like.

Than have yourself a grand time.  

Sailor Blue Rose

Romantic Lunatic

Nana Shinu Ai

7,200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:16 pm
Make sure you learn some Japanese words. because few people from nippon or Japan don't speak very good eigo as english.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:45 pm
I spent about a month in Japan and I ended up dishing out about 8k. One word of advise that I can give you is that you keep an eye out for the changes in currency exchange rates. One week it could be cheap, and other it could be a little more expensive.

I really can't give you any advice on apartments since I did not stay long in any one spot(I mostly stayed at 3 to 5 star hotels most of the time and at a pretty good price). However I did use the heck out of my rail pass. Here's some prices on the various types of railpasses available. rail passes

Its actually a little cheaper now than when I had to buy mine... same goes on airfare -- all tied to the exchange rate.

As for knowing the language... As long as you know your basic greetings and questions you can get by, however its better I you have a deeper understanding of it. It can take you further. wink

oh, before I forget. Don't make the same mistake I did on luggage... Take only what you really need. you do not want to be lugging around two large pieces of luggage plus your personal Items through the train stations... especially in Tokyo during commute hours. oh, and do take some hand sanitizer. some public restrooms have no soap or toilet paper. mrgreen  

kuroikappa

Friendly Shapeshifter

12,050 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Befriended 100
  • Friendly 100

Kakigoori_Oujo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:12 am
I came to Kyoto with around 6500 CAD and here are my monthly expenses:

Rent: 40,000 yen

Food: 20,000 to 30,000 yen
This expense depends on if I eat out a lot or not (To socialize with friends). I skip breakfast because I never wake up on time, lunch is usually a 210 yen Kitsune Udon (school cafeteria) and a 100 yen chocolate milk (school convenience store). Dinner is a 250 yen bento (buy from a specialized bento shop because they usually cost 398 yen in convenience stores). If you want to save more money just drink water.

Transportation: 0 because I have a second-hand bicycle which costed 6400 yen (1200 yen total for a round trip to Kobe for sightseeing, etc. on the Hankyu)

Cell Phone: Mine is prepaid and the total is something close to 10,000 yen (phone + forgot how many minutes + unlimited texting for a month + can watch TV). Incoming calls are paid by the caller but I don't go around calling people. 300 yen per month for unlimited texting for 30 days. Go to Softbank because Docomo only do contracts which are expensive to cancel.

Internet: 3125 yen (requires LAN cable which you can bring over from home otherwise just buy one)

Misc: 10,000 (buy extra food, snacks, books, go to parties, etc.)

That was just an example using my own expenditures of the month.

On the topic of earning money, you need to get a working permit first (you can get one if you have a student visa). However, I think you might need to use a lot of keigo if you're going to work in restaurants/cafes.

The best way to earn money without a working visa or fluent Japanese is to become a private tutor. You might need connections to help you find people who want a tutor though. Or you can search on the Internet. I think it is possible to earn 2000 yen per hour.

When I first arrived in Japan a month ago, I could not speak Japanese properly. I somehow survived 2nd year Japanese classes in university but speaking had always been my weak point compared to all my classmates. When my computer broke, I had to get it fixed and I was literally like FML if I had trouble ordering food at a restaurant, how in the world would I be able to explain what's wrong with my computer, but now it's fixed and working. Things will probably work out fine in the end (as long as your problem is not money-related).

Many of the things I say may not apply to you because you're only here for a short-term stay while I'm studying here for a year.

Good luck with everything.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:48 pm
kuroikappa
I spent about a month in Japan and I ended up dishing out about 8k. One word of advise that I can give you is that you keep an eye out for the changes in currency exchange rates. One week it could be cheap, and other it could be a little more expensive.

I really can't give you any advice on apartments since I did not stay long in any one spot(I mostly stayed at 3 to 5 star hotels most of the time and at a pretty good price). However I did use the heck out of my rail pass. Here's some prices on the various types of railpasses available. rail passes

Its actually a little cheaper now than when I had to buy mine... same goes on airfare -- all tied to the exchange rate.

As for knowing the language... As long as you know your basic greetings and questions you can get by, however its better I you have a deeper understanding of it. It can take you further. wink

oh, before I forget. Don't make the same mistake I did on luggage... Take only what you really need. you do not want to be lugging around two large pieces of luggage plus your personal Items through the train stations... especially in Tokyo during commute hours. oh, and do take some hand sanitizer. some public restrooms have no soap or toilet paper. mrgreen
This was really helpful, thanks!  

oTrissa

7,850 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200

Double Boubble

Bashful Giver

7,650 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100