Welcome to Gaia! ::

A Sinner's Sentiments - Polls and Wild Nonsense

Back to Guilds

A small but growing guild. We're close knit, friendly, literate, and we have polls on every topic. 

Tags: General Discussion, Literate, Awesome, Friendly, Polls 

Reply a** - PAWN
Do you oil your hair/scalp?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

stefcia stefcia

Versatile Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:43 pm
I started to last year and do it about once a month now.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:04 pm
I've never heard of people doing that. What is it supposed to do?  

Sinacious
Captain

stefcia stefcia

Versatile Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:31 pm
Quote:
The Benefits
A warm oil massage, done at least once a week has the following benefits:

-It lubricates and conditions the scalp, helping to prevent flakes and dry scalp without the use of harsh chemical shampoos.

-It helps enhance blood circulation in the head and neck area. When the scalp is “tight” from stress, circulation and hair growth are impeded.

-It helps relax the scalp and increase pliability.

-It helps strengthen the roots of the hair and nourishes the hair-shafts, promoting new hair growth and strengthening current hair.

-It helps soften and condition the hair, making it more manageable.

-It spreads the natural oils of the hair, increasing hair luster and vibrancy.

-It helps protect hair from the damaging effects of the sun and harsh weather by improving resiliency over time.

-It is replenishing and rejuvenating for dry, damaged hair, and helps prevent excessive brittleness and split-ends.

-It helps pacify Vata dosha. Especially when enriched with Vata-pacifying herbs, a warm oil hair and scalp massage can be wonderfully relaxing for the mind and nervous system.

-When fortified with cooling, Pitta-pacifying herbs, the hair and scalp massage can help balance Pitta dosha and help prevent Pitta-related problems such as premature graying or thinning of hair.

-It also helps reduce body heat in general, especially if you have been up late a few nights or your eyes are smarting from too much close work on the computer or reading.

-A Pitta-pacifying massage also helps promote emotional balance. The massage helps relax the muscles in the neck area.

-The hair and scalp massage can help promote sound sleep at night.

As quoted from this website.

It's traditionally done in South Asian countries. My roommate introduced it to me and taught me how (it's the same as shampooing your hair in the shower, really). Otherwise I probably would have never have heard of it either. My roommate has been doing this to her hair since she was a kid. I don't do it as regularly as the page suggests, but I have noticed my hair looking much healthier immediately after I oil it. I straighten my hair a lot so I used to have a lot of split ends, now I get them much less frequently and my hair growth is much faster.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:17 pm
I do not, but my hair gets oily enough on its own ;P.

But nah, if I could afford to do that kinda stuff I would give it a try.  

Lass Kyon
Crew

Aged Sex Symbol

8,950 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Mark Twain 100

Sinacious
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:37 pm
I may have to start doing this since I'm wanting to grow my hair back out and it seems like it takes a long time for my hair to grow. What kind of oils do they normally use? I looked at the essential oils but there's about 20 listed there. x3  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:21 pm
I usually use coconut oil for my hair (Parachute is the brand, it's fairly cheap on Amazon, under $8 ). I think coconut is definitely one of the better ones to try (even though I don't like the smell) and I'd recommend it. I've also used Argan and Avocado oil. I'd like to try almond oil.

stefcia stefcia

Versatile Shapeshifter

Cocoa Jamboree

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:04 pm
I've been thinking about doing this for my hair ends, but now I might do my scalp as well. I was just going to use warm olive oil from the kitchen. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:50 pm
I did a search for the parachute brand and it looks like they have a jasmine scented one. It has a pretty decent rating so I might go for this one. Linky  

Sinacious
Captain

stefcia stefcia

Versatile Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:22 am
Sinacious
I did a search for the parachute brand and it looks like they have a jasmine scented one. It has a pretty decent rating so I might go for this one. Linky

Let me know if you try it and what you think.

3nodding

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:24 am
Cocoa Jamboree
I've been thinking about doing this for my hair ends, but now I might do my scalp as well. I was just going to use warm olive oil from the kitchen. sweatdrop

It's best to use it on your scalp, (pun unintended) because that gets at the root of the problems. But spread it evenly through.

stefcia stefcia

Versatile Shapeshifter

stefcia stefcia

Versatile Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:26 am
Lass Kyon
I do not, but my hair gets oily enough on its own ;P.

But nah, if I could afford to do that kinda stuff I would give it a try.

Definitely worth an investment. My overall hair quality has improved a lot. I just oiled it again two days ago and it's so soft now. I can't stop playing with it when I walk to class. >.>

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:16 pm
Will do! :3  

Sinacious
Captain

a** - PAWN

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out