Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

darkdreamsbefall

12,725 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Love Machine 150
  • Object of Affection 150
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:02 pm
Hey, my name is Darkdreamsbefall. I love reading and mostly read fantasy. I will give most books a try. I even read the first book in the Twilight saga for a friend. I never made that mistake again. A pet peeve of mine is vampires are NOT supposed to sparkle! Anyways, my favorite authors are J.R.R Tolkien, R.A. Salvatore, and Terry Pratchett.

I am unsure of my writing style. I mostly write in the fantasy realm. I dabble a little in romance but since I am not fond of reading a pure romance novel. I am in the process of creating two different universe for my writing pleasure. My sister has point out to me many times that I need to write more descriptively so I am hoping that this challenge will help me with that.

Sample:

It was haunting how quickly she gave up her life for her love. Bards wrote songs about her lasting love even in death. One bard wrote a masterpiece, a song that spoke of her love, and told of what fate held in store for them.

One life freely given.
Unto her beloved she gave her soul.
Led to his side by a jest
She gave to him love unconditionally.
Split apart by a cruel twist of fate
He was taken to seal the darkness
She was given to guard his slumber
He becomes master and she became a stranger
Loss of memory leads him astray
Binding chains hold her to him
Through broken and bleeding heart
Secretly she guards him, protects him from the past.
Shadows unleashed on bloodstained lies
A stormy world and crimson sky foretell a disastrous future

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:28 pm
Hello all, my user name is -Coalpe- but a lot of my online friends have nicknamed me "Coalie" instead, so feel free to call me either xd

I really love writing, even if I'm not working on my writing, it's always going through my head what I should work on on this one or that one or what I should start next (though I honestly have only finished about two short stories and have started like 13 others (I will probably post some of what I've got of these here somewhere for people to go through at some point) on top of the novel series I'm planning on writing and getting published (if that could even happen to me))

If I'm not writing something I'm usually reading something or working on something related to one of them, or just hanging around on the internet studying up on a lot of anime (for mental image purposes) and other people's writing styles so I can better my own through that method.

My main writing genres are Fantasy, a little bit of Sci-Fi, teeny tiny bits of romance thrown in, and everything is some form of wild, self-created fantasy world or has some place I made up in it. (I don't often like to study up on the geography of the world beyond just a few things for detail purposes, I just end up making stuff up as I go and leave out names or features that would be recognized by people who live in those areas so they won't know I messed up xp )

If you can't already tell, I end up writing WAY too much on pretty much everything I'm asked to write about. Even a lot of my school work is overdone, especially if they ask for my opinion or input on whatever it is. I also have seemed to have written quite a bit on here, but, then again, I always do that anyway.

I don't really know what out of my writings I should put down, so last night while waiting for a reply for a PM from this guild, I just threw something together at random to give you all something to read that is similar to a lot of my work, so here it is!

"...

He pressed a button on the boombox, turning on the loud, thumping music. It was a kind of tune that set you up for trying something new, and possibly failing at it a few times before you got there. It had a fairly fast tempo. I started tapping my feet to the beat, hopping back and forth in anticipation.

"Do you really want to do this?" he asked, crossing his arms and adjusting his balance.

"Of course! I've got to start somewhere, don't I?" I said, half snappy half excited. I was a little nervous for this, I'll admit it, but that wasn't going to stop me.

"If you say so...." He pressed a button that raised the rumbling metal door, revealing the large room we were in was on top of an even larger building, several stories above the ground, "Ready?"

"As I'll ever be."

"Alright then, go!"

I dashed out the door as fast as I could, and jumped straight off the roof.

Instead of aiming for the other side, I was actually hoping to hit the ground, almost. Although I was planning on hitting the ground, I knew it wouldn't hurt. I'd be long gone before then.

Just as I'd hoped, I blacked out before I got there, and was startled awake exactly where I was supposed to be. Back in the warehouse on top of the building, sitting on a wooden chair right in the center of the completely quiet room, facing the unopened door. I was panting a little from the effort of my task.

"Congratulations," he told me, "You've passed the first stage of your mental projection training."

..."

Sorry if that didn't make much sense, I don't often think in just plain "short sample" style. Plus, it was made up in about 10 minutes, so that has to count for something... xp

For a final note, I say I can't wait to jump right in and meet everybody, and I hope we can all get along well from now on ^___^

(Oh jeez, is a little nervous about posting this because I don't often show my work to others...oh well, here it goes! *clicks the submit button*)  

Valleeli

Invisible Citizen

9,300 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Battle: Level Up 200
  • Cat Fancier 100

Shad-chan

Liberal Wench

15,575 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Beta Contributor 0
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:36 pm
Hello there! My name's Shad-chan, but you can also call me Shad or Crystal--whatever you prefer.

I've joined this guild mainly because one of my New Year's resolutions was to write more this year, and I think this guild will be a big help.

I mainly read fantasy, non-fiction, and gay romance. Neil Gaiman is my favorite author of all time, and I have a sentimental fondness for Mercedes Lackey and David Eddings, even though I'll be the first to admit that both of them are, at best, only pretty good writers. I love them in spite of that, as I grew up with them and they got me through some tough times in my adolescence.

I write pretty much whatever occurs to me, but usually fantasy or light romance. (I'm not comfortable with writing anything more than a kiss or some groping, as I'm asexual, and really don't understand the motivations behind it all. Makes it a bit hard to write it believably, you know?)

I love giving feedback, but be warned, it will always be CONSTRUCTIVE. I'll point out typos, grammar issues, and other 'little' errors. I do it to help, not to get you down, so please don't let it bother you!

I'm sure I probably have something short I'm proud of that I could post here, but I can't really think of anything... I'll try to come back and put it in later though.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:03 pm
Hello 4laugh I'm Breezy. I really really love reading. My favorite author is John Green. I'm currently trying to get back into reading fantasy books which had always been my favorite growing up. I like poetry a lot but I don't really have a favorite poet in particular.
I write prose pieces mostly; however, I'm hoping this guild will help me get into writing longer stories because I hope to write a book some day and I need all the practice I can get. I joined this guild so maybe by seeing all of the writing on here, it'll inspire me to start writing often, as I should.
I'm really excited about starting my 365 day challenge(but I don't think I have access to a computer every day so that sucks in terms of the contest part- but no worries, I really just want to use this as a way to discipline myself).
I hope to make lots of new friends who enjoy writing as much as me!  

Breezybr33

Lady Silverstorm I

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:25 pm
Hello everyone! My name is Jessica.

I am interested in reading most anything that I can get my hands on, but I also tend to read a lot of those visual novels that are more popular in Japan. heart

I write prose as well as poetry, and while most of my work is fiction, some of it ends up being autobiographical. I am very excited to do the 365 day challenge. The community seems like it is going to be fun to work with. mrgreen

Writing sample:

Lilies in the Night

Lilies Illuminated
By the gentle glow of the night obscure
Shimmering, silky, silent moon-lit waters
Long, white, velveteen petals stand strong
Against all consuming darkness
Casting a safe-haven of heavenly descent
A beacon of hope for the lost  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:20 am
Hey, everybody. (:

I'm SolrSurfr3, but you can refer to me as Solr, Sol, or whatever else strikes your fancy, really. I am female (don't let the avi fool you), currently 19 years old, and soon to enter my second year of college. I've always loved writing, and I've got a lot of great story ideas, but I usually have trouble finding the time or motivation to sit down and actually get stuff on paper. I figured this challenge would be a good way to help me get passed that and keep my skills sharp.

The books I read are typically fiction, mostly in the adventure, fantasy, or sci-fi genres. Anything with a fast pace and interesting characters is great. I also love mysteries and horror, but those are sometimes harder for me to find. My favorite writers at the moment are JRR Tolkein, Dan Brown, Neil Gaiman, and JK Rowling. I also love poetry, especially the work of Emily Dickinson, Edgar Allan Poe, and Robert Frost.

Most of my writing has been fantasy related, mostly modern, and I've also dabbled in fanfiction from time to time (nothing good there, trust me XD). I've also done a few poems and song lyrics. My tone tends to be straightforward and a little sarcastic, and I find that my focus lies mostly on my characters and their interactions. Unfortunately, I have a bad habit of starting things and never finishing them, either due to loss of inspiration or lack of time. I want to try and fix that while I'm working on this challenge.

Like I said before, I have trouble getting stuff down on paper, but here's one of the poems that I wrote a few years ago.

Masquerade Ball

Masks of silver, masks of gold
Hidden spirits, cruel and cold
Faces gilded and bejeweled
Leave the watchers easily fooled

Masks of iron, masks of steel
Hidden wounds have yet to heal
Faces strong and full of pride
Cloak the pain they feel inside

Masks of paper, masks of wood
Hidden strength not understood
Faces given not a glance
Heros and knights deprived their chance

But who would ever think to ask
To see the one behind the mask?
Faces are hidden, roles are played
In this, the worldwide masquerade

Also, if you're interested, I have another piece that I'm really proud of here. It's a historical fiction short story, and probably one of my favorite pieces I've done.

Good luck, guys! wink  

SolrSurfr3

Witty Hunter

8,050 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Voter 100
  • Friendly 100

guitarlove6437

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:18 pm
Hello there everyone. I'm Guitarlove, but you can call me Guitar, GL, pretty much whatever. I'm currently 18, and I'm heading off to college in August.
I've been wanting to write for a very, very, very long time. I believe when I had the biggest "a-ha" moment was when I was in middle school. Everyone in my class had to write an essay, and mine was actually read aloud. I was so surprised and thankful. I started becoming well known for writing a lot for essays and the like.
The first book I read a million times, after that time in middle school, was Guitar Girl by Sara Manning. I rather regret selling it at a yard sale. A book I can't recommend enough is the Leven Thumps Series by Obert Skye. A book I feel like fellow writers should read is Runaway by Wendelin Van Draanen.

I'm not sure how to describe my writing style, to be honest. I've written both lyrics and prose, but I'm sticking more with prose. I'm currently trying to piece together a story I'm writing. I have a general idea for the beginning, middle, and end, though I'm not sure yet how to piece all together.
Here's a paragraph one of my favorites:

Brighter than the Sun
She looked around, a little confused. She couldn’t remember anything about her. A voice, one she did not recognize, sounded.
“Look down, you will see,” it was a male voice, she could tell that much. It was deep and calm. For whatever reason, she trusted the stranger.
She looked down and saw herself. Her skin was dark, reminding her of wood. Her hair was even darker, her eyes the same color. She looked rather ordinary, but there was a certain beauty she had. She was wearing a brown and white dress that reached her knees. It was a brown base with little white flowers as a pattern. She was also wearing a double-knotted orange scarf that blew in the wind with her dress. Her feet were bare, for a reason she did not remember.
The light shining around her faded, the stars replacing them. The mysterious reflection revealed her name, from the mirroring stars.
“Alison,” she read aloud. The light returned, but something strange happened. The wind blew her to the reflection. She found out what the reflection was: still water. She went through the water while still breathing.
The water suddenly burned gold. She felt a mysterious warmth through her body. It felt good, considering she was a little cold moments earlier. The warmth grew and grew. She realized what was happening: the water turned to fire. She went through the fire without burning up.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:37 pm
Hello all! I'm tash, and I'm one of those people who claim the title of 'writer' without doing much of the whole writing thing. SO. This is me actually committing. I am a massive fan of sentence fragments. Can't get enough.
My writing also tends to learn to the left; expect feminism and sex positivity.

favourite novels include The English Patient, Mysterious Skin, Twenty Fragments of a Ravenous Youth, This Burns My Heart

I ******** love research. Like whoa. Currently I'm obsessed with learning as much as possible about rape culture, gender across cultures, China, South Korea, DBT/CBT, Sex ed in America, Poly relationships, colorism and white privilege, asexuality and agenderism and literary depictions of incest (yay!)  

Tia_blue

BrowQuirk

Dapper Tycoon

13,175 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:11 am
Hello, one and all! I am the great and powerful BrowQuirk, and I've come to overwhelm you all with my overly extensive self-confidence! I attend school at Herzing University in Madison, WI for Game Development, and I have been creatively writing since a very young age. I've had a couple poems published in some silly poem almanacs and stuff like that, but nothing horrifically serious that I've actually professionally been able to use.

I am a huge fan of role playing in text form, and I love events like the Renaissance Faire and other such things. I write in almost any setting, any story, any genre. I've been roleplaying on AOL chat rooms since I was 10 years old. I'm a large fan of post-apocalyptic settings when reading, but I'm often up to taking challenges on different things that are slightly out of my element, when I can find them. I'm extremely self confident in my opinions as well as my writing, but I love criticism and debate.

I recently started playing Gaia with my girlfriend and my new roommates, and I'm looking for some stuff to do on almost a constant basis. So, if you have an idea you want to pitch for a piece of work, or a role play you're interested in starting, joining, or dreaming, then let me know and I'll give you as much support, criticism, ideas as I can!  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:13 am
Hi! My (user)name is princessMeep, but you can just call me Meep. I'm twenty four, and starting with the new school year I'll be an elementary school librarian. I live in Tokyo and I write a lot anyway, but not very consistently. I wanted to start writing every day anyway, but with 50k gold on the line, maybe I'll actually do it.

I write a lot of different stuff, but usually small and character-focused stories set in a variety of universes. Some I write in regularly are a Western, the Jazz Age, a multiverse, and most recently two different high fantasy settings of the swords & sorcery and Fair Folk varieties, respectively. I try to write things that are fun if not actually good.

Civilian Casualty is a short story I wrote recently for a contest that was very well received. It's not my usual style or setting, but I'm really proud of how it came out.

princessMeep

Shy Saint

4,050 Points
  • Battle: Cleric 100
  • Timid 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100

author-of-a-kind

Quotable Lunatic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:17 am
Hello, I'm author, but because i trust all writers (and frankly in a guild full of authors calling one person author might get confusing) You can call me Robyn if you want. I'm seventeen and a freshman in college. I hope to be studying creative writing.

I'm currently reading: Les Misrables (a translated version) by Victor Hugo (and i've just finished Divergent and let me tell you WOW)
My favorite book is: Either Midsummer Night's Dream - Shakespeare or The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson
I have a writing store (feel free to check it out in my signature) where I'm currently thinking of doing some remodeling (PM me if interested in more detalis)
I'm working on: my own novel (as always), a short novel for a customer, a short story for one of my fabulous regulars and another short story.
Other little interests: If any of you know how to write screen plays I'd love to learn. Also if any of you could teach me a different language I'd love that. I love to learn so any kind of research that you need done, I can do it for you. I also like to draw and occasionally paint. I'm not very good at either but I try...

Oh and a short sample for you all! Um.... I don't do short.... Check out this and other stories in my journal.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:10 pm
Hey hey !! I'm 13 Mockingjay, but you can call me Jay. I'm in 8th grade, but love reading and writing. I like to read realistic fiction (things that could happen, but never did), but most of my writing is paranormal in a sense. I always have one character that's a little odd, maybe a supernatural power or they know something other people don't. I also like writing poetry. I've advanced very much in it.
I'm currently reading a book calls The Brightest Kind of Darkness. It's more towards my reading style because it's considered paranormal. I plan to read the original Wizard of Oz next and then Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. I'm a fast reader so I'll probably get through them pretty soon.
My favorite piece has to be a short story I wrote for a contest at school. It's called Over the Rainbow and I'll try to get a link for you guys. It's currently posted in another literary guild. Did I mention I got first place with that story? (: It's the only story I've written that isn't a little paranormal and it's written for younger readers (3rd-6th grade, I'd say). The only reason I wrote it a little easier to read is because I was actually challenging myself. I tend to use complicated or very descriptive words that kids my age would have to look up the definition.
Since I love to read so much, I hardly have time to write. I'll start to write something, then find a good book and stray off track. I recently started writing a book (hopefully, maybe it'll just be a short story) told through an aspiring reporter's eyes. She interviews an autistic/schizophrenic young girl who opens up to her. The two become really close and...NO MORE SPOILERS !!! Mwuahaha !
That's about it. Bye !!  

13 Mockingjay

Lonely Poster

7,750 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Generous 100
  • Popular Thread 100

I_ScreamScones

Bashful Friend

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:57 am
Salutations. My username is I_ScreamScones, but you can just call me Scones, or Sini (another old username that most friends still use for me.) I'm almost 24 years old, and have been writing since I could hold a pencil, what started off as just creative stories for school projects soon became a hobby I truly enjoyed but had troubles sticking with. (I have severe ADD, but I'm trying to conquer it, still.)

I love books of all genres, though I have a harder time reading western-based stories because I've never really been into cowboys.. confused I've been reading this book called 'Unlikely Angel' that my Grandma gave me when she visited, it's alright, it's based off actual events and that's probably why it's taking me so long to read it cause I love books with deep character development.

This is from a small story I'm trying to write, I keep getting stuck on it, but I think it'll turn out well when I settle on finishing it. xP
"Chrissy! CHRISSY!" I'm looking around frantically, my heart skipping beats as I run down the smokey corridor, "Chrissy! Where are you?!" I call out for my sister, she's so little, she could be anywhere right now... How did this fire even start? The night had been just been so fun, from late night movies with our friends, make-overs, popcorn; then sleep and dreams of the summer at Grandpas and Nana's awaiting us. Smoke was filling my lungs as I panted heavily, I could hear my parents screaming my name, the sounds of sirens filling the air, none of that mattered though; all I could think of was my baby sister somewhere in this crumbling house, I didn't want to lose another sibling.. "CHRISSSSSSSSSSSY!" I screamed, my lungs burning as I felt myself fall through the floor of our home.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:36 pm
Hello, I'm Boss Smarty Pants. I tend towards adventure and Tamora Pierce. I think that Companions of the Night by Vivian Vande Velde is much better than Twilight, also Amelia Atwaters-Rhodes is a great author. My writing is mostly of an idealistic nature with hints of dry humor. I prefer short stories to poetry, but sometimes I dabble. I love to throw in non-fiction from time to time, and letters even. My favorite poets are Robert Frost and Emily Dickenson. Horrible at quoting anything though. cat_sweatdrop  

BossSmartyPants

LordBloodySoul

Business Genius

3,700 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Angelic Alliance 100
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:46 am
Those listening to the voice of time
Hearing the whisper of earth and sky
Those who speak in the language of old
Hearing the words leaving the lips of my

I am the shade of ancient mission
Teaching and Learning - making decision
I am the cowl of dusk and night
Frightening cold - an unrivaled sight

To the eye that can read between the line...

Hello, fellow artists of the word.

My name is LordBloodySoul. I am 26 years old and a commited writer of Fantasy, Sci Fi, poems and poetry. I love writing and wish to share it with the world. Reading is one of my favorite hobbies. Since I lived in a quite big family, I had very few times for myself. When we all started to go our separate ways, I realized how much I missed them. So I started writing poems. Novels, I wrote even before that and enjoyed the praises of my siblings. However, I am not quite sure if they were only nice, so I decided to let people from all over the world evaluate my work ^_^

My favorite novelist is Hohlbein who wrote "Thor- The Asgard-Saga" and "The Chronicles of Elves", as well as Stephen King smile  
365 Days of Writing

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff