For anyone interested in Wicca, Paganism, or Witchcraft 

Tags: Wicca, Pagan, Witchcraft, New Age, Community 

Reply The Sitting Room - - [real-life, quest threads, chatterbox, etc]
Telling The Family

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Have you told your family about your religious practices?
  Yes
  No
  Going To
  Never Plan On It
View Results

ThatBandGirl

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:07 pm
So I'm not one hundred percent sure that this is the place to put this, but Imma put it here any way.

So, I've been thinking of ways that I could tell my Christan mom that I'm Wiccan with out her freaking out. I love my mom and I don't want something like this to get between the two of us. I mean, it's something that could happen, but I don't want it to. Does any one have any ideas of a way that I could tell them, ease them into the idea in a way? I'd be forever in you dept if you could. smile  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:09 pm
Hmm, well depending on how religious she is, it can be very difficult. It depends on if you think she'll freak out or not.

My mum's Christian, but I never really bothered with her finding out because she's done things like going to a spiritualist church, having her fortune read, getting tattoes, etc etc, so I didn't care that much what she thought. I don't think they've entirely accepted it though, since mum constantly tells me that I'm Christian because I was baptised as a Christian (as a baby with no say).

There is a book called 'When Someone You Love Is Wiccan' which might be a good read for her to understand some of it.  

koudelkaW
Captain

Diverse Hoarder

11,000 Points
  • Pieversity 200
  • Pie For All! 300
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

ThatBandGirl

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:13 pm
koudelkaW
Hmm, well depending on how religious she is, it can be very difficult. It depends on if you think she'll freak out or not.

My mum's Christian, but I never really bothered with her finding out because she's done things like going to a spiritualist church, having her fortune read, getting tattoes, etc etc, so I didn't care that much what she thought. I don't think they've entirely accepted it though, since mum constantly tells me that I'm Christian because I was baptised as a Christian (as a baby with no say).

There is a book called 'When Someone You Love Is Wiccan' which might be a good read for her to understand some of it.

I just put that book on hold from the library. I though that it would be good for her to read, but I was gonna read it first, 'cause I didn't know what would be in it.

She questioned me today on why I have been getting books on Wicca from the library, but I didn't get a word in edge wise, so I couldn't tell her. She was kinda all "You're a teen, you're curious. You'll be out of this stage of interest soon." By the time I was gonna tell her, she had already moved on to talking about something else. .-.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:16 pm
ThatBandGirl
koudelkaW

I just put that book on hold from the library. I though that it would be good for her to read, but I was gonna read it first, 'cause I didn't know what would be in it.

She questioned me today on why I have been getting books on Wicca from the library, but I didn't get a word in edge wise, so I couldn't tell her. She was kinda all "You're a teen, you're curious. You'll be out of this stage of interest soon." By the time I was gonna tell her, she had already moved on to talking about something else. .-.

Haha, yeah, parents are good at that.

If you're not ready to tell her, just tell her that you're interested in other religions as a hobby, or even that you're just researching for school (do you guys have religious education classes over there?). Perhaps even check out books on other religions to throw her off. So, get a Christian book, then other random ones.  

koudelkaW
Captain

Diverse Hoarder

11,000 Points
  • Pieversity 200
  • Pie For All! 300
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

ThatBandGirl

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:20 pm
koudelkaW
ThatBandGirl
koudelkaW

Haha, yeah, parents are good at that.

If you're not ready to tell her, just tell her that you're interested in other religions as a hobby, or even that you're just researching for school (do you guys have religious education classes over there?). Perhaps even check out books on other religions to throw her off. So, get a Christian book, then other random ones.

Haha I was actually thinking about doing that in all honesty! We don't have any classes like that, but if we did, I'd most defiantly be in it. I am interested in other religions besides Christianity, unlike all the old farts in my community, 'cause that's what they are o.o, so being in a class like that would be a real learning experience for me.

A friend of mine has been letting me read her Wicca books lately, she's bring me another on Monday.

I haven't had a chance to get other books on other religions yet, but come Monday, which I just realized was tomorrow xD, I shall have quite a few xDD  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:21 am
What I ended up doing was just telling them. I live with my dad, and he has never been a very practiced Christian. So I found it odd that he was the one who freaked out when my mom is the one who's a Judeo-Christian (meaning she is very VERY dedicated to that religion). She told me that she respected my choice. It's not really a matter of that you want them to approve of it, it's just you want them to respect your choices. I tried to get my dad to read a thing like the book you're all talking about but he misread every word and took it out of context. I found no reason to hide it from my parents so I just flat out told them I was interested in Wicca and was studying it. My dad said the same thing about how it's just a "phase" and all that. Normally, a "phase" would last a few weeks. It's been almost half a year now. If they freak out on you right away and immediately disregard it as a phase, give it time. Don't mention it anymore and just go about your practices. My dad is over his whole freak out stage, because he saw me meditating and is starting to understand Wicca a little better. Sorry for the whole essay, I just was giving my input. ^^;

Materu Shioni

O.G. Wife

The Sitting Room - - [real-life, quest threads, chatterbox, etc]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces