Submit

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:37 am
ezio died. he was sick for a couple days and then just died. i have no idea how old he was since i got him as an adult but i like to think he had a good rat life. i gave him some chocolate for his last meal which he really seemed to enjoy.

now though newton is the only male rat in the house and is living alone. i wont be getting any more rats but he lives next to the girls' cage so he still gets some rat interaction  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:30 am
awww, no, I'm so sorry. sad

Hearing rat people not want to get more rats scares me. I adored Hope. But I can't imagine giving up on rats and never having known Blaze. I woulda had such a boring stress free life!  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:38 am
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
awww, no, I'm so sorry. sad

Hearing rat people not want to get more rats scares me. I adored Hope. But I can't imagine giving up on rats and never having known Blaze. I woulda had such a boring stress free life!

the main reason i feel done for a while is because ive had so many rats already in a short amount of time. and most have died around the same time. this year ive lost 4 rats, zeus, sprocket, ezio, and pickles. its just too much sadness too close together.

i plan on getting more rats in a few years, but i think ill just have 2 or 3 at a time. i love my vermins so much, they keep me sane, but after seeing most of them die it just makes me not want to get as attached to them and that means i wont end up playing with them as much as i should  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:31 am
I hear ya. I know when Hope passed, I didn't want another rat right away. Plus I had Aida after all. But I was focused on Aida and what Aida needed. I was scared when I went to the foster mom's house, that I would start to cry or that I wouldn't be able to connect with the new rat. In a way, I didn't, not the one I had meant to adopt anyway. But Blazie climbed into my sweater, and I couldn't resist her tiny lil mouse looking self. I had debated on adult vs. baby a lot, I think everything worked out right in the end. I think an adult would have been hard on Aida, the baby was easy for her to accept without feeling threatened.

I do know this, I will always adopt rats. I know that I'd still like a purebred dog. And while I like DSH cats and would adopt there too, I do want my Bengal some day which would also be pure bred. But there's no good rat "breeders" around here, to my knowledge. I don't think it would make such a difference in a short lived animal either. And seeing how many rats actually do get rehomed, it's something many people don't realize around here. I see the number of rats at the SPCA not budge for a month and my heart breaks. I wana save em all.  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:43 pm
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
I hear ya. I know when Hope passed, I didn't want another rat right away. Plus I had Aida after all. But I was focused on Aida and what Aida needed. I was scared when I went to the foster mom's house, that I would start to cry or that I wouldn't be able to connect with the new rat. In a way, I didn't, not the one I had meant to adopt anyway. But Blazie climbed into my sweater, and I couldn't resist her tiny lil mouse looking self. I had debated on adult vs. baby a lot, I think everything worked out right in the end. I think an adult would have been hard on Aida, the baby was easy for her to accept without feeling threatened.

I do know this, I will always adopt rats. I know that I'd still like a purebred dog. And while I like DSH cats and would adopt there too, I do want my Bengal some day which would also be pure bred. But there's no good rat "breeders" around here, to my knowledge. I don't think it would make such a difference in a short lived animal either. And seeing how many rats actually do get rehomed, it's something many people don't realize around here. I see the number of rats at the SPCA not budge for a month and my heart breaks. I wana save em all.

the spca by me hardly gets any pocket pets, and as far as i know there are no good rat breeders. i know of some private breeders who supply some small pet shops and so far ive been happy with those rats, but ill always have a weakness for feeder bin rats. and since i buy feeder rats for my snake anyways im not supporting something i wouldnt normaly support  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:39 pm
They have such short lives! crying I am sure I will have them again someday, but it is so hard to love something that has such a short life span. I get so attached. I don't know that I can handle getting another ALTG Lizard because they keep dying on me. I may just stick with long-lifed critters like 20 years with chins... or 100 with tortoises.  

Kipluck
Crew

5,850 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:23 am
Kipluck
They have such short lives! crying I am sure I will have them again someday, but it is so hard to love something that has such a short life span. I get so attached. I don't know that I can handle getting another ALTG Lizard because they keep dying on me. I may just stick with long-lifed critters like 20 years with chins... or 100 with tortoises.

thats one of the reasons why i wanted a dog so badly, all the fun of a rat but they live longer  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:25 am
Shanna66
Kipluck

thats one of the reasons why i wanted a dog so badly, all the fun of a rat but they live longer

I find rats resemble cats more in personality lol. Or I suppose you could get a ferret.  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:40 am
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Shanna66
Kipluck

I find rats resemble cats more in personality lol. Or I suppose you could get a ferret.

ferrets lives also seem to end in tragedy from what ive read, plus they kind of smell  
Rainbow Bridge

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games