Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Sanctuary~* (answers and advice)
Buying Tarot Cards for My Sweetheart! ~ <3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you read tarot cards?
  Yes!
  No, but I want to.
  Pollwhore Option
  Yes but I don't care for it.
  No!
View Results

The Starling

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:43 am
Okay so here is the deal, my beautiful Dove is thinking she'd like to start practicing divination through tarot cards. I didn't tell her yet, but I'm gonna buy her a deck and a copy of "Tarot Plain and Simple" by Anthony Louis- which is the book that helped me get started.

I personally use my Robin Wood deck for the most part, but I also have the Pagan Tarot deck and the Osho Zen Tarot deck.

I already know, as beautiful as they are, that I'm not going to get her the Osho Zen tarot deck- because she wants the more traditional cards.

So Discuss
- What Tarot Deck should I get her?
- What Tarot Deck do you use?
- What Tarot Deck(s) do you have but don't use?
- What Tarot Decks do you want but don't have?
- Were you given your Tarot Cards, or did you buy them yourself?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:55 am
My HPS is a huge fan of the Robin Wood deck- and you already mentioned you like it too, or that's the impression I got. And I think the book you're giving her uses that deck for it's examples- so it seems like it would be a good deck to start her on.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

The Starling

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:59 am
Esiris
My HPS is a huge fan of the Robin Wood deck- and you already mentioned you like it too, or that's the impression I got. And I think the book you're giving her uses that deck for it's examples- so it seems like it would be a good deck to start her on.

That's what I was thinking- but I want to get her a deck with drop-dead-gorgeous artwork, as beautiful as she is. Have you seen any decks with pretty artwork?  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:04 am
The Starling

That's what I was thinking- but I want to get her a deck with drop-dead-gorgeous artwork, as beautiful as she is. Have you seen any decks with pretty artwork?

For me- I think "pretty" is kind of subjective. There are lots of very pretty decks, but one kind of pretty may fit her style better than another kind of pretty.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

The Starling

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:29 am
Esiris
The Starling

For me- I think "pretty" is kind of subjective. There are lots of very pretty decks, but one kind of pretty may fit her style better than another kind of pretty.

Her style of pretty is very hard to explain, so that's why I'm asking people to post about the specific decks they like- sort of like shopping, but the customers are selling them- know what I mean?  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:31 am
The Starling

Her style of pretty is very hard to explain, so that's why I'm asking people to post about the specific decks they like- sort of like shopping, but the customers are selling them- know what I mean?

Here. You might have more luck just browsing decks there.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

The Starling

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:05 pm
Esiris
The Starling

Here. You might have more luck just browsing decks there.

I prefer to get the opinions of people who use them, hense the thread and not just hitting amazon.com or something like that.

A sales rep will glorify a shitty producy, but a customer who has used the product will give an honest opinion  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:08 pm
The Starling

I prefer to get the opinions of people who use them, hense the thread and not just hitting amazon.com or something like that.

A sales rep will glorify a shitty producy, but a customer who has used the product will give an honest opinion

I recommended it because you can't describe her style, but you want it to be pretty- but everyone's ideas of pretty are different. sweatdrop

Some sales reps will glorify a bad product- some won't, but the quality of the cards is pretty standard, so the real question is how it will feel in your hand and if you like the art.

The size of the cards is pretty easy to look up- so you can measure a deck that feels good in the hand and use that to pick which of the decks you like the best.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:28 pm
Aeclectic Tarot is a great site for browsing deck art. It'd be useful for reviewing the styles of the various decks without having buy them or guess from the packaging whether or not they meet your friend's aesthetic.

Me, I tend to use the Robin Wood tarot the most. I also own a Crow's Magick deck that I use often. I have owned in the past an Aquarian Tarot; it was the deck I learned to read with. I like it, but I don't think it's for everyone.

I have passed on both a Thoth deck, and a Dragon Tarot. Both were too stiff for me.

My student uses the Sacred Rose deck. She likes it fairly well. I gifted another friend a Radiant Rider-Waite deck, which is beautiful. I personally would read with it myself if I was given one. My husband uses the plain Rider-Waite deck; it and I -do not- get along.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:03 pm
Morgandria
Aeclectic Tarot is a great site for browsing deck art. It'd be useful for reviewing the styles of the various decks without having buy them or guess from the packaging whether or not they meet your friend's aesthetic.

Me, I tend to use the Robin Wood tarot the most. I also own a Crow's Magick deck that I use often. I have owned in the past an Aquarian Tarot; it was the deck I learned to read with. I like it, but I don't think it's for everyone.

I have passed on both a Thoth deck, and a Dragon Tarot. Both were too stiff for me.

My student uses the Sacred Rose deck. She likes it fairly well. I gifted another friend a Radiant Rider-Waite deck, which is beautiful. I personally would read with it myself if I was given one. My husband uses the plain Rider-Waite deck; it and I -do not- get along.

The Dragon Tarot and the Crow's Magick look like she would LOVE them, I'm leaning towards the Crow's but I think she would like the Dragons better

Thanks a lot, this is a great post! Very helpful!  

The Starling

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:54 pm
I don't have much experience with reading tarot cards. My mom forbade me from using them when I got The Tarot of Vampyres. She almost made me return them but I told her I got them for the artwork. She tried to tell me it was against my religion. Thing is she doesn't know what religion I am. Anywho when I did do readings I would use Clow Cards. It was really interesting to use them and at the time was easier for me to use them.  
*~Sanctuary~* (answers and advice)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games