Welcome to Gaia! ::

*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild

Back to Guilds

Reply Debate and Discussion
Harry Potter.....Good Or Bad [can be closed] Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 14 15 16 17 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Whats your opinion?
Good
68%
 68%  [ 48 ]
Bad
31%
 31%  [ 22 ]
Total Votes : 70

Gilwen
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:11 pm
Cometh The Inquisitor
Gilwen
I'm still waiting to hear a real connection between Harry Potter and wicca (which, incidentally, is not the witchcraft mentioned in the Bible either.)

*taps fingers*

Well, actually, it is. But that's not really on topic.

Wicca wasn't around before the 50s. It definitely isn't the same as the paganism in the OT, sorry. It is on topic, because I'm saying that none of the statements against HP in this thread connect to witchcraft at all.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:14 pm
Gilwen
Holypimp
Gilwen
I'm still waiting to hear a real connection between Harry Potter and wicca (which, incidentally, is not the witchcraft mentioned in the Bible either.)

*taps fingers*
THE BIBLE DOES NOT SPECIFY WHAT TYPE OF WITCHCRAFT BECAUSE IT IS ALL WRONG. REAL OR FICTION IT DOES NOT MATTER scream

No. The Bible doesn't specify, because the definition of "witchcraft" is implicit. And doesn't relate to wicca or Harry Potter.
Wicca is witchcraft...they even call themselves witches....and the bible dosnt say harry potter because....well they werent written when the bible was written so...that would make it kind of difficult now wouldnt it. Im not saying the Bible would specifically say Harry Potter but....well i think you get the point  

Silent Expressor

ioioouiouiouio

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:15 pm
Holypimp
I "get it" Cometh, the age range for these books is like 6-99. Just outa curiosity how many 6 year olds honestly have a good grasp on the difference between fact and fiction

Well, at age six, I very much doubt that kiddies are reading Harry Potter, but I get your point.

Ok, lets set the age level for HP at, around 9-sih (that's like, 3rd-4th grade). Ok, at that point, the kids have already had a rather large exposure to pretend and fiction (most of it coming from themselves, I might add). They can understand what is real and what is not with a simple, 'this book is make-believe'. If they are never told that, then it is not hte book that is at fault, it is the moronic, quasi-abusive parents who are to blame for hte child's delusions.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:16 pm
Holypimp
Wicca is witchcraft...they even call themselves witches....and the bible dosnt say harry potter because....well they werent written when the bible was written so...that would make it kind of difficult now wouldnt it. Im not saying the Bible would specifically say Harry Potter but....well i think you get the point

No, I don't. You have yet to single out any action from the books that correlates with the witchcraft in the Old Testament. Until you do, I'm afraid your point will continue to elude me.  

Gilwen
Crew

ioioouiouiouio

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:17 pm
Gilwen
Wicca wasn't around before the 50s. It definitely isn't the same as the paganism in the OT, sorry. It is on topic, because I'm saying that none of the statements against HP in this thread connect to witchcraft at all.

No, but it was based off of paganism that dates back to pre-christianity (and, I might add, christian mysticism). However, regardless of it's origens, practicing wicca falls under numerous sins, the most basic of which is idolitary.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:17 pm
Galations 5: 19-21 The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Whoever wanted a citation there you go. I dont see anything in there that says Real sexual immorality ,impurity, debaucher, idolatry, witchcraft..etc... but fiction is ok...Do you?  

Silent Expressor

Gilwen
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:19 pm
Cometh The Inquisitor
Gilwen

No, but it was based off of paganism that dates back to pre-christianity (and, I might add, christian mysticism). However, regardless of it's origens, practicing wicca falls under numerous sins, the most basic of which is idolitary.

Granted. I wasn't claiming that wicca wasn't sin. I was just pointing out the chaos in the arguments presented against HP.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:20 pm
Gilwen
No, I don't. You have yet to single out any action from the books that correlates with the witchcraft in the Old Testament. Until you do, I'm afraid your point will continue to elude me.

Proving that it is wiccan would be sufficient enough. Just because we've found new ways to sin, does not change the fallen nature of the sin itself.  

ioioouiouiouio

Gilwen
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:21 pm
Holypimp
Galations 5: 19-21 The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Whoever wanted a citation there you go. I dont see anything in there that says Real sexual immorality ,impurity, debaucher, idolatry, witchcraft..etc... but fiction is ok...Do you?

Okay, for example: if I came up with a game that included collecting rocks, and the name of the game was "sexual immorality," would that make what I was doing sinful? Would it make it sexual immorality? No. Neither is the stuff in HP real "witchcraft" just because it's called so. I'm simply saying that the "witchcraft" in Harry Potter is fake. Not real. Not only fictional, but so far from the real thing that it would be ludicrous to compare the two.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:21 pm
Cometh The Inquisitor
Holypimp
I "get it" Cometh, the age range for these books is like 6-99. Just outa curiosity how many 6 year olds honestly have a good grasp on the difference between fact and fiction

Well, at age six, I very much doubt that kiddies are reading Harry Potter, but I get your point.

Ok, lets set the age level for HP at, around 9-sih (that's like, 3rd-4th grade). Ok, at that point, the kids have already had a rather large exposure to pretend and fiction (most of it coming from themselves, I might add). They can understand what is real and what is not with a simple, 'this book is make-believe'. If they are never told that, then it is not hte book that is at fault, it is the moronic, quasi-abusive parents who are to blame for hte child's delusions.
Have you ever had an imagination??? Usually for a kid exspecially its right around that age like 9 or 10 that their imaginations are greatest..and some kids go as far as thinking that what they are making believe is real...so if this book makes them believe that they are witches and wizards it is perfectly ok???  

Silent Expressor

Tarrou

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:23 pm
Holypimp

Ahem. May I point something out? Look at the verse you gave me. Now, see right there at the beginning? The part where it says 'the acts of a sinful nature'? Yeah. Do you see 'reading and/or writing about X sin' listed anywhere up there? I thought not.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:24 pm
Holypimp

Matthew 13:44

44"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field.

Now then, does this sound like very christian behavior? No. The guy tricks cheats and lies to the original owner of the feild to get a material posesion. All three of which are ver serious sins.

So, how's this different then Harry Potter?  

ioioouiouiouio

Silent Expressor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:26 pm
Gilwen
Holypimp

Okay, for example: if I came up with a game that included collecting rocks, and the name of the game was "sexual immorality," would that make what I was doing sinful? Would it make it sexual immorality? No. Neither is the stuff in HP real "witchcraft" just because it's called so. I'm simply saying that the "witchcraft" in Harry Potter is fake. Not real. Not only fictional, but so far from the real thing that it would be ludicrous to compare the two.
Actually I would probabally have to disagree with you there as well....depending on the age group of the people you were playing this game with....you could probabally call it sexual immorality and that would be a good name for it because our world is peverted. The fact that she calls everyone witches and wizards isnt a big deal. Its the fact that she makes them go as far as casting spells (real or fake it dosnt matter.) If you have ever read a black magic book some stuff in there is latin. (I have friends who practice black magic)

OK I have to go to bed because I have school in 5 1/2 hours Ill continue this when schools over.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:27 pm
Holypimp
Have you ever had an imagination??? Usually for a kid exspecially its right around that age like 9 or 10 that their imaginations are greatest..and some kids go as far as thinking that what they are making believe is real...so if this book makes them believe that they are witches and wizards it is perfectly ok???

If, and I stress if Harry Potter went around 'making' kids 'believe in Witchcraft' (or, more accurately, 'follow witchcraft', as witchcraft is real and, as such, should be believed in), thenp I would agree with you that Harry Potter is evil.

However, you have not.  

ioioouiouiouio

Gilwen
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:27 pm
Cometh The Inquisitor
Gilwen

Proving that it is wiccan would be sufficient enough. Just because we've found new ways to sin, does not change the fallen nature of the sin itself.

But it isn't wiccan either. It's a fictional expression of a parody of witchcraft (e.g. broomsticks, cauldrons, witches with warts on their noses, etc.)  
Debate and Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 14 15 16 17 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff