Welcome to Gaia! ::

*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild

Back to Guilds

Reply Debate and Discussion
Harry Potter.....Good Or Bad [can be closed] Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 14 15 16 17 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Whats your opinion?
Good
68%
 68%  [ 48 ]
Bad
31%
 31%  [ 22 ]
Total Votes : 70

Gilwen
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:37 pm
Holypimp
Quote:
Confession is good enough for God, so why not you
Because anyone can say that they are a christian, Budha could've said he was a christian but that wouldnt have made him one. Mathew 7:21 Not everyone who says to me Lord Lord will enter the kingdom of heaven but only those who does the will of my father who is in heaven

But the point is, YOU'RE not the one who makes that call. Not now, not then.

Edit: Especially if you don't have any proof that she doesn't live a godly life.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:42 pm
Holypimp
Because anyone can say that they are a christian, Budha could've said he was a christian but that wouldnt have made him one. Mathew 7:21 Not everyone who says to me Lord Lord will enter the kingdom of heaven but only those who does the will of my father who is in heaven

Yeah, well, aside from your claims to being Christian and your literary witchhunt (pun intended), what proof do I have that you're Christian? Visited any prisoners lately? Comforted the sick? Clothed the needy? Or are you just saying that you're Christian?

See, we can play this game with anybody. The fact of the matter is that at a certain point, you have to take people at their word. I'm willing to take you at your word, I don't see why you can't take Rowling at hers.  

Tarrou

Silent Expressor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:47 pm
Gilwen
Holypimp
Quote:
Confession is good enough for God, so why not you

But the point is, YOU'RE not the one who makes that call. Not now, not then.

Edit: Especially if you don't have any proof that she doesn't live a godly life.
SHES WRITING ABOUT WITCHCRAFT....*calms down* read my first post the acts of the sinful nature are clear...  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:48 pm
Tangled Up In Blue
Holypimp

Yeah, well, aside from your claims to being Christian and your literary witchhunt (pun intended), what proof do I have that you're Christian? Visited any prisoners lately? Comforted the sick? Clothed the needy? Or are you just saying that you're Christian?

See, we can play this game with anybody. The fact of the matter is that at a certain point, you have to take people at their word. I'm willing to take you at your word, I don't see why you can't take Rowling at hers.
Because you have no proof in any direction you could make a general statement. But because Rowling Writes about Witchcraft and the bible says.....forget read my first post  

Silent Expressor

Gilwen
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:49 pm
Holypimp
SHES WRITING ABOUT WITCHCRAFT....*calms down* read my first post the acts of the sinful nature are clear...

And many people have responded to that post, suggesting that your claims are a) untrue to the books, and b) not conclusive regarding HP's connections with witchcraft. You've failed to provide any proof or back up for your claims.

In other words: She's not writing about witchcraft.

Edit: This was your "proof" on the subject.

"I found headlines and newspaper articles saying that satanic sects (such as wicca) are fighting to keep harry potter in public schools, if it has nothing to do with actual witchcraft then why would people that practice witchcraft fight so hard to keep these books in public and private schools?"

A statement that had nothing to do with the nature of the books whatsoever.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:51 pm
Holypimp
Because you have no proof in any direction you could make a general statement. But because Rowling Writes about Witchcraft and the bible says.....forget read my first post

I'm sorry. Could you find me the passage in the bible that says that you're prohibited from writing about witchcraft? Last I checked, you're just not supposed to actually practice it. Never mind that you haven't proven any real connection between Harry Potter and witchcraft other than certain shared iconography.  

Tarrou

Gilwen
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:53 pm
Tangled Up In Blue
Holypimp

I'm sorry. Could you find me the passage in the bible that says that you're prohibited from writing about witchcraft? Last I checked, you're just not supposed to actually practice it.

Yeah, looks to me like the authors of the Bible itself wrote about witchcraft plenty. wink  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:54 pm
Holypimp
Mathew 7:1 Do not judge, or you too will be judged.

If you are going to quote Scripture at me, then please do it in context.

Matthew 7:1-2
"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."

It changes the meaning, you know.

Quote:
Thats kind of harsh dont you think....By what you said if someone stumbles with their walk with christ say with drinking if someone else drinks and that causes them to stumble then they must be to retarded to follow christ

And, no, I was not being harsh. If something as simple as a self-admitted work of fiction causes one to stumble in one's moral principles in reality, then that person, first and foremost, requires mental aid, as they are obviously exibiting signs of schizoprenia. When one is under the (untreated) influence of such a (potentially) crippling mental disorder, then they simply cannot make a commitment to accept Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior.

If they don't have schizophrenia and are still unable to discern self-admitted fiction from reality, then they are obviously idiots and are in need of a severe smack up-side the head.  

ioioouiouiouio

Tarrou

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:54 pm
Gilwen
Yeah, looks to me like the authors of the Bible itself wrote about witchcraft plenty. wink

I wonder if this startling revelation should cause us to question their piety?  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:55 pm
I have a post on page two....The bible dosnt say stay away from one type of witchcraft because its real, but not another because its fiction, it dosnt say stay away from real witches and wizards because they sin but its ok to look at the fake ones that ride broom sticks and use cauldrons....It says the acts of the sinful nature are clear  

Silent Expressor

Gods Jester

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:58 pm
The Bible says it in (I THINK) Ex. 22 "Thou shalt not permit a witch or sorcerer to live". So, I'm sitting here lmao because I'm not even very well versed in the scripture and Im "up against" a few theologians. Any way, ya, and don't pull the "it wasn't literal" or "that was in the old testament" bull because it doesn't work.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:59 pm
Holypimp
I have a post on page two....The bible dosnt say stay away from one type of witchcraft because its real, but not another because its fiction, it dosnt say stay away from real witches and wizards because they sin but its ok to look at the fake ones that ride broom sticks and use cauldrons....It says the acts of the sinful nature are clear

If they're so clear, how come half the Christian community is not convicted about their reading habits?

The Bible doesn't even mention fictional witchcraft. Because it's not worth mentioning.  

Gilwen
Crew

Silent Expressor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:59 pm
Quote:
Matthew 7:1-2
"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."
Ok sorry I quote it in context, but it just means that because you are calling someone an idiot because what they may stumble with, you will be judged by God in the same manner. And what happened to the verse that says call no man a fool (fool=Idiot)  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:00 pm
kajun_chicken
The Bible says it in (I THINK) Ex. 22 "Thou shalt not permit a witch or sorcerer to live". So, I'm sitting here lmao because I'm not even very well versed in the scripture and Im "up against" a few theologians. Any way, ya, and don't pull the "it wasn't literal" or "that was in the old testament" bull because it doesn't work.

The question isn't whether or not witchcraft is a sin. We all know that it is. smile  

Gilwen
Crew

Silent Expressor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:01 pm
kajun_chicken
Thank you....I really needed someone to back me up....And Im not a theologian im just a 16 year old kid trying to make a point  
Debate and Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 14 15 16 17 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff