Welcome to Gaia! ::

*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild

Back to Guilds

Reply Debate and Discussion
Harry Potter.....Good Or Bad [can be closed] Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 ... 14 15 16 17 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Whats your opinion?
Good
68%
 68%  [ 48 ]
Bad
31%
 31%  [ 22 ]
Total Votes : 70

Silent Expressor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:25 pm
Quote:
If reading a work of fiction with latin words in it causes someone to stumble in their walk with christ, then they have no business having a walk with christ in the first place. No, really. people as mentally disabled as that simply cannot make the proper decisions/choices necesarry to accept Christ as their Lord and Savior.
Mathew 7:1 Do not judge, or you too will be judged. Thats kind of harsh dont you think....By what you said if someone stumbles with their walk with christ say with drinking if someone else drinks and that causes them to stumble then they must be to retarded to follow christ  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:28 pm
Quote:
assume you're talking about Voldemort
Yeah whatever Voldermort, mortimor same thing  

Silent Expressor

Silent Expressor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:35 pm
Quote:
As to Harry losing his virginity, I don't recall Harry being Rowling's author surrogate. The fact that a character in novel does X does not mean that the author is necessarily endorsing X -- an important fact to remember. And, by the by, who made you the arbiter of what Christian authors do and do not write?
Its not so much that she shouldnt be writing about sex....Its that if she does in fact have harry have sex or any other of the characters it tells readers that sex outside the security of marriage is ok and the bible says its not. Unless she decides to have one of her other characters who are married have sex this is what it promotes. And if she does allow one of the characters to have sex think about the hundreds of 10 years old and younger kids who read these books.....Im sure mothers and fathers dont really want to explain the facts of life to their 6 year old because J.K. Rowling decides to put x rated material in her book  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:53 pm
Quote:
However, the first post was so riddled with untrue statements that I have to safeguard my mind against it.
I never made one untrue statement, the argument in my last thread about J.K. Rowling being a practicing wicca was a legitimate argument (she admitted it on the Oprah show). What made the argument difficult was after the Oprah show she made several claims that refuted the original claim. So at one point and time she did admit to being a wiccan, if she became a christian since that time I would still have issues with her books.

Quote:
If there is no problem with a LotR character being called a wizard

For everyone arguing about LOTR I have Issues with that book to, but this debate is about Harry Potter so can we please try to stay on topic.  

Silent Expressor

Gilwen
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:04 pm
Holypimp
Quote:
However, the first post was so riddled with untrue statements that I have to safeguard my mind against it.
I never made one untrue statement, the argument in my last thread about J.K. Rowling being a practicing wicca was a legitimate argument (she admitted it on the Oprah show). What made the argument difficult was after the Oprah show she made several claims that refuted the original claim. So at one point and time she did admit to being a wiccan, if she became a christian since that time I would still have issues with her books.

I wasn't talking about your last thread. I was talking about the first post in this thread. The one that had about 8 statements about the books that were wrong, and that I subsequently listed and addressed.

Quote:

Quote:
If there is no problem with a LotR character being called a wizard

For everyone arguing about LOTR I have Issues with that book to, but this debate is about Harry Potter so can we please try to stay on topic.

We are. We're comparing the problems that you have with Harry Potter to other popular literature that is not under the heavy fire that Harry Potter is, simply because the writers were theologians. So, if you have problems with LotR, why ARE we talking about Harry Potter? LotR set an Oscar record and has garnered millions of fans. What's the difference? Why pick on one and not the other?

Why pick on any of the above if people who are familiar with the books are not suffering in their faith as a result? Isn't the Holy Spirit in their lives more of an authority on the subject than you, who read the book once, in order to merely search for evil , and got many facts about the books wrong in the end?

As to this alleged statement on Oprah, do you have a transcript of the interview? This statement is mysteriosly lost and in contrast with many other statments, so I'd like to see proof.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:11 pm
Quote:
One more thing: it's bad to read things just to get into arguments about them. If you read something with the prejudice of hating it or seeing evil in it
I didnt pick up the books to find evil in them, I didnt pick up the books with intentions of hating them, I picked up the books with 2 intentions my first intention was to see what the whole big deal with them was...and my second was to possibly find something that would give people reasons why they shouldnt read the books, If there werent witches and wizards and big 3 headed dogs (which i have other issues with) in the books I would have enjoyed them and this debate would never have happened.....but the Bible says Witchcraft in general is a sin. It dosnt say this type is a sin, but this type because its fiction is ok. It does not say, this one over here where they worship the devil and practice black magic stay away from but the one that is just couldrons and latin is just stick your head in and see what its all about...No it says the acts of the sinful nature are clear...one of these acts is witchcraft....

And if J.K. Rowling is a christian author she should not be writing about witchcraft unless she is showing that witchcraft is a craft that will end badly.....as The Chronicles Of Narnia do..... My argument for the wizard of oz still stands as some sections you could very easily say yes this is witchcraft, the white witch could very easily be considered to be wiccan because wiccans consider themselves white witches. The other two witches still represent evil characters in the book and movies which is exactally what the Bible says that wiches are......And if someone could show me one other piece of literature that is written by J.K. Rowling that even suggests that she is a christian (that dosnt contain witchcraft) I wont bother to talk about whether or not she is a christian.

Whoever brought up Dennis The Menace, That series was to show how boys are at his age it does not show any kind of vengence except for mr whats his face going over and talking to the kids parents, so it shows a kid who happens to be a little deviant, what little kid isnt a little deviant exspecially at that age, but that is not what this debate is about......It is about Harry Potter....so can we please stay on topic thank you  

Silent Expressor

Gilwen
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:18 pm
Holypimp
And if someone could show me one other piece of literature that is written by J.K. Rowling that even suggests that she is a christian (that dosnt contain witchcraft) I wont bother to talk about whether or not she is a christian.

A prerequisite for Christianity is NOT adding God into your works of fiction. The fact that the HP books are the only thing Rowling has ever written proves nothing about her faith. The woman has claimed to be a Christians several times in interviews.* That should be enough for you, or at least enough for you to stop arguing that she's a wiccan.

Quote:

Whoever brought up Dennis The Menace, That series was to show how boys are at his age it does not show any kind of vengence except for mr whats his face going over and talking to the kids parents, so it shows a kid who happens to be a little deviant, what little kid isnt a little deviant exspecially at that age, but that is not what this debate is about......It is about Harry Potter....so can we please stay on topic thank you

No. I'm trying to get my point across by comparison, since logic and Scripture aren't convincing you. So it's okay to be "a little deviant" if you're Dennis the Menace, but if you're Harry Potter you're a "relativist?" Dennis: breaks rules because "boys will be boys" I.E. ORIGINAL SIN. Harry: breaks rules to save lives. So why excuse Dennis and not Harry? I'm trying to show you how you don't even believe your own argument across the board. That is, the argument that any fiction that portrays rule-breaking is condoning it.

~Gilwen

*From HPfGU forum:

11. Jensen, Jeff. "Fire Storm: Interview with J.K. Rowling." Entertainment Weekly (4 August 2000). Yahoo Message 219 claims that Rowling professed to being Wiccan in an appearance on the Oprah Show; however, this seems to be largely unsubstantiated and counter to other public statements by Rowling.

12. Interview with Evan Solomon, CBC Newsworld Hot Type (21 July 2000); and AOL Chat -- May 2000. See also Yahoo Clubs Message 1485.

13. Interview with Joanna Carey, Guardian Unlimited (16 February 1999).  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:20 pm
Quote:
So, if you have problems with LotR, why ARE we talking about Harry Potter
Couple reasons, one I havent read the whole series to LOTR, two I know more about the Harry Potter Books, three J.R.R. Tolkein became a christian shortly after writing his books, C.S. Lewis witnessed to him. So I dont find it nessesary to bring up sins that someone may have comitted before accepting christ, because christ says that he forgets them so who are we as humans to remember sins that God has forgotten  

Silent Expressor

Gilwen
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:22 pm
Holypimp
Quote:
So, if you have problems with LotR, why ARE we talking about Harry Potter
Couple reasons, one I havent read the whole series to LOTR, two I know more about the Harry Potter Books, three J.R.R. Tolkein became a christian shortly after writing his books, C.S. Lewis witnessed to him. So I dont find it nessesary to bring up sins that someone may have comitted before accepting christ, because christ says that he forgets them so who are we as humans to remember sins that God has forgotten

Sorry, you have it backwards. Tolkien's influence converted Lewis to Anglicanism.

Edited.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:24 pm
Quote:
Jensen, Jeff. "Fire Storm: Interview with J.K. Rowling." Entertainment Weekly (4 August 2000). Yahoo Message 219 claims that Rowling professed to being Wiccan in an appearance on the Oprah Show; however, this seems to be largely unsubstantiated and counter to other public statements by Rowling.

12. Interview with Evan Solomon, CBC Newsworld Hot Type (21 July 2000); and AOL Chat -- May 2000. See also Yahoo Clubs Message 1485.

I stand corrected, but even if she has only written these books something in her life besides her own words and these books should say that she is a christian  

Silent Expressor

Gilwen
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:26 pm
Holypimp
Quote:
Jensen, Jeff. "Fire Storm: Interview with J.K. Rowling." Entertainment Weekly (4 August 2000). Yahoo Message 219 claims that Rowling professed to being Wiccan in an appearance on the Oprah Show; however, this seems to be largely unsubstantiated and counter to other public statements by Rowling.

I stand corrected, but even if she has only written these books something in her life besides her own words and these books should say that she is a christian

How do you know her life doesn't glorify God? Do you know her personally? Face it: the only thing you know about her is her books, and you're judging her and calling her a liar about her faith based on the fictional works alone.

Edit: Romans 10:9
That if you confess with your mouth Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

Confession is good enough for God, so why not you?  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:27 pm
Quote:
Sorry, you have it backwards. Tolkien's influence converted Lewis to Anglicanism.
Not from what Ive heard but you may be right, Like I said I know very little about J.R.R. Tolkein. Anglican is just another part of the many sects of the christian church anyway.  

Silent Expressor

Gilwen
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:28 pm
Holypimp
Quote:
Not from what Ive heard but you may be right, Like I said I know very little about J.R.R. Tolkein. Anglican is just another part of the many sects of the christian church anyway.

Exactly. That's what I'm saying. Tolkien witnessed to Lewis, and as a result Lewis turned against his Atheistic beliefs.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:31 pm
Holypimp
Its not so much that she shouldnt be writing about sex....Its that if she does in fact have harry have sex or any other of the characters it tells readers that sex outside the security of marriage is ok and the bible says its not. Unless she decides to have one of her other characters who are married have sex this is what it promotes. And if she does allow one of the characters to have sex think about the hundreds of 10 years old and younger kids who read these books.....Im sure mothers and fathers dont really want to explain the facts of life to their 6 year old because J.K. Rowling decides to put x rated material in her book

I very much doubt that any such event would be describe in an X-rated manner. As you point out, the book is read by quite a few children (as well as quite a few young adults and adults, mind you). More likely than not, it would only be addressed indirectly so as to spare delicate sensibilities. I mean, Rowling's not Scooter Libby, for crying out loud. (Readers of the New Yorker will get that joke, for others, I'm afraid explaining it would be in poor taste.)

That, however, is not the point. The point is why you seem to believe that Christian kids are going to suddenly decide that Harry Potter is an equal or greater moral authority than the bible and start practicing witchcraft right and left if they read it. Are you saying that they're completely unable to utilize critical thinking when reading a book? I don't suppose you've got any statistics that might prove your point? You know, like some proof that kids are turning to witchcraft in droves? Because I certainly haven't seen anything to that effect.

Guarding your heart and your mind doesn't mean closing them off entirely.  

Tarrou

Silent Expressor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:33 pm
Quote:
Confession is good enough for God, so why not you
Because anyone can say that they are a christian, Budha could've said he was a christian but that wouldnt have made him one. Mathew 7:21 Not everyone who says to me Lord Lord will enter the kingdom of heaven but only those who does the will of my father who is in heaven  
Debate and Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 ... 14 15 16 17 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff