Welcome to Gaia! ::

*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild

Back to Guilds

Reply Debate and Discussion
Harry Potter.....Good Or Bad [can be closed] Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Whats your opinion?
Good
68%
 68%  [ 48 ]
Bad
31%
 31%  [ 22 ]
Total Votes : 70

Silent Expressor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:08 pm
crazimonkeychik

i've read many vooks recently......... i've never read the harry potter books but many of my friends have . they say the way the story is told is great writing.the way the book pulls you in and hooks you so you can't even put it down, is a good style of writing.
but the way whichcraft is portraied in these books could be considered evil. the fact that the book at first was geared to children around 12 and the got darker shows how people think about ratings,(PG, PG-13, etc.) and morals. the bible says to keep you body and mind pure of all things evil, because your body is God's temple. so watching the movies and reading the books could be considered and filling your brain with unwholesome things, such as whichcraft and evil. i understan that many people have different standards as to what the watch, read, listen to, and talk about. but if ur a true christian you wouldn't say " oh it's ok ....i don't believe in whichcraft.....it doesn't matter if i watch these movies ,or read these books.", that just proves hollywood right about how they should be rated. the more of a certain age group that watches and/or reads the story shows the level they should rate it at. it matters to God. he doesn't want your mind corupted by the things of this world.

so i leave you with this ....think of what you would do if God was sitting next to you ,or in the same room. would he be happy whith what your doing?
thanks ....this is one of the many points Ive been trying to get across.....and you pretty much summed up everything into one post...  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:02 am

how many peopel have read the bible?......one of the main evils portrade in the bible is temptation. in the bible satin tempts adam and eve with the fruit God said not to eat. but satin's cunning ways led them to eat the fruit......the second they ate it they knew they had done wrong....thus the beginning of sin. if they wouldn't have eaten the fruit in the first palce we wouldn't have the harrypotter books today....we would be in paridise free from sin. in genises chapter3 it says:
Genesis 3:1-5
1 Now the serpent was the shrewdest of all the creatures the LORD God had made. "Really?" he asked the woman. "Did God really say you must not eat any of the fruit in the garden?"
2 "Of course we may eat it," the woman told him.
3 "It's only the fruit from the tree at the center of the garden that we are not allowed to eat. God says we must not eat it or even touch it, or we will die."
4 "You won't die!" the serpent hissed.
5 "God knows that your eyes will be opened when you eat it. You will become just like God, knowing everything, both good and evil."

knowing that the study of whichcraft is wrong and evil, and still reading about it, its just wrong. the way the books are writter and the movies directed, is to tempt u and show you.."it's ok" but in reality it's really not. the entising portrail of darkness and evil is ment to make u go "ooooo, wow that looks kool." but in the back of your mind' it's saying "i really shouldn't watch this or read these books. God wouldn't be very happy with me if i did, he says to fill my mind with evil and unwholesome things is wrong." but you still go and watch it or go and borrow the books from a friend.
the thing to do is the run away from teptation not toward it. if you go toward it you'r e letting satin win.

think about it, again i leave you with this, if God were sitting next to you would you do half the things you do on a normal basis?

crazimonkeychik

Silent Expressor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:52 am
crazimonkeychik

how many peopel have read the bible?......one of the main evils portrade in the bible is temptation. in the bible satin tempts adam and eve with the fruit God said not to eat. but satin's cunning ways led them to eat the fruit......the second they ate it they knew they had done wrong....thus the beginning of sin. if they wouldn't have eaten the fruit in the first palce we wouldn't have the harrypotter books today....we would be in paridise free from sin. in genises chapter3 it says:
Genesis 3:1-5
1 Now the serpent was the shrewdest of all the creatures the LORD God had made. "Really?" he asked the woman. "Did God really say you must not eat any of the fruit in the garden?"
2 "Of course we may eat it," the woman told him.
3 "It's only the fruit from the tree at the center of the garden that we are not allowed to eat. God says we must not eat it or even touch it, or we will die."
4 "You won't die!" the serpent hissed.
5 "God knows that your eyes will be opened when you eat it. You will become just like God, knowing everything, both good and evil."

knowing that the study of whichcraft is wrong and evil, and still reading about it, its just wrong. the way the books are writter and the movies directed, is to tempt u and show you.."it's ok" but in reality it's really not. the entising portrail of darkness and evil is ment to make u go "ooooo, wow that looks kool." but in the back of your mind' it's saying "i really shouldn't watch this or read these books. God wouldn't be very happy with me if i did, he says to fill my mind with evil and unwholesome things is wrong." but you still go and watch it or go and borrow the books from a friend.
the thing to do is the run away from teptation not toward it. if you go toward it you'r e letting satin win.

think about it, again i leave you with this, if God were sitting next to you would you do half the things you do on a normal basis?
biggrin thats even more helpful that your first post. Thanks.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:44 pm
Paradoxical Messiah

Now, in the state of Pennsylvania an orgy is defined as five people in a room without shoes on (yes, this is actually how it is defined).

haha, awesome. Here in California (where I live) an orgie is defined as five feet with a 1ft. radius of each other.

My friends and I have orgies every lunch.

XD  

ioioouiouiouio

Silent Expressor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:23 pm
Cometh The Inquisitor
Paradoxical Messiah

Now, in the state of Pennsylvania an orgy is defined as five people in a room without shoes on (yes, this is actually how it is defined).

haha, awesome. Here in California (where I live) an orgie is defined as five feet with a 1ft. radius of each other.

My friends and I have orgies every lunch.

XD
This is besides the point. The "Orgies" that the bible is talking about is having sex with more than 1 partner at a time. (threesomes, foursomes and etc)  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:04 pm
As I stated in the other Christian guild, Harry Potter promotes and encourages WITCHCRAFT, which leads to HELL!  

Atarashi No Sensei

dnangel64

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:06 pm
i read harry potter but i've never really looked at it that way i don't think i'll read any more  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:11 pm
It's a fiction book. Just because you wrote a fictional story that includes elements you disagree with, that doesn't mean you endorse them or practice them. This is true even in nonfiction. When someone writes about warfare and bloodshed, the guards at the concentration camps in the Holocaust, the lives of dictators, the burning of supposed witches at Salem, the colonization of the Americas, they aren't necessarily endorsing any of it. They are simply writing about it. With fiction, there is even more leeway to have fun with your stories. Besides, reading about witchcraft doesn't make you a witch.  

Shanthikumar

Spastic waffles

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:03 pm
This has probably all been said, but I'll make my stand anyway.

One word. Fantasy. Not real, imaginary, fake, pretend.

These books are for amuzement purposes. If someone was to get ideas from this book, they were already on unsolid ground anyway. This book's version of witchcraft is waving a stick around and saying something in latin. I highly doubt that's anywhere close to the way real witchcraft works.

Besides, a lot of things refer to magic. Children's fairy tales refer to magic: pumpkins turning into cariagges, flying carpets, talking animals, everlasting sleep. That's why it's a TALE. Again, I say, not real. What's the difference in a fairy Godmother saying "Bippity Boppity Boo" and Harry brandishing a strip of wood and saying "Accio"?

Now, to respond individually to your arguments:

Argument 1: Sure, there's witchcraft in these books. But it's not real. I realize that. However, when reading these books, I'm not thinking of going out into my yard and grabbing myself a stick and trying to make the remote fly to me by saying "accio" and pointing my new "wand" at it. I'm reading for the plot, the character development, the pure amuzement of it all. They're not influencing me in a negative way. I'm just entertained for a bit.

So JK Rowling has a different outlook on life than I do. I can think what I do, she thinks what she does. I don't really care. Again, it goes back to the "these books do not influence my life/way of thinking" statement.

2: To quote myself: "If someone was to get ideas from this book, they were already on unsolid ground anyway."

3: I'm writing a book that involves magic. There's nothing to do with wicca at all (or so I hope) but It's got magic in it. I'm a Christian. It's just a fantasy book that involves people shape-shifting into dragons and a girl who saves an entire alternate dimention.

4: Conicidence? I'm not entirely sure about this one, I haven't seen it. But I'd almost bet you anything there were a few people within the protestors that were wiccan/something similar and the media (as they so love to do) blew it way out of proportion.

5: I half-agree, half don't. I agree that there are many differences between Narnia/Wiz of Oz and Harry Potter. However, only the evil characters really look down on muggles (such as the main villan, Voldemort). The "good guys" in this book respect muggles, at the very least. One of my favorite characters is obsessed with muggles! So, being a muggle isn't shown as a "bad" thing, just kind of something that happens.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:29 pm
MacBeth (or Mackers to our theatre-minded friends) had witches in it. Reading MacBeth or, God forbid, actually playing a part in MacBeth must therefore make you a witch. C'mon, people.  

Tarrou

Siren of Saturn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:45 am
i hope we have as much leniency with the Anti-christ as we do harry potter. -_-
*sigh*  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:58 am
Tangled Up In Blue
MacBeth (or Mackers to our theatre-minded friends) had witches in it. Reading MacBeth or, God forbid, actually playing a part in MacBeth must therefore make you a witch. C'mon, people.
I didnt say that at all. Macbeth happens to be a very well written play. Harry Potter on the other hand is getting closer and closer to actual witchcraft its rediculous. As I said before I have people who grew up in a Witchcraft "cultic" enviorment in my church, and even would have inherited some "powers" because of their lineage and they are saying that Harry Potter is dangerously close to the real thing. Now if people who grew up and their whole mind set was witchcraft, and they became a christian, wouldnt they know how close to reality it actually was.  

Silent Expressor

Silent Expressor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:06 pm
After reading through some of the posts it looks like I have to make my original argument yet again

Quote:
Galations 5: 19-21 The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.
This specifically mentions withcraft, which harry potter contains. If people would open their eyes wide enough they could see this. Now Galation 5:19-21 gives you things that are basically evil

Quote:
1 Thessalonians 5:22 Abstain from all appearance of evil
This verse tells you to avoid the appearance of that evil. So in reading Harry Potter you are not avoiding the appearance, you are allowing your mind to be open to the devils attacks, because its "fantasy and not real"  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:07 pm
Siren of Saturn
i hope we have as much leniency with the Anti-christ as we do harry potter. -_-
*sigh*
God help us if we do  

Silent Expressor

Tarrou

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:18 pm
Silent Expressor
I didnt say that at all. Macbeth happens to be a very well written play. Harry Potter on the other hand is getting closer and closer to actual witchcraft its rediculous. As I said before I have people who grew up in a Witchcraft "cultic" enviorment in my church, and even would have inherited some "powers" because of their lineage and they are saying that Harry Potter is dangerously close to the real thing. Now if people who grew up and their whole mind set was witchcraft, and they became a christian, wouldnt they know how close to reality it actually was.

And what, exactly, is 'actual witchcraft'? Allow me to fill you in on a little secret: none of the powers, potions, spells, locations, people, animals, minerals, or vegetables described in the Harry Potter series exist in reality. They are made up, fictitious, imaginary flights of fancy; there is nothing 'actual' about them. Even children who read Harry Potter and then attempt to replicate any of the magic contained therein ought to have the empirical sense to realize that it's all just made up.
And as to your ex-cultic friends, what sort of environment did they grow up in, exactly? Most 'witchcraft' in this day and age involves a bunch of New Agers standing around in a field at night invoking an earth god(ess) and dancing about like a bunch of loonies. It certainly doesn't have any parallels in Harry Potter.  
Debate and Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff