Welcome to Gaia! ::

*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild

Back to Guilds

Reply Debate and Discussion
Harry Potter.....Good Or Bad [can be closed] Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Whats your opinion?
Good
68%
 68%  [ 48 ]
Bad
31%
 31%  [ 22 ]
Total Votes : 70

Tarrou

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:28 pm
This:
Go Tell It on the Mt.
What I can say is that she should not be writing about a lot of what she is writing about if she is indeed a christian. She should recognize the fact that her books could cause someone to stumble with their walk with Christ.

Implies that Christians should not engage in practices that might cause people to stumble on their walk with Christ (no matter how daft they'd have to be to have that happen).

This:
Quote:
The Books could cause someone to stumble with their walk with christ as could anything else that is made by the world.

Implies that everything made in this world could cause someone to stumble on his/her walk with Christ.

Conclusion: Christians must never, ever do anything other than read the bible because it might cause someone, somewhere to stumble on his/her walk with Christ. Congratulations, you have successfully made Christianity the most painfully boring religious doctrine on the face of the earth.

(All emphasis mine.)  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:40 pm
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  

Silent Expressor

Tarrou

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:55 pm
Go Tell It on the Mt.
My point in what you were quoting is that J.K. Rowling if she is indeed a Christian should not be writing about a practice that could cause someone to stumble, And yes go back to where I posted the Moral Compass if it causes someone to stumble then dont do it...Its that simple.

As could, by your own admission, anything else in this life. Ergo, do nothing. Have fun with that.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:46 pm
Go Tell It on the Mt.
It appears that the Harry Potter Debate has kinda died so Im just going to finish it off with this statement.

I was just waiting for your full reply.

Quote:
Regardless of what you believe about the harry potter books as a christian you know that the Bible specifically condemns witchcraft as a sin.

This is something that no one ever disputed.

Quote:
My points throughout this debate have been that we should avoid the appearance of evil and sin, which is why we should avoid the harry potter books. In giving this advise I realized that my screen name showed an appearance of evil, which is why I decided to change it.

There is plenty of evil in the Bible, and it is not always followed by a very strong (or even clear) condemnation.

Quote:
The Books could cause someone to stumble with their walk with christ as could anything else that is made by the world. As for J.K. Rowlings religion I dont know her heart I only know what her books tell about her, I cannot say that she is not a christian based only on her books, What I can say is that she should not be writing about a lot of what she is writing about if she is indeed a christian. She should recognize the fact that her books could cause someone to stumble with their walk with Christ.

Son, The Bible can and has caused people to stumble in their walk with Christ. Yes, I'm being serious.

Quote:
Something that should have been said earlier but wasnt, just because you are a member of a congregation made up of christians does not automatically make you a christian, so in saying that J.K. Rowling is a Christian because she is a member of some luthern church im sorry your wrong. What makes you a christian is where your heart is, not what church you are a part of.

I agree with you on this part. Going to church does not automatically make you christian.  

ioioouiouiouio

Silent Expressor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:10 pm
Quote:
There is plenty of evil in the Bible, and it is not always followed by a very strong (or even clear) condemnation.
So does that mean that we shouldnt avoid it?

Quote:
Son, The Bible can and has caused people to stumble in their walk with Christ. Yes, I'm being serious.
Sure, but thats only one of the 4-5 questions from the moral compass (its posted on either page 9 or 10 of this thread). The Bible can and is glorified by God, It is not of the world. My point is the Harry Potter books are more likely to cause someone to stumble....than the bible is anyway..

Quote:
I agree with you on this part. Going to church does not automatically make you christian.
Cool I think this may be the first thing we agree on biggrin  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:01 pm
Go Tell It on the Mt.
So does that mean that we shouldnt avoid it?

No, it means that we should have discernment, namely, on what is right and what is not. If we can keep the two seperate, then we're peachy keen.

Quote:
My point is the Harry Potter books are more likely to cause someone to stumble....than the bible is anyway..

So now it's relative? Does this mean that watching, say... an anti-christian movie is ok because it is not as likely to cause someone to stumble as say... watching a snuff film?  

ioioouiouiouio

Big_Wave_Legacy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:46 pm
Harry Potter Is not good to read but I believe it wont be a sin as long as u dont do what they do, but the thing that gets me is I had a teacher read Harry Potter OUT LOUND in Class but we cant bring a bible to school COME ON!  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:24 pm
Big_Wave_Legacy
Harry Potter Is not good to read but I believe it wont be a sin as long as u dont do what they do, but the thing that gets me is I had a teacher read Harry Potter OUT LOUND in Class but we cant bring a bible to school COME ON!

Well, you can bring the Bible to school (if your school won't let you, they are violating your first amendmant rights and you should let your local county supervisor of education (or whatever you call it where you live) know of this), and Harry Potter is a secular book, while the Bible is a religious one.  

ioioouiouiouio

Pandemasu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:28 pm
All I can say is, you need to learn to draw the line between fiction and reality. Harry Potter isn't bad, infact its just entertainment, nother more. Some people take it too seriously.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:59 pm
Ri-san
All I can say is, you need to learn to draw the line between fiction and reality. Harry Potter isn't bad, infact its just entertainment, nother more. Some people take it too seriously.
I cant believe I have to post this agian, but I guess Im going to have to....

1Thessalonians 5:22 Abstain from all appearance of evil.

Galatians 5:19-21
The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

So....if galations 5:20 says that witchcraft is an act of the sinful nature (which makes it evil) and 1st Thessalonions 5:22 says abstain from all appearance of evil....how can you then argue that its just fiction...on this argument you arent arguing with me but the Bible....  

Silent Expressor

Paradoxical Messiah

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:44 pm
Go Tell It on the Mt.

The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

So....if galations 5:20 says that witchcraft is an act of the sinful nature (which makes it evil) and 1st Thessalonions 5:22 says abstain from all appearance of evil....how can you then argue that its just fiction...on this argument you arent arguing with me but the Bible....

Now, I have italicised and bolded the word orgies from the list you provided. Now, in the state of Pennsylvania an orgy is defined as five people in a room without shoes on (yes, this is actually how it is defined). Must I then shy away from all rooms that contain five shoeless people then? I mean, it says that orgies are sins, and that we should stay away from such, so then, when in Pennsylvania, do I simply stay away from those rooms, or is it merely foolish? What I am asking here is to what extent should such be followed?  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:44 pm
Paradoxical Messiah
Go Tell It on the Mt.

Now, I have italicised and bolded the word orgies from the list you provided. Now, in the state of Pennsylvania an orgy is defined as five people in a room without shoes on (yes, this is actually how it is defined). Must I then shy away from all rooms that contain five shoeless people then? I mean, it says that orgies are sins, and that we should stay away from such, so then, when in Pennsylvania, do I simply stay away from those rooms, or is it merely foolish? What I am asking here is to what extent should such be followed?
OK...that is a good point...different versions word it differently for example the new living translation puts it this way....19When you follow the desires of your sinful nature, your lives will produce these evil results: sexual immorality, impure thoughts, eagerness for lustful pleasure, 20idolatry, participation in demonic activities, hostility, quarreling, jealousy, outbursts of anger, selfish ambition, divisions, the feeling that everyone is wrong except those in your own little group, 21envy, drunkenness, wild parties, and other kinds of sin. Let me tell you again, as I have before, that anyone living that sort of life will not inherit the Kingdom of God.
so you now know that it is specifically talking about an orgy as in 3 or more people having sex....
Edit: so you should follow what the bible says. So avoid having sex with more than one person and avoid sorcery,witchcraft, and participation in demon activities......  

Silent Expressor

Silent Expressor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:53 pm
Quote:
So now it's relative? Does this mean that watching, say... an anti-christian movie is ok because it is not as likely to cause someone to stumble as say... watching a snuff film?
Im not saying its relative what I am saying is the bible is less likely to cause someone to stumble then the harry potter books. IF the bible causes a christian to stumble with their walk with God how strong of a christian are they anyway???  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:01 pm
Quote:
2) This is one difference between my Harry Potter-reading friends and you: my friends have never told me they "don't care" about what I have to say or about what I think
.No one says that they dont care about what you are saying or about what you think....You are making very valid points I just disagree with most of what you have said.  

Silent Expressor

crazimonkeychik

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:03 pm

i've read many vooks recently......... i've never read the harry potter books but many of my friends have . they say the way the story is told is great writing.the way the book pulls you in and hooks you so you can't even put it down, is a good style of writing.
but the way whichcraft is portraied in these books could be considered evil. the fact that the book at first was geared to children around 12 and the got darker shows how people think about ratings,(PG, PG-13, etc.) and morals. the bible says to keep you body and mind pure of all things evil, because your body is God's temple. so watching the movies and reading the books could be considered and filling your brain with unwholesome things, such as whichcraft and evil. i understan that many people have different standards as to what the watch, read, listen to, and talk about. but if ur a true christian you wouldn't say " oh it's ok ....i don't believe in whichcraft.....it doesn't matter if i watch these movies ,or read these books.", that just proves hollywood right about how they should be rated. the more of a certain age group that watches and/or reads the story shows the level they should rate it at. it matters to God. he doesn't want your mind corupted by the things of this world.

so i leave you with this ....think of what you would do if God was sitting next to you ,or in the same room. would he be happy whith what your doing?  
Debate and Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff