Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sidekick Academy!

Back to Guilds

guild for Sidekick Academy, a superhero b/c! Or sidekick, if you wanna see it that way... 

Tags: superhero, sidekick, breedables, dc comics, marvel 

Reply Dear Diary [Journals]
{ Rookie } RAINBOW ☎ Camellia Carter (kotaline) Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

kotaline

Deathly Darling

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:30 pm
FINISH HIM.

with treble!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:34 pm
When she had told her daddy she was going to this school, he had expressly forbidden it.

She had then illustrated her case for attending with a well organized powerpoint and a half hour lecture, which her grandmother had forced him to attend the whole way through, after which things had been easier. Not easy, but easier. Like it or not, Cammy Carter was still attending the Academy at a late age, showing that her daddy, love him though she did, still had more sway over her life than she wanted. And she had always wanted him to look out for her before. She still did. But she also wanted to be the best superhero she could be, and gosh darn it, that meant learning things properly in a school, not getting private lessons for the rest of her life. Cammy wasn't caught up to many facets of the modern world, but she was keenly aware of the standards of education in Crantel, and she was determined not to be behind the times in that particular regard, even if all her outfits could have come right from a 1950s shopping magazine.

She opened her dresser drawers. No dresses in there now, she thought primly, pulling out something slightly more spandex. She had a real uniform now, and a real alias, and whether or not her daddy approved, it was all just really- really hip. It was better than playing around with her powers under supervision in an alleyway, it felt official, and Cammy had been brought up to do things by the book. Academy training wasn't traditional, but when tradition involved either hiding away and mucking about with powers you didn't fully understand or being led into a crime scene without experience, she'd much rather find the better option. And in the end, even her stiff old (but still darling!) grandpa had approved, although there was a fight about it.

There were more fights these days. Now that she was older, and still didn't know who her mama was, and still wasn't allowed to wear skirts above her knees (not that she'd want to, mind, but she was starting to want the option to). And it wasn't just spats between her and her father. Sometimes it seemed like the whole family was fighting, and then someone would bring up her mother and everyone would stop, the tense kind of stopping that wasn't associated with resolutions, but rather avoidance of some larger problem.

That was another reason Cammy had to come here, she thought grimly, slipping on her leotard. She had never gotten answers about her mother before. Not anything, and she might, Cammy gulped, be dead for all she knew. How? Why? What could be so grody that no one would even mention what happened? She had trouble investigating under the watchful gaze of a father and two grandparents. Alone, she'd be freer to figure things out.

And she had a lot to figure out, she reflected with gloom as she adjusted her goggles. Too much for Cammy Carter to deal with on her own! She hadn't fully realized just how big the world was until she came to the Academy, but just walking down the hallway made it awfully clear to her. The world was a big, scary place, and she had to sort through it if she wanted to be any good or figure out the answers she needed or even just get through the next day. It made her nervous. She had never really been nervous before, not stomach-churningly anxious at the thought of talking to people her own age, like, a lot. It had seemed much easier in movies!

Tying her hair back, she glanced into the mirror hanging over her wardrobe, and an unrecognizable face stared back. Luckily, Cammy Carter didn't have to deal with all of these things on her own. She had an alias now, Rainbow. Her daddy might have said she couldn't go to this school, but Rainbow was going for her, and Rainbow was going to have to be strong enough for both of them, because Cammy was pretty sure she couldn't do it alone even if her father showered her in blessings.

kotaline

Deathly Darling

kotaline

Deathly Darling

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:24 pm
While Daddy might have been worried for her the first few weeks of school (made more than apparent by daily letters and phone calls and six care packages she kept almost tripping over), the real head of the household at the Carter residence was Grandpa, and he was worried at her. Was she keeping up with her training regimen? Was she fraternizing with aliens, or worse, antiheroes? She could hear his questions ringing in the background of every call from her daddy, and so far all her answers had been right, as hard it was to keep up with the rigorous training exercises he had drafted for her before she left as well as her classes. but she got the uncomfortable feeling that he didn't believe her, or barely did, just like she always had got from him since she became a teenager. She knew that he saw her going to the Academy as a disappointment. As part of a family with hereditary powers, Grandpa had always made extra sure to keep her fighting fit so she could inherit the legacy. Since her daddy had decided to focus on family, Grandpa's alias, Radiance, had been the last real iconic hero in the bloodline, and if Rainbow didn't deliver, there was a chance that they'd be taken less seriously in the superhero community. Men with rainbow powers had a hard enough time being taken seriously as it was, so it was Grandpa's particular sore spot. he had made sure that Cammy would never need to rely on just her powers from a very young age, and whether dumping her into a pool with her hands tied, or teaching her how to decommission a firearm blindfolded, Grandpa had always been diligent. Some might say alarmingly diligent. Certainly more diligent than she was beginning to think that most of her peers' grandparents were.

She felt out of place, was the thing. Leaning against one of the stacks of care packages and doing her homework for her Intro to Hostage Situations course was different and good, and she had already started to discreetly look for archives of deaths due to supervillainy to try to find out what had happened to her mom, but she had also come here sort of because she had hoped to make more friends her own age. In regular civilian school she had always felt out of place because of her powers, but now that she was in a school where everybody had powers, she still felt out of place just because she was, well, her. It hardly seemed fair. Her grades were excellent! She had joined extracurriculars! And she was trying so hard to make friends! She still couldn't even find a partner for her teamwork practicals, though, let alone a partner for vigilante missions. She had tried a few people, but they had always sparred, and then backed right out of it. Was she going too hard on them? She didn't think she had been any harder on them than Grandpa had been on her.

Nyancat bumped up against her leg and she patted him. He was her best friend forever, of course, crayon-coloured vomit incidents aside, but she really, really wanted a people-best-friend. Someone who said words other than 'Nyan'. Someone who didn't smell like crayons and, mysteriously, freshly baked poptarts.

"I know," she told Nyancat absentmindedly. "In a long-term hostage situation, the hostage you've saved may have trouble re-adapting to normal society (see: offspring, significant others, and employees of supervillains)." She paused, and said, "I wish you could quiz me on it, though. Daddy used to, remember?"

Nyancat bumped up against her leg again.

"I miss Daddy and Grandma and Grandpa. I miss talking to them." She puffed out her cheeks and answered question five (to what extent should a hero involve themselves in hostage rehabilitation), curling a finger through her ponytail. "Do you think I should go back home? I know this stuff." She shut the book, and turned to the other homework she had left. "I was learning it all at home. Well, granted, Grandpa wouldn't have taught me much about extraterrestrials, since he's a little old fashioned about them, but still. Maybe I was better off in normal school."

Normal school. It had never been great for her, not since the first day of high school wasn't exactly like Grease. And then the next day, and the next day, and two years in, she had still been waiting for Danny Zuko to show up, and she got real tired of it. At least here she could try to find out about her mama.

She sighed and picked up the file underneath the books she had been reading, a list of civilian casualties in the 1980s that she had scanned. She didn't know how she could figure out which had involved Vivichromatic. She supposed maybe if she found out who his archnemeses were--

She was distracted by the sound of Nyancat vomiting Shocking Pink in the corner.

"Nyancat!" she hissed. "This dorm room is public property!"

Putting the list aside, she rushed to the bathroom to get the cleaning supplies. She supposed that she wasn't any worse than she had been before. Having her family around all the time had been super-duper, but she could still make friends here if she stuck it out. She might just end up turning out to be a Sandra Dee who only needed a well-timed musical number, after all.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:23 am
ART LASS!!

with jack!

kotaline

Deathly Darling

kotaline

Deathly Darling

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:29 am
After her Golden Age History class, Rainbow lingered behind. She had tried her hardest to place out of the course by dint of the fact that her grandpa was a crusty relic of that very age and never let anybody forget about it, but it had been required, which she didn't mind so much. She liked the material, and as a Crantellian superhero with hereditary powers whose family business provided a cover for superheroes, it was something relevant and familiar. She almost felt less homesick learning about the names and faces that she had grown up knowing. But the only thing the class was really useful for to her was this: that it gave her time to talk with the teacher about the one nonacademic project that occupied her waking hours, discovering who her mother was.

"Mr. Archivist?" she asked briskly, and the teacher looked up from his desk.

"Rainbow," he acknowledged curtly. "Class is over."

The Archivist was possibly one of the oldest, crustiest superheroes still active. He had worked with her grandpa and grandma when they were younger in "The Daily Gossip". His powers were not the sort that required spandex and fly-by-night escapades, so long after Radiance had hung up his cloak and cowl, The Archivist had continued to operate. Rainbow was sure her grandpa envied him for it. He was not the type that took to retirement easily. He and The Archivist had not stayed in contact, as hereditary families had to be careful with their identity even after they gave up a life of crimefighting. Still, it was plain by her powers that Rainbow, if not Cammy Carter, was Radiance's granddaughter, and she couldn't let someone who knew him get wind of what she was asking about. She must be cautious.

"I signed up for Debate Club recently," she said hastily. "And I've been looking into Golden Age superheroes and their Silver Age counterparts, since I want to introduce a debate about the role of the Silver Age superhero." She hesitated. "I was thinking something about the decline of the superman in the Silver Age and where Silver Age heroes failed in comparison to their Golden Age predecessors."

The Archivist, one of the last and most wizened Golden Age heroes, puffed out his chest slightly. "Yes, well, there's no doubt that the generation following the Golden Age was disappointing in comparison to its predecessor! That's not to say that it's all the fault of Silver Age superheroes. There were social factors, economic factors..."

"Bingo!" Rainbow pressed on as he took the bait. "So I was just wondering where I could research, you know, Silver Age property damage caused by superheroics, inadvertent civilian casualties, stuff like that. I'll really need to know all those facts for the debate, and it's not something I can really ask my family about, since I'm boarding at the school."

The Archivist squinted for a moment, and Rainbow felt a jolt of nerves, afraid that her hesitation to ask her family had made him suspicious. They were the perfect example of Silver Age decline, after all- Radiance had been a well known Golden Age hero and his son, Vivichromatic, was, even though it pained her to think it, a B-list hero at best. When her granpda had married a civilian, the bloodline was watered down, as much as she loved her grandma. Her daddy's powers were nothing like Grandpa's had been.

She was in luck, though- The Archivist had never been a very active hero, and seemed to see no reason to suspect her for not wanting to go to the hassle of going all the way to Crantel to do her research. He began writing a resource list in his spindly hand, then handed it to her. Carefully, she tucked it in her class folder, and beamed at him with her hundred-watt smile. "Thank you so much, sir, this is gonna be so super helpful. If there's any way I can thank you--"

The Archivist waved a hand dismissively. "Just invite me to the debate when it happens," he told Rainbow. "I'll be very interested to hear it."

Rainbow assented and hastily beat a retreat, cringing inwardly. It looked like she was going to have to join Debate Club for real.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:16 am
GENDER BLENDER

with jack!

kotaline

Deathly Darling

Dear Diary [Journals]

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items